Author Topic: Arcturus vs Everyone: The Tamar Rising Discussion Thread  (Read 103046 times)

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Re: Arcturus vs Everyone: The Tamar Rising Discussion Thread
« Reply #300 on: 19 January 2022, 14:03:35 »
Tamar Rising Now Available in Print and PDF!

Long Live the Pact! The first ilClan era sourcebook, Tamar Rising, is now available in hardcover, full-color print+PDF format, and in PDF only format.

We know you’ll have questions after checking out this exciting new book, so get ready to take a deeper dive into the Hinterlands with the creative team behind it! We’ve scheduled a Tamar Rising AMA session on YouTube for Saturday, February 5 at 2 p.m. Eastern (GMT-5). Stay tuned for a link to join.

We hope you enjoy this first exploration of an exciting new era of BattleTech!

Tamar Rising
PDF Only: $14.99
Print+PDF (Catalyst Game Labs store only): $34.99

Silence falls across the Jade Falcon border, and slowly, reports reach Lyran space: the Clan’s warriors, so long a threat to the Steiner realm, are gone. Powerful ambitions rush to fill the vacuum that follows. Former Clan citizens both recently assimilated and long conquered grapple with a future no longer defined by the will of the Falcon warriors. An Arcturan general dissatisfied with Tharkad’s ineffective rule forges her own destiny. A Clan denied the glory of Terra redefines itself through battle and conquest. And a mercenary unleashes her reborn command to claim vengeance for past calamities.

Tamar Rising is a BattleTech sourcebook providing full details of the events in the former Clan Jade Falcon Occupation Zone from 3151 to mid-3152. Included are a full historical summary of events in that region of space, personality and unit profiles of key players—many appearing here for the first time, and game information to bring it all to your BattleTech tabletop.

Note: This zip file contains two PDFs. The first is the book itself. The second is the Campaign Map, which with the physical book is a 26” x 38”, double-sized, laminated poster.

Catalyst Game Labs web store: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-tamar-rising

DriveThruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/383825/BattleTech-Tamar-Rising
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #301 on: 19 January 2022, 14:04:46 »
Yes, your post got drowned out in the rush yesterday.   But I and others hope it isn't  the 'rona.  If it is, may it pass quickly, and may you only be asymptomatic.

Thanks, all. We'll be okay, but I appreciate the thoughts. (Just didn't want to reply before the release, hoping that the release post would be at the top of a new page.)

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #302 on: 19 January 2022, 14:24:13 »
Only had time for a quick scan of the PDF. It's a damn pretty book. High quality artwork... unit insignias, faction crests, portraits, etc. The poster map is impressive in electronic form.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #303 on: 19 January 2022, 14:36:46 »
Wait until you see it in person. Annihilator for scale:

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #304 on: 19 January 2022, 14:39:50 »
Here working the COVID ICU...

I'm going to assign a preliminary Sea Fox score to this book. This just relates to the Sea Fox.content of the book...

We came through with 20 mentions, which is pretty good for a book mostly about other stuff.

So the good:
- Mentioned in the same sentence as Jarnfolk. Incredibly exciting! I like Jarnfolk. I also like Sea Foxes.
- We're part of a rule! It's a minor thing, but still good! We're in the infrastructure boys!
- We didn't get murdered: Since the days of Herb and Ben Rome surviving a sourcebook is a good thing. We weren't murdered.

- We are obviously around and clans are around, so there is an opportunity for trial based combat, giving us something to do.
[/spoiler]
The bad:
- We don't stomp anyone into the dirt. Since the days of Herb and Ben Rome there is always a chance you get to be the team to just pulverize someone! None of that for Sea Foxes in this book.
- despite 20 mentions we're the deus ex machina that helps people get things done. This isn't bad honestly because we've been deus ex machina since the dark age began. So really mostly station keeping.

I'm gonna give this one a solid 6/10 Sea Fox score.

This doesn't mean it isn't a 10/10 book! It looks pretty amazing! I'd say that its scores for factions Jade Falcon, Steiner and Horses is significantly higher! This just means we Sea Foxes didn't conquer the Inner Sphere in this go! Hopefully next book! Sea Fox score may be updated later as I actually have time to enjoy the book.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2022, 18:57:04 by Kitsune413 »
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #305 on: 19 January 2022, 14:51:43 »
Thanks, all. We'll be okay, but I appreciate the thoughts. (Just didn't want to reply before the release, hoping that the release post would be at the top of a new page.)

