Author Topic: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium  (Read 380070 times)

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
Re: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium
« Reply #1080 on: 08 July 2018, 07:05:45 »
So two ideas that sees a firm alliance between the FWL and FS. Before their own versions of the FedCom Civil War.

Well my basic working idea right now is much simpler military alliance between them to eliminate the Capellans, followed by a non-aggression pact as each will then have a long shared border. No weddings or unification of the realms.

Then I have a Liao family member getting wind of the impending alliance and attack, becoming a "doomsday prepper" and making arrangements to survive.

BlackLiger

• Recruit
« Reply #1081 on: 13 July 2018, 17:47:35 »
549:
The year is 3050. Northern edge of the inner sphere. Pyramidal shaped warships approach a number of worlds, landing troops armed with man portable ppcs. Their rulers demand that humanity now down before the Gods, and the Kuritans, Steiners and Free Rassalhauge all mobilise to defend against the invaders.

Meanwhile, in the Pentagon worlds, il Khan Leo Showers finishes his bargain with the free Jaffa rebellion... the galaxy will not be the same...

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1082 on: 20 July 2018, 20:00:24 »
549:
The year is 3050. Northern edge of the inner sphere. Pyramidal shaped warships approach a number of worlds, landing troops armed with man portable ppcs. Their rulers demand that humanity now down before the Gods, and the Kuritans, Steiners and Free Rassalhauge all mobilise to defend against the invaders.

Meanwhile, in the Pentagon worlds, il Khan Leo Showers finishes his bargain with the free Jaffa rebellion... the galaxy will not be the same...
Why?
Why give the Clans a front row seat at the chance to get Goa'uld salvage?

BlackLiger

• Recruit
« Reply #1083 on: 21 July 2018, 04:57:31 »
Warrior cultures. The Jaffa and the clans think relatively alike there

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1084 on: 23 July 2018, 00:06:59 »

At the Outreach conference, the heirs of the various Successor States are brought together for ‘special training’. And when they’re interacting for the first time ... Sun Tzu is the rational one who encourages everyone to work together. It seems he’s completely sane, realises his mother isn’t, and really wants the Clans stopped, preferably before they reach Capellan space. “Because there’s literally no evidence that they won’t attack us when they’re finished with your nations. Call it enlightened self interest ...”

Oh, and he facepalms when his mother embarrasses the Confederation during the conference by acting insane (because she is) ... honestly, he wishes she’d act more like Aunt Candace ...

Basically, Sun Tzu is not only sane and rational, but actually closer in temperament to his cousin Kai ... without his antagonism during and after their first meeting, he becomes the mortar that links the heirs together ... and their parents look on in a mixture of amazement and horror as the next generation of Successor Lords get along and become friends and comrades ...

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1085 on: 31 July 2018, 06:26:11 »

At the Outreach conference, the heirs of the various Successor States are brought together for ‘special training’. And when they’re interacting for the first time ... Sun Tzu is the rational one who encourages everyone to work together. It seems he’s completely sane, realises his mother isn’t, and really wants the Clans stopped, preferably before they reach Capellan space. “Because there’s literally no evidence that they won’t attack us when they’re finished with your nations. Call it enlightened self interest ...”

Oh, and he facepalms when his mother embarrasses the Confederation during the conference by acting insane (because she is) ... honestly, he wishes she’d act more like Aunt Candace ...

Basically, Sun Tzu is not only sane and rational, but actually closer in temperament to his cousin Kai ... without his antagonism during and after their first meeting, he becomes the mortar that links the heirs together ... and their parents look on in a mixture of amazement and horror as the next generation of Successor Lords get along and become friends and comrades ...
He ****** them all over anyway years down the line when they elect him First Lord.

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1086 on: 31 July 2018, 10:20:00 »
He ****** them all over anyway years down the line when they elect him First Lord.
... why? If he’s genuinely a good guy who gets along well with the others, what reason does he have to turn on them? Hell, playing nice could lead to reunification with St Ives, and negotiate return of many worlds lost to previous generations ...

al103

• Corporal
« Reply #1087 on: 02 August 2018, 16:00:01 »
... why? If he’s genuinely a good guy who gets along well with the others, what reason does he have to turn on them? Hell, playing nice could lead to reunification with St Ives, and negotiate return of many worlds lost to previous generations ...
Even based on self-interest alone if he manages to get elected as First Lord he would joyfully try to manage things to stay First Lord in perpetuity.

Not to mention if Sun-Tzu/Isis and Victor/Omi he have all chances to have grandson with legal claim on everything in the far future.

