Author Topic: "Crusade" - BattleTech "Concertverse" AU/Dark Ages Era Crossover, Book 2  (Read 5045 times)

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
Hmmmm.  Are the Communist's preparations for invading the Falcons not 'the folks back home'?
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Steve

• Master Sergeant
Hmmmm.  Are the Communist's preparations for invading the Falcons not 'the folks back home'?

I mean, among them, and we'll see some of COMINTERSTEL soon.

Though I may as well get into this now.

1) This is the end of my outline plan so far.  I'd stopped the outline due to hitting some uncertainty, though I do have a rough timeline of events checked out.  And resuming it will require me to decide on point 2...

2) Given how events are meant to go, putting everything in this book would arguably make it too big, or force me to go very broad, like A Bonfire of Worlds did.  Neither alternative is something I want to do.  So as an alternative I am contemplating having Templar87 do a completely separate story about impending things in the Transglass (Canon) FedSuns and what's due to come there, and the COMINTERSTEL front would also likely be its own story mostly, save for the resolution of what's to come on Ark-Royal.  Crusade would thus focus on A) the war with the Wolves with Nathaniel and Alaric as the main POVs, B) Malvina's impending trial for war crimes and its results, and C) unfolding political drama on Arcadia and eventually elsewhere, with C setting up the next planned book, "Conflagration".  (Now that's an ominous title for ya).

I need to make the decision before I finish the outline.  And I've yet to do that because I have other distractions, like writing Field Manual: Royal Federation or, frankly, ideas for original fiction.  I can get paid for original fiction.  Even better, depending on if I finally get something done on it, I might actually get it approved before the poor overworked folks running Shrapnel finally get to my short story submission.   :grin:
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
So book 3 is Conflagration?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Steve

• Master Sergeant
So book 3 is Conflagration?

That's the plan as of now.  Not sure what title will exist for the side accounts I'm considering.
"A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air." Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Steve

• Master Sergeant
Chapter 16 - The Cruel Weight of Responsibility

AFS Hawk's Nest
Rawlinsburg, Snake River District, St. George's Continent
Thuban
Wolf Empire/Lyran Commonwealth (Disputed)
18 July 3143

The Operational Command Center aboard the Hawk's Nest was abuzz with activity.  AFRF duty reds predominated, with a small grouping of AFFS green present, primarily around the central holotank.  There, Nathaniel and Julian stood in company with the other commanders joining them for what had been dubbed as "Operation BACKHAND" during the burnout from Tharkad.

Most of Thuban was secure now, indeed had not even been fought over.  From what Nathaniel had learned, hitting a world like Thuban with three crack divisions was considered overkill in the Transglass.  Even back home it would have spoken of a fairly significant priority to the target or expectation of strong enemy resistance.

And they had certainly brought such crack forces. The Lifeguards alone were, losses aside, arguably a match for the cluster of Wolf solahma warriors holding Thuban's capital of Ickesburg.  But Julian's First Davion Guards were also here in their entirety, as were Nathaniel's old unit, the Bolan Heavy Guards, and his father and great-grandfather's storied unit, the Proctor Heavy Guards.  The battle for the Wolves was hopeless by all measure.  And yet…

The frowning middle-aged woman on the holo, in her gray leather, gave nothing but a defiant snarl at Nathaniel's words.  "We do not seek hegira.  Either come and destroy us or leave this world to the Wolves."  She promptly disappeared.

"She can't win."  Those words came from Nathaniel's old division CO, Kashinath Gunaji.  A Bolanese commoner and war veteran, Gunaji was one of the most respected officers in the Bolan Corps of the AFRF, and had won command of House Umayr's prize unit by dint of his service history.  His hair was turning gray at the fringes and his beard and mustache were already primarily of that color, well kept by both AFRF and Bolanese standards.  "This is insanity."

"That's solahma for you," Julian offered.  "They're the losers of the warrior caste, the ones who were never skilled or bold or lucky enough to get Bloodnames at a young enough age. The only value they provide the Clan now is a warm body in a castoff machine that can hold ground or take fire that spares more valuable warriors, and their overriding goal is a glorious death in the hopes they'll at least get their genes used by the scientists for new batches of warriors."

"Well, they'll get that death."  The commander of the Proctor Heavy Guards, Major General Katherine Tremaine, was a stocky and broad-shouldered woman.  A native of the planet Concord, she had graying brown hair pulled into a regulation bun and a light complexion made pale by the months of travel to come from their Inner Sphere to this one.  While she had the regular AFRF cover tucked on one shoulder of her duty reds, the other bore the sky blue beret of the Striker Corps, a reminder of Tremaine's long service with the Eighth Strikers before she was brought into the AFRF's premiere formation.

She ran a hand over the display, marking the buildings where the Wolf forces were focused.  "But they're dug into some of Ickesburg's densest districts. If we attack there's going to be a lot of collateral." She leveled her eyes at Nathaniel.  "We can try to limit it by holding back on some of our stronger munitions, though it's going to cost us in casualties."

"I understand."  Nathaniel glanced towards Matthew, who frowned at the layout of the city. Snarling wolf heads on small generic 'Mech and tank markers showed where enemy machines of those types were in concentration, and small likenesses of generic armor suits reflected enemy armored infantry.  "Any suggestions, General Proctor-Steiner-Davion?"  He'd almost used the far quicker "cousin" but caught himself.

Matthew nodded.  "General Tremaine's got the right of it.  We've hit the limits of what we can do with fancy footwork; from here on out, it's going to get bloody.  That said, we go in hard enough and fast enough, rip the bandage off as quickly as we can, that should keep it bearable.  So I think it's time we break out the really heavy armor; Marshal Davion, you've got those superheavy assault tanks, right?"

"Destriers, yes," Julian said.  "We've got two companies of them and this is exactly the kind of situation they were designed for; we call them 'siege-breakers' for a reason. And I can see what you're thinking, General. We hit them in a way that makes sure they don't get the glory they want, the word'll get out — the Sea Foxes'll make sure of that — and that should make others more likely to accept hegira in future." He considered the map table for a moment. "And since the only other ways we could do that are a protracted siege, or having the Sara Proctor turn her main batteries on the Wolf positions — neither of which is acceptable — it should work." Julian frowned. "But it won't be pretty."

"Better for the people of Ickesburg than dragging it out, though," Gunaji noted.

Nathaniel nodded.  "I had hoped… well…"  He sighed.  Though the lights of the holotank showed simple facsimiles of structures, he knew the real thing contained people.  Civilians, old great-grandparents and young children, people who would die just as quickly to one of his guns as to a Clanner one.  If we send forces into that city, we will kill peopleThere is no avoiding that.  But if we don't, the Wolves will just wait us out, and steal the food of the citizenry to avoid starvation.

Matthew must have seen his hesitation.  "I suppose a siege might see their machines wear down over months, but our timetables won't allow for that, and there's no telling what the solahma will do if we don't come in.  We rip the bandage off. That's the best way."

Nathaniel nodded quietly, feeling a cruel weight on his soul at it.  "This is war," he said in a low, pained voice.  "I knew that coming in, that a decision like this might come. Order the attack."

"Right away, Majesty."

Ickesburg

The GUSV — or "Goose" — brought Nathaniel and his entourage through the streets of Ickesburg.  It'd been clear from their VTOL-borne arrival at the Bolan Heavy Guards' FOB that the city had been hammered in the assault, with columns of smoke and some visible flame prominent along its skyline.  Some of that died down on the ground approach, but only some, and the undamaged outskirts of the city proved a deception as the damaged buildings and telltale detritus of combat increased.  By the time they made it into the central districts, the driver was actively having to swerve around debris clogging up the road.

For Nathaniel, the sight brought not just memories of Tharkad City after the Wolf attack, nor the rubble he'd seen on Timkovichi.  It brought him back to when he was just about six and watching the holovid news reports of MORNING STAR and the devastation it brought to Sirius and Procyon.  I knew then that war was to be avoided, though I was too young to understand how hard that could be.

The driver was forced to change roads by the presence of a Juggernaut tank in Bolan Heavy Guard colors.  The hundred ton assault tank was turned so that it sat across the road and presented its side and front towards them, showing the glacis plate was virtually gone from weapons fire, and one of the barrels on the turret had been blasted off.  I wonder if the crew all survived.  Beyond it, work crews in AFFS green were swarming over the even more colossal form of a Destrier with a gutted track unit, though it looked like the crew had come through unharmed.  A moment before the sight disappeared behind a building, Nathaniel caught a glimpse of a fallen Hunchback in amber and gold

"Urban warfare."  Gunaji shook his head.  "I prayed to never see it again."

"I'm sorry for thwarting that, General," Nathaniel murmured.  I gave the order.  His eyes stayed on the passing buildings and street. Already the residents were coming out of hiding.  Some seemed to approach for help before reconsidering,

"They didn't give us a choice, damn them," Tremaine said from her seat, fuming.  "A damn waste."

The worst was yet to come. The destruction became more intense.  Half-crushed buildings contained fallen BattleMechs. Tanks still fumed, even burned, and the blackened marks of ammunition explosions showed on some of the derelict wrecks and the surroundings.  Bodies in mangled armor suits lay strewn in the streets or amongst the rubble, as the wounded had been cleared first.  More and more he saw his soldiers, his old comrades, working with their 'Mechs and engineering equipment to clear the roads, dig through rubble, and otherwise give aid and comfort to the residents.

Eventually their progress was barred. The road was not yet cleared.  Nathaniel dismounted the GUSV, signaling the others to do the same, and approached the nearest ruins.  Looks like a mixed residential/commercial block. Oh God.  He was unfamiliar with the ruined BattleMech in Wolf colors that lay prostrate across the broken structure, but it was clear what it had suffered.

