Author Topic: Hills  (Read 3361 times)

General308

• Captain
Hills
« on: 01 February 2020, 23:45:28 »
Is there a good place left to buy hills and mountains? 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Hills
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2020, 10:38:28 »
Home Depot?

Most folks I have seen posting build their own.  Only way around that I have seen are Geohex or similar 3D printed terrain.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

General308

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2020, 12:37:05 »
Home Depot?

Most folks I have seen posting build their own.  Only way around that I have seen are Geohex or similar 3D printed terrain.

I know they are not hard to build.  But I honestly don't want to take the time to do it myself

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2020, 12:43:58 »
Geohex on Ebay is probably your best source for a turnkey terrain system.

The new hotness is 3D printing terrain and painting/flocking. That removes the tedious work of hotwiring foam insulation at least. If that's a workload more up your alley, I could recommend... I think they're called Thunderhead studios. Heavy up-front investment if you don't want to buy/ship the plastic objects themselves. I just got a 3D printer for about $300. Spools of plastic are about $15-25 depending on color/type, about like inkjet cartridges. There's also bespoke services. I know Greatsarcasmo runs his own small shop and will do some on-demand printing.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2020, 13:12:20 »
Yeah . . . 3D print shops are springing up like Kinkos, so if you have files you like that is another option.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

General308

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2020, 23:30:25 »
Tell you what I regret is I wanted to buy some of War-zone's hills for years now they are closed.

I will look at Geo-hex. Wanted that stuff back in the day

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2020, 10:32:19 »
Steel Warrior Studios has Hills you can either buy, or the .stl files to print your own.

Otherwise, yeah, Home Depot, a sharp knife, and green paint.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 05 February 2020, 10:34:10 »
Geohex on Ebay is probably your best source for a turnkey terrain system.

The new hotness is 3D printing terrain and painting/flocking. That removes the tedious work of hotwiring foam insulation at least. If that's a workload more up your alley, I could recommend... I think they're called Thunderhead studios. Heavy up-front investment if you don't want to buy/ship the plastic objects themselves. I just got a 3D printer for about $300. Spools of plastic are about $15-25 depending on color/type, about like inkjet cartridges. There's also bespoke services. I know Greatsarcasmo runs his own small shop and will do some on-demand printing.

Cannot recommend enough Thunderhead...I have a LOT of his files,

General308

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 05 February 2020, 22:00:58 »
Steel Warrior Studios has Hills you can either buy, or the .stl files to print your own.

Otherwise, yeah, Home Depot, a sharp knife, and green paint.

Tell you a funny story about a sharp knife.    Many years ago me and my wife were making some cheap hills out of cheap phone.  My wife started making fun of the box cutter she was using slipped and cut her finger to the bone.   She know has a health respect for box cutters.     

I know they are easy make....Just don't want to will probally break down and just make them

General308

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 05 February 2020, 22:02:00 »
Cannot recommend enough Thunderhead...I have a LOT of his files,

Were are those hills I can't seem to find them

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2020, 09:02:09 »
Tell you a funny story about a sharp knife.    Many years ago me and my wife were making some cheap hills out of cheap phone.  My wife started making fun of the box cutter she was using slipped and cut her finger to the bone.   She know has a health respect for box cutters.     

I know they are easy make....Just don't want to will probally break down and just make them

Sure, but for safer things, Hot Wire Foam cutters:

https://www.amazon.com/Knife-Cutter-Styrofoam-Engraving-Calcor/dp/B078P81GGD

or my personal preference for making hills:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dremel-moto-saw-kit/1000662212

Register