Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza  (Read 159222 times)

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Reply #1110 on: 07 May 2024, 16:23:53 »
There is a Nova Cat character in Dark Age Robert Bravos who IS discriminated against because of his age, retired before his prime. So it happens.
Clan Protectorate

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #1111 on: 07 May 2024, 18:07:03 »
There is a Nova Cat character in Dark Age Robert Bravos who IS discriminated against because of his age, retired before his prime. So it happens.
Huh, you're right. Although I am slightly distrustful of the source, but MW:Dark Age Dossiers and Pilot Cards clearly says that he was a Bloodnamed ristar who was made solahma by age 37. The description of him is kind of hilarious.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1112 on: 07 May 2024, 19:17:04 »
Huh, you're right. Although I am slightly distrustful of the source, but MW:Dark Age Dossiers and Pilot Cards clearly says that he was a Bloodnamed ristar who was made solahma by age 37. The description of him is kind of hilarious.

I could easily see a superior commander in the Nova Cats who feels Nova Cat differences in things such as visions and age tolerance is what led to their downfall and exile perhaps being overzealous to enforce such general Clan norms almost out of spite/reflect.

Robert Bravos is still kicking though as of 3150 I think, he last appeared in TRO 3150.
Clan Protectorate

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1113 on: 08 May 2024, 10:13:05 »
I could easily see a superior commander in the Nova Cats who feels Nova Cat differences in things such as visions and age tolerance is what led to their downfall and exile perhaps being overzealous to enforce such general Clan norms almost out of spite/reflect.

Robert Bravos is still kicking though as of 3150 I think, he last appeared in TRO 3150.
Agreed, and I can imagine that there are some members of the Cats who think that we should be "more Clan like" given the Dark Age times, and thus act more like hard-line Clans.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1114 on: 09 May 2024, 11:02:49 »
I mean, it's not like they said the age bias doesnt exist at all. It's just doesnt seem to be as prevalent as in other clans. 37 is positively ancient by Clan standards for someone not in a command position :D.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1115 on: 10 May 2024, 10:58:17 »
I mean, it's not like they said the age bias doesnt exist at all. It's just doesnt seem to be as prevalent as in other clans. 37 is positively ancient by Clan standards for someone not in a command position :D.

I think Robert Bravos was at least Star Captain, maybe Star Colonel?

I really hope he gets a small redemptive chapter or two in Bill's upcoming novel.
Clan Protectorate

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #1116 on: 11 May 2024, 01:50:37 »
What novel is that ? :cool:

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1117 on: 11 May 2024, 05:43:09 »
Robert Bavros is listed in the MW:Dark Age Dossiers and Pilot Cards (p 128), maybe elsewhere. He commanded an "
elite squadron" according to the text, so probably he's a Star Captain.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1118 on: 11 May 2024, 07:38:28 »

Randall Bills has alluded several times to working on a Spirit Cat/Nova Cat novel set in the late Dark Age/IlClan Era, which in his own words will "tie up" a lot of Spirit Cat Dark Age plot lines that are currently unresolved. He says he's currently 70% done on planning it.

The three biggest loose ends for the Spirit Cats/Nova Cats by the end of Dark Age are;

- Who killed Kev Rosse (my guess, retconned into Red Duke, highly likely to appear in novel)
- Where is Kisho Nova Cat (Highly likely to be in novel)
- An in-depth look at how the Spirit Cats have tried to recreate their society on Marik (Low probability)
- Whatever happened to all the Nova Cat enclaves NOT in the Draconis Combine invasion corridor (Very low probability of being answered)
« Last Edit: 11 May 2024, 12:32:03 by Spirit Cat Refugee »
Clan Protectorate

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1119 on: 11 May 2024, 08:52:46 »
Oh, sorry, I completely misunderstood your question. Just saw Spirit Cat Refugee's response, which is right on. Apologies.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #1120 on: 12 May 2024, 07:16:24 »
Thanks guys.

Besides this novel and "Without Question" coming out soon, any more whispers of ilClan Era Clan novels or short stories ?

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1121 on: 13 May 2024, 08:57:48 »
I think Robert Bravos was at least Star Captain, maybe Star Colonel?

I really hope he gets a small redemptive chapter or two in Bill's upcoming novel.
See by 'Command' I mean high command. Star Colonel or higher.
Star Captain is essentially a Lt. If he's been at that position for 5+ years, or worse, was a higher rank and then dropped because of a failed Trial?

But that's mostly just speculation.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1122 on: 16 May 2024, 09:17:32 »
Hopefully some of you can help me parse some things out. For a while now I have been inspired by @parable's ceremonial Nova Cat uniform, and coupled with a bunch of friends who religiously attend DragonCon, I've been thinking of putting together a Nova Cat field uniform.

I'm trying to figure out some of what Randall meant in his descriptions though. The field uniform is described as a "full-length body suit", which I actually take to mean something like a one-piece flight suit or coveralls rather than a form fitting spandex body-suit. I was thinking something like this or this with "banded collar".

And the "thin-black stripe", I just imagine as a single, maybe 1/2 inch (1cm) wide stripe starting at the collar and going down the center of the left arm sleeve, torso, and leg?

Does that seem right?

