Author Topic: 3025 DCMS Sword of Light Battalion Composition  (Read 10219 times)

Boo Hagen

• Private
3025 DCMS Sword of Light Battalion Composition
« on: 20 February 2014, 22:01:55 »
My analysis paralysis has blocked my attempts to compose and commit to a few units from my minis...for over two years.

I'm hoping I can clear this stage by talking these unit compositions out amongst the fans.

I want to move into the painting stage.  I want to have more than just two lines of camo across my mini collection.  I enjoy the idea of the canon parade schemes. I want to assemble units that are varied and large enough that we can drop completely out of canon for pick ups and still hope to deploy unified team color schemes.

I want to assemble units which generally
1) are found in 3025
2) survive past the clan invasion
3) face off against other units I am assembling at some point in historical play
4) varied in their makeup, but unified and complimentary enough to make sense company by company / lance by lance
5) bonus points for a unit who's satisfies the above and has a parade scheme just similar enough to other units which would extend the company / battalion's play.

So, the first and foremost unit I've decided on is Kurita's Sword of Light.

Which Sword of Light?  Doesn't really matter.  2nd.  Nice thing is, with this paint scheme, could be played as any SoL (I won't be affixing markings at this time).  And since this is the first unit I am setting down, I have open season availability on my other minis not listed here.

So with regard only to year availability, and maybe some lance balancing, here's my lineup.

Company / Lance Role
Name   Variant

Operations / Command
Crusader    CRD-3R
Dragon   DRG-1N
Jenner    JR7-D
Jenner    JR7-D

Operations / City
Jenner         JR7-D
Jenner         JR7-D
Urbanmech   UM-R60
Urbanmech   UM-R60

Operations / Strike
Grasshopper    GHR-5H
Phoenix Hawk   PXH-1K
Warhammer    WHM-6R
Wolverine   WVR-6K

Support / Recon
Wasp          WSP-1K
Panther       PNT-9R
Ostscout     OTT-7J
Mongoose   MON-68

Support / Support
Archer   ARC-2K
Archer   ARC-2K
Longbow    LGB-7Q
Longbow    LGB-7Q

Support / Assault
Panther   PNT-9R
Charger   CGR-1A9
Cyclops   CP-10-Z
Victor   VTR-9B

Battle / Battle
Battlemaster   BLR-1G
Crab            CRB-20
Crab            CRB-20
Hunchback   HBK-4G

Battle / Assault
Atlas   AS7-D
Marauder     MAD-3R
Marauder     MAD-3R
Stalker        STK-3F

Battle / Battle
Charger    CGR-1A9
Dragon    DRG-1N
Lancelot   LNC25-02
Lancelot   LNC25-02

Sorry about the formatting.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
Re: 3025 DCMS Sword of Light Battalion Composition
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2014, 22:08:42 »
Needs more Panther!

Seriously, you've only got two in the entire battalion.  There's canon examples of entire companies of Panthers in this time period.

Secondly, you've got too many downgraded SLDF designs.  I'd look at no more than one or two per battalion, at most.

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2014, 22:16:46 »
Roger on the Panthers. Up until last night there were 5.

On variants, here's where I'm stuck. We have all of these great resources (Forums, the famous faction rarity tables, army starter books, FM, Sarna, SSW, etc) but I'm still having a difficult time collating it all.

How do I quickly determine what is a downgraded SL variant? And which variants aren't?

Thanks!

Edit: and when I say I read and research a lot, I mean hours a week.
Edit Edit: *quickly*
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 22:29:25 by Boo Hagen »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2014, 23:11:35 »
Worktroll,

An excellent resource (noted in my comments) and one I have downloaded and constantly consulted. But then I get stuck wondering if a randomly rolled company actually works well together.

Admittedly, probably a far sight better than the companies I have generated by hand here. But I don't have a mechanism to balance out complimentary lances.

I hope the user base can add specific suggestions to my unit assignments.

Seriously though, I love your manuals.  Thank you WT!
« Last Edit: 20 February 2014, 23:13:09 by Boo Hagen »

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2014, 23:25:57 »
How do I quickly determine what is a downgraded SL variant? And which variants aren't?

