Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!  (Read 183005 times)

Charlie 6

• Captain
Re: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!
« Reply #450 on: 31 May 2014, 06:34:08 »

I was just out drinking with a friend who had his first aged about 42 and now at 45 has Number Two en route... maybe that was why he was out drinking with me?
I just read that to my wife and even she nodded in agreement.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #451 on: 31 May 2014, 10:39:07 »
My dad got married at 41, had me at 42, and my little sister at 46.  Granted, mom was close to ten years younger than him.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #452 on: 31 May 2014, 10:53:08 »
"They say I'm robbing the cradle, but I say she's robbing the grave!"
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #453 on: 31 May 2014, 12:25:39 »
What's age but just a number?
Still working on the workbook...
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #454 on: 31 May 2014, 18:23:52 »
What's age but just a number?
Still working on the workbook...
Less age, more mileage.  My kid took off down the street at a toddler sprint (just faster than a fast adult walk) and I aggravated an ongoing heel/ankle/calf running injury.  The wife, laughing at me of course, pointed out that it won't get easier two years from now when I'm chasing the next kid.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #455 on: 01 June 2014, 19:56:36 »
Ugh.  I was playing politics this weekend. Up until 2 AM trying to select a candidate, because it took an hour for the ballots to be distributed, voted, collected, and counted.

And I'm quite unhappy with a politician.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #456 on: 02 June 2014, 01:03:14 »
I have no good reason for being as tired as I am after a weekend of doing relatively little
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #457 on: 02 June 2014, 02:02:00 »
I'm helping to run a vidding convention at the end of June, and even though it's a tiny convention, getting the encoding and DVD building done and typing up the program have consumed two and a half week's leave and several weekends so far. I did manage to get a BattleTech game in for the first time in ages though - played a friend of mine in a small training game, as he's never played before but is keen to learn. My 3025-era Enforcer and Cicada narrowly beat his Hunchback and Hermes II. I realised I've never really played with an Enforcer before, and it gave me a new appreciation for something Succession Wars-era that can jump and drop 10 point autocannon rounds on something, at least while the ammunition holds out. The high point for me was the two evil Kuritan pilots ganging up to kick the downed and one-legged Cicada, only to both miss and fall down themselves. Coring the gyro on the Hunchback with an AC/10 round made sure that guy wasn't getting up again afterwards...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #458 on: 02 June 2014, 13:26:41 »
Had a job interview today.  Think it went pretty well, but it's liable to be a week or so before I know anything.  Sure hoping I can find a teaching position somewhere this summer, I'm getting damn tired of living at home with dad and working part time.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #459 on: 02 June 2014, 22:19:19 »
Best of luck with that bro  O0, finally got a career job a few months back but it took a long time before I got it so I know the feeling about living with your parents and working less than ideal jobs to make ends meet.
Made by HikageMaru

boilerman

• Lieutenant
  • Spinning wrenches since 1968.
« Reply #460 on: 04 June 2014, 21:10:23 »
Yes, good luck with that AW! Hope you get it!

I finally finished school last month. Eight years worth. Start a new job next month. Hope I'm with them until I retire.
Avatar by Wombat. Thanks Wombat!

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #461 on: 05 June 2014, 02:53:27 »
Congrats and congrats!
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #462 on: 07 June 2014, 19:28:49 »
So, my wife has hit her due date for our next child and despite spending five hours at the hospital on Tuesday the baby hasn't arrived yet.  Because of the stress of the local commute, and the increased time of my MiL in my house, I've taken leave for the last couple of days to reduce the burden on the house (specifically of the first child burden on my wife).

Anyway, I've taken this leave opportunity to get sucked into Battlefront's efforts on DUST Tactics.  Not the game mind you, just buying the game.

How is everyone else's weekend going?

greatsarcasmo

• Fabricator General
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Ordo Scriptorum
« Reply #463 on: 07 June 2014, 19:32:31 »
So, my wife has hit her due date for our next child and despite spending five hours at the hospital on Tuesday the baby hasn't arrived yet.  Because of the stress of the local commute, and the increased time of my MiL in my house, I've taken leave for the last couple of days to reduce the burden on the house (specifically of the first child burden on my wife).

