Author Topic: 3025 LCAF Lyran Guards Battalion Composition  (Read 3161 times)

Boo Hagen

• Private
3025 LCAF Lyran Guards Battalion Composition
« on: 15 March 2014, 19:45:53 »
Assembling what may be the 10th Lyran Guard, 3025, with some room to grow into Clan Invasion (2nd Battle of Twycross makes me salivate).

Company disposition should be considered rather fit, supplied, and aggressive.

Bonus: I totally assembled this while Wagner's Der Ring Des Nibelungen soared in the background.

Command      
Zeus   ZEU-6S   4/6/0
Orion   ON1-K   4/6/0
Hunchback   HBK-4G   4/6/0
Banshee   BNC-3S   4/6/0

Support      
Warhammer   WHM-6R   4/6/0
Crusader   CRD-3R   4/6/0
Longbow   LGB-0W   4/6/0
Longbow   LGB-0W   4/6/0

Strike      
Commando   COM-1D   6/9/0
Commando   COM-2D   6/9/0
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6
Wasp   WSP-1A   6/9/6

Command      
Highlander   HGN-733   3/5/3
Atlas   AS7-D   3/5/0
King Crab   KGC-0000   3/5/0
Thunderbolt   TDR-5SS   4/6/0

Assault      
Stalker   STK-3F   3/5/0
Stalker   STK-3F   3/5/0
Awesome   AWS-8V   3/5/0

Assault      
Banshee   BNC-3E   4/6/0
Victor   VTR-9B   4/6/4
Goliath   GOL-1H   4/6/0
Grasshopper   GHR-5H   4/6/4

Command      
Battlemaster   BLR-1G   4/6/0
Rifleman   RFL-3N   4/6/0
Marauder   MAD-3R   4/6/0

Battle      
Phoenix Hawk   PXH-1   6/9/6
Wolverine   WVR-6R   5/8/5
Griffin   GRF-1N   5/8/5
Griffin   GRF-1N   5/8/5

Recon      
Cicada   CDA-2A   8/12/0
Ostscout   OTT-7J   8/12/8
Spider   SDR-5V   8/12/8
Locust   LCT-1S   8/12/0

I think I'm going to hear a good deal of "where's more Commandos, Griffins, Banshees and Zeus.'"

Spider and Ostscout were DCMS steals.

Does this jive with the era / faction / unit?

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: 16 March 2014, 12:09:36 by Boo Hagen »

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: 3025 LAAF Lyran Guards Battalion Composition
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2014, 22:23:52 »
I think I'm going to hear a good deal of "where's more Commandos, Griffins, Banshees and Zeus.'"

I was thinking that with respect to your one Zeus before I read this sentence.  It's weird to see a 3025-era unit with two Highlanders, but only one count of their House's signature assault design.

Wolfhounds and Firestarters (especially the Mirage variant) are good Elsie alternatives to Commandos.

You seem to be missing Archers, especially the good, native -2S variant.

You can probably also justify a few FedRat designs, given that Hanse and Katrina signed the FedCom Accords and began military exchanges in 3020.  Marauder/Warhammer-D, Enforcer, P-Hawk-D, Valkyrie, etc.

Also, the speed on the Banshee -3S is 3/5.

Hope this helps.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2014, 23:27:12 »
3025 is set long before the Lyran Alliance Armed Forces.

In that era (and for most of Lyran history) the house army was called the LCAF.  (Elsies :) )

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #3 on: 16 March 2014, 01:37:35 »
Wolfhounds and Firestarters (especially the Mirage variant) are good Elsie alternatives to Commandos.

The Wolfhound wasn't exactly widespread in 3025.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Boo Hagen

• Private
Re: 3025 LCAF Lyran Guards Battalion Composition
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2014, 12:20:27 »
Thank you!

A few alterations based on everybody's input.  Also, changed the title.  Brainfreeze.

Dropped out Wasp, the duplicate Longbow, Stalker, and Rifleman.  Changed Banshee accordingly. Marauder is now a Davion-class (freakin lasers on its head).  Added an Archer and a Zeus, dropped in a Firestarter Mirage. Evened out a couple of lances according to movement profiles.

The two Highlanders, I want to build a side story there (twins).

Command      
Zeus   ZEU-6S   4/6/0
Orion   ON1-K   4/6/0
Hunchback   HBK-4G   4/6/0
Thunderbolt   TDR-5SS   4/6/0

Support      
Warhammer   WHM-6R   4/6/0
Crusader   CRD-3R   4/6/0
Longbow   LGB-0W   4/6/0
Archer   ARC-3S   4/6/0

Strike      
Commando   COM-1D   6/9/0
Commando   COM-2D   6/9/0
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6
Firestarter   FS9-M   6/9/6

Command      
Atlas   AS7-D   3/5/0
King Crab   KGC-0000   3/5/0
Banshee   BNC-3S   3/5/0

Assault      
Stalker   STK-3F   3/5/0
Banshee   BNC-3S   3/5/0
Awesome   AWS-8V   3/5/0

Assault      
Zeus   ZEU-6S   4/6/0
Victor   VTR-9B   4/6/4
Goliath   GOL-1H   4/6/0
Grasshopper   GHR-5H   4/6/4

Command      
Battlemaster   BLR-1G   4/6/0
Banshee   BNC-3E   4/6/0
Marauder   MAD-3D   4/6/0

Battle      
Phoenix Hawk   PXH-1   6/9/6
Wolverine   WVR-6R   5/8/5
Griffin   GRF-1N   5/8/5
Griffin   GRF-1N   5/8/5

Recon      
Cicada   CDA-2A   8/12/0
Ostscout   OTT-7J   8/12/8
Spider   SDR-5V   8/12/8
Locust   LCT-1S   8/12/0

This gives me a good variety against my collection, so I'm not pigeonholing all my XYZ minis under a single paint scheme.

