Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 68062 times)

General308

• Captain
So very much this. It's becoming quite irritating to see folks talk about shipping quotes as of they're finalized and set in stone, when this couldn't be further from the truth.

Until Backer kit sends you an email, just wait. Is it really that hard?

I mean based on update 88 doesn't seem like unless you complain to them you can expect changes.  Given that they said in that update it is shipping potentially the end of this month time is now an issue that CGL isn't being clear on.   I mean you may think it is Irritating that folks are talking about shipping like they are finalized which is cool.  But I don't think any of us have seen shipping charges posted so clearly wrong multiple times (I am saying multiple times because you seem to think they are still not set in stone)  Seems CGL knows they are problems too or they wouldnt have set up a fund.    It is honestly unprofessional and doesn't past the smell test.

Honestly it feels like QML still has some of the Handling charges in our shipping charge.    Honestly I think for transparancy given all the crazyness unless CGL lets a independent 3rd party verify they shipping charges are right we have no way to know if they are truly correct

mechasaurus

• Sergeant
I'm in Canada with a Vet level pledge + 1 forcepack and the new shipping number for me is a tick over $50 CAD, which is slightly better than the number from a month ago but still seems darn high. Game shops in Toronto can send similar sized packages anywhere in Canada for as low as $11 or $22.50. Hoping maybe the numbers get further tweaked cause it sure doesn't seem like a Canada-friendly local shipping rate.

DW

From what I can tell from my own shipping and others' posts here is that we in Canada are just getting beat up on this, for the simple privilege of living in Canada, I guess.  :rolleyes:

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
From what I can tell from my own shipping and others' posts here is that we in Canada are just getting beat up on this, for the simple privilege of living in Canada, I guess.  :rolleyes:

:cry:

Even Better  GIF
« Last Edit: 04 May 2024, 12:52:17 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Normie

• Recruit
So very much this. It's becoming quite irritating to see folks talk about shipping quotes as of they're finalized and set in stone, when this couldn't be further from the truth.

For some people it can be hard to wait though. More so with something like a kickstarter where enough time passes that your situation may be a lot different than it was when you pledged. I do think it would be more productive for them to follow the directions in update 88 to contact them directly rather than posting here, because you do need to wait a few days for a response.

For me personally its within 13 bucks of what I expected to pay for my battalion pledge. I was estimating $40 to Michigan and its little over 50 (way better than the initial quote). Thats close enough for me without knowing all the shipping details to be fine with it. I would actually feel pretty good if not pushing for a lower rate made it more affordable for someone who has had a rough year.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.

Ah ok. I was uninformed and thought maybe I'm not getting emails and shifted into paranoia mode.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

This Ends Tonight

• Recruit
It's very unlikely your shipping charges will change, anyone who tells you otherwise is just running interference for unclear reasons, and I would just ignore them. Don't pay them until they send the update saying to. But yes these shipping charges are likely to stand for the vast majority of people.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
It's very unlikely your shipping charges will change, anyone who tells you otherwise is just running interference for unclear reasons, and I would just ignore them. Don't pay them until they send the update saying to. But yes these shipping charges are likely to stand for the vast majority of people.

Based on what evidence? Because I am beginning to really side-eye a few folks here.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
mine went from $65 to $45. midwest USA, only a $215 pledge, so i wasn't expecting much cost to start, but any reduction is nice. and if i save money, you can bet others save more
« Last Edit: 04 May 2024, 19:48:21 by glitterboy2098 »

General308

• Captain
Based on what evidence? Because I am beginning to really side-eye a few folks here.

I mean for him to be wrong you would have to except that CGL for the second time on the same Kickstarter has authrized the wrong shipping numbers to be posted.   In what situation would any company do that?  You don't as a buisness post wrong shipping charges to your customers

Second CGL said this "Support:

Catalyst has set aside an additional fund in excess of the initial subsidization to help those in need.  Please reach out via the Kickstarter messaging system (instructions below) and we’ll take a look at your account and see if we can help.  We will be prioritizing those with the largest costs. Please note that we will not be offering refunds this late in the project."    Which indicates that they only intend to look at charges on people who complain and then they are looking at the largest ones.