Anyway, I've taken this leave opportunity to get sucked into Battlefront's efforts on DUST Tactics.  Not the game mind you, just buying the game.

How is everyone else's weekend going?
Arg, I remember that. We were 5 days past our due date. I feel for you.

I'm also doing the same with WH40K. Specifically the Imperial Guard
and their tanks.
Maker of big things.

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #464 on: 07 June 2014, 20:07:55 »
Arg, I remember that. We were 5 days past our due date. I feel for you.

I'm also doing the same with WH40K. Specifically the Imperial Guard
and their tanks.
We thought the OB was going to schedule a inducement on Friday for sometime early next week:  no such luck.  We've to call back on Monday if nothing happens over the next 36 hours.  Right now, nothing is on the horizon.  Yay?

As for Dust, I'm jumping into the ongoing Operation Babylon effort with a focus on the Axis and Allies...and then I see a article on their website that hits all of the things I like about the Soviets: heavy mech-like battle armor.  Oh well.  I've been impressed with the primed ready out of the box idea along with the opportunity to purchase professionally painted versions for a premium.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #465 on: 08 June 2014, 08:48:05 »
I have a lot of things I should be doing this weekend but am not...  :-\

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #466 on: 08 June 2014, 12:09:40 »
I have a lot of things I should be doing this weekend but am not...  :-\
I miss those days.  Enjoy!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #467 on: 08 June 2014, 12:11:32 »
I miss those days.  Enjoy!

It isn't fun stuff I should be doing but work for my Leadership MSc and stuff like that, I don't have any other weekends free before the deadline to make decent headway on it  :(

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #468 on: 08 June 2014, 13:51:59 »

It isn't fun stuff I should be doing but work for my Leadership MSc and stuff like that, I don't have any other weekends free before the deadline to make decent headway on it  :(
I've a similar problem with writing a resume'.  On the plus side, I poured a glass of wine and my wife started having contraction like feelings.  I wonder if I pour a second glass if she'll have actual contractions.  Maybe I need to dip into the Scotch and make her drive to the hospital.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #469 on: 08 June 2014, 14:00:29 »
I've a similar problem with writing a resume'.  On the plus side, I poured a glass of wine and my wife started having contraction like feelings.  I wonder if I pour a second glass if she'll have actual contractions.  Maybe I need to dip into the Scotch and make her drive to the hospital.

I'd be sticking a straw in that bottle of wine and straw-pedo'ing it down!

Actually, I wouldn't, that would be horrible.

I've finally started to get some work done this weekend - on the Sunday evening! I really need to get better at this... anyway, as part of the reading around I found an article where the abstract at least seems of interest: a study conducted at West Point showed that traditional scoring systems worked well for finding people who do well in ordered places like West Point but less well than other things (like certain psychological traits) for predicting ability at military leadership in "messy"/complex situations

Did I mention my Masters course is apparently the only one recognised as useful and thus an option for Military Doctors in the UK?

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #470 on: 08 June 2014, 14:37:37 »
Did I mention my Masters course is apparently the only one recognised as useful and thus an option for Military Doctors in the UK?
I'm discovering that over 20 years in the military and eight years of dedicated planning still requires me to get a certificate from an organization to prove something to a perspective employer.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #471 on: 08 June 2014, 14:52:25 »
I'm discovering that over 20 years in the military and eight years of dedicated planning still requires me to get a certificate from an organization to prove something to a perspective employer.

That is because there is an industry that makes it's money from such bits of paper

I think that there could be a career for you (or at least money) in giving talks on the leadership of a combined arms (Marine Air-Ground Task Force) force in combat as a way of considering some jobs in medicine as opposed to the airline pilot approach with lots of checklists we get at the moment

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #472 on: 08 June 2014, 18:47:57 »

That is because there is an industry that makes it's money from such bits of paper

I think that there could be a career for you (or at least money) in giving talks on the leadership of a combined arms (Marine Air-Ground Task Force) force in combat as a way of considering some jobs in medicine as opposed to the airline pilot approach with lots of checklists we get at the moment
You are so correct on your first point.  I read the Wikipedia rundown on Scrum Management (for which I was offered a class opportunity)...what a scam.  I've been doing "dynamic" planning like that since I was a Lieutenant.