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1123 on: 16 May 2024, 23:31:20 »
FM: Comstar has a picture of their Second Star League uniform, though it seems somewhat stylized given the description in the text.  As for the stripe, I always imagined it on the front, going over the left nipple area and down the center of the left leg, with an additional one on the outside of the left arm.  Remember that epaulettes and shoulder areas are a mosaic of glossy black in imitation of Nova Cat fur: I picture something like the a Western shirt's yoke, made of interlocking lozenge shapes, with the stripe terminating at said shapes: think of the bottom edge as \/\/\/ on one side and \/\//\\/, where the stripe goes straight down from the edges of the /\.  This is really hard to describe without sketches or hand symbols.

I'd go with heat transfer vinyl for the shoulders and stripe.  Oracal 651 is an inexpensive one.  As a base, your first link looks spot-on to me, with just a bit of work to convert the collar into a mandarin one...a modification I personally have made to a boilersuit for a Fallout cosplay years back.  And for the vineer pouch, I have a feeling some have hand-sewn sinew and leather medicine pouches, others full-on sporrans, and everything in-between.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1124 on: 17 May 2024, 11:18:43 »
FM: Comstar has a picture of their Second Star League uniform, though it seems somewhat stylized given the description in the text.  As for the stripe, I always imagined it on the front, going over the left nipple area and down the center of the left leg, with an additional one on the outside of the left arm.  Remember that epaulettes and shoulder areas are a mosaic of glossy black in imitation of Nova Cat fur: I picture something like the a Western shirt's yoke, made of interlocking lozenge shapes, with the stripe terminating at said shapes: think of the bottom edge as \/\/\/ on one side and \/\//\\/, where the stripe goes straight down from the edges of the /\.  This is really hard to describe without sketches or hand symbols.

I'd go with heat transfer vinyl for the shoulders and stripe.  Oracal 651 is an inexpensive one.  As a base, your first link looks spot-on to me, with just a bit of work to convert the collar into a mandarin one...a modification I personally have made to a boilersuit for a Fallout cosplay years back.  And for the vineer pouch, I have a feeling some have hand-sewn sinew and leather medicine pouches, others full-on sporrans, and everything in-between.
Parable, this is incredibly helpful! Cheers! Especially the Oracal 651. I hear what you are saying about the nova cat fur, and I'll have to see if I can't find a pattern for that. So for your Fallout cosplay (super cool, btw, my crew did a Fallout cosplay a few years ago for D-Con), you just cut and converted a standard collar to a mandarin?

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1125 on: 17 May 2024, 11:22:26 »
Does the attached image seem like a correct-ish interpretation of the Nova Cat field uniform? Going with pre-SLDF patches for an Alpha Galaxy, 1st Nova Cat Guards, mechwarrior, Star Captain, Point 1?

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1126 on: 17 May 2024, 17:20:29 »
Does the attached image seem like a correct-ish interpretation of the Nova Cat field uniform? Going with pre-SLDF patches for an Alpha Galaxy, 1st Nova Cat Guards, mechwarrior, Star Captain, Point 1?

This looks pretty spot-on, yeah.  I'll see if I can't bang out a sketch to illustrate what I mean about the shoulder bits.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1127 on: 17 May 2024, 21:43:15 »
This looks pretty spot-on, yeah.  I'll see if I can't bang out a sketch to illustrate what I mean about the shoulder bits.

That would be rad, thanks! I'm nervous about how to reproduce those. I've found Velcro shoulder boards, so mounting them shouldn't be a challenge, but getting the nova cat bit might be.

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1128 on: 18 May 2024, 01:32:31 »
Quick concept sketch.  Darkened bits in vinyl, size/shape/placement are all up for debate, but I'm assuming interlocking diamonds a la the Clan emblem and the Cameron Star. 

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1129 on: 18 May 2024, 12:35:01 »
Quick concept sketch.  Darkened bits in vinyl, size/shape/placement are all up for debate, but I'm assuming interlocking diamonds a la the Clan emblem and the Cameron Star.
@parable, this is incredibly helpful and awesome! What was your source for this? Love the interlocking Cameron Star. I'm stoked to work on this.

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1130 on: 18 May 2024, 15:55:42 »
@parable, this is incredibly helpful and awesome! What was your source for this? Love the interlocking Cameron Star. I'm stoked to work on this.

I took the description from FM: Comstar and applied my own take on it: it's supposed to mimic the Nova Cat's fur, and given the starburst of the Clan emblem and the looks of the Second Star League uniform, I felt that interlocking geometric shapes were the way to go.  As for where and why I arranged them like I did, that was entirely me faffing about, with no real rhyme or reason other than "this might look good" and "ope, I've got space to spare here."

As an aside, extrapolating from Clan logos is why I contend that Ghost Bears are hexapods.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1131 on: 18 May 2024, 16:35:49 »
I took the description from FM: Comstar and applied my own take on it: it's supposed to mimic the Nova Cat's fur, and given the starburst of the Clan emblem and the looks of the Second Star League uniform, I felt that interlocking geometric shapes were the way to go.  As for where and why I arranged them like I did, that was entirely me faffing about, with no real rhyme or reason other than "this might look good" and "ope, I've got space to spare here."

I'd say the faffing paid off, it looks great!
As an aside, extrapolating from Clan logos is why I contend that Ghost Bears are hexapods.
You're not wrong....a six-legged Ghost Bear.

Register