Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 141976 times)

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #60 on: 01 March 2014, 22:42:59 »
It feels to me that the Confederation was in a rather unique position.  Most of the other Successor States seemed to view the Periphery powers as too unimportant to bother with.  Sun Tzu seemed to be the one to realize that, when your back is to the wall, ANY ally is better than no ally.  And the Confederation definitely profited from it.

Manipulation is a factor as well... especially during the Sun-Tzu-era.

What and who he can manipulate -- predominantly for the Confederation's advantage -- has long been suggested in the source material as part of Sun-Tzu's gambling with the various neighbouring Periphery powers.
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #61 on: 05 March 2014, 22:26:07 »
Anyone gotten some games in with Yao Lien's?  I used one against the bot and thought it handled alright as a substitute for a 3LL Cataphract.  The full force was a 9H Ti Ts'ang, Yao Lien, R10 Duan Gung, Po II, and a stand of Ying Long's.  I've wanted to actually field the Stealth Po II but MM has failed to read my skunkwerks file so I've been using the UAC-20 version.  Anyway, just curious on the experiences people have had (and yeah, if I had a stealth Po II, the Ying Long's would dig in to provide more point defense for the stealth tank.  Mimetic armor, digging in, and woods don't make you many friends, and thus why they don't have a transport (and I don't have any BV left, but still!))  :D

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 06 March 2014, 01:31:37 »
Anyone gotten some games in with Yao Lien's?  I used one against the bot and thought it handled alright as a substitute for a 3LL Cataphract.  The full force was a 9H Ti Ts'ang, Yao Lien, R10 Duan Gung, Po II, and a stand of Ying Long's.  I've wanted to actually field the Stealth Po II but MM has failed to read my skunkwerks file so I've been using the UAC-20 version.  Anyway, just curious on the experiences people have had (and yeah, if I had a stealth Po II, the Ying Long's would dig in to provide more point defense for the stealth tank.  Mimetic armor, digging in, and woods don't make you many friends, and thus why they don't have a transport (and I don't have any BV left, but still!))  :D

I've made some use of the hockey masked killers, yeah.
There nothing new or flash but they're effective. I play a lot of post-jihad-early Republic and hav rams use of them assisting mainly infantry based insurgencies and a like. I've found they're very effective taking down vehicles and a like and can take a fair walloping.

I'm keen to play through the new Capellan Crusades outlined in the new Historicals book and will put Yao Liens to good use!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #63 on: 07 March 2014, 06:34:04 »
So here's a question. All of the Vandal configs have C3B, be it masters or slave modules. However, as near as I can tell, the Vandal is the only 'Mech available to the CCAF that has C3B. So what are they doing, running in all-Vandal lances? Or is there some other 'Mech I'm missing here?
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just a little piglet serving the Capellan State!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #64 on: 07 March 2014, 07:27:08 »
I do believe Field Manual 3145 mentions the capture of a JagerMech line at Victoria, which likely produces the BC3 variant. Beyond that, however, it's likely the occasional captured Davion unit, custom rebuild or one-off OmniMech configuration.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #65 on: 07 March 2014, 10:36:14 »
Manipulation is a factor as well... especially during the Sun-Tzu-era.

What and who he can manipulate -- predominantly for the Confederation's advantage -- has long been suggested in the source material as part of Sun-Tzu's gambling with the various neighbouring Periphery powers.

The other thing to remember is that unlike most of the Periphery, Canopus was willing to trust an Inner Sphere nation.  They were looking to join the big leagues thanks to everyone's favorite Roman pirates, the Marians.  To do that they had to branch out.  First to the Anduriens, second to the Capellans.  The Taurians had to be manipulated in, and pretty much bugged out when called upon to fulfill Trinity Alliance obligations.  The other houses aren't going to get the same relationships with Periphery neighbor states.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #66 on: 07 March 2014, 21:14:54 »
So here's a question. All of the Vandal configs have C3B, be it masters or slave modules. However, as near as I can tell, the Vandal is the only 'Mech available to the CCAF that has C3B. So what are they doing, running in all-Vandal lances? Or is there some other 'Mech I'm missing here?