I appreciate your belief in me but I can't explain MAGTFs to military folks, to include people in my own building, without generating glazed eyes from the audience.  The best I've achieved is somewhere between parroted statements I've made previously to subtly vague "that's a sophisticated approach I've not considered."  The conversation only gets worse the more joint the conversation becomes.  I'd consider working for the MAGTF training program but the travel is horrendous for military or civilian (200+ days a year on the road).

I was hoping to hit it in the lottery and manage my wealth, work at a winery or a Lego store.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #473 on: 08 June 2014, 20:44:09 »
Ugh.

I got a cat this weekend. If you've found me on Facebook, I've put up a few pictures, but he's 13 pounds of grey tabby and white neutered tomcat.

And then I drove in to see a baseball game with my parents-two grand slams (by the visitors) in a single game is just bad play.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #474 on: 09 June 2014, 02:20:03 »
I went to the Great Welsh Beer and Cider Festival with a couple of friends this weekend, which proved to be a bust, sadly. CAMRA had changed venues to the Millenium Stadium, and no-one advertised little wrinkles like:

- no food or drink can be brought into the stadium, so people were losing their soft drinks, bottles of water and packed lunches on the way in, with no option of storing it anywhere for collection on the way out... everything went in a skip
- all stadium-provided food averaged a 150% markup over typical vending-machine prices (£2.50/about $4 for a 500ml bottle of Pepsi)
- the £10 entry fee was just an entry fee; rather than getting your glass, brochure and some tokens included in the price, you had to buy the glass and programme seperately
- the glasses were actually polycarbonate crap and had sponsorship detail on them
- the stadium had only provided CAMRA with a certain amount of space, filling the rest of the space with their own vendors - including a large and very prominant Fosters stall, because that's just what you want at a real ale festival

Combined with increased costs for the beers because of the denominations of vouchers that the stadium had produced and the stadium's insistence that vendors had to take vouchers as well as cash (and that the stadium would claim back 10% of anything paid to the vendors with vouchers) and it left everyone there feeling annoyed and ill-used, putting a damper on it that I've never seen at a beerfest before, and I've attended a lot of them over the years. The three of us tried about half of what we would usually have sampled and left early to go and buy dinner in a pub, although one poor soul from CAMRA spent twenty minutes apologising to us on the way out about how the festival had turned out and how much of it was outside CAMRA's control.

The rest of the weekend involved movies, video encoding and Mass Effect 2...

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
« Reply #475 on: 09 June 2014, 16:17:54 »
That sucks a lot BM.

If you ever fancy an ale and a chat let me know

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #476 on: 09 June 2014, 20:43:45 »
So, the wife is being induced (inducted?) tomorrow morning sometime after 0530.  Conveniently, she's decided to start having semi-consistent contractions.  Here's hoping my 0345 wake-up isn't pushed earlier.  Wish us well, please.

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
« Reply #477 on: 09 June 2014, 21:52:33 »
Here's wishing you the best!

Good luck.
   - Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #478 on: 10 June 2014, 02:00:05 »
That sucks a lot BM.

If you ever fancy an ale and a chat let me know
Willdo - which part of the country are you in? I'm in South Wales.

There were fliers being handed out at the beerfest for a CAMRA beerfest in Swansea Bay - that's about an hour away by train, and a couple of us are mulling over trying that one out with a view to adopting it rather than the Cardiff beerex. I keep getting told I should go to the big beerex in Bristol, but I prefer the smaller festivals... and everyone I work with in Bristol looks at anything across the Severn as being about as far away as Mars, so it feels wrong for me to keep going the other way ;)

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #479 on: 10 June 2014, 02:01:33 »
So, the wife is being induced (inducted?) tomorrow morning sometime after 0530.  Conveniently, she's decided to start having semi-consistent contractions.  Here's hoping my 0345 wake-up isn't pushed earlier.  Wish us well, please.
I hope everything goes swiftly and well.