Author Topic: Operation Revival OmniMech Review: Executioner (Gladiator)  (Read 41381 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Another mech missed from the big list of Clan Mechs to be reviewed I give you the 95 tonne Executioner/Gladiator OmniMech

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/9/95/Executior.png

https://static.mwomercs.com/img/wavethree/executioner-concept.png

Designed and built by Clan Ghost Bear the Executioner is an old design as well as being the result of two different design projects.  Apparently the beginnings of the design start with Clan Burrock who drew up the first layout of what would later become the Executioner.  The Bears obtained this way back in 2873 and the started working on adapting it for their own ideals.

It does seem however that at first the Executioner was nearly not the machine it is today, the Bears at the time wanted a totem Mech as well as a front line and brand new assault scale Omnimech but the requirements of the design were conflicting and unworkable, leading the Bears to change the whole programme again and create a Totem Mech AS WELL AS a new assault OmniMech.  This lead to both the Kodiak and the Executioner being developed with the Executioner entering production in 3001.  Mainly concentrated within the Bear’s Tourman the Executioner was also popular with Clan Smoke Jaguar but less so amongst the other Clans of Kerensky.

Unlike many of the older SLDF assault machines the Executioner was designed with speed in mind as well as tactical manoeuvrability and this combination was apparently quite the surprise for the Inner Sphere MechWarrior’s who first faced this tall and imposing machine.

Of course this extra speed and manoeuvrability comes at a cost, the Executioner could be seen as under gunned and somewhat lacking in protection but this does not mean that it is a weak machine. Far from it, the Executioner generally does well with its pod space and has the speed to control the range of most battles against machines its size, and even with modern machines in the 3145 there’s few in the Executioner’s weight range that can match its raw speed.

The beating heart of the Executioner is a 380 rated XL Engine  as well as a MASC system that is an integral part of the engine.  The Mech also has hard mounted four jumpjets.  This means that as standard the Mech has a 4/6/4 movement profile and a 4/8/4 when the MASC system is engaged and there’s some variants that can go even faster.  Its no suprise that this machine was a horror for the Inner Sphere, its movement profile is that of most standard heavy Mechs' and with the MASC engaged it can run as fast as the standard speed of big mediums of the time.

Built on a standard skeleton but protected by 13.5 tonnes of Ferro-Fibrous armour the Executioners in a decent layer of protection.  The legs can take a double tap of AC-20’s before being breached, whilst each arm can take a pair of gauss rifle shots and still have a small amount of armour left.  Oddly enough the left and right torso’s are somewhat lacking in armour, each one taking an AC-20 to strip them, although the back protection can take a standard PPC blast.  The chest can take a pair of Gauss slugs and then an ER Medium before its breached and you go internal, the head has the maximum protection.  The curious lack of protection on the side torsos could be that they are rarely used for anything too important.  Almost all of the Executioner’s mount their main weapons in their arms with secondary weapons or systems being torso mounted or used to store ammo, often padded out with heatsinks/Jumpjets to absorb the damage. 

Like many Operation Revival Omnimechs’ the Executioner carries a full load of integral heatsinks, 16 double strength heatsinks as standard and most configs do well to keep within the 32 heat they can dissipate.  This kind of makes the Executioner a bit of an oddity. Most of its variants are fairly cool running and only suffer heat issues if you go berserk.  Unlike many of the Revival era OmniMech where you overheated and exploded if you DARED look at the big red button with ALFA STRIKE written on it, the Executioner can do this in many of its configs without too many heat woes that so blighted the Revival machines of the Clans.

Configurations (And boy is there a LOT of them)

(Please note that I use the NATO phonetic alphabet for naming the variants and no I'm not sorry!)

Prime – Possibly built with the ideals of the Clan’s open field duelling in mind the Prime is armed for long range combat where its speed allows it to dictate the range and control the engagement.  A pair of ER Large Lasers and a single Gauss rifle (with the usual 2 tonnes of ammunition) are the Mech’s major weapons whilst a pair of machine guns provide anti-infantry fire as well as some last ditched fire support.  To overheat the Prime you either have to have a crippled engine, be bathed from head to foot in Inferno gel or for some reason be rolling around on the surface of a sun.  Standing still and firing a full alfa strike generates 25 heat which is utterly negated by the 32 vented by the Heatsinks.   And then the Scientists put another 3 heatsinks on this Mech!  Meaning that it dissipates 38 heat, making it impossible to overheat without heavy application of infernos or plasma weaponry (or the aforementioned rolling about on a sun). 

Alfa – Almost lacking ballistic weapons which is unusual for a Bears design, the Alfa is an ‘energy boat’ armed with a trio of deadly Large Pulse Lasers in the left arm.  Backing these up is a quartet of ER Medium lasers in the right arm whilst a pair of machine gun sits almost unnoticed in the right torso.  Whilst more heat intensive than the Prime the Alfa is fitted with another three heatsinks like the Prime giving it the capacity to disperse 38 heat allowing you to fire the three pulse lasers and run and jump to your hearts content.