"Almost no surrenders and not many more prisoners," Gunaji confirmed, stepping up behind him.  "They were not going to give in."

"Like I said, all they have to live for is the hope they fight well enough to get their genes into the breeding program," Julian said. A hard look came over his careworn face.  "We just didn't give them many chances for it."

"Regardless, the responsibility is on me," Nathaniel said quietly.  In his heart and mind, the baleful, confused glare of a heart-broken six year old prince accused him of betraying a long-sworn vow to never fight a war.

An AFRF officer in a combat engineer powersuit stepped up.  She looked not much older than Nathaniel was through her visorplate.  Her armored hand snapped up in a salute.  "Captain Gupta, Second Nagpur Sappers," she said succinctly.  "Majesty, sirs, this is as far as we can safely permit you to go.  Colonel Nayak's orders are explicit.  We have too many potential UXOs and other explosive hazards beyond this point."

"Understood, Captain," Nathaniel said.  Maybe we shouldn't have come.  Maybe we're getting in the way.  "I just… I needed to see it for myself."

"I understand, Majesty."  Perhaps it was something in his expression that prompted Captain Gupta to quickly add, "It looks worse than it is around here. These were commercial districts the Wolves shut down as 'unnecessary'.  The buildings appear to have been empty, though we're still—"

"Captain!"  Another voice called out, in a Bolanese accent that Nathaniel thought was thicker Nagpuri than Guptas.  "Heat signature confirms life!"

A brief flash of frustration and embarrassment crossed Gupta's face before she turned.  Nathaniel, forgetting himself, followed towards a broken building with the ruined husk of a Clan Conjurer splayed across it.  Already some of the suit-clad engineers were digging into the ruin, using the stronger myomer muscles of their suits to shift and remove significant chunks of debris.  Yet the work might have continued for another hour if a colossal hand had not descended.  A looming BattleMech, a Chieftain with hand pods, carried away a large pile of the crushed mortar and concrete.  The MechWarrior dropped the debris into a pile while the other hand grabbed more.

Another thirty seconds passed before a leg was visible through the rubble.  Nathaniel nearly held his breath as the final pieces of debris were removed.  He dared not think his hopes, since they seemed so faint.

"Dead," one of the engineers said once the head was clear.  Blood and gray matter were visible on the chunk of brick the suit-clad engineer held in his powersuit's hand.  "Body is just warm."

Nathaniel closed his eyes.  God, forgive us all, forgive me please.  In the darkness behind his eyelids, he heard clearly the muffled sound that the shifting of debris had so far masked.  His eyes snapped open.  Without hesitation he rushed over, dropped to his knees in the dusty rubble, and forced his arms under the body.  Around him others were in motion, the noise becoming clear to all involved, but it was he that found the source of warmth and felt the movement that created it.  He pulled his arms free and let his eyes focus on the weight now wriggling weakly in his arms, as the crying of a terrified infant filled the air.

"Corpsman!" Nathaniel screamed.  "Get a corpsman now!"

Gupta echoed his order and the call went out.  Nathaniel's eyes focused entirely on the bruised little form shifting in his grasp.  The baby was in a crawler suit that bore tears and cuts from being hit by debris, with more cuts visible on their pale bronze skin and across their fuzzy head. Screams of pain and hunger and terror continued, though weaker than most would expect.

"Unfinished Book," Julian breathed.

Nathaniel felt a grip clench around his heart, indeed his very soul.  "This is my fault," he murmured lowly.  "This child almost died, lost someone, and I caused it.  This is on me."

"The Wolves didn't give you the choice," Matthew reminded him.  "They're the ones with the blood on their hands."

"I still gave the order, knowing it would come to this," Nathaniel insisted. He tried but couldn't hold back the tears, not now.  His soul ached.  "All of this harm. All of this ruin.  The responsibility is mine.  I called for war, I called it holy, God forgive me.  But this is what war is.  Even if I didn't start it… even if it's for a good cause… this is what it is.  It's what it always ends up being."

He said nothing more and waited for the corpsmen to come for the battered life wailing in his quaking arms.  Indeed, he would say nothing more for the rest of the inspection.

Galbraith cavern-city
Gallery
Wolf Empire/Lyran Commonwealth (Disputed)
19 July 3143

The tightly packed apartment blocks of Galbraith's northern districts loomed large, putting Jasek Kelswa-Steiner in mind of the early-colonisation era tomb fields on distant Nusakan. Their shadows cast the street in twilight, obscuring the dimming solar lamps in the cavern roof high above; most of the street lights here had been shot out in earlier fighting, and the apartment blocks were quiet and dead; the Wolves had cut power to them long ago.

A Manteuffel assault tank ground forward, its pale off-white plating looking ethereal, ghostly, in the dying light. Troopers in Grey Death Infiltrator suits swept ahead of it, looking for mines. More followed behind the assault tank, clearing the way for the trio of APCs — a pair of MHI amphibs and a Hasek halftrack — screening the bulk of the infantry; two squads of Hauberk Commandos and a double-platoon of troopers in conventional battledress working a standard sweep pattern, rifles watching high and low for potential threats as the scanner teams did their work. Sniper and weapons teams shifted between overwatch positions with the unhurried speed of long practice. Bringing up the rear of the advancing company were a pair of lumbering Schildkröte tanks, screened by the last squad of Grey Death Infiltrators and a Hound. The seventy-ton BattleMech's long, heavy shoulder mount was up and ready, the eighty-millimetre autocannon panning for threats.

There was an overly precise consistency to the infanteers' dispersion, a rigid application of The Book that Jasek recognised, from his days in the RAF long ago. The sign of a unit still young in the Army List, without learning yet the thousand and one ways that how to apply doctrine in the field differed from the books. The Twenty-sixth Arcturan Guards were exactly that; newly formed and worked up, so recently they hadn't been ready to commit to the battle for Tharkad — not unless things had gotten much, much worse than they'd turned out.

But they are good, Jasek noted silently as he watched the video feed. Good and as well-equipped as possible. That, and the fact that the Twenty-sixth was the only full-strength unit in Taskforce BACKHAND was why they had the point.

Sudden gunfire cut across the image. Bright strings of tracer fire. The stabbing pulse of energy weapons. Snaking missile contrails. Lashing down from the nearest apartment block; shattering away armour, punching men and women from their feet. Shock reigned for a moment, as the Arcturan Guards absorbed the suddenness of the ambush.

Orders and training combined to counter that shock. Weapons fire lanced out at the unmasked Wolf positions; small arms, lasers and particle fire from the APCs' turret mounts. Chewing away at the building the fire had come from as medics and their squadmates dragged or carried the wounded into cover — Jasek caught one infanteer, of Elemental stock from the size of them, carrying two injured comrades to safety at the same time, and made a mental note to find out who they were and write them up for a medal. Autocannon fire walked destruction across the building's front, ripping away chunks of the facade and spilling them — and the Wolf support gunners sheltered behind — to the street in pieces.

The fire from above cutting off gave the infantry their opening, a double-squad storming in behind one of the Hauberk teams. More small arms fire,  the occasional faint crump of grenades — once, twin javelins of shrieking particle fire as the Hound took out a particularly stubborn point of resistance — filled the next few minutes, before the job was done. As the clearance team emerged, bringing their casualties with them, the Guards troopers prepped to move out again.

"And that," Leutnant-General Sarah Regis commented softly, "is pretty typical of what we're up against. Small-scale ambushes; mostly no more than a Point or two of infantry. Haven't hurt us, much, but they're bleeding time. As you can see," she indicated the situation map across one wall of Arcturan Shield's ground operations centre, "there have been a lot."

Jasek nodded, The situation map showed the three tightly clustered cavern-cities the Arcturan combat commands were pushing into, tendrils of blue sweeping back tan Wolf controlled regions. Crimson contact markers speckled the whole display; few active, but the map looked like a plague victim's face with all of them showing up.

"How many casualties in the engagement we just saw?" Roderick asked. "We can't afford too many this early on. It's a long way from here to Gienah — or Skye," he added with a nod to Jasek, surreptitiously adjusting his jacket at the same time. Still not comfortable with a general's uniform; or, most likely, the insignia of the Tenth Lyran Guards on his shoulderboards.

"Fifteen." Regis' eyes flicked down to her noteputer for an instant. "Four dead, three wounded badly enough they'll likely rate medical discharge; the rest light wounds. As for casualties in general," she shrugged, "They're running about what we expected from the pre-assault planning, just disposed differently; more infantry losses, less in other arms. Fighting our way into the cavern-cities was cheaper than we thought; getting through them's proving harder. I admit I'm not happy about taking this many infantry casualties this early, though. Not to mention, where are the rest of the Crusaders?"

Jasek caught himself nodding along with Roderick at that. Neither of them knew Regis very well; she hadn't been first in line for the command of the Twenty-sixth, that had been Tammy Diaz, an old colleague. But Tammy had been badly injured in a Wolf bombing raid on the Nagelring, and had to retire from active service. So far, at least, Regis was showing she could do the job, and that was a good question to ask.

"Star Captain," Jasek addressed the fourth officer standing around the holotank, "Do you have anything for us?"

"No," Star Captain Khora shook his head. "We have taken bondsmen, but they did not know much. Just that Star Colonel Castus is preparing something deeper within the caverns." The dark-skinned Exile officer frowned for a moment. "Were I to guess — and I have always been lucky in games of chance," he commented with a roguish grin, "Castus is expending his conventional infantry to buy time to establish a redoubt deep within the cavern systems, force us to dig him out."