It's not a question of which ones are downgrades, but which ones are Star League designs in the first place.  In this case, the Lancelots, Mongoose, and Crabs are all lost SLDF designs that are extremely rare post-2nd Succession War.  Now, if you templated this TO&E for the War of 3039 or the early 3040's, it makes sense to have more than one or two of these 'Mechs in a battalion because ComStar gave them to the Combine.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2014, 23:30:12 »
If you'd like, the tables available in my signature have a "Faction Lists" section that tells you exactly what units and variant are available to which faction in the period you're looking at, as well as a rough idea of how common they are.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2014, 23:31:02 »
It's not a question of which ones are downgrades, but which ones are Star League designs in the first place.  In this case, the Lancelots, Mongoose, and Crabs are all lost SLDF designs that are extremely rare post-2nd Succession War.  Now, if you templated this TO&E for the War of 3039 or the early 3040's, it makes sense to have more than one or two of these 'Mechs in a battalion because ComStar gave them to the Combine.

Ah, I see Eagle. Thanks!

I realized the CS gifting of crabs and mongooses, and the relative timing of it, but I kept seeing them in xotl's rarity under the 3025 tab.

Maybe going right back to the drawing board on this entire battalion.

Thanks Eagle!

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2014, 23:35:39 »
If you'd like, the tables available in my signature have a "Faction Lists" section that tells you exactly what units and variant are available to which faction in the period you're looking at, as well as a rough idea of how common they are.

Hey xotl!

I've also studied your guide a tremendous amount.

Then, just a couple weeks ago, I found someone reconfigured your work to show percentages per weight class, with line charts for each.

This weekend, I hard sorted every weight class of every tab to bubble highest frequency to the top.  From there, I erred on the side of highest availability variants.

So grateful for your work xotl!

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2014, 23:45:56 »
To clarify a bit, the Lancelot is actually produced in Kuritan space in this period and is quite common there - it's not a leftover.  The Mongoose and Crab, on the other hand, are indeed old and rare leftovers; later these numbers are augmented by ComStar gifts, but ComStar is not the only source of them.

Glad the work was some help.  Best of luck with your unit!

The Hawk

• Warrant Officer
  • Have talons, will travel.
« Reply #10 on: 21 February 2014, 10:01:08 »
To throw another option out there, I used to use the RATs from FM:DC for generating 3025 Combine forces, as the F column and most of the D column are comprised of introductory-tech 'Mechs.  (Lamentably, the later entrants in the Field Manual series had all-upgraded RATs, making them less useful for that purpose.)

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 21 February 2014, 10:31:43 »
Roger on the Panthers. Up until last night there were 5.

If you run into a problem with determining how the DCMS would utilize that many Panthers in a unit like the SoL, check out the Warrior trilogy, specifically the portions dealing with the Kell Hounds' running battles with Kurita just before the 4th SW.  Panthers seemed to be used as troopers, with a limited number of heavier designs providing fire support.  Recon is, as you would guess, handled by either the bug trio or Jenners.

Which brings us to another problem, of the 36 'Mechs in your battalion, fully 25% are assault designs.  While there are some specialized units in the DCMS which have a solid selection of heavy and assault designs, most are going to fall into the 40/20/30/10 (L/M/H/A) pattern with regards to percentage of units by class.  Right now, you're looking more like a Lyran battalion, weight wise, than anything Combine related.

I know you may not want to hear it, but my suggestion is going to be to scrap this TO&E and start over, using the above mentioned pattern as a rough guide to get you started.  My second suggestion is going to be that when you do start rebuilding, do so with a purpose for each Lance and Company within the Battalion.  Match individual units by speed and capabilities more than weight or class when building your lances.  Companies, OTOH, offer a different role.  I'd suggest that you use the 2-1 method, with two of your Companies being line companies and therefore deployed forward with a mix of Heavy, Medium and Light designs.  This is where the majority of your medium designs will be found, as they're not armed or armored enough for the attack company that is held in reserve.  Hunchbacks are, naturally, an exception to that rule.  That attack company, on the other hand, should be where you focus your firepower, with your heaviest units and best pilots.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 21 February 2014, 11:25:47 »
If I remember correctly the Kell hound source book (I am at work and it is home) has I think the 2nd sword of the light land a battalion of panthers to attack them. In the 3025 time I would say should have lots of panthers.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #13 on: 21 February 2014, 13:14:56 »
Panthers, Panthers and more Panthers.

The 3025 fiction has Kuritan forces (inc the SOL - read Wolves on the Border where Minobu is part of the SOL) driving large quantities of Panthers.

