Author Topic: Battletech Gameboard and Terrain!  (Read 16572 times)

awesomeshotdude

• Private
Battletech Gameboard and Terrain!
« on: 03 May 2012, 01:29:30 »
I've still got a few things to do before I'm finished...I've got to build a couple of bridges, some more trees, a few more small building pieces and then a large military base with walls and turrets etc....similar to the military bases in Mechcommander 2, and I'll be using a mix of Xmarx and Old Crow resin terrain for this.

The board is 26 hexes long and 18 hexes wide and the hexes are 10cm (4") across each.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some pics of a Draconis Combine Assault Lance on patrol in their area of operations;

« Last Edit: 03 May 2012, 01:31:53 by awesomeshotdude »

marshalldragoo1234

• Corporal
Re: Battletech Gameboard and Terrain!
« Reply #1 on: 03 May 2012, 04:28:06 »
That is some awesome looking work. Maybe a bridge for the road? How do you treat the mountain hexes? As levels? But, this is a great looking table. Very nicely done. :)

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2012, 08:04:22 »
THat's an extremely sharp board.  O0

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2012, 08:31:35 »
 :o :o

TylerDurden

• Master Sergeant
  • This was my vacation.
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2012, 08:35:36 »
Spiffy!
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.  -- They Might Be Giants

Ouchies

• Warrant Officer
  • Rightly good batchall my good sport. Rightly good.
« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2012, 11:25:20 »
Nice!  O0

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2012, 11:44:55 »
Damn! Very nice work! Did you cut those hex panels or buy them somewhere?

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2012, 11:54:18 »
Damn! Very nice work! Did you cut those hex panels or buy them somewhere?

-Gunz

Those are from Kallistra,but I better not tell you the price.
Yes they are beautiful and expensive for a single game map.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
  • When in doubt throw more metal at it
« Reply #8 on: 03 May 2012, 13:38:43 »
Wow! can we get shots of the buildings?
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 03 May 2012, 16:39:51 »
Is that a WoB Castle Brian in the background ;-)

Is looking nice! Aren't the hexes a tad bit big?

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #10 on: 04 May 2012, 03:01:38 »

Is looking nice! Aren't the hexes a tad bit big?

10 cm flat,very big!

awesomeshotdude

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 04 May 2012, 03:43:39 »
Cheers guys  :)

Maybe a bridge for the road? How do you treat the mountain hexes? As levels?

Yeah, making two bridges is my next project. The moulded mountains I treat as impassable terrain (except to jumping and flying etc) and assign each hex a level based on the highest part of the mountian in that particular hex.

Did you cut those hex panels or buy them somewhere?

Nah mate, I bought these from a place in the UK called Kallistra, they're called Hexon boards. You can buy them pre-flocked and you only need to do a little tidying up and adding of details to get them looking pretty cool.

....can we get shots of the buildings?

Next time I've got the board set up for a game, I'll take some pics for you dude...

Aren't the hexes a tad bit big?

They're 10cm across from one flat side to the other. I like them this size for a few reasons;

1) It allows me to stack units and actually have them fit in the same hex,
2) I can fit units in a hex with the terrain without having to squeeze things in or set things aside,
3) It provides a much cooler (truer) looking ground scale for the Mechs and their weapons ranges, the terrain and other units, and
4) It also allows me to make and use larger terrain pieces like the Mechcommander 2 style military base I am presently piecing together.

I find Battletech is too long a game to play with huge amounts of units, so I only ever play smallish games, so I don't need a huge collection of hexes to have a decent game. I much prefer playing smaller unit battles with objectives....more fun in my opinion.

john blackwell

• Lieutenant
  • putting on a happy face
« Reply #12 on: 04 May 2012, 05:26:25 »
Sounds like you found a terrain system that fits your needs and looks very very cool.  I must say, I like the idea of making the terrain mech-scale.  It does give a good idea of weapons / ranges with mechs.

Love to see those bridges when you finish them . . . considered model RR?  IDK, but HO-scale might be the correct width of a hex-side.

Looks great!
JB
One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off
Pro pacis par vox excellens

Garfink

• Recruit
« Reply #13 on: 04 May 2012, 12:52:17 »
Looks awesome!  Checked out that crazy terrain and its crazy price!  Your dedication to your hobby is admirable... 

The buildings look great, but you need smaller trees, to make little forests.

awesomeshotdude

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 05 May 2012, 02:19:30 »
Love to see those bridges when you finish them . . . considered model RR?  IDK, but HO-scale might be the correct width of a hex-side.

Yeah, I've thought about model RR bridges and they seem to be a good option. I'm going to have a sticky beak around and see if I can find something suitable in size and style.....if I can't find anything though, I'll just end up making my own with balsa wood, plastic tubing and plasti-card I think...

The buildings look great, but you need smaller trees, to make little forests.

I have got some smaller trees actually...I might base them 3-4 to a base and place them around in a few hexes as smaller cops of trees/forest

keisukekun

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • A Love Suicide
« Reply #15 on: 05 May 2012, 08:16:15 »
That board is AMAZING!  looks like 3 boxes is easily enough to make a board this size

rafale56

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2012, 03:58:58 »
That's a great terrain you have there, indeed ideally suited for small-scale operations.Great job O0

Friendly

LordNth

• Warrant Officer
  • Still playing with toys.
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2012, 22:26:01 »
That's one clean looking table.