All of them knew what that meant; either a  drawn out siege, or a grinding assault that, even in victory, was going to render their units combat ineffective. And that assumes we know where they are. The thought of what the Crusaders could do to units strung out searching all of Gallery's tunnels and caverns for them made Jasek shudder.

"Generals!" One of the staff officers manning consoles called, the situation map shifting even as they spoke. "Combat Command Charlie reports contact with friendly forces in Dalkeith cavern!"

The holotank shifted again, to the static-fuzzed pseudocolour of immediate battlefield imagery; direct feed from one of the Twenty-sixth's gun cameras. The newcomers — what looked like a ragged battalion, led by a limping Thunder Hawk — couldn't have had more than a bare dozen tons of armour left between them, and they looked like absolute hell. Most had grey plating mottling them from slapped-on armour patches, limping, broken treads or lift skirts slapping against the ground, smoke coming from too many engines. But they were still in ordered formations, the badges of their regiments still intact.

A comms feed from the survivors came through on the main tank, revealing the interior of a mobile HQ. Centred in the camera was a woman, one Jasek vaguely recalled from the staff meetings barely half a year ago. Older, grey-haired, wearing Donegal Guards recog flashes and a Kommandant's shoulderboards. The bandage over one eye was new though, definitely. Her haggard expression evaporated as the image cleared, and she snapped off a textbook perfect salute. "Generals. My God but it's good to see you. I — Hauptmann-Kommandant Katrin Voll, Eighth Donegal Guards and acting CO Gallery defence command, reporting."

"At ease," Jasek allowed himself a smile. "It's good to see you as well, Colonel Voll, and it's not just for a raid this time. The Commonwealth's back here to stay. Now, what do you need from us?"

Voll's eyes widened slightly at the abrupt promotion, but she concentrated on the practical. "Medics, repair teams, any spare parts you have. Ammo, we've got, but we've been robbing Peter to pay Paul for weeks on everything else."

"I'll get on that right away. Stand by," Regis said, stepping away from the holotank, calling for officers from the Twenty-sixth's B Echelon.

"We need information from you, Colonel," Roderick spoke up, leaning forward slightly. "Anything you have on just where the Crusaders've holed up."

"Um," Voll frowned, exhaustion clearly taxing her efforts to recall. "McMurdo Cavern, we think. That's definitely where they were concentrating, and it's the best place I can think of for the kind of defence they'd run. If there's nothing else, sirs, then I need to see to my people."

"Of course, Colonel," Jasek nodded. "Just let us know if you need anything else in the way of support. And," he unbent slightly, lent his voice a softer tone, "Tell your people, from me and from the Archon-designate, that we're proud of them. They've done good service for the Commonwealth staying alive and active this long. They'll be honoured for it, and there'll be every chance they want to get some back from the Crusaders."

"Thank you, sir." Voll saluted again, before her image shimmered out of being.

"Tactical, bring up our maps of McMurdo Cavern, please," Jasek called. The holodisplay rippled and reformed, into a pure nightmare.

"Hell and damnation," Roderick cursed, and Jasek felt like agreeing with him.  McMurdo had been an industrial/processing and refinery cavern, before the mines that fed it had been played out in the days of the First Star League. Spoil heaps and long-dead factories and open-air machinery made it an defender's dream, creating an area of sensor shadows and ambush sites that an attacker could only grind their way through. And dozens of tunnels radiated outwards from it, like the tentacles of some deep-sea creature.

"We can't assault it. Not for any cost we could bear," Roderick continued, highlighting the tunnel dimension readouts. "It'd be a shooting gallery; couldn't use our numbers or any kind of cover. Hell, one reactor overload'd probably collapse the tunnel."

"And I don't think a siege is going to be a practical option either," Regis added, joining them. "To position blocking forces at each of these tunnels, and decent-sized reaction forces to support them — it'd take everything we have and then some. Especially with no way to use aerospace or artillery. Added to that, we don't know how much in the way of supplies they have, and there's the recyc systems to consider. McMurdo supported a mostly self-sufficient civilian population before the invasion; not a very big one, but big enough for the recyc systems to keep anyone going for a while." At Jasek's questioning look, she clarified; "I was stationed here when I did my staff rotation, in Supply." She frowned, studied the map for a moment. "Maybe we could drill out some of the tunnels, widen them or link some of the ones that run close together, open up enough frontage for a decent assault. There's heavy mining gear we could call up from Gibbs or Donegal that should do, surely."

"You know, if we had more time that might just work," Roderick commented thoughtfully, cutting off what Jasek had intended as a caustic rejoinder. "But we don't have the time. The closest boring engines we've got that could cut through Gallerian rock reliably or safely are on Hesperus, and have you seen them at work, Sarah?" That got a shake of the head, and Roderick continued. "Well, I have. Their top speed's about fifty centimeters a day, and we couldn't run them at that without probably collapsing the tunnels we're trying to widen."

"That's it," Jasek snapped his fingers, a solution clicking into place. "We collapse the tunnels — completely, or at least enough that the Crusaders can't dig themselves out any time soon, leave them to starve. We've got the engineers to get it done, and fast."

Studying the reactions was interesting; Roderick contemplative, Khora mildly shocked, and Regis looking somewhere close to mutiny.

The Exile officer spoke first. "Bloodnames of the Founders, that," Khora observed with forced calm, "is a cold way to kill."

"It'll do what we need doing, though." Roderick, ever concerned with practicalities above all else. "End this in days rather than months, and at a cost we can afford to pay."

"McMurdo was never fully evacuated." Regis's voice dropped to a rime-laden whisper that Jasek almost had to strain to hear accurately. "There are going to be hundreds of our people down there. Do you have any idea of the consequences of what you're suggesting?"

"Yes, Sarah, I do." Jasek very pointedly did not snap, or raise his voice. This wasn't a time for theatrics. "I've seen the Falcons and Liaos both use starvation as a weapon, I know precisely what I am ordering. I also know that we don't have the time to do this any way that won't kill most of those people anyway. If you have any better suggestions, by all means, share them."

"We challenge him." Regis's expression shifted to a determined, focused cast. "Single combat, anyone you want to put forward; we win, he clears out. Hell, I'll take on Castus personally. Just give me time to get my Battlemaster bombed up and for Star Captain Khora to convey the challenge."

"It would not work," Khora sighed. "Castus undoubtedly has orders forbidding him from accepting any such challenge, and in any case, we know his orders are to delay us. We could not offer isorla weighty enough to convince him to disregard them."

Roderick exchanged a quick look with Jasek — getting a nod of permission to reveal close-held information — before carrying on. "There are political concerns, as well, beyond the ones we've already covered," he explained. "This has to be a joint advance; us and the Arcadians, hand in hand. If we stay level, even pull ahead of them some, that's fine; but if we start lagging, if it looks like we need the Arcadians to achieve anything, that's going to cause problems. Widmer, for a start."

"What does the Margrave of Timbuktu have to do with this?" Regis asked, frowning heavily.

"He's been making secessionist noises." Jasek kept his voice low; enough to carry across the holotank, but no further. This wasn't for the staff — a discrete distance from their commanders — to hear. "Deniably, so far — and even quieter since his friend Vedet got thrown out — but there's evidence he's been stacking the Second Buena Guards' officers with his creatures. If Widmer thinks the LCAF won't, or can't, put him down at need, it'll be Bendler and the Sappir Archonette — so-called — in '27 all over again."

"I see." Regis's expression blanked, turning inwards and shrouding her feelings in a commendable display of self-mastery. "Thank you for that information, Generals. It does … clarify why you feel this course of action is necessary, and I will, of course, comply with lawful orders. However," a waspish edge overlayed the cold formality in her voice, "I am obliged to record, for the General Staff and in the Twenty-sixth's operational diaries, that I do so under protest, in this case."

"That is, of course, your prerogative, General," Jasek responded in the same coldly formal tones. Well, if I can't manage a warm working relationship, I'll take professional.

"We could make the challenge, at least," said Roderick. "We set the charges, then we make it clear to Castus that either he agrees to quitting Gallery if we win a Trial, or we bury him. God knows I'd feel better for at least trying."

"And what are we supposed to offer them to get this Trial? Because we can't leave them on Gallery, you know that as well as I dot," Jasek pointed out.

"I don't know." Frustration edged Roderick's voice. "Equipment, maybe; we've enough in the salvage yards that was never properly inventoried after the Jihad. Maybe one of us, if we stand champion in this duel; the Wolves've always gone for that."

"And if they refuse, we blow the tunnels," Jasek stated flatly. "Immediately. And I'm counting as refusal their trying to spin any haggling over terms out, or asking for what they know we can't give. I understand the desire to preserve civilian lives, we have to make it clear the Wolves can't expect us to balk if they hide behind human shields."

"In that case, General Kelswa-Steiner, with your leave, I need to get with my engineering staff and figure out how we're going to do this." Barely waiting for a dismissal, Regis turned on her heel and walked away, calling for her staff engineer.

Jasek looked after her for a moment, and everything that went into his makeup prevented him from calling after her, as he wished to, What else would you have me do?
« Last Edit: 18 March 2024, 19:44:40 by Steve »

Steve

• Master Sergeant
So to be honest, I'm changing something in this chapter just posted, edits will be up tomorrow after co-author does some extra checking.

The next chapter's basically done too, so expect that soon.

Steve

• Master Sergeant
Chapter 17 — Cornered Wolves

Getman Amphitheater
Getman, Lansky Continent, Chukchi
Wolf Empire
9 August 3143

Alaric entered the amphitheater like a predator.  His steps were fierce and determined, his gaze hungry, and his mouth curled into an intent expression that was not quite a snarl.  This did not reflect his internal state of mind but was a carefully-arranged presentation.  His fellow Wolves had to see he was hungry, he was ready to fight, and be suitably impressed, cowed, or both.  His eyes scanned the room and noted with approval that some of the others had indeed noted his efforts.  He hoped it would sway them.