So even a SOL unit would have many many Panthers and Jenners balanced out by Dragons, Quickdraws, Crusaders, Chargers, and the very occasional Battlemaster and Atlas for unit commanders. So a light company would have something like half a dozen Panthers, a couple of Jenners, a Crusader, a Quickdraw and a couple of Dragons (for the commanders)

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 21 February 2014, 21:17:36 »
Hawk,

Thank you for the suggestion!  Do you mean FASA 1698? I have a print copy.

Paladin,

Thank you for the weight class percent guides.  This makes it much easier to assign in scale.  I wish I had a rule-making set similar to your breakdown for multiple factions and eras.  Above and beyond the metric guides available.

Indeed...ready to wreck the current assignment chart and start from scratch.  Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for here!

Mike and Phoenixalpha, thank you for your balancing notes!

In other news, DBH will be ordering some Panther minis.

Hopefully brand new unit list by end of this weekend.

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 21 February 2014, 21:48:04 »
Paladin,

Are you saying that in a 3 company battalion, I should have some arrangement similar to:

Battle
Battle
Assault

Where the Assault provides the loping center, and the two Battle Companies provide front / flank coverage?

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 21 February 2014, 22:47:42 »
That's exactly how I'd run it, two up (Battle) and one back (Assault) waiting to crush whatever the Battle Companies were able to pin in place.

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2014, 23:15:38 »
Here we go, now with more Panther goodness.

Company     Role
Name   Variant

Operations   Command
Dragon   1N   
Spider    5V      
Jenner     D      
Jenner     D      

Operations   Support
Crusader     3R   
Archer     2K      
Archer     2K      
Panther    9R   

Operations   Recon
Wasp    1A   
Phoenix Hawk   1      
Wasp    1A      
Stinger    3R   

Battle   Battle
Wolverine   6K   
Dragon        1N      
Griffin          1N      
Quickdraw   4G   

Battle   Battle   
Panther   9R   
Panther    9R      
Panther   9R      
Marauder    3R   

Battle   Battle      
Quickdraw    4G   
Quickdraw   4G      
Charger       1A1      
Shadow Hawk   2K      

Assault Assault         
Panther           9R   
Panther        9R      
Hunchback   4G      
Hunchback   4G

Assault Assault
Atlas              D   
Stalker            3F      
Rifleman           3N      
Whitworth   1   

Assault Assault
Battlemaster    1G   
Panther       9R      
Warhammer    6R      
Grasshopper    5H   

Feels a bit homogenous, and I truly hate the Charger 1A1 pea shooter variant.  I did manage to sneak a Marauder in, but I feel like I need a real game changer in here.  Something to fluff the unit, such as "yes indeed, we are a standard SoL battalion...except for Johnny over there, who we picked up from a devastated Ryuken unit six weeks back."

Thoughts?

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2014, 23:37:56 »
So don't field the -1A1.  Try the -1A5 instead.  It's a Combine-produced variant, and it certainly carries better guns that five small lasers.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2014, 23:50:51 »
Eagle,

Dig the 1A5 more, but Sarna claims it is a Cap variant.

How does the revamped lineup look to you?

Thanks!

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2014, 23:53:56 »
I'm liking what I see here, but like you said it's still a bit too homogeneous as it stands now.

As for the Charger, you actually have a problem in deploying that as it stands.  Even though it's an assault, it's not a well-respected design and so more than likely wouldn't be in the SoL.  That being said, if it was in the SoL, that'd probably be a great way to build a character hook for that pilot.

Other notes: I love the fact that you're using the bug 'Mechs, that's a good thing in my eyes.  The Dragon in the Battle Company needs to be replaced with a Jumper.  Swap it with one of the Quickdraws in the Charger Lance to keep the movement profiles similar.  I love that you're using the Marauder, but move it to a command slot, don't let the commo suite in that Marauder sit idle.  Finally, bring the Panthers out of the Assault Company.  They're too light for that unit.  Look at bringing in an Orion or maybe a Thunderbolt.  Both are good heavy designs dripping with armor that the DCMS respects.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #21 on: 22 February 2014, 00:15:51 »
So don't field the -1A1.  Try the -1A5 instead.  It's a Combine-produced variant, and it certainly carries better guns that five small lasers.