The honest question I have is based on update 88 why would anyone think otherwise unless they complain to CGL?   

CGL would be insane to just post wrong shipping charges a second time.    I can not honestly see why anyone would even take the position they are not what CGL thinks are the correct final numbers.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.

I gave percentages before but I should also give an example for lower level pledges like me. My first pledge was recruit level with salvages and swag add-ons. No maps or anything else. The Shipping plus GST got from 56$ for an order of 156$ Us to 63.23$ US now  :shocked:

The second is somewhat worse. Paper pusher with the Art of War DTF book add-on and 2 patches. 50$ US. Shipping and+ GST is 32.83$US  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Yup. Love Canada for Commerce.  :headbang: :headbang: :mafiosi:

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
I mean for him to be wrong you would have to except that CGL for the second time on the same Kickstarter has authrized the wrong shipping numbers to be posted.   In what situation would any company do that?  You don't as a buisness post wrong shipping charges to your customers
i've seen some idiots on another forum (largely warhammer centric) talking in their thread for the battletech KS that they're convinced that it's all just some plot by CGl to bilk them out of money... i just think some gamers are so used to really big gaming companies ripping them off on prices and jerking them around with deceptive practices that they've decided that all game companies work that way.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
   I can not honestly see why anyone would even take the position they are not what CGL thinks are the correct final numbers.

Because an email that saying the shipping charges are all fixed and to now pay has not been sent out. Until then it's an assumption either way.

Catfur

• Recruit

If that is the case, which is what it seems like, then THEY NEED TO BE ABSOLUTELY, 100%, SWAROVSKI CRYSTAL CLEAR ON THIS. Which they absolutely haven't been. Update #88 reads a lot more like "it's all fixed" than "we're still working it."

CGL could use a course in crisis communications.

thedancingjoker

• Master Sergeant
Because an email that saying the shipping charges are all fixed and to now pay has not been sent out. Until then it's an assumption either way.

So when they sent out update 88 it gave the impression they had sorted out the outright shipping errors and the numbers were now correct.  After seeing someone point things out on this forum I went back and re-read it and it does not actually say that the currect prices are final, even though that was 100% my take away from my first read.  If these numbers aren't final then their communication has been VERY unclear on that issue. 

Giving out instructions for how to contact them about high totals makes absolutely no sense if we aren't intended to take these numbers as final.

Charistoph

• Major

Tell that to my rash that I'm trying hard NOT to itch whenever someone talks about the Kickstarter shipping...

GAH!!!!   There it goes again!
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Wolf72

• Captain
Tell that to my rash that I'm trying hard NOT to itch whenever someone talks about the Kickstarter shipping...

GAH!!!!   There it goes again!

I feel it too.   
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

klarg1

• Captain
My read on the update was very much:

“Here is a list of things we’ve found and fixed. Here are the results people will (future tense) see. Here’s some background and support information.”

That suggests that numbers should be converging on “correct”, but very much reads as a process in motion to me.

The promised timeline is getting short so I’d expect more information soon, but I am not seeing an all clear so far.

Normie

• Recruit
I gave percentages before but I should also give an example for lower level pledges like me. My first pledge was recruit level with salvages and swag add-ons. No maps or anything else. The Shipping plus GST got from 56$ for an order of 156$ Us to 63.23$ US now  :shocked:

The second is somewhat worse. Paper pusher with the Art of War DTF book add-on and 2 patches. 50$ US. Shipping and+ GST is 32.83$US  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Yup. Love Canada for Commerce.  :headbang: :headbang: :mafiosi:

I would recommend following the directions in the kickstarter update 88 email. 