He knew nothing could sway the glowering figure on the podium.  A lectern had been hastily decorated with a Clan Wolf flag sat in the middle, and there stood Liam Ward. As Loremaster he would direct the Council, as they had no Khan at present, though they had enough of the Clan's Bloodnamed to form a quorum for the Council given the majority of the frontline galaxies were present.

It used to be easier.  Before Gray Monday, HPGs would allow for a real-time attendance of the entire Clan Council across Clan Wolf's holdings.  Now, it was much harder to manage these things, not without altering the Clan's very way of life by removing Bloodnamed warriors from their frontline commands. Alaric had heard the suggestion mooted with approval, in hushed remarks and "jokes" by younger warriors. After all, they had Bloodnames, let them govern the Clan and give more billets for younger, better warriors to earn glory and their own Bloodnames.  But none had dared to call for it publicly.  Not yet anyway.

Warriors were still filing in when Liam brought the microphone towards his mouth.  "Before we begin, trothkin, we must ensure only voting members of the Council are in attendance.  I see at least one Unblooded warrior present." His eyes focused squarely on Alaric.

Alaric rose.  "Loremaster, I am the commander of Beta Galaxy.  While I cannot vote, the Council will undoubtedly wish my presence for planning our defensive strategy."

"And when it is ready to ask anything of you, Galaxy Commander, you will be summoned.  Until then, you have no place here."  Liam grinned.  "Besides, your position is highly irregular as it is. Galaxy command rightly goes to Bloodnamed warriors, and perhaps we should return to that honored practice."

Alaric didn't rise to the bait.  "I earned my position as a warrior, through Trials.  Like any other warrior. Though we had little regard for one another, even Seth Ward recognized my talents in that way."

"And now he is dead."  Liam gripped the lectern and leaned in.

"So he is.  That means a Bloodright trial must be held."

"It will be.  Until then, you should leave.  If we summon you back, I will see to it that it will be to discuss the methods by which you extracted the offer of hegira from the defenders of Tharkad."

Alaric's nostrils flared, and it was not all for show. The insult rang in his heart.  "Loremaster, if I were not too busy training for my forthcoming Bloodright Trial, I would call you to a Circle of Equals this very moment."

"Perhaps you should spend more time seeing to your command than preparing for a Trial you may not have earned."  Liam sneered.  "Indeed, had you spent more time preparing your warriors for battle, Tharkad may have fallen, and our Khan may have lived."

Alaric returned the sneer.  "The warriors of Beta Galaxy are proud of their performance on Tharkad.  Our codexes proudly display our victories, the most of any frontline galaxy.  Together with Alpha Galaxy we blooded the best of the Arcadian, Lyran, and Davion troops, and made them regret their pursuit."

"The fact you had to combat pursuit shows what I mean!  You were defeated, Galaxy Commander Alaric." Ward gripped the lectern tightly.  The banter was clearly over.  "You have no place here, and you never will.  The Ward Bloodhouse does not reward failure!"

By all rights Alaric had more than enough grounds to demand a Circle of Equals.  Better to bait the trap yet further.  "The Ward Bloodhouse seeks the best warriors for its Bloodrights, and my codex is a list of great victories in battle.  I have bested many of the finest MechWarriors in the Inner Sphere.  I claimed Anastasia Kerensky as a bondswoman.  Tell me, Loremaster Ward, that I would not strengthen our Bloodhouse and entire Clan with my genes."

At that point, he imagined Liam would back down or at least change his tactics.  The moment Liam's face paled with rage, he knew he'd provoked him.  "You are a chalcas fraud unworthy of your rank!" Liam thundered.  "Your entire career has been from the influence of that ancient solahma that Vlad Ward burdened the Wolves with!  On Tharkad you used dezgra methods to extract a hegira you did not earn, and I will not see you elevated further in the Clan!  I will see to it that any member of the Ward Bloodhouse who nominates you for that Bloodright faces a challenge!"

And there. Alaric had more than ample justification to fight Liam here and now, and he fully intended that Liam would not be alive when the fight ended.  But before he could bellow his challenge, the voice of Elise Ward rang out.  "Alaric Wolf has my nomination, Loremaster, and if you wish we can go to our 'Mechs now."

All eyes turned to the commander of Gamma Galaxy.  Alaric fought to keep the surprise from his face, but knew some showed.

"Galaxy Commander."  Liam's voice betrayed his own shock.  "You cannot mean to nominate Alaric for such a prestigious Bloodright?!"

"Why not?  He is correct.  His codex sings with victories far more than it laments defeats.  He killed Thaddeus Marik.  Julian Davion and Nathaniel Steiner fell to him.  Anastasia Kerensky, a warrior whose genealogy is rich with strength and power, is his bondswoman after his victory over her.  He is worthy of a shot at a Bloodname. That is the Way of Kerensky, is it not?"

"But he is chalcas!  A base intriguer and manipulator—!"

Elise laughed.  "He will fit well with the Council then.  Intrigue and manipulation are but weapons in a Bloodnamed warrior's armory, quiaff? Unless said warrior chooses not to bid into the battle of politics, at least."

Alaric glanced back to Liam and was rewarded with the sight of a man stuck between apoplectic fury and complete shock.  Neither of us imagined Elise would come to my support, did we?

"I regard this as a matter for the Ward Bloodhouse more than the Clan Council," Elise continued, "and wish to begin speaking on more urgent matters.  Unless, of course, you wish to challenge me on Alaric's nomination, Loremaster?"

A few seconds passed, each undoubtedly devoted to considering his response. Finally Liam spoke.  "Yes, we shall discuss the nominations for the forthcoming Bloodright Trials amongst the Wards.  Let us move on to our business.  The enemy has reclaimed Thuban and Gallery and will undoubtedly advance soon.  We will now consider our defensive strategy."

He will yet cause trouble, Alaric thought to himself.  But at least this hurdle is past.  As the Council regarded the defenses, Alaric waited to present his plan.  Garner Kerensky was said to be en route with reinforcements drawn from the new galaxies Alaric had helped form, galaxies meant for a plunge towards Terra when Tharkad's fall had seemed so likely.  Now they would replace the losses taken in that failed invasion and, hopefully, provide a means to resist the onslaught building int he heart of Lyran space.

Alaric spared Elise another glance.  She did not reciprocate.  She is being prudent. We are not allies, will never be allies, but she understands better than Liam the threat our Clan faces, and our need for unity.  She will turn on me just as readily if I threaten that.

Perhaps that will make her my enemy one day, but not right now.  The future of the Clan, our Empire, and my ambitions lie in the balance.  But there is a route to victory, I am sure of it.  The enemy's leadership is weak.  If we bite hard enough, it will make them reconsider their pledge to destroy us.  I must see this brought about, or everything I strive for will be lost.

Arc-Royal

The sun of Arc-Royal was already over the horizon and shining through the blinds when Eva stirred.  The haze of sleep gave way to the shifting of weight on her bed, and the sensation of warmth now pulling away from her.  She opened her eyes to the sight of a foam pillow still containing the impression from the head no longer laid upon it.  "Mmmm?"

"Marissa, you woke her."  From beyond the foot of the bed, Dominic was already partly dressed, though he had yet to cover what was to Eva the appealing sight of his muscled chest and arms.  Beside him, Rachel finished zipping her jumpsuit up, though her hair was still a disheveled mess.

Eva followed Rachel's eyes to where Marissa leaned over by the bed, picking up a discarded piece of clothing that she began slipping on.  It was, like Dominic, an appealing sight, which brought to Eva's mind fresh memories of even more appealing moments.  Marissa smiled wolfishly at Rachel and then Eva.  "Ah, well, it will keep her from sleeping in.  Liaison duty is lax enough, we would not want her to get so used to avoiding morning call that she loses her edge, quineg?"

"Way to rub it in," Eva muttered through her smile.  She briefly thought about remarking about what else Marissa had rubbed, and how much she'd enjoyed it, but held back.

"Aff, Marissa knows how to rub many things," Rachel teased while working her hair into a band.  "Now if only we could get her to not worry about contractions so much."

Eva snickered at the remark.  Right.  They don't have quite the same awkwardness we get about ribald jokes.

"It would seem I have much to learn, however, from the Arcadians' warriors," Marissa said.  "For a Spheroid Eva is quite good at coupling.  Very experienced."

Eva grinned and sat up.  She was the only one in the room unclothed at the moment, and fully intended to take her morning shower before dealing with that matter.  "And if my instructors at the Nagelring had found out how much experience I was getting, I would have been issued so many demerits for conduct I'd have been lucky to get a posting with the Dragoons.  And if you are worried about my edge, I've already booked field time in my 'Mech today.  I don't want to spend all my time smiling for holocams and shaking hands."

"Are you inviting us to a training duel?" Rachel asked, grinning.  "We would not want to embarrass you."

"I am keeping sharp, no worries there.  I'll be going back to the Sunhawks at some point, after all, and they will have expectations."

In unison, the codex bracelets worn by all three Wolf warriors lit up with red light.  A second passed before the smiles melted from their faces.  Eva glanced to her identity bracelet which had also lit up with red.  "Not good?" she asked.

"It is a general alert," Dominic said.  "Arc-Royal is under attack."

Old Connaught

Evan Kell stood at the main holotank in Defence Command, and beheld a situation that seemed born from his darkest nightmares.