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1088 on: 16 August 2018, 00:33:55 »
Code: [Select]
To: Marina Akkayev-Cameron

Distant cousin, you barely know me, but as you follow your duty to suppress the Taurian uprising I must offer a warning.  Some months ago I had a dream.  I dreamed it was the early twenty-first century, but it wasn't our early twenty-first century.  There was no second Cold War.  Crippen Station never existed.  Australia never declared neutrality.  No Western Alliance.  No interplanetary space travel.  The waking world was the background for a miniature wargame.  Absurd, yes?  A time of peace makes a poor wargame.  And that peace is unraveling right now just like in the game's backstory.  Stefan Amaris is about to murder Richard and all his family and declare himself emperor.  You're the only one to escape other than the Cameron-Davions and they're outside the succession.  I don't expect you to believe me, but heed this: If Terra falls you must assume you are the last Cameron.  Don't let yourself be risked.  Without a Cameron to claim the Director Generalship and First Lordship the council will tear civilization apart over a throne none of them can seize.  In the dream you didn't make it to the end of the Civil War, though I don't know when or how you died.  Taking some risk you're too politically indispensable to take no doubt. 

If General Kerensky is willing to listen to dreams tell him that Amaris is forced to destroy the SDS controls and the people who know how to restore control die defying him.  There's a period of vulnerability that closes when the General moves on the Rim Worlds Republic first.  I can't remember anything else that might be useful. 

I'll try to be out of Amaris's reach when I think the massacre happens, but I don't have much hope and even if I do I won't have the political capital that comes with an admiral's streamer.  Please keep yourself safe for the sake of all humanity.

I'm afraid I don't feel myself competent to actually write this SI.  I'm not even entirely sure what direction I'd want to take it.  S. I. Cameron could subvert the SI genre by dying in the throneroom massacre with all the other Camerons and it could be a story about what Marina does with the warning, or it could be the first failed butterfly a more traditional SI who escapes Amaris's purge through some suitably dramatic mechanism.  Possibly by blowing off Richard's Christmas Party to visit the SLS Dreadnought museum and hoping I didn't remember wrong and the massacre was on New Years. 

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1089 on: 16 August 2018, 18:23:02 »
TRIBBLE# 551

I am overjoyed at discovering this thread, and my addition to the what-ifs:

The Star League Civil War between Amaris and the SLDF occurs as it does in cannon, and as in cannon the House Lords demand Aleksandr Kerensky to disperse the troops as it happened in cannon, and instead of going on the exodus to the cannon homeworlds, he goes on the route through the DC and into the periphery but changes course to the Outer Colonies region instead..and there is an alliance between the SLDF in exile and the Department of Communications, which changes into "ComStar", and the "religion" of the Blessed Blake is just a deception devised by both Kerensky and Blake. ComStar is the intelligence gathering organization to watch and observe the Inner Sphere for the SLDF, for when the time comes to return and restore the League or to announce their return when civilization has failed.  During the long centuries of the succession wars, two camps of thought developed, one is the Warden view, to watch and provide covert assistance to select groups without that groups knowledge, like "developing new technologies" to aid in humanitarian efforts, and keeping any one group from gaining the upper hand, then you have the Crusader view, those that want to unite the Inner Sphere by force under a restored Star League without any of the House Lords.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1090 on: 25 August 2018, 17:19:14 »
Tribble #552

In order to work past the various regional loyalties and prejudices, when the Wolf Dragoons take on the training of the various royal Heirs during the Outreach Conference in 3051 they propose drastic measures: dosing each student with a drug that will temporarily suppress their memories of their identities. For the sake of argument assume this is something the Clans have to deal with bondsmen who have trouble adapting to a new Clan. As long as it's not over-used it's perfectly safe and there's a counter-agent that will neutralise it within 24 hours if for some reason its' preferable not to let it wear off naturally. While the Successor Lords are hesitant, the debacle with the fake bomb persuades them that this is necessary. A few other not originally participating are included to muddy the waters in case the students figure it out.

So eight men and six women ranging in age from their teens to their thirties wake up with no idea who they are. They are informed they are a mix of royal heirs and promising young soldiers who are being trained together. Video recordings, suitably anonymised, show that they agreed to this.

The drugs may suppress identities but not character-traits or skills. Some clearly have talent and existing skills in combat, others are willing to learn or to support in other ways. And some are not.

Inevitably they do speculate amongst themselves as to who the royals are. Their theories are that 2 (decent fighter and solid leader) and 9 (self-centred bitch) are from the same royal family given slight resemblence, and that 5 (youngest and least skilled) is probably from another royal family. Similarly 13 has no significant combat training but does seem to be good at working with people, so she's a likely candidate. 11 would be rated similarly but she's clearly related to 10 who's so hyper aggressive they just can't believe she'd have been allowed to develop that behaviour.

