Author Topic: Stinging Wasp: Mostly, it's a Wasp. Except when it's a Stinger  (Read 308 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.

Stinging Wasp STW-1A

Mass: 20 tons
Chassis: GM-1D
Power Plant: GM 120
Cruising Speed: 64.8 kph
Maximum Speed: 97.2 kph
Jump Jets: Rawlings-L
     Jump Capacity: 180 meters
Armor: Duralex Lewiston Light
Armament:
     1 Medium Laser
     1 SRM 2
Manufacturer: Lewis Arms
     Primary Factory: Lewiston
Communication System: Duotech 65
Targeting & Tracking System: Radcomm TXX
Introduction Year: 2650
Tech Rating/Availability: D/D-E-D-D
Cost: 1,644,720 C-bills

One of the oldest examples of a Deep Periphery built battlemech and a signature machine of Lewis County, the Stinging Wasp has always caused some degree of confusion to outside observers due to its visual similarity to the primitive first generation of the Wasp battlemech. Indeed, the Stinging Wasp belongs to that same curious set of early modern battlemechs, often built by third parties, which adopted modern components into the design but retained the outline and some of the design features of the original primitive models to save development costs, and it is the only example of this brief design movement to still be in production in present day.
  The Stinging Wasp in particular was born from fear. The colony of Lewiston had only been established four years before the surrender of the Magistracy of Canopus during the Reunification War, and its own declared independence from the now subjugated Magistracy was on shaky ground at best. It was painfully easy to imagine the SLDF moving on to subdue Lewiston as well whenever they got the inclination, so the colony was compelled to gather together what arms and equipment they could, including piecing together military industries from equipment and industrial tooling smuggled out of the Magistracy. Despite this pressing need for arms, actually developing the capacity for mech production would take time, and it would be over sixty years since the surrender of the Magistracy before Lewiston's first Stinging Wasps would walk off the production lines. Even so, the mechs and the new battlemech corps they helped to found would become a major symbol of prestige for the small but growing deep periphery state. So much so, in fact, that the battlemech forces and the mechwarriors that man them would become deeply entangled with the byzantine politics of county nobility, resulting in the state's mechwarriors being exclusively members of the rapidly dominating noble class and bound by labyrinthine rules of social and political primacy that determined the pecking order in the highest halls of power in the County.
  The battlemech itself, while sharing most of the outline of the original WSP-1 (including lacking a right hand), has closer ties to the modern 1A, sharing the same basic level of armor protection and the same weapon systems, though the twin tube missile launcher has been moved to a mount on the left arm, necessitating a much more complicated ammunition feed system but also vastly improving the launcher's arc of fire and flexibility in combat. Other differences are harder to see at first glance. The Stinging Wasp lacks the superior range of motion of the more current Wasp, and shares its cousin's weak legs. However, pilots and technicians alike praise the machine's reliability and ease of maintenance.
  Though it has been produced for hundreds of years by the factories on Lewiston, limited production capacity and shortages of critical components and resources have resulted in several shortfalls in production over the generations, and at present only a little more than a hundred Stinging Wasps are in active service with the state's military forces, making up half of their battlemech strength. A few hundred more mechs are in storage, two thirds of that number divided among Lewis County's major noble houses for use as trade assets, rewards for service, or even just as tangible symbols of wealth and prestige. Possibly as many as two hundred more have found their way onto the open market beyond the borders of Lewis County, by fair means or foul.

Variants:
  As befits its name, fully half of the Stinging Wasps produced are equipped with paired machine guns instead of the missile launcher to create an anti-infantry variant akin to the more familiar Stinger. The variant is fairly simple in execution, requiring a straight swap of the ammunition bay, a new ammo feed system, and mounting the twin machine guns in the same housing used by the missiles, and on the battlefield the 1B model is all but indistinguishable from the 1A until the shooting starts. Standard practice has 1As and 1Bs working side by side in the same lances, in order to complement each other's strengths and weaknesses, though in the confusing drama filled catfight of County officer culture, the personal preferences of a pilot or commander can often override tactical concerns.
  In a similar vein, some Stinging Wasp pilots ditch the secondary weapons entirely in favor of mounting a pair of bolt-on single shot rocket launchers mounted to the torso and the arm. This certainly gives an impressive looking opening salvoe, and can theoretically inflict considerable damage against a light opponent, but it definitely cuts into the sustained firepower of the mech if it can't put the enemy down in the first strike.