Nestling in the lee of Thorwatch like a curse, more than a score of JumpShips — more flickering out of hyperspace even as he watched, at precisely staggered intervals — were already shedding DropShips. Fighters and NL-45 gunships swarmed off carrier decks, forming into a broad protective array around the vulnerable transports. And every icon burned the hateful jade of the Falcons. At least a Galaxy, his mind supplied, as type IDs flashed up on the tank's light-codes, probably more.

But that wasn't the worst of it, not by a long shot.

The worst hung between Arc-Royal and the Falcon JumpShips, the identifier CJF BC-01 stark beside it on the tank. Turkina's Pride. Battlecruiser, Cameron class, born in the waning days of the first Star League. Almost unbelievably ancient, armed with a weapons array that could immolate cities in minutes. Its very presence a lethal threat.

Evan forced himself to calm, closing his eyes for a moment and listening to the chatter of reports and open comms from the orbital forces.

"Meridian and Sunrise Batteries report twenty minutes to manned and ready status. Dusk Battery reports thirty minutes …"

"Thirty-second Interceptor Binary in the air, boosting for orbit in ten …"

"Voice of the Seraph here. Orbital guard squadron forming up for an attack run on that battle cruiser …"

"Battlestations Perseus and Andromache out of position, checking orbital angles …"

He opened his eyes again as Andromeda Brahe — in full cooling suit, neurohelmet tucked under one arm — and Commodore von Hammer joined him at the tank, their expressions mirrors of his own grim mien. "Status?"

"We got lucky, ground forces wise." Andromeda assayed a smile before continuing. "The One-Second Hounds and First Wolf Legion were running a counter-invasion exercise, so they're already in position. I've got reload teams with live ordnance en route to them now. And the alert came down mid-pay parade, so all the rest of our people are present and accounted for." Evan nodded. That was the most he'd been expecting to deal with for the next few days; the usual array of post-payday complaints from the military and civil police, and Old Connaught's Chamber of Commerce. Guess this'll teach me not to wish for more interesting work. "SaKhan Shaw has the First Strike Grenadiers and Thirteenth Wolf Guards mobilizing at Wolf City. She's also activated and armed the older mechwarrior and Elemental sibkos."

That drew a collective wince. It was logical enough — the Falcons wouldn't spare the sibko barracks their fury — and gave Arc-Royal's defenders the equivalent of another three Clusters of troops, but throwing sibbies up against Falcon veterans was going to cost. Heavily.

"Aerospace is not so good," von Hammer said, maintaining his eternal calm, level tone. "Without the battlestations' firepower, we can't stop that battle cruiser short of nuclear weapons. Those we have are being brought up from the arsenal vaults, but our first strike is going to have to succeed. With the strength of their screening elements, we won't have enough left for a second." He paused, considering the holotank briefly. "As for contesting a landing, we can at least stop them dropping directly on Wolf City or Old Connaught, probably cost them troops on the way in. However, with the need to maintain strength for an anti ship strike, stopping them is unlikely."

"Aspect changes in primary targets," one of the sensor techs called. "Here they come!"

It was like watching a rockslide, slow inevitability transitioning to crushing speed as the Falcons burned in. Sapphire and steel icons worried at the Falcon formation's flanks, but not enough — not yet — to punch through the phalanxes of fighters and gunships.

As transmission lag dropped below a brace of seconds, the visage of Isaac Roshak appeared on the screen.  He was full-clad in Mongol black, of course, and wore the Falcon Khan's insignia with it. The blacks fitted him well, and it might even have been possible to call Roshak handsome, if not for the mocking cruelty writ plain on his face.  "Evan Kell," he sneered.  "Good, I need not wait for an underling to find you. I will be blunt; this is no batchall. All I require from you is to stand aside, as per our agreed upon truce."

"You got a lot of balls trying to claim the protection of a truce you're pissing all over," Evan snarled out. "Were you dropped on your head when you were decanted, boy?"

The muffled sniggers from the Defence Command staff didn't seem to affect Roshak any. "Ah, the famous Kell wit," he replied, not sounding amused at all. "In any case, I am not. My business is with the traitor Wolves, who were not included in that truce, and so cannot claim its protections."

"You must be dumber than advertised if you really think I'm going to just stand aside and let you butcher our allies," Evan snapped, determining to brazen it out.

"No, Colonel Kell, I expect you won't," Roshak's sneer intensified. "We will see how long your arrogance lasts when I burn Old Connaught to ash from orbit." With that, he cut the link.

"Well," Evan commented into the sudden silence, "it's good to know exactly where we stand. Release the First Legion from their deployments; get them moving back to Wolf City. Andromeda, once you've confirmed that's happening, get down to the transient barracks and hiring halls; get any units worth a damn ready for this fight. And someone get me Colonel Stefanidis!"

"We're trying," one of the staffers replied. "But he wasn't in his billet and we're still -"

"I don't care if he's balls-deep in the Andurien hiring agent, you get him here!" Evan roared.  "And make sure he brings his damn Black Box with him!"

BattleMech Hangar Iota
Wolf City

Her plans for the day meant Eva's 'Mech was already prepped and her cooling suit ready for her when she got to the hangar.  Marissa joined her and several other warriors on a technician-driven tram that drove them to the stalls.  Her Paladin stood out among the Clan designs, in one of the reserve overflow stalls employed by Marissa's assigned trinary.  Still have to decide on a name, she thought idly, a brief distraction from the very real issue.

A technician in Wolf insignia met her at the base of the gantry.  "Everything is ready," she said.  "I just finished swapping the missile bins, you'll be carrying live ammunition."

"Good," Eva said.  She looked back up at her machine, still colored in the sky blue and white of the Strikers.  The orange-and-yellow toned hawk on a yellow sun disc was prominent on each shoulder, and over the heart the crowned white hawk bearing a quill and a sword - her family's traditional insignia - now rested on a shield of bisected red and blue.  The Defiance V1200 Variable-Focus PPC mounted in the OmniPod space below was mirrored by twin SRM launchers, six-salvo ones, on the left side of the chest, while the sternum bore a Defiance P6M pulse laser.  A similar laser was mounted beside the hand pod on the left arm while the right arm had the larger Vickers-Armstrong Mk. 16 extended range laser.  Maybe I should have asked for a different loadout since I'm not fighting alongside a vintage AWS-8Q this time, but it'll do.

"It has been a challenge to keep your weapons prepared," the tech confided, taking a spot in the gantry cart to control the cage that would lift Eva to her hatch.  Eva stepped beside her and listened as the cart rose steadily.  "I had to hand-machine a focusing lens for the chest laser since it was not able to take one of our pulse laser lens.  But I promise you, everything checks out.  Fight well and come back alive, warrior."

"Thank you, and stay safe," she said as they reached the hatch.  She pulled it open and clambered in.  A twist of the wheel slid the hatch lock into place and she went to the typical procedure, working by rote in attaching the medical sensor wires to her suit's ports for them, hooking up the coolant lines, and attaching the neurohelmet.  Once she was strapped in, she pulled the lever to her left.  Inside her 'Mech's belly, hydrogen slush flooded into a sphere, magnetic fields activated, and a miniature star was born. The Paladin came to life around her.

After the initial startup, "Bitching Betty" issued its challenge.  "Provide checkphrase."

Most MechWarriors went with something simple.  The name of a favored childhood pet.  A lover. A beloved lost relative.  A word they liked.  She recalled her ancestor, Sir Alexander, admitted to her parents that he was more pretentious and typically went for flowery prose (which his wife Lady Raachel reportedly laughed at hearing).  Some just went with a default alphanumeric passcode they could remember.  She'd typically done that.

Timkovichi changed that.

"Be brave," she said to the computer, or rather, to herself, while in her head the Jade Hawk of Stephanie Chistu appeared as a phantom through her cockpit ferroglass, preparing to administer the kill shot.  "You're supposed to be dead anyway."

"Checkphrase confirmed.  Voiceprint recognized.  Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online.  All systems nominal."

A green light outside her cockpit told her the final gantry braces were retracted.  She gently set her 'Mech into a walk.  Light wand-wielding technicians waved her into line behind Marissa's new 'Mech, a Warhound from Eva's side of the Glass.  The line didn't come close to stopping.  They've been training for this kind of thing since they were adolescents, Eva reminded herself as she stepped out of the hangar.

In the distance, the first explosions were already hitting, and the drive trails of descending DropShips were visible in the air.  The fight was already beginning.  A voice with a Clanner accent spoke through her comms.  "Sunhawk-One, you are on sibko barracks protection detail with Star Commander Marissa."

"Sunhawk-One confirms," Eva replied.  She double-checked the road map on one of her displays and followed Marissa back towards the warriors' residential district.  The icy fear formed slender fingers on her heart.  She drew in a breath and banished it.  Be brave, you're already supposed to be deadBe brave…
« Last Edit: 19 March 2024, 03:43:53 by Steve »

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
Since the Interstellar hasn't entered the fight, I guess I need to bring their words here.

"I DEFY YOUR SWORDS AND SPEARS. I DEFY YOUR ATOMIC FIRE!"

"Your two centuries of bloody repression are up! TRUE LIBERATION IS AT HAND!" The Admiral continues, now free from her combat chair and gripping the railing around the tactical display, rooted in place by pure effort of will and magnetism as the deck shifts and bucks beneath her, breathing heavily, "Victory is at hand. Fight ruthlessly. Battle relentlessly! Bleed the oppressors until they throw radiators! No surrender"

Steve

• Master Sergeant
Co-author wanted to do a bit more, heh, had to edit.