6 and 7 are probably older aides or bodyguards they think, with 1 likely to develop into a similar role since he's very reliable as back-up but doesn't take the lead much. 3 and 14 are pretty much the two ace combatants and commanders, with 4 and 8 seeming to be good strategists but not so skilled as warriors so they could go either way. Best guess on 12 is that she's some sort of assassin/bodyguard because she's got lethal instincts.

The participants are:
1 Victor Steiner-Davion, 2 Galen Cox, 3 Kai Allard-Liao, 4 Sun-Tzu Liao, 5 Ragnar Magnusson, 6 Hohiro Kurita, 7 Shin Yodama, 8 Brian Cameron, 9 Katherine Steiner-Davion, 10 Cassandra Allard-Liao, 11 Kuan-Yin Allard-Liao, 12 Omi Kurita, 13 Isis Marik & 14 Maeve Wolf

And then the drugs wear off (or the counter is applied) and they and their families have to assimilate what they've learned about the trainees.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #1091 on: 25 August 2018, 19:21:24 »
dude
this needs development
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Ironburk

• Recruit
« Reply #1092 on: 25 August 2018, 21:16:37 »
I laughed myself sick reading this tribble. Well done in braking people's minds and egos down. Hopefully this would be a wake up call for most involved. I would love to read a story developing the concept.  :thumbsup:

novastorm76

• Recruit
« Reply #1093 on: 26 August 2018, 10:13:51 »
Brian Cameron? Cant remember him.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1094 on: 26 August 2018, 10:47:31 »
Brian Cameron? Cant remember him.

Wolf's Dragoons communications officer, aide to Jaime Wolf and in universe author of the Wolf Pack novel.

novastorm76

• Recruit
« Reply #1095 on: 26 August 2018, 10:54:38 »
Thank you. If I hear Cameron I automatically think "House Cameron" of Terra.

smdvogrin

• Corporal
« Reply #1096 on: 27 August 2018, 12:39:10 »
Tribble #552

Inevitably they do speculate amongst themselves as to who the royals are. Their theories are that 2 (decent fighter and solid leader) and 9 (self-centred bitch) are from the same royal family given slight resemblence, and that 5 (youngest and least skilled) is probably from another royal family. Similarly 13 has no significant combat training but does seem to be good at working with people, so she's a likely candidate. 11 would be rated similarly but she's clearly related to 10 who's so hyper aggressive they just can't believe she'd have been allowed to develop that behaviour.

6 and 7 are probably older aides or bodyguards they think, with 1 likely to develop into a similar role since he's very reliable as back-up but doesn't take the lead much. 3 and 14 are pretty much the two ace combatants and commanders, with 4 and 8 seeming to be good strategists but not so skilled as warriors so they could go either way. Best guess on 12 is that she's some sort of assassin/bodyguard because she's got lethal instincts.

The participants are:
1 Victor Steiner-Davion, 2 Galen Cox, 3 Kai Allard-Liao, 4 Sun-Tzu Liao, 5 Ragnar Magnusson, 6 Hohiro Kurita, 7 Shin Yodama, 8 Brian Cameron, 9 Katherine Steiner-Davion, 10 Cassandra Allard-Liao, 11 Kuan-Yin Allard-Liao, 12 Omi Kurita, 13 Isis Marik & 14 Maeve Wolf

And then the drugs wear off (or the counter is applied) and they and their families have to assimilate what they've learned about the trainees.

I want to see this so bad.  I called Victor correctly, although I got Katherine wrong...

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1097 on: 30 August 2018, 16:26:38 »
553: on April 1, 3020, The Periphery suddenly goes dark. When they re-establish contact, the Great Houses are understandably confused. Who are the Rim Federation, Outworlds Pact, and Magistracy of Taurus?

553b: As above, but on Grey Monday.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1098 on: 31 August 2018, 02:25:22 »
Well, Rim Federation is gonna take a fair chunk of Lyrans with em if I am remembering map boundries...

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1099 on: 11 September 2018, 18:01:23 »
554: Swap the dates of creation of the QuadVee and the Land-Air Mech.

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1100 on: 13 September 2018, 07:10:17 »
555: Strana Mechty, April 24, 3060. Victor has just killed Osis, and is about to deliver his speech, when the assembled Khans and guards all fall to their knees before him, declaring him Ilkhan.

*may be entirely too fond of The Chronicles of Riddick*

Ironburk

• Recruit
« Reply #1101 on: 13 September 2018, 21:28:04 »
 ;D Ok, I love this. Victor would be like "Wut?" And the rest of the Clans would be like "You got rid of the Smoked Fukkers. Three cheers for the new Ilkhan!" Cue everybody else wondering just what just happened.  :thumbsup:

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1102 on: 14 September 2018, 00:06:39 »
"Only Nicholas Kerensky could destroy a Clan. As you have destroyed a Clan, you must be Nicholas Kerensky (reborn)! Command us!"
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1103 on: 15 September 2018, 21:50:51 »
"Will you lead us to conquer Terra now?"