The maps super amazing, I like the little planetary breakouts.

The book is pretty amazing. :D

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #306 on: 19 January 2022, 14:58:22 »
I'd like to take a moment to ask if the people who kept claiming that this book details the disintegration of the Lyran Commonwealth would like to amend their opinion.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #307 on: 19 January 2022, 15:14:48 »
And much rejoicing with this book.
Does the map come with the book??
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #308 on: 19 January 2022, 15:15:54 »
Does the map come with the book??

It does! The PDF includes it as well, in digital form.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #309 on: 19 January 2022, 15:24:54 »
Is this already available as a general print run or PoD? I wasn't quite sure whether I should be bugging my FLGS yet for this.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #310 on: 19 January 2022, 15:27:19 »
Stores should be receiving them from distributors today. That’s what we based our release on.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #311 on: 19 January 2022, 15:37:42 »
Stores should be receiving them from distributors today. That’s what we based our release on.

I really gotta bug Zulus about this, them being so close to the Bills fam.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #312 on: 19 January 2022, 15:51:05 »
Oh my god the map has star types, recharge times, and distances between close worlds.

Squee!
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #313 on: 19 January 2022, 16:01:55 »
Wait until you see it in person. Annihilator for scale:
I'm glad I picked up the bundle.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #314 on: 19 January 2022, 16:06:33 »
Oh my god the map has star types, recharge times, and distances between close worlds.
Plus a whole lot more (including the back side.)...

Time to Jump Point / Recharge Station
Gravity / Atmospheric Pressure
Socio-Industrial Levels
Planetary Ruler Title / Base Government Table /
HPG Station
Likely Defending Forces
Sample Objectives
Sample Options

Pretty much everything you need to write a campaign or one-off scenario.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #315 on: 19 January 2022, 16:23:04 »
Someone blew up a planetoid in stars end a century ago? Why does that sound familiar?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #316 on: 19 January 2022, 16:30:59 »
Only partly through the book so far:

Oh my gods, I was right about who the Malthuses are! I'm so happy!

Gotta finish the book to see if they live through the whole thing.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #317 on: 19 January 2022, 17:05:44 »
I just want to say Tamar Rising is beautiful. So much cool stuff after the snorefest that was Children of Alaricsky, Hour of the Alaric and the ilAlaric sourcebook.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #318 on: 19 January 2022, 17:06:52 »
A few Clan Hell's Horses-related thoughts thus far:

The Clan Hell's Horses BattleMech RAT on page 122 includes the four tracked QuadVees (the Arion, Boreas, Cyllaros, and Harpagos), but not the more recently-produced wheeled QuadVee (the Notos). Could a line entry for the Notos perhaps be considered for future errata, or would there simply not be enough of this class of unit in production as of yet to warrant this?

Also, while the Horse OZ has expanded somewhat, it appears that Operation STAMPEDE has turned into a major disappointment. But then, it appears that the Clan at large is only beginning to come to terms with perhaps its greatest identity crisis since its second migration to the Inner Sphere: with the likes of Khan Lassenerra, Star Captain Peter Cobb, and Galaxy Commander Marguerite Grimheald each clamoring for influence over the future course the Clan should take.

And still no QuadVee colour art, alas.

On the one hand, there is more of a look at this Clan than there has been on most prior sourcebooks. But even so, it's still not quite at the point where they have truly emerged as more of a "protagonist" faction in the IlClan Era... that is, if events do not conspire to prevent this from happening by the time we next get a look at this region of space.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2022, 17:09:36 by Nerroth »

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #319 on: 19 January 2022, 17:27:05 »
Plus a whole lot more (including the back side.)...

Time to Jump Point / Recharge Station
Gravity / Atmospheric Pressure
Socio-Industrial Levels
Planetary Ruler Title / Base Government Table /
HPG Station
Likely Defending Forces
Sample Objectives
Sample Options

Pretty much everything you need to write a campaign or one-off scenario.
Maybe an indicator of population size would be helpfull.

But that part alone should make the book worth buying even for the most hardcore SW/3025 player... I can only hope for many, many more maps like this, ideally covering the whole IS in the end.
As an example, the old Avalon Hill "Great Campaigns of the American Civil War" series covered one campaign per box and had its maps designed in a way that they combined and extended to depict whole theaters of war.