It's the 1A9 that the Combine makes, not the 1A5. Unfortunately it doesn't show up until '39. I'd also substitute all your 1N Dragons for 1G Grand Dragons. Also for your Wasps, Phoenix Hawks, Crusaders and Warhammers the Combine has the 1K, 1K, 3K and 6K respectively.

Also, I'd replace that Rifleman with a Lancelot 02. The Combine should still have plenty of them at this point and in 'Mech vs 'Mech combat it's superior to the Rifleman in almost every way.

Lastly, No Catapult K2s?   ???
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 00:20:04 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 22 February 2014, 04:07:51 »
If your going to include so many of the K variants then
you should consider including 2 of the best of the K variants .

The Warhammer WHM-6K and the Crusader CRD-3K .

Also that's a lot of Quickdraws .

I'd consider dropping at least 1 of the 3 for either a Catapult or
one of the heavy Osts .
Possibly drop 2 of the 3 and add both an Ost and a Catapult for variety .
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 04:09:47 by House Davie Merc »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #23 on: 22 February 2014, 04:18:09 »
None of the Charger variants apply.

I'm echoing the lack of Lancelots here: about two would be good.  I'd also replace one of the stock Wasps with a -1K, and squeeze another Dragon in there somewhere.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #24 on: 22 February 2014, 05:12:29 »
Marauders are not out of the question. In Wolves on the Border, IIRC, one of the senior Kuritan commanders who was in Takashi Kurita's temporary bodyguard unit was piloting a tiger striped Marauder.

Grand Dragons were incredibly rare in 3025. Standard Dragons were way more common, the switch started after the 4th SW. Maybe a Battalion commander might pilot a Grand Dragon, but they wouldn't be handed out to everyone.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #25 on: 22 February 2014, 10:54:41 »
In a SoL battalion I could see 3 Grand dragons.  That would be your top number.  The bat commander,  one company co and someone well connected
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 22 February 2014, 11:27:22 »
If your going to include so many of the K variants then
you should consider including 2 of the best of the K variants .

The Warhammer WHM-6K and the Crusader CRD-3K .

Also that's a lot of Quickdraws .

I'd consider dropping at least 1 of the 3 for either a Catapult or
one of the heavy Osts .
Possibly drop 2 of the 3 and add both an Ost and a Catapult for variety .

I can't believe I forgot the Ostroc.  That design is a solidly DCMS machine.

Also, if you're going to replace the Charger, you might want to look at an Awesome.  Granted, you wouldn't want to put it in the same slot as the Charger is now, but it would go great with your Atlas and Stalker.

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #27 on: 22 February 2014, 13:04:27 »
Awesome feedback!  Thank you all for helping me plug the gaps in my understanding!

Updated composition:
  • Dropped the Chigger and the Whitworthless.  One less mini to purchase. 
  • Dropped the Rifleman
  • Updated several to K variants, but left one Wasp 1A for variety (is that genuine?) 
  • Added an Ostroc (luckily have 2). 
  • Added two Lancelot -02s. 
  • Added Awesome -8Q. 
  • Shifted a few around. 
  • Lost 1 Panther. 

Panther loss is problematic, but no 4/6/x lance fit elsewhere.  I actually wanted to add perhaps one more. Only realistic option is either dropping the Wolverine lance or dropping the 2 Jenners from the command.  Hate to lose the only Jenners in the battalion, and also the multi-role Wolverine lance.  It represents my true playing style.

I'm back to being a bit heavier now.

Operations / Command
Dragon   1N
Spider   5V
Jenner   D
Jenner   D

/Support
Crusader   3K
Archer   2K
Archer   2K
Panther   9R

/Recon
Wasp   1A
Phoenix Hawk   1K
Wasp   1K
Stinger   3R

Battle / Battle
Wolverine   6K
Quickdraw   4G
Griffin   1N
Quickdraw   4G

/Battle
Marauder   3R
Panther   9R
Panther   9R
Panther   9R

/Battle
Ostroc   2L
Dragon   1N
Dragon   1N
Shadow Hawk   2K

Battle / Assault
Lancelot   02
Lancelot   02
Hunchback   4G
Hunchback   4G

/Assault
Atlas   D
Stalker   3F
Awesome   8Q
Panther   9R

/Assault
Battlemaster   1G
Panther   9R
Warhammer   6K
Grasshopper   5H

How we looking?