Steve

• Master Sergeant
Chapter 18 — The Mongol Way

Turkina's Pride
Arc-Royal System, Donegal Province
Lyran Commonwealth
9 August 3143

The bridge of Turkina's Pride was quiet.

Isaac Roshak hadn't been sure what to expect when he took his place on the flagship's bridge, but the calm serenity and perfectly measured sounds of orders passing from Star Admiral Jaclyn Binetti to her subordinates and equally measured responses were not it. There was none of the chafing strength or constant challenging remarks he was used to among the warriors of the Ninth Talon, and it felt strange.

And yet, he considered, watching the vast holotank's interplay of icons and track markers, there is much to be said of the Naval Forces' ethic of war. To witness the crew of Turkina's Pride, almost three hundred warriors and techs working together as smoothly as the fingers of a single hand, and grasp the power embodied in that, and the warrior at the apex of it, was intoxicating.

And, though it was far more cold-blooded than he liked, Binetti's methodically arranged layered defence formation was working. Lyran and Traitor Wolf fighters and assault DropShips snapped and clawed at the formation's flanks, with pack tactics worthy of their namesake, but so far none had penetrated the screening groups around the vulnerable troop carriers. The first of those, burning ahead hard, were already in orbital drop positions or on their way to the ground.

"Deployment status," Isaac called out. It looked to be going well, but he couldn't read the holotank's notations well enough to be sure.

"First landing group is at eighty percent deployment, with acceptable losses from antiaircraft fire," one of his aides, seated at a repeater console, responded. "Fourth Dragoons and Eleventh Velites report contact with elements of the First Strike Grenadiers at the dezgra Wolves' main battle armour plant. They are pushing them back and should have the facility and worker barracks secure for stripping within the hour."

"Excellent." Isaac smiled despite himself. That was better than even their best estimates "And the Ninth Talon?"

"Advancing on the primary sibko barracks. They estimate contact with the defenders in minutes."

A feral snarl of satisfaction came from deep within Isaac Roshak's chest. He had learned well from the Chinggis Khan; to kill an enemy, you had to strike at the heart of them. The sibkos were that for the Warden Wolves; their past and future, coddled and protected because their death was the death of the Clan. And it would rob the Wardens of their discipline; drive them berserk with grief and rage. Thus, they will hurl themselves to destruction on our talons or in the fires of the Pride's guns, and the Kell Hounds with them. The loss - the utter annihilation - of their greatest defenders would break the Lyrans' morale beyond any repair, and so does victory flow into our hands, because we had the will to act.

His expression shifted unconsciously, to a smile like something out of the deep oceans, at the thought of the Lyran court's reaction to the news.

A sensor tech happened to glance in Roshak's direction at that moment. He paled, before hurriedly bending over his console; sure that nothing the Exiles could summon would be a fraction as terrifying as the Khan's expression.

Sibko Barracks, Wolf City

Strings of tracer fire reached up into the skies over Wolf City, and Eva found her mind filling in the clattering sound of autocannon fire as Marissa led the way towards the sibko barracks. And it's a good thing she is, Eva thought, finding streets she'd been able to navigate easily on foot much harder to keep track of in a BattleMech moving at full speed.

Overhead, a pair of interceptors flashed past, too low and too fast to tell much beyond their red-and-black Kell Hounds paint scheme. Corsairs, she thought; fast, viciously lethal dogfighters, the same on both sides of the Glass.

Assembled in the wide, open plaza in front of the sibko barracks, were a 'Mech lance and a pair of battlesuit Stars, clustering protectively around a group of transports being boarded by uniformed figures too small to be anywhere near to adulthood. A training unit, got to be, Eva thought, watching the way the 'Mechs moved; stiff and cautious, as though still unused to the speed and power of a real 'Mech rather than a simulator, not the easy confidence and surety of the veteran Wolf warriors she'd seen. At that, the 'Mechs themselves, the kind of eclectic mix you always got in academy units; Wolfhound, Gunsmith, Arctic Wolf and Horned Owl, ancient and modern, Clan and Inner Sphere built.

The Horned Owl stepped forward, aiming its forearm-mounted lasers in threat.

"Halt, and identify yourselves!" A young woman's voice, strident and tense; trying so hard to seem unafraid that she sounds terrified.

"Star Commander Marissa, of the First Legion." The cool, flat syllables spoke volumes about how unimpressed Marissa was. "I assume, pup, they still teach rank and unit insignia in the sibko, quiaff?"

"Kyra, be calm." A third voice; age-worn but still solid as a rock, cut across the channel, accompanying another 'Mech moving out of the barracks' attached hangars. And this one did move like a veteran was piloting it; Tundra Wolf, seventy-five tons and bristling with missile systems. "And you, Marissa, I thought I had taught you patience long ago. Do you need to step into the ring with me again as a reminder?"

"Neg, Pack Leader, I do not," Marissa laughed shortly. "Eva, allow me to introduce Pack Leader Idris, who taught me in my ill-spent youth."

She wasn't familiar with the name, but the voice was one of many she remembered,  barking orders during the sibkos' training exercises whenever Eva ran into them on the practice fields or in the mess, a voice she associated with a stern, yet kind, face of ebon skin framed by gray-white hair.  "Pack Leader," she said respectfully.

"Lieutenant," the older voice replied simply for acknowledgment.

Eva waited until Marissa slotted her into one of the perimeter positions.  She was flanked by a machine she initially took to be a Strider Hawk but which her Wolf-provided warbook tagged a Vulture, with a loadout similar to the machine she was more familiar with.  Fire support for the formation. She took the opportunity for a quick sip of water; just enough to cut through the gummy texture in her mouth at the thought of what was coming.

"Hurry up and wait" proved to have not much wait to it as the last of the sibbies - the eldest looking like they were fourteen, the youngest maybe ten or so - were chivvied aboard a collection of stripped down APCs, cargo trucks and civilian buses.  Even by her chronometer, which always seemed to move at ten seconds per minute, showed only seventy seconds passed before the first hostile blip showed on the tactical scanners.  Enemy 'Mechs were approaching, coming from the city's outskirts, carrying multiple squads of their battle armor troops with them.  She turned her machine in that direction and watched them stomp through one of the parks that provided recreational and physical exercise space, their black figures backed by the smoke arising from the rest of the city.

The Vulture's LRMs opened up. A moment later Eva's finger tensed.  A beam of sapphire light instantly formed, melting armor in white-hot globs from one of the winged forms.  Others came up behind it, fifteen in all.  Overstrength company, or a trinary.  We're not that outnumbered but that's counting the trainees.  She triggered her PPC, hoping to cause at least some damage despite the increased range reducing its penetrative effect, but that proved moot as her target evaded the shot.  A tree struck by the particle blast burst into flames.

The engagement began in full.  It was every bit the fight Eva expected.  Gauss-fired slugs and their sonic booms, the bright amber and emerald tracers of autocannon bursts, and the sapphire and azure light of laser and particle fire devastated buildings, roads, land, and BattleMechs.  With her heat well-managed Eva went weapons free with the VF PPC and her large laser, adding fire from her smaller lasers as the enemy drew close.  Her lasers and those of Marissa's Warhound flayed open the chest of a Jade Hawk before it could draw too close.  Alert lights on her machine warned of gradual loss of armor integrity from assorted missiles and autocannon shells that impacted on her 'Mech, but the Falcons' fire was not focused on her just yet.  They were concentrating on Marissa and her Star, as evidenced when a large Lyran-made Gotterdammerung in the Wolf colors collapsed under the barrage of an entire Star, its right leg cut cleanly through at the hip.  The pilot defiantly fired everything they had left until a Shrike - its very form sending a chill down Eva's spine - unloaded both autocannons into the cockpit and left crimson splashed over the ruined ferroglass.

The loss of the 'Mech briefly opened a hole in the formation and the Falcons took advantage, two of their winged machines maneuvering to fire on the transports behind Eva.  One of the smallest enemy machines, coming up as a Gyrfalcon on Eva's systems, darted close enough that she managed an SRM lock and fired.  Missiles pelted the short black 'Mech, and her lasers opened up its flank; its autocannon lashed back, and for a moment she thought they'd missed wide.

"Dezgra spawn of a Blakist!" Idris roared, and Eva realized why when, glancing back, she was greeted by the horror of flames flicking from the burnt-out husk of one of the buses.  She knew in her heart and soul that her nightmares would include the charred forms within for the rest of her life, if only because of their small size.  A cry of fury rose from her throat instinctively as her crosshairs spit once more over the murderous little Falcon machine, and this time she triggered everything.  Her heat warnings shrieked in alarm and the shutdown sequence would have commenced if not for her override.  Even as particle backwash briefly distorted her electronic displays, thermal scan told Eva what she'd felt the instant she hit the triggers; her last volley flew straight and sure, a lance of lasers, missiles and charged particles stabbing right into the Gyrfalcon's heart. White heat flared for an instant as engine shielding came apart in a mist of semi-molten shrapnel, then died as emergency failsafes smothered the star within.  As dead as the children it had just murdered, the Gyrfalcon began to slump forwards - and then every one of the Wolves turned their full fury against it, pouring out grief and rage and hate in a hurricane of weapons fire that dissolved the machine like an ice sculpture thrust into a blast furnace.

The defenders of the transports tightened, Marissa's Wolves howled over the comm lines, and the shooting intensified.  Another of Marissa's Star went down to concentrated enemy fire, but the trainee sibkos defiantly took the place of the fallen Wolf warrior; their battlesuit squads clashed with arriving Falcon Elementals in a savage, intense brawl that would have been the main event in most battlefields she'd seen, but here formed a sideshow to the 'Mech combat.  The Horned Owl threw itself before an exposed bus and paid for it, a blitz of gauss slugs coring it through laser-scourged armor; Eva saw the Gunsmith sprinting forward, pulse lasers blazing in challenge to the towering Onager responsible as a battlesuit team pulled the trainee Kyra clear, before combat drew her attention elsewhere.  That damned Shrike was too close for comfort, but that ensured her PPC was at optimal range for damage when she fired it.  Marissa's weapons joined her and the Falcon pilot went down, the winged machine's head a smoldering ruin from two pinpoint laser strikes.