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1104 on: 16 September 2018, 02:19:41 »
Tribble 556

During the 'Death Commando' attack on NAIS, First Prince Hanse Davion takes to his 'Mech and smashes several much lighter mechs like a boss... but also gets swarmed over and takes a cockpit hit. In the aftermath it's found that he bled out while the defenders were mopping up.

Morgan Hasek-Davion returns triumphant from Sian... and is more or less dragged onto a dropship and taken to New Avalon. Somewhere between this and being parked on the throne he manages to convince the government that like any prisoner he should be allowed a call. "Melissa, please tell me you're pregnant." "Yes, how did you guess?" "It was more hope. You're a widow, please come back for the funeral." "Wait, what? Morgan? Morgan?"

Having settled the whole 'interdiction thing' with ComStar (read: agreeing to Myndo's demands to let her garrison HPGs just so he could make that call), Morgan is now even more popular and is dragged up to the throne. Someone raises the crown above his head.

"IfanyonehasanygoodreasonthatMorganshouldnotbeFirstPrince..."

"I OBJECT!"

"Look, the First Prince can't object."

"I'm not the rightful heir!"

"But you're Hanse Davion's nearest male or female relative who's a war hero! You must be the heir!"

"Look, he got married just last year! Is it too much to believe that she's pregnant?"

"He hasn't met her since then. It's been way more than nine months!"

"There was a secret visit! I met her! Take these handcuffs off me! I refuse to be a Usurper!"

"Do you have any witnesses to this claim?"

"Ardan Sortek?"

"He's off on Tikonov."

"Kym Sorenson."

"She's your fiancee, of course she'd lie for you."

"Quintus Allard!"

"A spymaster and therefore by default untrustworthy."

"You... don't get how that works, do you. Uh... Kincaid Fessul!"

"Who?"

"He's a fisherman who Hanse befriended as a child!"

"I... have no prepared dismissal. I... suppose we have no choice but to let you off the chair for now. But don't go anywhere until we can dismiss this defense and crown you."

Fortunately for Morgan, Melissa and Ardan rush back via the hard-worked command circuit and it's confirmed that Melissa is pregnant. Once Victor is born and it's confirmed he's Hanse's child, a regency is needed. While Morgan would be a logical choice, being regent automatically excludes you from ruling yourself and he is the next in line and still quite young - plus he has obligations on New Syrtis and having a regent who is also ruling the Capellan March has... unfortunate history.

Melissa is too young and too foreign to be sole regent so a triumvirate is set up with Yvonne Davion and Xerxes Davion (one of the Argyle branch of House Davion and an experienced military officer) to advise her. Melissa sits on the throne and formally holds the crown above baby Victor's head and promises to guard it for the day he's old enough and ready to assume the power of First Prince.

So what does this change?

First, Victor has no siblings. Secondly, he'll mostly grow up on New Avalon, at least until Katrina dies of cancer.  After that point he and Melissa would have to relocate to Tharkad - with visits, certainly.

Would the War of 3039 even happen? It's possible but now Melissa is the one making that decision. And in fact all the decisions. Legally, the Federated Commonwealth doesn't exist until Victor inherits but in practical purposes Melissa Steiner-Davion is the first Archon-Prince in all but name.

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1105 on: 16 September 2018, 17:03:39 »
Fund it!

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #1106 on: 16 September 2018, 17:07:24 »
Fund it!

Blah, Blah never really thoughr Victor or Melissa wee interesting characters in Canon.  Wrote nearly 300 pages saying as such

Ironburk

• Recruit
« Reply #1107 on: 16 September 2018, 21:35:40 »
At least Victor will not be only a warrior Prince. And Melissa won't be murdered by her own child. I would read it.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #1108 on: 16 September 2018, 23:58:19 »
At least Victor will not be only a warrior Prince. And Melissa won't be murdered by her own child. I would read it.

yep Hanse's biggest errors were in the ways the kids were raised, and I primarily blame him for the way these kids rarely saw each other, stashed away at school, on planets in different states, with the amount of traffic between them it wouldn't have been difficult to get them from Tharkad to New Avalon in 2-3 weeks and thats without even using a pony express type system
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #1109 on: 17 September 2018, 08:46:02 »

Now if Victor did get rid of Melissa, now that's a good story.  Good old Bloodthirsty Davions and Treacherous Steiners, best of both worlds