Edit: FG, looks like K2s aren't in until the '30s.
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 13:06:08 by Boo Hagen »

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #28 on: 22 February 2014, 17:53:27 »
Bit late to the party, but per the MTOE for the 2nd SOL per NAIS 4SW Vol 1, that regiment in particular fielded a heavy, medium, and light company per battalion.  By comparison, the same outfit, in 3013 (per Kell Hounds sourcebook), fielded a generally similar average weight, but with the companies not as homogenized--lots of companies composed of heavy or assault, medium, and light lances.

Also in the 4SW, the 5th SOL had four battalions, featuring in sum total a single assault company, three heavy companies, four medium companies, and four light companies.  In 3013, that unit was substantially similar, with one battalion having companies composed of one or two heavy lances and a light lance.

Long story short, your latest rendition seems plausible and evokes the right feel; that is ultimately most important, not so?  The guiding light behind DCMS 3rd and 4th SW periods is a profusion of heavies and lights with a smattering of assaults and mediums.  Oh, the PPC-armed Catapult isn't strictly a 3030s-only machine; it existed since the first printing of TRO 3025 (though they were more rare in that tome than they were in my games once I found out RPE made them...).
« Last Edit: 22 February 2014, 18:00:16 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 23 February 2014, 01:22:16 »
In 3025, the three designs that seem most iconically Kuritan are the Panther, Jenner, and Dragon.  I'd fully expect minimum a lance of each, probably significantly more Panthers.  One or two Dragons might be Grand Dragons, but they weren't that common in '25.  Your command lance especially looks pretty light, I'd move everything but the Dragon to recon.  Speaking of, I'd have two recon lances instead of just one.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #30 on: 23 February 2014, 10:04:14 »
FG, looks like K2s aren't in until the '30s.

What's your source on that? It's in TRO 3025.
I have spoken.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 23 February 2014, 11:24:06 »
Okay, I took a second to reorganize and tweak the TO&E again this morning and here's what I came up with.

Alpha - Command
Battlemaster - 2C
Marauder 3R
Warhammer 6K
Archer 2R

Alpha - Assault
Atlas 7D
Stalker 3F
Awesome 8Q
Grasshopper 5H

Alpha - Support
Crusader 3K
Archer 2K
Panther 9R
Hunchback 4G

Bravo - Command
Dragon 1N
Ostroc 2C
Shadow Hawk 2K
Griffin 1N

Bravo - Battle
Grand Dragon
Lancelot 02
Hunchback 4G
Panther 9R

Bravo - Recon
Phoenix Hawk 1
Jenner 7D
Stinger 3R
Wasp 1K

Charlie - Command
Wolverine 6K
Panther 9R
Quickdraw 4G
Dragon 1N

Charlie - Battle
Thunderbolt 5S
Rifleman 3N
Dragon 1N
Panther 9R

Charlie - Recon
Jenner 7D
Ostscout 7J
Jenner 7D
Spider 5K

Now, all of these are either general availability designs or are Kurita specific designs.  The only exception to this is the BLR-2C variant of the Battlemaster, which is a command version with a second cockpit for your Battalion CO.  Given that this is a SoL Battalion, I don't really see that as being that much of a stretch, considering that the rest of the unit is fairly tame and this is supposed to be an elite unit.

You'll also notice that I reused some of the minis you mentioned before, such as the Ostscout and Rifleman.  They were good designs, you just need to put them in a good location with the proper support in the rest of their lance.

So, what do you think?

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #32 on: 23 February 2014, 12:50:45 »
Thank you for the research Failure!  Combined with what I've learned so far, and Arkansas Warrior's input, I feel like I do need to change the overall profile.

And yes indeed Failure: giving the right feel of the unit (along with sense of playability interest for me) is what I am shooting for.

Fat Guy, I was reading the fluff on Catapult's Sarna entry, and then cross checked SSW's availability list up to 3028, but there is consensus here with regards to TRO3025, so I'm good with that.  Also I now notice it as rare but available on xotl's Faction Assignment, Kurita 3025 tab.  I'd be happy to find a way to include a Catapult; love them.

Looking at Paladin's work (thank you for the time!), all of these suggestions seem to fall into place.  This line up gives us 2 recon lances, tighter integration to the battalion command lance and the assaults, a couple of premiere units, and makes use of mech variety.

I want to think on this composition.  I was starting to get used to the idea of almost unified movement profiles across each lance, and I see some lances where there is more variability.

