Author Topic: Best 3025 Training 'Mech and Dueling Light  (Read 7908 times)

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
Best 3025 Training 'Mech and Dueling Light
« on: 23 February 2011, 03:08:01 »
I'm hoping to run an AToW campaign with some friends, which would be their first introduction to Battletech. I have some preliminary storylines written up but I'm hoping that once they get a little bit into the universe I can give them their head to lie, cheat, swindle and generally front their way through the Solaris arenas.

As these are very new players, I'd like to run a few holo-tank scenarios with them to show them the rules and how movement, jumping, overheating etc. work. What 'Mechs would you suggest for this purpose?

Secondly, once they learn the ropes I hope that they'll take the chance to compete in Solaris itself. Now, when they pool their ill-gotten wins and buy themselves a Light, I'd like them to have a bit of a leg up on the competition as they'll be starting out. What 'Mech would you suggest for this? I was thinking a WLF-1, or JR7-F or something.

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
Re: Best 3025 Training 'Mech and Dueling Light
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2011, 03:22:59 »
The CLN-7V Chamelleon is a perfect trainer mech ... that is what it's designed for (Level 1 50 tonner).  [rockon]

Dave.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2011, 03:45:13 »
IC, the Chameleon and Stinger are popular trainers.
The Chameleon is a fairly capable 'Mech and also occasionally (rarely) found in frontline service. Perhaps your players could somehow get a chance to steal their Chameleon.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2011, 03:51:50 »
If you fancy a little more firepower the Crockett was also originally designed as a training mech
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Railan Sradac

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2011, 04:10:35 »
I was intending to have an old hand give them training in a simulator, as then a) the 'mech they train on doesn't necessarily have to be the one they'll be using in competition and b) they won't have to pay repair costs.

Chameleon sounds good for this purpose, as it has JJs, plenty of energy weapons and then that box of MG ammo so they can see what ammo cooking off is like.

No ideas for the S7 light yet?

Havock

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2011, 08:24:50 »
3028, but the level1 wolfhound is a decent ride for the purpose too, I guess.

IndyRI

• Lieutenant
  • Is it really still snowing?
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2011, 08:41:19 »
The GRasshopper and Guillotine are good for training as well. Durable enough that they're likely to win, while covering all of the basics of mech combat: Moving, Jumping, Energy Weapons, Ammo Weapons, Cluster Weapons, etc.
HEIRS OF AMARIS - An AU Setting for Classic Battletech

Come and see. Comments welcome.
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=757.msg15033

Battlemech Designs Galore
http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=840.0

Trenchknife

• Sergeant
  • Combined Arms is Life and Death
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2011, 10:16:00 »
Heck, the standard Jenner is a good trainer...fast, jumps, energy and missiles.  And it will teach them the benefit of maneuver as it CANNOT take a pounding.  Other ideas: Wolfhound is decent, so's the Panther, might even go so far as recommending hops in Valkyries and Javelins.  Course there's the Mongoose (which also makes a pretty mean light S7 fighter), Commando and Locusts if you want to show a bit more variety.

As for light S7 'Mechs...Mongoose, Jenner-7F or either of the Javelins.  Wolfhound and Panther are usually both decent, though in the light arena they have glaring flaws in maneuverability.  If you want a bit heavier there are the Vindicator, Assassin and Vulcan.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2011, 14:05:03 »
We're talking LIGHT MECHS folks.  Chameleon and Crockett are a little BIG don't you think?  ::)

I'm with the Jenner crowd.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2011, 14:19:49 »
It may sound silly, but if you want them to have an advantage in a Class 2 fight I would point you at the UrbanMech. Granted, it's a turret, but that AC/10 is killer against other lights and it has the armour load to stand up to most other units. Against the Stingers and Wasps that are most common in Class 2, it's nigh-unstoppable. Some people may point to the Panther for the same purpose, but the minimum range on the PPC is a killer.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2011, 14:29:48 »
We're talking LIGHT MECHS folks.  Chameleon and Crockett are a little BIG don't you think?  ::)

I'm with the Jenner crowd.

The Dueling is to be a light, the weight of the Traning 'Mech was not mentioned at all from what I read, and I certainly do not think when I mentioned the Chameleon I was being over the top for a Good training 'Mech do you ? ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  8)  ???

a Stinger would be a better choice if a Light 'Mech is wanted.

Dave.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2011, 14:32:26 »
Actually, that would be a misinterpretation on my part.

Trust me, I do agree with the Chameleon.  I would also go with the the Phoenix Hawk.
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Davion_Boy_74

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2011, 14:34:03 »
Actually, that would be a misinterpretation on my part.

Trust me, I do agree with the Chameleon.  I would also go with the the Phoenix Hawk.

NP, the P'Hawk is a good choice  [rockon]

Dave.

Johnny 'NKH' Leyland

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2011, 06:06:20 »
Refitting a Panther with a Large Laser is one idea.

The JVN-10F Javelin is similar to the JR7-F Jenner.

I think the Urbanmech was the best idea though, not just for the AC10 but because it's funny and it starts the players right at the bottom.

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #14 on: 24 February 2011, 06:44:47 »
If you need a Solaris dueler, the A/C-20 variant on the UrbanMech might be the go. Otherwise, the Fire Javelin and Fire Locust (or, equally, Mongoose) do spring to mind. If you are allowed a little bit of customisation, a Firestarter that ditches the Machine Guns and Ammo for more armour/weapons/heat sinks would go OK as long as you can light them up with your Flamers for heat. Few Lights can deal with that sort of thing, and then you can tuck in behind them.

In terms of a trainer, the SHD-2H Shadow Hawk has pretty much everything aside from anti-infantry weapons, and might be worth looking into as well.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2011, 08:55:32 »
stinger/chameleon are the best

and of course if its pre=3039 you arent likely
to have access to a wolfhound
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2011, 20:36:55 »
the Wasp is also good as a trainer. Multiple variants to choose from. Seems that every house had its own version. I like the standard 1A but the K is also a good choice.