I wish where my table was it got that much light  :-\

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2012, 23:16:13 »
That's downright spiffy.  [drool]
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

FLAKPANZER

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 16 May 2012, 10:11:06 »
Awesome.

Did you buy the flat-topped hill sections, or create those yourself?

awesomeshotdude

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2012, 03:30:55 »
Cheers guys :)

I wish where my table was it got that much light  :-\

Yes mate, it certainly makes it a bit easier to play games and read your sheets /rules if you've got some decent light that's for sure :)

Did you buy the flat-topped hill sections, or create those yourself?

Yeah I made those myself. I just used 1" thick sheets of polystyrene foam, traced the shapes on using a template then cut them out. Once I had enough cut out, I glued them together to make multiple level hills.

yergerjo

• Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 18 May 2012, 06:16:45 »
Beautiful board! I'd let my 5th SoL to help defend it anytime.
Physical attacks for Griffin GRF-1DS (Bot1)
Punch (Right Arm) at Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon); needs 6, rolls 10 : hits (using Punch table) HD
Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon) takes 6 damage to HD. Armor destroyed, <<<SECTION DESTROYED>>>,
*** Summoner Prime #2 (Jade_Falcon) DESTROYED by damage! ***
Critical hit on HD. Roll is 9; 1 location.
<<<CRITICAL HIT>>> on Standard Cockpit.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 18 May 2012, 11:26:48 »
Beautiful looking board .

It really show cases the scale difference between Mech scale and the terrain
a lot of us use .

At 26 hexes long and 18 wide it pretty much fills a ping pong table .

A regular Battletech map is 17 hexes tall and 15 + 2 half hexes  wide .

That makes this something like 1 and 1/3rd battletech boards .

Kind of  makes me wonder how someone could make a 2 ping pong table set up playable .

If  had the scratch and the space I'd definately consider it .

SO many possibilities ...

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 18 May 2012, 17:41:47 »
You only need one pingpong table.  Lay two  sheets of plywood sideways on it and there you go. All you need is a place to store the wood when not in use.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

awesomeshotdude

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 18 May 2012, 20:32:16 »
Thanks House Davie Merc :)

You could make a two ping pong table set up with the short edges touching, no problem, but if you tried to do it with the long edges touching, it wouldn't be very practicle to play on I think. The board in the above pics is just a shade over 5' wide and I can comfortably reach to the centre and could probably do so if it was another foot wider as well (or another 3 hex board piece wide)...any wider though and, unless you've got arms like and orangutan, I think you'd be having serious problems reaching your mini's in the middle of the board. The other problem is getting the two ping pong tables to match evenly in height so the game boards would cross the join without having to tilt unevenly...ShadowRavens suggestion would prevent this.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2012, 23:46:02 »
well you could still do 2 tables side by side but occasionally need to seperate them to get into the middle
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

inrepose

• Private
    • Gruntz
« Reply #26 on: 06 June 2012, 10:26:29 »
I like the fact you are happy to use those large hex's as proper map scale hex's. They are closer to the actual ground scale of a hex - was it 50m ? Either way it looks fantastic and you can also easily represent heavy/light woods inside the hex without making it difficult to place a model in it.   

Great work and an inspiration!

whytwolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #27 on: 12 June 2012, 09:26:19 »
Your table looks amazing! BTW: Can you tell me the source of those buildings? I am looking to add some to my setup.

Thanks!

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 12 June 2012, 10:11:24 »
That is some awesome looking work. Maybe a bridge for the road? How do you treat the mountain hexes? As levels? But, this is a great looking table. Very nicely done. :)

I didnt see a response on this one, are the kallistra mountain hexes just L1 hills or just an impassable pile of rocks?
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

awesomeshotdude

• Private
« Reply #29 on: 14 June 2012, 03:59:09 »
Your table looks amazing! BTW: Can you tell me the source of those buildings? I am looking to add some to my setup.

Thanks!

Thanks mate. All the buildings you see in the pics are from Old Crow Models in the UK. He has a heap of 6mm scale resin terrain, the buildings you see in the pics are only a small fraction of his range....

awesomeshotdude

• Private
« Reply #30 on: 14 June 2012, 04:04:36 »
I didnt see a response on this one, are the kallistra mountain hexes just L1 hills or just an impassable pile of rocks?

Sorry mate, I've been quite busy of late :)

Yeah, the large hex shaped hills with flat tops are made by me from 25mm thickness foam sheets. Each level is equivalent to 1 level.

The Kallistra hills I use as impassable terrain, however they can be jumped or flown over ofcourse. Whenever drawing LOS over these, I take the highest point of the hill in which I am drawing LOS over, and round it's height to the nearest inch, and that is it's level. They range from level 1 to 4 depending on what hex you are drawing LOS over.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #31 on: 30 June 2012, 13:39:51 »
I especially like the "oversize" of the hexes. Good if you have a 'mech, infantry , and vehicles mixing it up in the same hex.

psionics313

• Recruit
« Reply #32 on: 14 August 2012, 17:00:13 »
I particularly like the pink castle estate off to the sunset  O0
Rust, Dust, and Guts

ghost13a

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 15 August 2012, 00:57:26 »
 O0 Very nice setup, lot's of scope for small unit games.  Well done.

Davidism

« Reply #34 on: 13 December 2012, 20:46:57 »
Wow!Great table! I'm new to the game and this sort of stuff is wakes the imagination. BT does look better on 3D terrain!