Type: Stinging Wasp
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)
Tonnage: 20
Battle Value: 384

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                    2
Engine                        120 Fusion              4
   Walking MP: 6
   Running MP: 9
   Jumping MP: 6
Heat Sink                     10                      0
Gyro                                                  2
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor                  48                      3

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         4     
     Center Torso            6         6     
     Center Torso (rear)               4     
     R/L Torso               5         6     
     R/L Torso (rear)                  2     
     R/L Arm                 3         4     
     R/L Leg                 4         5     

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo              Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage   
Jump Jet                 LL        1        -       0.5   
2 Jump Jet               CT        2        -       1.0   
3 Heat Sink              RT        3        -       3.0   
Jump Jet                 RT        1        -       0.5   
SRM 2                    LA        1        2       1.0   
3 Heat Sink              LT        3        -       3.0   
Jump Jet                 LT        1        -       0.5   
SRM 2 Ammo (50)          LT        1        -       1.0   
Jump Jet                 RL        1        -       0.5   
Medium Laser             RA        1        3       1.0   

Features the following design quirks: Easy to Maintain, Rugged (1 Point), Weak Legs
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Stinging Wasp: Mostly, it's a Wasp. Except when it's a Stinger
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2024, 23:40:01 »
A link to download the Beyond the Periphery Record Sheet Book, which includes record sheets for all three variants of the Stinging Wasp, can be found in this thread: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84454.0
« Last Edit: 22 March 2024, 01:15:54 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2024, 02:31:32 »
OK, that's pretty neat
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2024, 20:08:21 »
Why remove the hand actuator though? ???

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2024, 20:30:23 »
Why remove the hand actuator though? ???

Because I believe in the old ways!

Joking aside, it's because the Stinging Wasp is based more closely on the primitive version of the Wasp, which lacked that hand actuator. And also because for many many years the Wasp's right hand was practically schrodinger's fist, except the waveform would un-collapse after you were done looking at it and change to a different result the next time you looked. It was often gone from the art, and official record sheets kept going back and forth on it.

I'm pretty certain that the reason the primitive and phoenix versions of the wasp don't have a right hand was because at the time that was the accepted reality of the Wasp, and it's only after the classic was released that the hand grew back.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2024, 22:28:36 »
Because I believe in the old ways!

Joking aside, it's because the Stinging Wasp is based more closely on the primitive version of the Wasp, which lacked that hand actuator. And also because for many many years the Wasp's right hand was practically schrodinger's fist, except the waveform would un-collapse after you were done looking at it and change to a different result the next time you looked. It was often gone from the art, and official record sheets kept going back and forth on it.

I'm pretty certain that the reason the primitive and phoenix versions of the wasp don't have a right hand was because at the time that was the accepted reality of the Wasp, and it's only after the classic was released that the hand grew back.

Know what's really funny?  Speaking of Schroedinger's fist, the old Battletech Blueprints for the Wasp are labeled as "Prototype WSP-1", decades before the Primitive Wasp was even published.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2024, 03:13:49 »
Totally fair!  Fluff FTW! :D

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2024, 05:06:46 »
Totally fair!  Fluff FTW! :D

Yep, but what I failed to mention in my bleary-eyed exhaustion was that those blueprints show both hands, and the medium laser as "handheld".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2024, 17:20:57 »
I can't think of a more inefficient way to carry a Medium Laser than that...

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2024, 18:03:09 »
Yep, but what I failed to mention in my bleary-eyed exhaustion was that those blueprints show both hands, and the medium laser as "handheld".

Man, the legend lives on...

I think it would have been pretty neat if these detachable weapons had been used as a more limited form of omni-capability. Like let the Wasp detach its laser and hot swap it with a self contained unit of identical weight, like a machine gun and ammo if it's expecting to clear out infantry, or two small lasers, or other stuff like that.

Same with the Stinger or anything else with the detachable weapon quirk. Give that quirk more functionality than basically being just fluff.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2024, 18:05:55 »
I thought hand-helds had to have their heat sinks internal to themselves?  Am I mis-remembering that? ???

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2024, 18:07:27 »
I thought hand-helds had to have their heat sinks internal to themselves?  Am I mis-remembering that? ???

They do, I'm imagining a middle ground between this and a hard mounted weapon, sort of like a very limited omnimech capability.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 13 March 2024, 18:09:35 »
Ah, now your first comment makes more sense!  Thanks!  :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 13 March 2024, 18:12:20 »

It's no different from how the BattleMaster or Griffin carry their PPCs today, or the Stinger did before its recent art change: a fixed weapon with the Jettison-Capable Weapon quirk, in essence.  It's a "handheld weapon" not a "Handheld Weapon", y'dig?

Man, the legend lives on...

I think it would have been pretty neat if these detachable weapons had been used as a more limited form of omni-capability. Like let the Wasp detach its laser and hot swap it with a self contained unit of identical weight, like a machine gun and ammo if it's expecting to clear out infantry, or two small lasers, or other stuff like that.

Same with the Stinger or anything else with the detachable weapon quirk. Give that quirk more functionality than basically being just fluff.

I'm of the opinion that if you're giving it the Detachable Weapon quirk to represent the rifles of the early 'Mechs like the BattleMaster, Griffin, Wolverine, Phoenix Hawk, Stinger and some artwork for the Wasp, then you should also be giving it Modular Weapon for the same quirk, and treat it exactly like that that.  That's not terribly different from how the Mercury treats its Modular Weapons quirk, and those aren't even detachable.

They do, I'm imagining a middle ground between this and a hard mounted weapon, sort of like a very limited omnimech capability.

Exactly.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 13 March 2024, 18:42:57 »
Oh, I dig... I just thought you meant "Handheld" not "handheld"... English is HARD! ;D