According to this post:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33732.msg849525.html

C3B and C3 can be linked in the same network.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #67 on: 07 March 2014, 21:52:51 »
According to this post:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,33732.msg849525.html

C3B and C3 can be linked in the same network.

It's worth nothing, however, that the network functions entirely as standard rather than boosted C3 in such a scenario.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #68 on: 10 March 2014, 08:31:12 »
Was Mad Max really that bad?! I'm almost terrified to get my hands on the Warrior trilogy. I feel like it's going to make my blood boil a little bit. Not that I mind having the Capellans portrayed in a villainous light, but I like shades of grey too.

Really, though. Was Max really that bad?

Mad Max was out in his own little delusional world, under times of stress he would do even stranger things. Though because of him we had Romano, well let's forget about her, as she was nuttier than a squirrel in a nut factory, at least she gave us Sun-Tzu, thank goodness.

Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #69 on: 10 March 2014, 08:37:32 »
Mad Max was out in his own little delusional world, under times of stress he would do even stranger things. Though because of him we had Romano, well let's forget about her, as she was nuttier than a squirrel in a nut factory, at least she gave us Sun-Tzu, thank goodness.

"Grab the plates!"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #70 on: 10 March 2014, 08:44:36 »
"They show the worlds he means to invade!"   ;D
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #71 on: 10 March 2014, 10:24:39 »
wasn't it "they show the worlds he means to conquer?"

and from the novels, "mad" Max had his lucid periods.. i wouldn't be surprised if he had something like a manic depressive disorder. though i suspect that due to his position and the way the capellans treated their rulers (even before he became in charge), he likely had only a tenuous grasp of reality in some areas to begin with.

Romano seems to have been completely nuts.. in the novels she starts out just a completely self centered manipulative brat, and after taking over the CC, seems to have lost most connection to reality.. i suspect that were it not for Tsen Shang, the CC would have collapsed utterly instead of just becoming "the sick man of the inner sphere"..

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 10 March 2014, 11:19:41 »
wasn't it "they show the worlds he means to conquer?"

and from the novels, "mad" Max had his lucid periods.. i wouldn't be surprised if he had something like a manic depressive disorder. though i suspect that due to his position and the way the capellans treated their rulers (even before he became in charge), he likely had only a tenuous grasp of reality in some areas to begin with.

Romano seems to have been completely nuts.. in the novels she starts out just a completely self centered manipulative brat, and after taking over the CC, seems to have lost most connection to reality.. i suspect that were it not for Tsen Shang, the CC would have collapsed utterly instead of just becoming "the sick man of the inner sphere"..
Something like that.  It's been years since I last read the Warrior Trilogy.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 13 March 2014, 17:48:27 »
I'm a VERY recent convert to the CapCon, as I've recently started reading some older novels and sourcebooks and have become totally hooked! But as I was looking around for a general discussion thread for the Cappies, I was shocked to find that there wasn't one!

I see absolutely no reason why there isn't a general discussion thread for the CapCon/House Liao, so I thought I'd do something about that. And I'd like to start by asking every Cappie fan out there, who is your favorite Capellan character and why?

Nice to see you in jade, Tassa.  :)

As for my favorite personalities, Director Nancy Bao Lee and Lord Tsen Shang.
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #74 on: 13 March 2014, 20:59:19 »

Thank you! I feel like it looks great on me. :)

I read Nancy in the Capellan Solution books, and I quite liked her, too. She seems like she's been good for the Maskirovka, and I like what I've read of her so far.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #75 on: 14 March 2014, 09:20:51 »

I forgot about Bao Lee.

I'll note that I made quite a statement of support for her a few years back on these boards. It received quite a virtual applause from my fellow Capellan brothers... as I recall.

Trust the return of Citzen Oldfart to remind me of this. }:)
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 15 March 2014, 04:07:13 »
I forgot about Bao Lee.

