Author Topic: AGOAC - Locust  (Read 983 times)

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
AGOAC - Locust
« on: 08 October 2019, 22:48:20 »
My first attempt at painting the new mechs.  My paint scheme is going with a rusted look, using various colors of paint (red, blue, etc.) to show that the mercenaries are using what they can obtain, and don't necessarily spend the time to maintain their equipment...also it is 3025 and I imagine a mercenary unit, except the most successful, wouldn't have the most well-maintained or attractive equipment. 

With this unit, the majority of the mech was originally a sky blue, and the left arm got replaced with a red one. 

For self criticism; I think I need to add more of the base colors (reds, blues, etc.) and a bit less rust, keeping it more to the edges of the panels.  However, the convenience with this paint scheme is that every unit would have a different amount of rust so as I get better with this paint scheme it can just be played away as different levels of disrepair.  I also need to try a bit harder on the jeweling of the cockpit, so I will watch some videos for the next unit. 

Let me know your thoughts.  I certainly welcome any and all advice, so long as it is constructive :)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2019, 00:42:42 by Tangoforone »

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
Re: AGOAC - Locust
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2019, 22:59:24 »
I like the colors, but it is a little difficult to view the mini as a whole.  Can you shrink the pictures a bit?  The current ones are displaying a bit large.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2019, 13:24:09 »
I like the idea behind the paint scheme. I would suggest using a less bright metallic color, though. I don't know what kind you are using, but GW Leadbelcher would suit this more, in my opinion. As it is now, it's too bright for my tastes.

As for cockpit, try out GW gemstone colors. I used Waystone Green on my Lyran Guards and it's super easy to layer the color on and achieve the jewel effect. Many people believe it's "paint the silver base and then just paint over the gemstone color", but it isn't. Where you want to achieve a darker translucent effect you need to add more color and then with brush you can "move" or pile the color where you want the effect to be.

Tangoforone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2019, 13:55:39 »
I'll try to upload better images today. 

I was hoping the matte finish would dull down the silver a little bit.  Personally I like it a bit shinier as it adds more contrast to the otherwise 'bland' colors.  Maybe with the next one I will use a duller silver or mark across it with a pencil to see if that dulls it down more. 

Also the method I used to apply the splotches of rust didn't go too well (using the little foam blocks in dice boxes or model kits to splotch it on).  It was too dense in most of the areas so I need to do better of splotching with less force. The last issue I noticed reviewing these images again is that the darker brown doesn't look that great.  I have a dark red that I am going to try next time instead. 

I don't know which model I will do next as I needed the Locust for a game next week.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2019, 15:26:30 »
 :thumbsup:

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 11 October 2019, 21:13:58 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 12 October 2019, 08:48:25 »
I like the colors, but it is a little difficult to view the mini as a whole.  Can you shrink the pictures a bit?  The current ones are displaying a bit large.

Don't shrink, just crop.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Register