Eva turned to other targets, took more fire and delivered reply in azure lightning and spears of sapphire and emerald light, joined by the contrails of SRMs whenever one drew close enough for a target lock.  Time was measured in salvos more than seconds, and after several of those had passed, the tactical situation brightened.  The Falcons had attacked too heavily, and the weight of the defenders' fire, reinforced by another Star from Marissa's assigned Trinary, now forced them back.  The surviving buses continued on, further and further from the Falcons with each second as the Wolves pressed the surviving Falcons backgradually broke off the fight.  It's not that easy, Eva thought while surveying her displays.  Armor's a bit scored but no penetrating hits, integrity's yellow or better… oh no.

More enemy 'Mechs, this time with extra battle armor, were coming up.  More to the point, another two Stars worth of Falcons were maneuvering through the adjacent district. They'd have a clean shot at the transports, with only the trainees and the old veteran Pack Leader to protect them.  They're out to slaughter them.  Children!  What do I do?  How can I…?

The realization came.  Fear followed, instinctive fear running in icewater through her blood, telling her she'd likely die.  She took in a breath.  You're supposed to be dead anyway.  Be brave.  "Marissa!  I'll get them!"  She pushed her 'Mech into a sprint, driving the Paladin past a hundred kph as she darted around a barracks residence gutted by the fighting.

"Eva!  What are you doing?!"

"What needs to be done," Eva said in a voice that shook only in her own mind, before switching to an open frequency.  She thought of every bit of Clanner vocabulary she could remember before shouting into the mike.  "Hey!  Plucked Mongols!  I'm talking to you!  I'm Dame Eva Penton-Vallejo, I beat your bloodfoul Chinghis Khan and left her a crippled chunk of flesh!  Any of you dezgra surat shit-for-brains want to take me on, come and try!  I'm a worthier target than helpless sibko brats, or is that all you're good at shooting at, chalcas genetrash?!"

Eva wasn't sure how well it'd worked at first.  Not until her systems shrieked warning of multiple weapon locks.  She turned away from the transports, took a potshot at the lead Falcon 'Mech with the laser on her right arm, and pushed her Paladin into another run.

Not all of the Falcons followed, but at least a Star took off in pursuit, whether from her insults or just who she was, Eva would never know.  Missiles, gauss slugs, laser beams and PPC shots, all descended around her, and her return fire was hardly enough to deter the pursuit.  She twisted, turned, used every building she could for cover, and the Falcons left rubble in her wake from their efforts to hit her.  LRMs rained down and blasted chunks of armor from her machine wherever they successfully struck.  A PPC blast scourged the left shoulder of her 'Mech, and a Gauss slug claimed most of the armor over the right hip.  Another Gyrfalcon got close enough to pepper her with laser shots before it took a PPC blast, which at this range was every bit as lethal as a Clan or Royal-grade ER PPC, leaving a hole in the machine's armor that her SRMs brutally exploited. The machine spewed smoke and flame before collapsing, unable to fire again.

Fire came from everywhere, not all at her.  She pushed her 'Mech threw another group of Falcons, ones busy fighting a unit of Wolf-crewed tanks and 'Mechs. She took an opportunistic shot into the rear of a Falcon Jade Hawk that blasted through weak rear armor and partly damaged the engine, saving a reversing Demolisher in the process.  The tank crew rewarded her by turning their turret slightly and unloading a full heavy autocannon burst into one of her pursuers, tearing the Eyrie's entire right flank apart.  More weapons locks shrieked and fell away as she darted around another set of smoldering buildings and made for what passed for safety: the DropPort ahead.  A DropPort that was outside of the Wolf enclave border, and supposedly, one the Falcons had said they would not cross. Eva wasn't so sure of that, but given her growing battle damage, it would be welcome to get out of the shooting, and she'd hopefully bought Marissa and her comrades the space needed to get the rest of the sibbies clear.

To make sure of that, and keep the pursuit going at least a bit longer, she turned to face her pursuers.  She fired everything as quickly as she could without putting her machine straight over the shutdown line, a furious volley that mostly struck the evacuated buildings but beneficially tore the arm off a Jade Hawk trying to close the distance.  Her original pursuers were down to just two, but the signatures behind told her that other Falcons had joined them.  Keep going.  Get over the border, dare them to cross, get repair if you can.  She felt her 'Mech shudder as another gauss slug smashed into it, splitting through armor and tearing open one of her SRM launchers.  She fired her laser at the offending machine, scored more armor from it, and continued her flight.  The cargo rail line to the DropPort led straight for the cargo terminals and the transport hangars.

Her Paladin shook once more, a tremor from the force of a PPC blast that blew through her rear armor and blasted open a heat sink.  A glance at her scanners gave her confirmation: the Falcons had crossed the enclave frontier.  They were not giving up their pursuit.  Get to the DropPads, maybe a ship there will be armed and combat ready, I can get some fire support.  Just need to buy time!  She fought to keep the Paladin up, managing it with difficulty as an LRM salvo descended.  She felt the 'Mech's weight balance shift as armor was blown clear by the missile warheads breaking the plate, compromised as it was.  She passed by a tarp-covered form, a LoaderMech, and adjacent shipping containers.  I hope the workers evacuated.

Her systems screamed warning and her 'Mech's right leg froze up.  Shit!  Laser hit on the hip actuator!  This time she couldn't quite keep the 'Mech standing, though she managed to prevent a complete fall by tipping it into the ferrocrete structure opposite the inactive LoaderMech.  She turned, extended her right arm, and fired the limb's laser at the onrushing Falcon 'mech responsible for her damage.  The shot struck armor and not much else; it was going to get another clean shot at her, and with all the damage Eva knew she was in trouble.

"'Mech power-up detected," the soft voice of the battle-computer echoed in her ears, and Eva turned to the icon on her displays. For a moment, as the tarpaulin was hauled away, she thought that — in an act of suicidal, desperate courage — the dockworkers were bringing their giant LoaderMechs into the fight.  "Get clear!" she shouted into her mike.  "You can't—"

The tarp fell clear.  Eva gasped in instinctive surprise at what was, patently, not a LoaderMech. Not a LoaderMech at all.

It was huge. Not huge in the way a DropShip was, built at a scale the human mind couldn't easily encompass; the triple-legged thing was built at BattleMech scale, but bigger; Eva glanced at the mass estimate readout. A hundred and thirty-five tons? Her mind screamed at her a half-remembered detail in her memories, but her instinctive thoughts came first.  That can't be right. It looked almost demonic; night-black, limbs and squat, disc-like body wreathed in paintings of fire and bone, exemplified by the laughing, flame-wrapped death's-head encompassing the cockpit.

Her machine's warbook couldn't identify it either, but it was showing up something similar. A prototype, from a decade ago. Poseidon PSD-V2. Class: Superheavy. Not the same, but maybe a relative.

But… that was supposed to be a Republic design, her memory cried out.  How did it…?

Her systems flagged the behemoth in blue on her HUD display.  The IFF code was reading "Friendly".  It proved unnecessary as the machine made its allegiance clear in a stupendous display of firepower.  The Falcon 'Mech aiming at her died in seconds, coming apart under the hammer blows of twin heavy particle cannon and a tidal wave of Streak-guided armour-cracking short range missiles.

"'Mech power-up detected," her machine said once more, and a short distance away, a sibling of the monster 'Mech arose from under a tarp; similar black-and-bone colour scheme but without flames, its weapon armatures a clawed manipulator arm and a massive gauss rifle assembly.  Yet more blue indicators came alive on her proximity sensors, reflecting multiple startups of 'Mechs, fusion-powered vehicles, and battle armor suits.

"Dame Evangeline, a shame to meet you again in these circumstances."  The voice that came over the comm-link scratched at her mind with familiarity.  It was someone she'd briefly met on Timkovichi, one of the many there who'd congratulated her on beating Chistu.  She tried to recall the name, but it proved unnecessary.  "Brigadier Huyten here, Republic Armed Forces.  Fall back through the cargo terminals, we've got an MFB deployed and ready on the other side and you'll want to be in your best for when more Falcons turn up. The Ares can hold things going here."

"Acknowledged," she answered, not quite believing what she was seeing as the two superheavy Ares 'Mechs and their arriving supports started unleashing Hell itself on her pursuers.  Huyten's OmniMech was among them, though it took her a moment to recognise it; the Doloire wasn't wearing the Lucky Stars' midnight blue with swatches of stars across shoulders and lower limbs anymore. Now, it wore gold-trimmed white, a new insignia emblazoned across one side of its torso. The Terran globe, wreathed in stars and wrapped around by twin scrolls; one bearing a motto, Ad Securitas, Per Unitas. The other proclaiming allegiance to anyone who looked at it.

Republic of the Sphere.

More hostile-coding icons reminded her that this wasn't over by a long shot.  Better fall back and get some field repairs, because this fight isn't over.

Old Connaught

The live feed from Brigadier Huyten's people confirmed the initial reports. Evan considered it, taking the opportunity to shoot a nasty glare at Major Aria Sanderlin, in full Republic uniform and with two Kell Hounds infanteers standing close by. Not under arrest - not quite - but not at liberty either. That led to another sharp look at the verigraph laid out on a nearby console. That was the kind of complication that he did not need right now. Still, there was no question of its legality; the thumbprint accompanying In my name, and by my command, Jonah Levin, Exarch was enough for that. Next time I see Huyten, I'm either going to congratulate him for his balls, or boot him squarely in them. Maybe both.

