Author Topic: 3025 AFFS Deneb Light Cavalry Battalion Composition  (Read 3059 times)

Boo Hagen

• Private
3025 AFFS Deneb Light Cavalry Battalion Composition
« on: 23 March 2014, 21:45:46 »
Back again my friends, this time with a bit of a twist.

I really want to assign a DLC unit.  It is near the top on my list.  However, the below list might be of a unit which is much too heavy for a DLC battalion.

The reason for the alignment here is these are specifically the plastic minis I have in my collection.  I want them all in one unit, for uniformity.  It is also the reason there are a couple of 5-member lances.

So, if the arrangement below is less suited to the 3SW/4SW era, and more for another faction / unit, would love to hear your thoughts.  I can do the DLC in another pass.

Command      
Battlemaster   BLR-1D   4/6/0
Victor   VTR-9B   4/6/0
Marauder   MAD-3D   4/6/0
Crusader   CRD-3D   4/6/0
Catapult   CPLT-C1   4/6/0

Assault      
Atlas   AS7-D   3/5/0
Atlas   AS7-D   3/5/0
Banshee   BNC-3E   3/5/0
Awesome   AWS-8V   3/5/0

Special Operations      
Phoenix Hawk   PXH-1K   6/9/6
Griffin   GRF-1N   5/8/5
Quickdraw   QKD-5A   5/8/5
Wasp   WSP-1K   6/9/6

Wishbone Company      
Striker      
Shadow Hawk   SHD-2D   5/8/3
Shadow Hawk   SHD-2D   5/8/3
Valkyrie   VLK-QA   5/8/5
Wolverine   LVR-6R   5/8/5

Recon      
Phoenix Hawk   PXH-1   6/9/6
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6

Guerilla      
Wasp   WSP-1D   6/9/6
Wasp   WSP-1D   6/9/6
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6
Stinger   STG-3G   6/9/6

Line Company      
Fire Support      
Archer   ARC-2R   4/6/0
Archer   ARC-2R   4/6/0
Rifleman   RFL-3N   4/6/0
Warhammer   WHM-6D   4/6/0
Panther      

Battle      
Orion   ON1-V   4/6/0
Centurion   CN9-AH   4/6/0
Centurion   CN9-AH   4/6/0
Thunderbolt   TDR-5S   4/6/0

Battle      
Battlemaster   BLR-1D   4/6/0
Victor   VTR-9B   4/6/0
Crusader   CRD-3D   4/6/0
Orion   ON1-V   4/6/0

Thanks much!

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
Re: 3025 AFFS Deneb Light Cavalry Battalion Composition
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2014, 22:28:31 »
If no one beats me to specifics by tomorrow, there is no such thing as 'too heavy' for a DLC unit, since the MTOEs in the back of the 4th SW books had them fielding some heavy gear indeed.  I do know that both the 4th and 5th DLC had a heavy battalion each (with the 4th's being closer to an assault if memory serves; two out of three companies I believe). 

I have a very large DLC outfit in miniature and nearly anything goes comfortably in such an outfit (and their paint-scheme is easy too...as well as meshing nicely with a Wolf's Dragoons regiment [Epsilon]).

Right off the bat, though, I'd say a little less STG-3G might make it a bit less munchy in my eyes, and the -AH Centurions are Lyran (yeah, yeah, I understand the 3020 alliance but still...) signatures.  I have always thought of the variant Awesomes being more FWL than anything else.  There is only one of each, but the QKD and CPLT could easily be replaced by something more...AFFSish.  And it is no fun without some JagerMechs or Locusts...

But I like the inclusion of the SHD-2Ds.  Even as-is I have no problem with it being represented as a DLC unit, though if you hadn't called it that, I would have said "[Davion-biased] mercenary battalion".  For whatever that is worth.   ;)
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2014, 22:30:17 »
Yeah, it is WAY too heavy for a Deneb regiment. IMHO, this looks like a good LCAF unit (lots of heavy/assault types), or another heavy assault unit. 8th Crucis Lancers, 11th Avalon Hussars, and the 1st Capellan Dragoons, if you're looking at AFFS units.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2014, 23:30:34 »
Not enough Phoenix Hawk PXH-1Ds .

Also to many Stinger STGs , but only 1 Valkyrie .

To many Orions  as well IMHO .

Perhaps consider getting some Enforcers in their somewhere .

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2014, 19:47:23 »
Thanks all!

Looks like we have one vote yea, one vote nay, and one with modifications.

Because I am keeping these plastics together, it is either all or nothing.  However, I will use the suggested framework for a second try at DLC later with my metal minis.

That being said, could we see this as say an ELH unit instead?  The journeymen story (FWL, LC, FS) activity might explain the odd mix.  Or is this too heavy a line up for the Horse too?

I would be very interested in bringing an Avalon Hussars unit into the fold as well.