I know, not realistic. But I know I would spend a lot of money on such maps...

On second thought, when I measure the TR map (Star's End to Mesa Verde Y-axis, Duran to Yed Posterior X-axis), about three rows of five columns would cover most of the IS. So maybe some "Strategic Map Packs" in addition to the announced books could close some gaps? Maybe add some information relevant for SL/SW/Invasion/Jihad eras, and this would be a treasure trove for any campaign player from AToW to almost Succession Wars (the boardgame), for almost any era.

"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #320 on: 19 January 2022, 17:50:06 »
Looks great, just need to get to payday now to buy it.

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #321 on: 19 January 2022, 18:01:55 »
So quick numbers based on the maps:

In 3151 the Jade Falcon OZ numbered about 130 systems.
Of them:

* 22 are captured by Hell's Horses
* 11 form the Tamar Pact
* 9 form the Alyina Mercantile League
* 9 form the Vesper Marches
* 5 are recaptured by the Commonwealth
* 5 are recaptured by the Arc-Royal Liberty Coalition
* 4 remain Jade Falcon
* 1 becomes the Malthus Confederation
* 28 are still unclaimed
* about 35 are off the bottom of the map so :shrug:

Of the worlds that have been claimed from the Falcons, over 1/3rd of them went to the Horses.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2022, 18:43:45 by Moonsword »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #322 on: 19 January 2022, 18:21:32 »
So the Erit cluster is in the Dark Nebula, as long suspected. Interesting.

Also, "information". The writers should be ashamed of themselves.  :P

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #323 on: 19 January 2022, 18:21:41 »
Quick Sea Fox rating update, page 75 is a Sea Fox Chatterweb image.. so, we're raising our rating to a solid 7/10 here. It's a good touch. <3

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #324 on: 19 January 2022, 18:29:23 »
In my opinion, the most interesting character of all this is Jiyi Chistu. Although it seems that he and his clan have the least chance. Why does it seem to me that he is the main character of the new book by Blaine Lee Pardue? ;D

« Last Edit: 19 January 2022, 19:13:37 by Rncavenger »

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #325 on: 19 January 2022, 18:37:46 »
Let's please remember to use spoiler tags here on release day and for the next little while, please.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #326 on: 19 January 2022, 18:44:26 »
In my opinion, the most interesting character of all this is Jiyi Chistu. Although it seems that he and his clan have the least  chance. Why does it seem to me that he is the main character of the new book by Blaine Lee Pardue? ;D

He's my creation, not Blaine's. Well, he existed before, as he came from a MDWA Falcon's Prey Dossier, and had a mention as a notable pilot for the Gyrfalcon in TRO 3145, but all that he is in Tamar Rising comes from me. Blaine has nothing to do with him. So blame me for making a competent and not-crazy Jade Falcon leader.  :))

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #327 on: 19 January 2022, 18:45:07 »
Maybe an indicator of population size would be helpfull.

They have a planets section with listed populations.

You could just extrapolate by socio-Industrial levels after that. The closer it is to all A's the closer it is to having two billion people, the more C's it's got the closer it is to being in the low hundred million's range.

Except Sudetan, Sudetan's population is stacked for some reason. But it's close to all A's anyways.

He's my creation, not Blaine's. Well, he existed before, as he came from a MDWA Falcon's Prey Dossier, and had a mention as a notable pilot for the Gyrfalcon in TRO 3145, but all that he is in Tamar Rising comes from me. Blaine has nothing to do with him. So blame me for making a competent and not-crazy Jade Falcon leader.  :))

I presume he was left behind due to his competence and sanity? I thought you got executed for that stuff in the Falcons....
« Last Edit: 19 January 2022, 18:47:00 by Kitsune413 »

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #328 on: 19 January 2022, 18:46:40 »
Let's please remember to use spoiler tags here on release day and for the next little while, please.

To expand on that, please note that we have determined experimentally that the [list] tag does not properly interact with [spoiler] tags, and if you mix them, the spoiler will not be applied.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #329 on: 19 January 2022, 19:09:44 »

Also, "information". The writers should be ashamed of themselves.  :P

It was at Adam Steiner’s alma mater.  He said it so often (and Wars of Reaving proved that Clanners had seen the cartoon), that having the departing students invert it was irresistible.  >:D
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Register