"We have anything yet?" Evan asked Stefanidis. The Arcadian shook his head, continuing to watch the Black Box's inactive printer. ****** Blackout.

"Colonel Brahe's moving towards the enclave."  Nadia Allard glanced up; with Brahe in the field, Nadia was now running things at his side.  Evan fervently wished he was out there too and Martin was in here having to make these calls.  "The Hounds will join Huyten and engage on your order."

"Neg."  The voice of saKhan Shaw had slight electronic distortion, more from the interference of the Falcons' attacks on Wolf communications than usual electronics difficulty.  She shook her head fiercely.  "It is the excuse Roshak is waiting for.  He will annihilate Old Connaught and many other cities, that I am sure of."

"******, Miriam, we both know the lying bastard's going to come after us as soon as he's finished with you," Evan snapped.  "Far as I'm concerned, we're in this either way, and I'm sure as hell not gonna leave you out to dry."

"You must do as honour dictates, of course, my friend."  Shaw's expression softened a little, almost smiling.  "And I know better than to try and stop you. But my warriors and I can handle the Falcons. If you must get involved, then look to our civilians and sibkos. Even if we fall, their survival means the Clan can rebuild. We have done so before. And now," she finished, glancing at something off-screen, "I must go. I am about to become quite busy, I think."

"Dammit, Miriam, don't do anything stupid," Evan protested, but Shaw had evidently muted the line and was already turning her attention to other matters.  A nod at a comm-tech returned her to a small corner icon on his holotank, bringing his view back to the map of the enclave and its surroundings.  "Put that bastard Roshak on," he ground out, in a tone that could've chewed through 'Mech armour.  He glanced towards Stefanidis and tried to will that damn black box to come alive, but it did not answer that silent demand.

More than a minute passed before the likeness of Roshak once more loomed on the holotank.  Evan didn't give the bastard a chance to speak.  "Your boys just crossed out of Wolf City, so. You got one last chance to get the hell off my world before I hit you with everything I've got."

Had he been dealing with another kind of Clanner, all sorts of excuses might have come.  Roshak merely sneered.  "I will deal with any warriors who overreached later, but for now, I have bandits to finish slaying.  You know the price of interference."

"Way I figure it, you're gonna try that anyway; I've got nothing to lose, boy," Evan shot back. "Besides which you know damn well that if you do, the Arcadians're gonna be after your head; and not even you're stupid enough to think you can take them."

"Will they?  They are fully engaged with the other Wolves, and we know their strength for this war is limited. Aff, we know much of how little strength they can direct at us, and that merely holding the anomaly is taking up one of their precious battleships.  I do not fear any strike by the Arcadians for some time, Kell.  And you and yours would be dead either way.  You have nothing that can truly stop my Pride and her guns.  Interfere and you will face them."  Roshak grinned.  "Though I may yet spare your curs if you were willing to give me suitable isorla.  Atocongo, perhaps, would be suitable.  Or Arc-Royal itself.  It will be ours at some point, anyway, but I may be persuaded to let your pets live as bondsmen…"

By that point a gentle whirring sound came from across the room, too low for Roshak to hear over the line.  Evan glanced through the holographic image of Roshak and to the table where Colonel Stefanidis was looking over a fresh printout. The Arcadian officer glanced Evan's way. There was a smile on his face when he nodded once.

Evan nodded back.  Roshak stopped mid-sentence, but before he could ask anything, Evan made the tradition throat-cutting gesture. The commtech promptly obeyed.  Stew on that, Roshak. What I'd give to be a fly on the wall of your command center…
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 13:57:03 by Steve »

Steve

• Master Sergeant
Turkina's Pride

Evan would have been sorely disappointed at the lack of fury from Isaac Roshak on being so abruptly ignored.

In truth, he'd already put the Kell Hounds from his mind, concentrating instead on the gun-camera footage coming in from the lead elements of the Ninth Talon.  The seconds of radio signal delay caused some occasional interruption, given the sheer amount of data being broadcast to and from the planetside troops, and all the incoming holo-images were shot through with the distortion common to battlefield imagery but there was clarity enough to see the facts.  New, unknown BattleMechs and battlesuit types, wearing the colors and insignia of the Republic, alongside others that he remembered from Stephanie Chistu's abortive strike on Timkovichi, as the mercenary "Lucky Stars". And not just any Republic troops, he thought, feeling a unfamiliar chilling flush — that, in another, Isaac would have called fear — at the two unknown giants ripping the Ninth's forward Stars apart, their very best; Stone's Brigade. Isaac forced down an instinctive this cannot be ruthlessly; it clearly was, and he had to deal with it.

So, there is a hidden way through their unbreakable shield, their 'Fortress Republic'. We must know it. Compared to that, even the presence of the Arcadian freebirth who claimed the kill on the Chinghis Khan, the one who had so narrowly avoided her rightful death at his hands on Timkovichi, was almost inconsequential.

Together, these facts made his course unalterable.

"Shift the Twelfth Talon and any elements of the Velites and Dragoons that can be spared to support the 9th," he ordered.  "I want captives from those Republic forces, and I will personally endorse the Bloodname nomination of the warrior to slay the freebirth who besmirched the Chinggis Khan."  The secret path through the Wall will be known to few, and difficult to extract. But the Watch is thorough, and Spheroids are weak-willed when put to the test.

"My Khan!  Emergence signatures at the solar L1 point!"

The announcement drew surprise from Isaac.  Who would use such a point?  Why?  "Show me!"

The Pride and her assorted escorts and supporting ships all shared networked camera drones and hull-mounted scanners.  Together these allowed for magnification just sufficient to show the distant patterns of ghostly blue fireflies heralding an incoming jump.

"Founders' blood," swore the sensor tech.  "This is the most massive signature I've ever seen."

Bursts of faint blue light gave way to multiple JumpShips and DropShips, not too different from those in Isaac's forces.  Within moments of the jump a number of the DropShips fell away, their fusion engines coming online.  But Isaac's attention was primarily on the mammoth form at the apex of the formation.  A number of smaller DropShips fell away from a WarShip of such obvious size it reminded Isaac of the hawk-bowed Arcadian WarShip he'd seen when burning away from Timkovichi.  The weapons mounts were even more plentiful.  This vessel was visibly larger than that Arcadian ship, so large he pondered that even the famed Leviathan of the Bears would not reach its size.

On its bow was no hawk, however, but rather, a silver-gray sheened wolf's head with the right eye socket closed under a visible scarline, its teeth curled into a ferocious snarl.

Others from beyond the anomaly!  Arcadians… no, the Sea Foxes' data was clear.  But if not them…?!

As the seconds became a minute, then two, Star Admiral Binetti's went to work preparing for a naval action.  The radio chatter grew in intensity and confusion as multiple signals were registered, and Binetti hotly demanded they be identified.  Isaac listened in quiet fury as channel after channel proved to be drowned out.  Over the speakers, there was the steady, ominous beating of war drums.

Salome Ward Kell Memorial DropPort
Old Connaught

Eva's battle-scarred Paladin now stood in the midst of mobile gantries and their affixed vehicles, with half a dozen figures swarming over the OmniMech.  She knew better than to openly call Huyten's MechTechs and insist on a status update; his people were clearly worth their money, and already her systems confirmed most of her ruined armor plate was at least patched, if not completely replaced with fresh slabs.  One Tech was busy buried into her 'Mech's chest installing a new heat sink and two more were on the light gantry platform fitting a bundle of myomer to her new hip actuator.  They'll have me ready to go soon, Eva reminded herself.  Then maybe I can get back to Marissa and her warriors.  I don't want to lose her… not like this.  She tried not to think of that all-too-likely prospect.

"We're almost done, Lieutenant."  She couldn't place the accent of the Techs' crew chief, but she was getting used to that.  "Watch your left side; no time to fully replace the armour there, so it's still gonna be weaker, call it two-thirds normal strength. The hip actuator we can't replace, but you got lucky, it was mostly the myomer connectors that took the hit, and we managed to get our connectors working.  Just don't push it too hard before you get a proper replacement from your stocks."

"Hopefully the Falcons will let me," she replied.  Almost there. Almost.

After several seconds Eva noted something was up with her comms.  While the tight-beam connections she had with the Republic forces' MFB and command network showed no issues, regular frequencies were going active one by one. Someone was transmitting on a broad range, drowning out most of the possible bands. Only those frequencies used by the Wolves and Kell Hounds were being spared.

"Lieutenant, Huyten here.  We've got new signatures in system, according to Kell Command, but why the hell are they blanketing all the comms?"

A suspicion arose in Eva's mind.  She held her finger over the scanner, jumping between frequencies, hearing a variety of choral chants and drum rhythms until a familiar drum beat and words reached her ears.  The words themselves were not in English, but she remembered what they meant as a rumbling, accented baritone voice had translated to a curious little girl fifteen years before.

Lo, there do I see my father.
Lo, there do I see my mother,
And my sisters, and my brothers.
Lo, there do I see the line of my people,
Back to the beginning—

Eva felt her heart soar in elation at what they meant.  "They made it!" she shouted.

"Who?" Huyten asked, or rather, demanded.

"It's the Einherjar!" she replied.  "Rasalhague's here!"
« Last Edit: 09 April 2024, 16:00:27 by Steve »

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
Finally.  Some good ****** communists.  :evil: We defy your swords, we defy your atomic fire!