Seems like a fairly fast-paced unit for a Steiner force.  Hmmm.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2014, 12:44:20 »

I don't know, I think it fits my view on about how many totem mechs there should be for a House unit in the late 3rd SW.  We're looking at a battalion sized force, and it does have the key Steinerrific mechs represented.  No need for more than 2 of any one chassis since we're not looking at the 1st and 2nd SW.. not even the DCMS runs around with entire companies of Dragons or Panthers anymore by 3025.

Personally, for a Steiner force heavy as yours set in 3025 I'd make Thunderbolts more of a workhorse, but if you're basing it on minis at hand that may be an issue.  And besides, going back to my first comment here, there's a subjective line between 'mainstay or workhorse' and 'too many of any one thing for 3025'.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2014, 12:45:58 »
I might go with the -1S variants of BattleMaster and Griffin.  Other than that, I got nothing.  Looks good.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2014, 20:48:00 »
Thanks TDC!

Arkansas, thanks!  Taking a long look at the Beemer -1S.  On the Griffs, going to keep them long range loaded to cover fire for the 'loose cannon' Pixie lance commander (constantly outjumps his lance, throws himself recklessly into the fray, etc).

Thanks thanks!

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 17 March 2014, 14:02:38 »
Looks good to me, the main thing I saw had been fixed, I did think that it is a bit on the heavy side, but that fits with the fluff for them. The only thing that I have is the spider just feels wrong to me, I can not put my finger on anything, but if it was me I would swap it out with a second Locust that would keep the lance speed up. But like I said I can not point out any reason to do so.

I don't know, I think it fits my view on about how many totem mechs there should be for a House unit in the late 3rd SW.  We're looking at a battalion sized force, and it does have the key Steinerrific mechs represented.  No need for more than 2 of any one chassis since we're not looking at the 1st and 2nd SW.. not even the DCMS runs around with entire companies of Dragons or Panthers anymore by 3025.
In the fluff and scenario books for the time frame the DCMS did have some of there most elite units running companies with 10+ Panthers

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 17 March 2014, 14:08:03 »
In the fluff and scenario books for the time frame the DCMS did have some of there most elite units running companies with 10+ Panthers

Said fluff was referencing the early Succession Wars.  I doubt you can cite a 3025 (or other late 3rd SW) source saying the same.  I certainly can't recall any source listing anything like 10/12 like chassis in any mech unit for that era.. panthers or not.  I'm even having trouble thinking of something on the order of half the unit being one chassis.

By that time, both Kurita and Steiner (and all the House Lords for that matter) had long lost homogeneity in their forces, even for their totemic mechs.

O5P_Ghost

• Warrant Officer
  • DR? NSR? Doesn't matter, I'm the one with the HMG!
« Reply #10 on: 17 March 2014, 14:25:55 »
Said fluff was referencing the early Succession Wars.  I doubt you can cite a 3025 (or other late 3rd SW) source saying the same.  I certainly can't recall any source listing anything like 10/12 like chassis in any mech unit for that era.. panthers or not.  I'm even having trouble thinking of something on the order of half the unit being one chassis.

By that time, both Kurita and Steiner (and all the House Lords for that matter) had long lost homogeneity in their forces, even for their totemic mechs.

Warrior series has a whole company of Panthers attacking the Hounds and in Wolves on the Border there is a lance of three Panthers and one Ostscout.

I think it stupid but there you go.
User formally known as Snowfire
"Because the Draconis Combine is the greatest, strongest nation-state the universe has ever seen, and it is the destiny of House Kurita to rule over all of humanity. The people of the Federated Suns can accept this or be made to accept it." MapCapellan

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 17 March 2014, 14:40:23 »
Warrior series has a whole company of Panthers attacking the Hounds and in Wolves on the Border there is a lance of three Panthers and one Ostscout.

I think it stupid but there you go.

Well, Hackpole is canonical so I guess there's one example.  One example however, a trend does not make.  Especially against the sourcebooks that used to explicitly list TO&Es.

Likewise, I'd say lance is so small they're down below this consideration for/against homogeneity.  It's already automatically 25% of any one thing just for having one of it.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2014, 09:12:45 »

There is the scenario book for the Kell Hounds that has several units made up of all panthers or almost all panthers. I do not have it with me right now at work, but if I remember correctly there are three companies made up of all panthers and a fourth one with ten panthers. Now that is the only source book (and the several novels sited above) that I have bothered to look so I can not say if it is so in others but that is several sources, some fluff some giving unit specifics.