Work calls, so I likely won't be able to add more until say Saturday, but still have my ears open.

Thanks all!

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 23 February 2014, 16:37:04 »
So I am at home and looking through cannon sources for Sword of the Light units are as follows

5th Sword of the Light (Sorenson's Sabres Company) From Sorenson's Sabres Scenario book Time setting is 3 Oct 3021 to 15 Sep 3026
Command Lance
Marauder MAD-3R
Warhammer WHM-6R
Samurai SL-25 (Fighter)
Phoenix Hawk PHX-1K

Medium Lance
Longbow LGB-0W
Rifleman RFL-3N
Trebuchet TBT-7K
Stinger STG-3R

Pursuit Lance
Archer ARCH-2K
Phoenix Hawk LAM PHX-HK2
Hermes III HER-4K
Wasp WSP-1K

Only change from above for the Starterbook Sword and Dragon is in 3021 the Medium Lance is called Fire Lance

From The Kell Hounds Scenario Book (All are basic models unless listed.)
Zakahashi's Zombies of the Second Sword of Light 21 Oct 3013
Assault Lance
BattleMaster
Marauder
Grasshopper
Ostsol

Support Lance
 Orion
Rifleman
Dervish
Enforcer

Light Lance
Javelin
Stinger
Locust
Locust

Part of First Battalion, Second Sword of Light Regiment 1 Mar 3027 to 25 May 3027
Torinaga's Company
Panther
Panther
Panther
Panther

Panther
Panther
Panther
Panther

Panther
Panther
Panther
Panther

Kamekura's Company
Panther
Panther
Panther
Panther

Panther
Panther
Panther
Panther

Panther
Panther
Panther
Panther

Yoshogi's Support Lance
Griffin
Griffin
Shadow Hawk SHD-2K
Shadow Hawk SHD-2K

Miscellaneous Mechs
Grand Dragon
Awesome

So looking over this it could be said that you can put almost any unit that you want in to it that was around at the time, but if you look at the first battalion 2nd Sword of the Light in the cannon scenario book they list 30 of the 36 mech in a normal battalion and 24 of them are panthers, if you go off of that you could make the argument that 2 out of every three mechs should be a panther. My self if I was making my own Sword of the Light Battalion I would think you should have at least 12 panthers spread through out the battalion. But would most likely not got 2 out of 3 my self unless I was making that specific unit.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #34 on: 27 February 2014, 22:35:17 »
What no Trenchbuckets?!

Trebuchet-5J, 5K and 5N.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2014, 22:12:29 »
Here we go.

Advancing Paladin's company re-org, stretching back into some more Panthers and Dragons, and preserving all but two lances W/R profiles, I'm nearly settled on this:

Command      
Dragon   1N   5/8/0
Ostroc    2L   5/8/0
Dragon   1N   5/8/0
Dragon    1N   5/8/0

Assault      
Atlas           D   3/5/0
Stalker    3F   3/5/0
Awesome    8Q   3/5/0
Panther    9R   4/6/4

Support      
Crusader    3K   4/6/0
Archer    2K   4/6/0
Archer    2K   4/6/0
Panther    9R   4/6/4

Command      
Battlemaster   1G   4/6/0
Panther           9R   4/6/4
Warhammer   6K   4/6/0
Grasshopper   5H   4/6/4

Battle      
Lancelot    02   4/6/0
Lancelot   02   4/6/0
Panther   9R   4/6/4
Hunchback    4G   4/6/0

Recon      
Phoenix Hawk    1K   6/9/6
Wasp   1K   6/9/6
Stinger    3R   6/9/6
Wasp    1A   6/9/6

Command      
Marauder   3R   4/6/0
Panther   9R   4/6/4
Panther   9R   4/6/4
Panther   9R   4/6/4

Battle      
Wolverine   6K   5/8/0
Quickdraw   4G   5/8/5
Griffin          1N   5/8/5
Quickdraw   4G   5/8/5

Ranger      
Jenner   D   7/11/5
Jenner   D   7/11/5
Jenner   D   7/11/5
Shadow Hawk   2K   5/8/3

Nice thing is, since we abide WYSIWYG down only to the mech / mini, I can still 'swap' the Battlemaster for a command variant, and the DRG for a Granddaddy for any specific matches.

No 'buckets in this lineup TT: I only have two minis to spare, and I think they might better fit in a FWL or CCAF unit (coming later).

How we living?