I'll note that I made quite a statement of support for her a few years back on these boards. It received quite a virtual applause from my fellow Capellan brothers... as I recall.

Trust the return of Citzen Oldfart to remind me of this. }:)

The illustration of her in Assumption of Risk also reveals her to be a smok'in hottie too...

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #77 on: 31 March 2014, 09:27:18 »
What's Assumption of Risk about? I haven't added that one to my reading list yet...
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 31 March 2014, 18:05:14 »
What's Assumption of Risk about? I haven't added that one to my reading list yet...

It's a very good book and I'd recommend it. It's mainly focused around Kai - who after the clan war headed to Solaris and became champion. Without giving away too much, his past comes back to haunt him in the form of his old flame from the clan invasion, his meddling uncle Tormano and some Steiner-Davion nobility.
All the while training to defend his title as champion AND ensure the FedCom doesn't descend into war with the FWL and the Cappies, courtesy of some politic stoushes.

Really good Solaris arena action, some interesting characters and political intrigue.

And for you CapCon fans, there's plenty of fact time around Tormano and Kai and some Mask meddling

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #79 on: 31 March 2014, 18:15:14 »
Assumption makes it clear that Free Capella were no angels. Tormano is depicted as being selfish and self-important, and willing to force Kai into being the champion of the cause to manufacture a hero

Plus it's got one of my favourite minor characters in a guest spot. Not gonna spoil it and say who.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #80 on: 31 March 2014, 19:08:37 »

It and the Capellan Solution books are good reading for the "rise" of the Confederation under Sun-Tzu

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 31 March 2014, 20:17:21 »
Hmmm.... Larry Acuff or Keith Smith? (Actually, I can't remember if Smith was his last name or not)

Logic

• Recruit
« Reply #82 on: 15 April 2014, 00:35:18 »
On a tangent... I've been out for a while and just got a load of the 3145 map.  Chesterton, Tikonov, Victoria... the ancestral worlds appear to have been mostly retaken.  What is there left for a rabid cappie to do?  It kind of looks like it's time for peace...?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #83 on: 15 April 2014, 00:38:38 »
Why stop at Chesterton?  Retake more ancestral worlds the CC never held, like New Syrtis (done), Kathil, Terra, Hesperus II, and Strana Mechty!
Sunrise is Coming.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #84 on: 15 April 2014, 00:54:56 »
Oh, please. Spare us the rhetoric. Every world the FedSuns loses now is karma for that FedCom wedding toast. You've earned it!  O0

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #85 on: 15 April 2014, 00:57:13 »
On a tangent... I've been out for a while and just got a load of the 3145 map.  Chesterton, Tikonov, Victoria... the ancestral worlds appear to have been mostly retaken.  What is there left for a rabid cappie to do?  It kind of looks like it's time for peace...?

Sure we've reclaimed long lost worlds, and got our revenge on the satanic Hasek clan. So, it may seem like things will get boring.   :-\

But remember, there are Stoners that will need a healthy dose of killin' in the near future. And the Davionista still plots and schemes. The security of the Capellan State is an ongoing affair, Citizen.  }:)

A friendly reminder, always keep a look out for suspicious activities, and promptly report them to your local office of the Chancellor's Shield. An observant Citizen is a good Citizen.  [copper]

"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #86 on: 15 April 2014, 00:59:45 »
Besides, it doesn't look like the Capellans are nearly done reclaiming their worlds, anyway, if we're judging by the 2750-2765 maps. ;)

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #87 on: 15 April 2014, 01:02:26 »
Besides, it doesn't look like the Capellans are nearly done reclaiming their worlds, anyway, if we're judging by the 2750-2765 maps. ;)

Our work is never done.  :P ;)

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #88 on: 15 April 2014, 17:26:45 »
Question:
Which Liao units have faced off against Clan units?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #89 on: 15 April 2014, 17:58:09 »

Not until Andurien is an actual Cappellan world will their feelings of perpetual injustice come close to being sated.

Register