Author Topic: Project 120 - It's spreading  (Read 1200 times)

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
Project 120 - It's spreading
« on: 04 June 2023, 05:47:46 »
Naturally, my current bout of madness has lead me to messing with support vehicles, too.

A general note: as support vehicles don't use engine rating, I could not plug a 120 SFE in, as I did with the combat vehicles earlier. So the following vehicles are approximations, where I try and get the same (or same-ish) engine weight at tech level D so I can head-canon it as a repurposed military-grade SFE 120. That's the basic premise.

First entry is pretty basic, a 40 ton, propeller cargo plane - because why spring for fuel if you a virtually unlimited power? Seating for up to 40 persons (in an infantry compartment, so only carry-on luggage!), a small field kitchen for your in-flight meals, medical supplies for any emergencies, pressurized cabine and enough cargo capacity for a 10 tonne container and some extra luggage.

The engine weight comes out to 5.5 tonnes, so a bit lighter than for a CV (at 6 tonnes), but given the weight and performance, it should be close enough. Worst case, strike half a ton of cargo.

Not fancy, but useful.

Code: [Select]
Highsoar PP120-40

Mass: 40 tons
Type: Support Vehicle (Fixed Wing)
Power Plant:  Fusion
Propuplsion: Propeller driven
Armor: BAR 7

Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-X-X-X
Cost: 328,797 C-bills
Battle Value: 45

Equipment                                          Mass
Engine                         Fusion               5.5
    Safe Thrust: 3
    Max Thrust: 5
Structural Integrity:         3                       
Heat Sinks:                   0                       0
Fuel:                         0                     0.0
Cockpit                                               4
Armor Factor (BAR 7)          22                      1

Armor   
                           Value   
     Nose                    8     
     Wings                  5/5   
     Aft                     4     

Weapons
and Ammo                             Location   Tonnage  Heat   SRV  MRV  LRV  ERV
3 Communications Equipment (1 ton)     NOS       3.0      -      -    -    -    - 
Searchlight                            NOS       0.5      -      -    -    -    - 
Field Kitchen                          BOD       3.0      -      -    -    -    - 
SV Chassis Mod (Prop-driven            BOD       2.0      -      -    -    -    - 
Environmental Sealing                  BOD       5.0      -      -    -    -    - 
Paramedic Equipment                    BOD       0.25     -      -    -    -    - 
Infantry Compartment                             4.0
Cargo                                            11.5
« Last Edit: 04 June 2023, 08:59:04 by Gorgon »
Jude Melancon lives!

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
Re: Project 120 - It's spreading
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2023, 07:16:06 »
Now, for the second vehicle, we're completely off the rails- or, more precisely, on the rails.

I decided to see what happens if you use a fusion engine of the same dimensions of the SFE 120 in a train. Would it be possible to construct a useful train with such a light engine? As MML does not support rail support vehicles it's the first entry into the series that has been constructed the old fashioned way. So beware - arithmetics ahead!

First I had to figure out how much the train would weigh. I knew already what engine weight I wanted to end up with (4 tonnes, although the vehicles weight for it would be 6, more on that in a bit), so I switched the formula for engine weight calculation around a bit, tried it out on a few different speeds and finally ended up with a weight of 34.48 tonnes (rounded up to 35) at a speed  of 7/11. That's remarkably close to old streetcar / subway trains that used to run in my city from the early 70's to the 00's (coming in at 34.5 tonnes) - so I was very pleased with it.

With this real-world example in mind, I set out to create my very own Atomic Streetcar!

Code: [Select]
ST-120 Atomic Streetcar
Type: Support Vehicle (rail tractor)Engine: Fusion (Techlevel D)Chassis: Techlevel D

Speed: 7 / 11

Armor (BAR 5): 1,5 tons (46 points)

Structure  Armor
Front       4       12
Left        4       11
Right       4       11
Rear        4       12

Equipment                   Tonnage         Location

SFE 120                      4.0
Structure                    8.5
Searchlights (2)             1.0          Front / Rear 
Comm. Equipment              1.0             Front

That's the basics taken care off and it leaves us with 19 tonnes for passengers, cargo or equipment. Now I (obsessively) tried to match the original streetcar closely, but this left me with a conundrum: The real-world train can carry 60 passengers seated and (additionally) 180 standing, but *somehow* the BT construction rules don't allow for standing passengers. A grievous oversight  :D

Turns out, if I use additional seats (at 75kg / passenger) I can get 240 passengers for 18 tonnes - neat! But seating does not incorporate doors or anything else covers by infantry compartments (the other option for squeezing people into vehicles) - Now you could say that basic stuff like doors are incorporated into the train's chassis and basic structure. A very reasonable assumption, but we're not here to follow reason, but the construction rules. Because I was in no mood to delve into the finer points of bay doors, I decided to assign 17 tonnes to infantry compartments (for up to 170 passengers with minimal luggage) and 2 tonnes for general cargo, to imitate multi-purpose areas that could be used to place wheelchairs, strollers, bikes, etc.

And there you have it! A fusion powered commuter light rail train. You can be absolutely certain that more trains (trailers, mostly) based upon this design will follow shortly - I'm already fooling around with an hospital train, among other things.

Beat Stinger's into Streetcars!
Jude Melancon lives!

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2023, 08:24:24 »
BTW, if I where to take the 6 tonnes the SFE 120 weighs for vehicles (including extra shielding) as a base, the Atomic Streetcar would come out similar: moving 8/12 at 37.5 (rounding to 38) tonnes, structure weight increase by a tonne to 9.5. So overall slightly faster and with 2 tonnes more to spare.
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2023, 08:51:13 »
The fixed wing stats are showing an engine weight of 8.5 tons? ???

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2023, 08:58:27 »
Strange. MML lists it as 5.5 in the program? fixed it in the post.
Jude Melancon lives!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2023, 10:33:41 »
Weird indeed... thanks for fixing that.  You might want to double check the total too.