Thank you!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2014, 20:32:23 »
just flipped thru the old Mercs handbook
and oddly the Light Horse does have a couple companies that are this heavy
specifically the Bloody Half Hundred, aka 50th Heavy Cavalry Battalion
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2014, 13:11:38 »
As for the make up of DLC can not say, but if you are planing on getting the new starter kit with its plastic mini's using all of you plastic up here may not be the only option.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2014, 13:13:30 »
Feels too heavy and slow for a DLC force to me.  All in all, kind of feels Steiner more than anything.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2014, 15:08:24 »
I get more of a DCMS vibe from those mechs, sans the Valk and Cents which can be handwaved as salvage.
Also, the Victors are jump capable with 4 jjs, the Panther is 4/6/4, the Catapult has 4 jjs.

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2014, 19:46:16 »
just flipped thru the old Mercs handbook
and oddly the Light Horse does have a couple companies that are this heavy
specifically the Bloody Half Hundred, aka 50th Heavy Cavalry Battalion

Nice find! I dig the fluff I've found so far!

As for the make up of DLC can not say, but if you are planing on getting the new starter kit with its plastic mini's using all of you plastic up here may not be the only option.

I may, just for the plastics.  But then I always think, if I'm going to drop a dime on minis, why wouldn't I get metal. /m\

MadCow and Arkansas,

What do you guys think about an Eridani Light Horse battalion up in here?

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2014, 20:23:34 »
Madcow,

Thanks for the W/R/J catches.  Too much sleepy copy-pasta that day.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2014, 11:55:39 »
I am not that familiar with the DLC, but it looks like a good unit to me.

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2014, 13:12:01 »
Hmm, when I hear "Light" as part of the unit name I tend to think it will be composed of mainly light mechs and medium mechs with a smattering of heavy mechs.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2014, 15:36:47 »
The Deneb Light Cavalry is not, contrary to popular belief, composed solely of Light and Medium 'mechs; as such, they make a great 'generic' Davion force.  They have a simple color scheme and their individual elements can stand in for any other AFFS regiment if properly chosen to represent a mixture of weight-classes.

From the available info we have, we know that at the time of the 4th Succession War, the 4th and 5th DLC fielded some heavy equipment indeed.  The former's First battalion was composed of two Assault companies and a heavy company while the latter, in it is Third Battalion yielded a full Heavy company.  The balance was split fairly evenly between Lights and Mediums in the 5th, while the 4th fielded five Light 'Mech companies and a solitary one of Mediums (source:  4th SW Atlas Vol. 1).  The old FASA 4th SW Scenarios Vol 1 gave us a 'mixed-bag' company from the 5th DLC that fielded no less than four Assault 'Mechs out of seven (with a Heavy, Medium, and Light completing it).

As of 3025 (per the HDSB), the 15th DLC also "carries a fourth battalion of heavy 'Mechs".  So, not all DLC units are composed chiefly of Light 'Mechs.  There is room for all sorts in a DLC outfit.  But I will admit, however, that they are known for using lighter elements and for that reason the initially pictured force is a bit too heavy for a generic DLC outfit.  It also lacks many of the lighter AFFS staples of the period which is why I think "Davion mercenary" as opposed to DLC.

Now, could that be an ELH force?  Sure, why not.  Paint them olive drab and they can be 8th DLC in a pinch.  My own ELH force is based around the premise of being able to portray them as seen in the original Mercenary's Handbook at a company level so I have everything from Locusts to Atlases.

Fun fact:  if you want to build a force like that and be able to put a any company from the entire unit on the table, you only need 60 or so 'Mechs to ensure very minimal proxying...
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
--A. Duritz

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2014, 17:13:46 »
FM:FS says "As the DLC is devoted to highly mobile warfare..." and "The units remain true to their original intent and still field a light to medium force."  While it doesn't surprise me that all the units aren't homogenous, I'd expect the heavy and assault units to be the exceptions that prove the rule, and even then to be unusually mobile for their size (Assault mechs like the Victor rather than the Atlas, heavies like the Quickdraw or Exterminator rather than Black Knight or Marauder).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #15 on: 26 March 2014, 22:07:05 »
And yet, on Northwind in January of 3029 they fielded exactly the ones you would not think of:  namely a Stalker, Atlas, and Marauder (as well as a Von Luckner heavy tank).

I'm not trying to sharpshoot you or anyone else here, just trying to dispel an illusion.  In other words, three out of, what, five DLC regiments (?) fielded relatively significant numbers of Heavies and Mediums?  That may well have changed with the Field Manuals.  They changed a lot else, such as the origins of Hansen's Roughriders and the background of the Amphigean Light Assault Group to name just two examples.  That still does nothing to invalidate the canon information of the specific era that is in question.

I would also like to say that "highly mobile warfare" can be conducted by men on foot, in trucks, riding MBTs, or aboard helicopters.  I always like to remind people that real-world [US Army] cavalry organizations field the same equipment as the rest of the Army...they just use it better differently.
--A. Duritz

Boo Hagen

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2014, 22:00:47 »
ELH.

Or call it Northwind Highlanders and call it a day?  O0