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
If people didn't complain about the over charge in shipping, it might have never been worked on. So, there is that.
Some of the people getting triggered, well that maybe a little too much.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Normie

• Recruit
If people didn't complain about the over charge in shipping, it might have never been worked on. So, there is that.
Some of the people getting triggered, well that maybe a little too much.

I don't think most people understand how shipping works, and that is creating a lot of anxiety. An example would be people asking for the weight of the shipment. Force packs are really light, so the shipping fees are going to be based on dimensional weight which would be really hard for CGL to comment on because of factors like dunnage and negotiated rates. It's also really hard to compare shipping from a retail site to a fulfillment service, because the retail site is making margin on the product in the first place so they have some wiggle room, that I don't think QML would have.

I'm fine with people posting if they think its high, but a lot of people in other forums/kickerstarter comments are jumping straight to it being an issue of greed. I really appreciate how most of the posters in this thread are handling it and its why I'm bringing update 88. That said I get why some people are sick of hearing about it, I do wish they would try to change the subject a bit if I'm being honest. I would rather talk about the mechs I'm excited about (Ostroc and Firestarter are my favorites overall), or how people plan on using their new units. I like the ideal of painting up some new fractions to help get some of my friends interested, and their plans may inspire me.     

Wolf72

• Captain
... I would rather talk about the mechs I'm excited about (Ostroc and Firestarter are my favorites overall), or how people plan on using their new units. ...

You use your Mechs (units)??? ... I plan on hording them like some long in the tooth dragon!  (I really need to create some more shelf space in my office (office? oops I mean office turned into my kids lego-zone of pain ... I get it organized and neat looking, she comes in like a freakin' hurricane of legos and other toys).
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Luciora

• Major
Just need a Dervish to finish the Crescent Hawks in plastic. More light mechs would be good too!

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
My read on the update was very much:

“Here is a list of things we’ve found and fixed. Here are the results people will (future tense) see. Here’s some background and support information.”

That suggests that numbers should be converging on “correct”, but very much reads as a process in motion to me.

The promised timeline is getting short so I’d expect more information soon, but I am not seeing an all clear so far.

My shipping's still zeroed out, so yeah, it's still being worked on. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Kickstarter is not a game for the short of patience. 

General308

• Captain
My shipping's still zeroed out, so yeah, it's still being worked on. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Kickstarter is not a game for the short of patience.

Did you ever confirm your address?

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Did you ever confirm your address?

Yeah, quite a while ago. It was showing high shipping charges relative to my order also for a while, I guess my data hasn't been reimported yet.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant

Mine's also at $0.00.  Some random person in the comments said this from update #88 was the reason:

Pre-Orders:

The pre-order store has also been closed to not extend our secondary calculation period.  If you do not have a shipping charge on your order yet, you will be part of this second wave of fulfillment. That second wave will happen as soon as orders are processed and shipped from this first wave.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2024, 19:40:50 by Ghaz »

Normie

• Recruit
You use your Mechs (units)??? ... I plan on hording them like some long in the tooth dragon!  (I really need to create some more shelf space in my office (office? oops I mean office turned into my kids lego-zone of pain ... I get it organized and neat looking, she comes in like a freakin' hurricane of legos and other toys).

I do use them :laugh:, I mostly play alpha strike. I've found that I like bigger games (400 points), but I don't like running too many new mechs at once because it bogs things down. So, I'll probably make a lance out of the new units and then try to rotate through all the new stuff over the rest of the year. I've never gotten this many at the once, so we'll see how it goes. 

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
Backer update tonight with what they have found out about shipping tax, charge processing and other dates.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Finally got my shipping charges (it's only been a month :rolleyes:).  For a Company pledge with only a Blood Asp and challenge coin as add ons, my shipping charges are $37.13 with 6% sales tax for a total of $39.36.

Charistoph

• Major
Just checked again yesterday, and the Shipping Tax for my Phoenix metro address had disappeared.

Company pledge, with no add-ons made by me, and about $30, for final shipping.  Again, not much more than a similar order from Aries Minis using the USPS Ground order.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem