Firefly Resculpt Mech
28 (10.8%)
Centurion Mech Scale Fighter
13 (5%)
Cuchulainn Battle Armor
21 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Voting closed: 25 December 2015, 15:34:06

Author Topic: Quarter 1 - 2016 Fan Finance 2.0 Poll  (Read 26771 times)

SteveUK

• Sergeant
Re: Quarter 1 - 2016 Fan Finance 2.0 Poll
« Reply #30 on: 24 December 2015, 11:05:51 »
I'm all for new mech mini's,  hence my vote, how many mechs are still to be sculpted, is there a list somewhere?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #31 on: 24 December 2015, 11:22:10 »
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Archer77

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: 24 December 2015, 12:53:46 »
Well I didn't nominate anything on the list, nor will I buy any but I see that many people hoped for a Dragoon and the Bakanoko (and I'm not basing this on the poll results) so I tossed in my votes for the simple reason that someday the Neanderthal may be nominated and I would be happy to see it produced, just as happy as those who will see the winners of this poll get produced.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 24 December 2015, 13:40:07 »
I'm trying to get stoked for the Dragoon. It really is a cool mech, with a nice niche in the BTU.
Just not wild about the style, but would like to continue doing orthos for Behrle. I think this is
one that will look better to me in miniature form.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #34 on: 24 December 2015, 13:44:15 »
I'm trying to get stoked for the Dragoon. It really is a cool mech, with a nice niche in the BTU.
Just not wild about the style, but would like to continue doing orthos for Behrle. I think this is
one that will look better to me in miniature form.

Wondering what the back will look like, since there's no (published) art for it.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #35 on: 24 December 2015, 15:50:06 »
Wondering what the back will look like, since there's no (published) art for it.

You know that was the very first thing that struck me with my first two minis; an Ostroc and an Imp. I couldn't fathom how the artists "knew" what the back looked like. lol.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 24 December 2015, 16:01:58 »
You know that was the very first thing that struck me with my first two minis; an Ostroc and an Imp. I couldn't fathom how the artists "knew" what the back looked like. lol.

Yeah. Do they get in contact with the original artist..?

I imagine the back would look like the LNC25-01, due to its production origins:

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #37 on: 24 December 2015, 17:16:59 »
I think that I will buy it, if there were more LoT miniatures out there, so that I could order an entire force in one go.

Well I always thought it looks like an ancestor to the Nova Cat, so I will assume that B3 will also reference that. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 24 December 2015, 17:20:00 »
Well I always thought it looks like an ancestor to the Nova Cat, so I will assume that B3 will also reference that.

Yeah. I'm really not worried. B-3 knocks it out with style.

I do wonder if there will be room for variants in the future, given the "OmniMech-like" nature of the design. Going to buy at LEAST a Lance of these, either way. :)

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 24 December 2015, 20:38:04 »
As long as there are so many designs in all timelines that haven't any sculpt, resculpts aren't that high on my priority. That said, i nevertheless like the Highlander, the Flashman is ok and Firefly, Hoplite, Annihilator, Imp or whatever would be worth to consider - new minis are still better. ;)
Just my two cent.

I think that's the heart of it. I agree that some sculpts are disproportionate or have bad molds, but imagine if your favorite unit had no mini. At all. I guarantee people would be pushing for a Blood Kite sculpt if that were the case :) It's not very fun to play a table top game against IWM's beautiful sculpts while you're fielding a pog with "Blood Kite" written in felt pen on one side.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #40 on: 24 December 2015, 21:24:47 »
I think that's the heart of it. I agree that some sculpts are disproportionate or have bad molds, but imagine if your favorite unit had no mini. At all. I guarantee people would be pushing for a Blood Kite sculpt if that were the case :) It's not very fun to play a table top game against IWM's beautiful sculpts while you're fielding a pog with "Blood Kite" written in felt pen on one side.

yeah...but what else were you going to use your pogs for?

Seriously though; I agree in principle, but at heart I feel that just so long as we have this program going; it's a net good for the game and the community. Frankly I could be happy if TPTB stopped releasing new designs after the XTROs and historicals and just spent a few years filling the gaps before continuing. I know this is now how most people feel though and that's fine.

What I tell myself is though, twofold; 1) Speck or someone would tell us if a super-popular suggestion happened to be on the release plans already and 2) Even FFing a more recent model we would have gotten otherwise eventually makes room on the schedule for something else; another newer model or an already-planned resculpt or filled-hole.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #41 on: 25 December 2015, 18:15:16 »
Glad to see the Dragoon get wide support after just missing out of the funding last round.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #42 on: 25 December 2015, 21:12:56 »
Even though I didn't vote for it, I'm eager to see what B-3 does with the Dragoon. If some of the variants get funded, I'll probably buy one or two for a non-canon scenario. Maybe my 3rd Taurian Lancers find a couple in a long forgot hidden Amaris depot. On a side note, I would have loved to see some new battle armor but I'm not too heart broken. There's always next poll.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 25 December 2015, 22:15:39 »
Woooohooooo!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #44 on: 26 December 2015, 04:49:34 »
On a side note, I would have loved to see some new battle armor but I'm not too heart broken. There's always next poll.

The Black Wolf came in 3rd. So no problem there ;)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #45 on: 26 December 2015, 05:57:02 »
The Black Wolf came in 3rd. So no problem there ;)

But in this Vote, 3rd place still wins you nothing.   :-\  Also, some designs that did well in the first Fan Funding Poll back in January didn't even make it ON this one, much less place.  If that is any indication, anything placed 3rd or 4th or even lower on this Poll might not even make the next one.

And once again, the Vote Results appear all whacked-out on my screen, like the last one did.  I have to cut & paste the results in order to make sense of them.    :-\  This is how they look to me: (With more space between the names and results, as well as between the 2 columns of results.)

Blood Kite Resculpt Mech                    21 (8.1%)          37 (14.3%)
Bakeneko Mech                                 29 (11.2%)        40 (15.4%)
Black Wolf Battle Armor                      27 (10.4%)        16 (6.2%)
Dragoon Mech                                   27 (10.4%)        28 (10.8%)
Ryoken III-XP Mech                           13 (5%)            21 (8.1%)
Ahab Mech Scale Fighter
Dervish Primitive Mech
Firefly Resculpt Mech
Centurion Mech Scale Fighter
Cuchulainn Battle Armor

I'm using Win 7 Pro Edition, with IE 9 (Version: 9.0.8112.16421; Update Version: 9.0.3 {KB2586448}), if that helps.  I'll have to try with my laptop, but I think it appears the same way.  The Vote Poll itself was lined up normally, it is just the results that are what look weird.   :-\   I'm thinking part of it is that the Internet in general doesn't like me, and my desktop PC in particular hates me.   #P
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #46 on: 26 December 2015, 06:50:26 »
But in this Vote, 3rd place still wins you nothing.   :-\ 

The top 2 or top 3 will get made, as per the guidelines topic. With a small BA in third place, I don't see why it wouldn't get made.

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 26 December 2015, 07:12:41 »
Quarter 1 - 2016 Fan Finance 2.0 Poll has 10 items to vote on, everyone has two votes and once you vote you can not change your vote. At the end of the poll, the top two will be open to have funding threads created.
Because of that. 
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #48 on: 26 December 2015, 07:26:11 »
And in the guideline topic he wrote:
Step 2: The poll will be created and open for one week and the top two or three from the poll will be able to have Funding threads created
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=44107.0

With three big 'Mechs I would assume only the first two get made. But with the third place being a very small BA that would require less funding and less time, I think we will see the third place as a mini

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 26 December 2015, 07:40:18 »
And in the guideline topic he wrote:http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=44107.0

With three big 'Mechs I would assume only the first two get made. But with the third place being a very small BA that would require less funding and less time, I think we will see the third place as a mini

Less funding, Probably.  Less time to create?  Doubtful.  Something that much smaller might even take More time to create a Master for.  I'd think they would, being smaller and more difficult to work on, but I know nothing about the process, so I can't really say.  While the Guidelines DO state: "the top two or three", the first post for THIS THREAD states: "At the end of the poll, the top two will be open to have funding threads created".  NOT the "top two or three", simply the Top TWO.  But hey, Speck is running the show, so he might even make it the Top 4, so who knows, right?   :D  I'm not trying to be the rainy cloud, just trying to keep people from getting their Hopes up, only to have them trashed.   :-\  If you expect the worst, then you're Pleasantly Surprised when things turn out better than you'd thought.   O0

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #50 on: 26 December 2015, 08:04:23 »
I'm not sure there is cause to be so negative about the 3rd place and later spots. Last year, we just did one poll and given; we didn't plan it that way, but those 6 results took up all year to do.

While we may do a fresh poll every quarter, it makes just as much sense IMO to take the top 6-8 results and dish them out as quarters 2-4 for 2016. I mean, it's not like this forum is run on advertising and TPTB need gimmicks to bring us back here as often as possible; the game does that already.

Until we hear more direct guidance on this, it wouldn't make sense to me to loose hope.

A.E. Housman

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 26 December 2015, 12:27:21 »
Well, if they wanted to do it that way they could just pitch this last Poll/Vote and go back to the one from January and pick up from there.  I agree with that Somewhat, that they Maybe should have taken all the ones getting 20+ Votes.  That only would have added 2 more to the Production List though (making 8 total), so maybe dropping it to 15 would work, which would make a total of 12.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: 26 December 2015, 13:51:22 »
I'm not sure there is cause to be so negative about the 3rd place and later spots. Last year, we just did one poll and given; we didn't plan it that way, but those 6 results took up all year to do.

While we may do a fresh poll every quarter, it makes just as much sense IMO to take the top 6-8 results and dish them out as quarters 2-4 for 2016. I mean, it's not like this forum is run on advertising and TPTB need gimmicks to bring us back here as often as possible; the game does that already.

Until we hear more direct guidance on this, it wouldn't make sense to me to loose hope.
But doing that would mean that some of us would have to give up hope. As what we want did not even make the list this time. If we do a fresh list every time, much better chance of getting what we would like on the list. I do not know of a better way to do this, but at the same time I am not sure that this is the best way. I know from the first set of things in my local group the best seller is the APC's with between the three people who have bought them over a regiment sold (an more expected to be bought soon, I need/want a regiment for my self). Other than that as far as I know only one each of the flashman and highlander. So just because it is popular does not mean it will be a good seller.

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #53 on: 26 December 2015, 18:33:56 »
But doing that would mean that some of us would have to give up hope. As what we want did not even make the list this time. If we do a fresh list every time, much better chance of getting what we would like on the list. I do not know of a better way to do this, but at the same time I am not sure that this is the best way. I know from the first set of things in my local group the best seller is the APC's with between the three people who have bought them over a regiment sold (an more expected to be bought soon, I need/want a regiment for my self). Other than that as far as I know only one each of the flashman and highlander. So just because it is popular does not mean it will be a good seller.

fair point I guess; my next IWM order includes a bunch of APCs, while the HGN and FLS are waiting for next time.

A.E. Housman

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #54 on: 26 December 2015, 18:48:58 »
The top 2 or top 3 will get made, as per the guidelines topic. With a small BA in third place, I don't see why it wouldn't get made.
I think that the 3 is only there in case where is a tie for the first or second place.

But I don't mind it is only a top 2, however I would prefer if the process becomes more efficient, so that we can do a Poll every 2 months (average of 1 design per month).
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #55 on: 26 December 2015, 20:41:21 »
Yeah. Do they get in contact with the original artist..?

I imagine the back would look like the LNC25-01, due to its production origins:

We do get in contact with the original artist sometimes (Matt Plog sketched up the rear of the Arion for me) but other times we make some stuff up. The new Chimera is a fusion of the MW4 rear and my own design. The MW4 model didn't have a good spot for the jump jets, so I designed my own.

IAMCLANWOLF and B-3 usually come up with rear detail and it gets approved by the QCC. Rule of thumb is "is there enough detail?" And "does the detail match the style?" If the answers to both of those questions are yes, then we usually don't care.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #56 on: 26 December 2015, 21:11:07 »
We do get in contact with the original artist sometimes (Matt Plog sketched up the rear of the Arion for me) but other times we make some stuff up. The new Chimera is a fusion of the MW4 rear and my own design. The MW4 model didn't have a good spot for the jump jets, so I designed my own.

IAMCLANWOLF and B-3 usually come up with rear detail and it gets approved by the QCC. Rule of thumb is "is there enough detail?" And "does the detail match the style?" If the answers to both of those questions are yes, then we usually don't care.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification. :) You guys always come up with great work, so I'm sure whatever comes out will be top-notch.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 04 January 2016, 17:14:17 »
Any updates on this one?

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #58 on: 04 January 2016, 21:26:07 »
Any updates on this one?

Updates coming soon, been busy last two weeks and a bit behind.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: 08 January 2016, 19:12:50 »
Locking the Poll since funding threads will be opened.

Register