Author Topic: (Answered UPDATED) Primitive 'Mechs/ASF and Engine Ratings  (Read 1697 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Hello,

I've got a question on the engine ratings on primitive 'Mechs and aerospace fighters that may belong here, or may belong in Ask the Writers.  If, after reading, this belongs there, please move accordingly.

I'm clear on how engine calculations work in both cases, but there are certain combinations of mass and speed that can result in some designs being able to use the same engine as both a primitive and more advanced design.  One canon example would be the WSP-1, which uses a 120-rating engine to go 5/8 before jump jets, and the intro tech WSP-1A that replaced it, which used the same engine to go 6/9 base before jump jets.

This made me wonder, are these both the same engine?  Were you to shove the WSP-1's engine, for example, into a WSP-1A (or vice versa), would the 'Mech's base speed be unaffected, or would this instead result in a mixed-tech design using a combination of intro tech and primitive tech, with a resulting change in base speed?

Basically, I'm trying to clarify where the *1.2 modifier comes from: engine or myomers (or thrusters in the case of aerospace fighters).  Does the primitive unit's engine produce 5/6 the power output of a similarly-massed standard engines, or do primitive motive systems consume 20% more power to produce the same results?
« Last Edit: 06 April 2017, 18:52:38 by Xotl »
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Primitive 'Mechs/ASF and Engine Ratings
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2016, 16:39:36 »
Basically, I'm trying to clarify where the *1.2 modifier comes from: engine or myomers (or thrusters in the case of aerospace fighters).  Does the primitive unit's engine produce 5/6 the power output of a similarly-massed standard engines, or do primitive motive systems consume 20% more power to produce the same results?

The engines in Primitive units are Primitive engines, distinct from regular fusion engines.  Per IO p. 123, they will not improve a unit's performance when placed in a modern chassis.

« Last Edit: 06 April 2017, 18:52:18 by Xotl »
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Register