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #36 on: 05 March 2014, 22:14:37 »
Also, I realized earlier in the week that this exercise might best fit in the Successor States sub.  Thoughts?

I have about a dozen more to work through.

Thanks errybody!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 06 March 2014, 17:40:24 »
May I suggest a swap?

Assault      
Atlas               D     3/5/0
Stalker            3F    3/5/0
Awesome         8Q   3/5/0
Warhammer     6K   4/6/0 <--

Command      
Battlemaster    1G   4/6/0
Panther           9R   4/6/4
Panther           9R   4/6/4  <--
Grasshopper    5H   4/6/4

Battle     
Lancelot          02   4/6/0
Panther           9R  4/6/4
Hunchback      4J   4/6/0  <--

Reason is Assualt now has 5 PPCs, paired LLs, LRMs galore, and a AC/20 plus ML-spam with SRM backup. Also 3 Small lasers o' Doom!! >:D
Command now has 3 Jumpers to corral them towards the Anchor, your B-Master, and now Battle has a good LRM missile boat with good ML-spam-ability, also makes a good anchor unit. Panther scouts and the Lancelots pound downrange like a good CAV unit it is.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2014, 23:58:46 »
I, on the other hand, would go for an all 4/6/4 Battle lance and all 4/6/0 Command lance, because I'd hate for the CO to have to abandon his mech and ride a jump seat to travel with the rest of his lance.  Like so:

Assault     
Atlas               D     3/5/0
Stalker            3F    3/5/0
Awesome         8Q   3/5/0
Warhammer     6K   4/6/0

Command     
Battlemaster    1G   4/6/0
Hunchback      4J   4/6/0

Battle     
Grasshopper    5H   4/6/4
Panther           9R   4/6/4
Panther           9R   4/6/4
Panther           9R  4/6/4

Or I'd trade the Beemer and Whammy, and have the CO personally lead the Assault lance.  Yes, he might run off and leave them(if he's an idiot...), but at least he's got a lot of heavy metal to keep him safe normally.

I'm only belatedly realizing that these weren't all in the same company, so my second idea would require some rejiggering of which lance is in which company.  oh well.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2014, 00:00:24 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #39 on: 07 March 2014, 21:52:23 »
Thanks again TT and Arkansas!

I applied elements of both.

Have to say Charlie Company will be quite nasty on a mixed ground field.

Command      
Dragon   1N   5/8/0
Ostroc   2L   5/8/0
Dragon   1N   5/8/0
Dragon   1N   5/8/0

Assault      
Atlas                 D   3/5/0
Stalker         3F   3/5/0
Awesome    8Q   3/5/0
Warhammer   6K   4/6/0

Support      
Crusader   3K   4/6/0
Archer   2K   4/6/0
Archer   2K   4/6/0
Panther   9R   4/6/4

Command      
Battlemaster    1G   4/6/0
Lancelot   02   4/6/0
Lancelot   02   4/6/0
Hunchback   4J   4/6/0

Battle      
Panther    9R   4/6/4
Panther   9R   4/6/4
Grasshopper   5H   4/6/4
Panther    9R   4/6/4

Recon      
Phoenix Hawk   1K   6/9/6
Wasp   1K   6/9/6
Stinger   3R   6/9/6
Wasp   1A   6/9/6

Command      
Marauder   3R   4/6/0
Panther   9R   4/6/4
Panther   9R   4/6/4
Panther   9R   4/6/4

Battle      
Wolverine   6K   5/8/0
Quickdraw   4G   5/8/5
Griffin   1N   5/8/5
Quickdraw   4G   5/8/5

Ranger      
Jenner   D   7/11/5
Jenner   D   7/11/5
Jenner   D   7/11/5
Shadow Hawk   2K   5/8/3

I feel set.  2nd Sword of Light, assigned.

Thanks for everybody's input!  Glad to have y'all help me through this, and adding both canon information and flavor.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2014, 21:57:18 by Boo Hagen »

massey

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 19 March 2014, 00:54:44 »
If I recall correctly, the 2nd Sword of Light was actually made up of 4 battalions.  Most of the SoL regiments were overstrength in some way.

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #41 on: 24 March 2014, 19:50:33 »
massey,

I remember reading that somewhere as well.  If needed, I can look at adding a fourth combat vee company, explain it is a dark period for this SoL unit, running short handed and desperate.

thank you!

Register