Bravo – The First Son of a veritable family of similar configs on this machine the Alfa features a more mix bag approach to its role.  For long range engagements a ER PPC, a much feared head capper and long range gun is the ‘support’ weapon to a huge and deadly Ultra-20 Autocannon whilst a single ER Medium laser acts as the supporting weapon.  This variant also features an AMS to protect it whilst it closes the range to bring its main gun to bare.  Like the A and Prime the Bravo is fitted with a trio of additional heatsinks allowing you to fire both the PPC and double tap the Ultra AC without scratching the heat counter, even at a full run or jump.  The UAC-20 draws from a 3 tonne ammo bin, giving it 15 shots.

Charlie – The Second Son of similar but different configs that star with the Bravo, the Charlie config retains the huge Ultra-20 Autocannon of the Bravo but replaces the ER PPC with the first indirect fire capable weapon system of any Executioner, an Artemis enhanced LRM-20 rack.  For support a single ER Small Laser is fitted, but both this pop gun and the main cannon are guided by a Targeting Computer, making this machine lethal to anyone who gets close.  Running cooler than the Bravo the Charlie can fire its entire weapons compliment at maximum rate without a blip on the heat scale, this variant is even more heat efficient than the cool running Prime.  Like the Bravo the Charlie has a 3 tonne ammo bin for the UAC-20 and the LRM has a 2 tonne bin for a dozen shots.

Delta – Another energy weapon heavy variant possibly built with anti-infantry and battle armour duty in mind (which makes sense given the Bear’s long association and use of Elementals) the Delta is built for short range engagements.  The primary ranged weapon is a single Large Pulse Laser whilst the array of supporting weapons is both large and varied.  Three Medium Pulse Lasers, FIVE Small Pulse Lasers, a single ER Small Laser and a pair of SRM-6 racks round out the armament of the Delta giving it a huge volume of fire at short to medium ranges.  Three extra heatsinks mean that even if you fired everything but the ER small you’d only be 2 heat up on your heat scale assuming you stood still.  Curiously enough the SRM’s have a total of three tonnes of ammo between them, which is quite extensive, and gives you the possibility to use different ammo types.

Echo – A more multi-role machine than other configs the Echo is the first Executioner to mount ATM’s with a pair of ATM-9 racks supported by a pair of ER Large lasers provide the main heavy hitting punch.  For short range firepower the Echo also features a pair of Heavy Medium Lasers.  The ATM’s have five tonnes of ammunition between them, which does allow you to utilise the flexible warheads quite well although an extra tonne would have been nice.  An additional heatsink goes some way to controlling the heat but firing both ER Large and ATM’s will start to slowly overheat you.  Probably one of the more dangerous of the variants of the Executioner the multi-role ATM and their variable warheads give it a formidable punch at all ranges and this is backed up by a potent array of energy weapons for when the missiles do run out.

Foxtrot – A Hellstar’s kissing cousin, and nearly as nasty, this monster features just a trio of guns. But they happen to be a pair of large pulse lasers and an ER PPC, all of which are tied into a targeting computer.  Oh and the engine is fitted with a supercharger allowing this 95 tonne machine to run with both the Supercharger and MASC system active at just shy of 100kph.  Yes you did read that right.  This variant is also one of the most expensive Mech’s in the Game in terms of BV with a rating of 3606.  Able to strike at any range thanks to its armament and the accuracy of the targetting computer this seemingly undergunned mech is without a doubt a monster and is probably very popular as a dueling mech.

Golf – Speaking of expensive…the Golf is an all-round combatant which can engage at long range with its ER-PPC and brand new Streak LRM-15.  A six pack of ER Medium’s built into the arm round out the armament, but wait. There’s more.  All of these weapon systems are tied into a targeting computer, and the Mech is also protected by a Watchdog CEWS.  This Mech is pricey in terms of BV at a HUGE 3825, even more than the vaunted Tomahawk II or feared Hellstar.  Firing both main weapons will not hurt you heat wise whilst a full salvo from the laser battery will put you close to overheating at 30 heat prior to movement.  This means you can chop and change your weapons fire depending on the range and your personal preference.  (I do not know if this variant features any extra heatsinks or how much ammo there is for the LRM).

Hotel – the Third Son of the UAC-20 family this variant retains the heavy cannon of the Bravo and Charlie configs but replaces their long range weapon with a Heavy Large Laser for even more close quarters brutality.  Unlike the Bravo and Charlie the Hotel config features a more extensive array of secondary weapons centred round a pair of ER Medium lasers and a torso mounted flamer for anti-infantry work.  Quite a heat hog if used incorrectly a double tap from the cannon and a blast from the laser will put you at heat neutral if you stay still so you could run and gun this machine for a considerable time firing just those weapons.  The Hotel boasts a rather deep four tonne ammo bin giving it 20 shots, quite impressive for any Clan machine.  And as if that wasn't bad enough...all those guns are aimed by a targetting computer. 

India – Another close quarters killer this time based off the Foxtrot variant, armed with a pair of Improved Heavy Large Lasers and a pair of Streak SRM-6’s to fill the holes torn open by the heavy lasers.  It retains the supercharger of the F and also is fitted with an ECM system.  This variant features more heatsinks, 22 in total making this machine heat neutral if both lasers fire and both SSRM’s hit and you stand still.  (I don’t know how this one works fully as on REMLAB it was half a tonne under weight for the supercharger.)  I do not know if this machine would be a viable replacement for any of the UAC armed variants, it lacks the ammo dependency that many Clan mech's suffer from and has a slightly longer ranged, if (BARELY) weaker punch as well as a nice salvo of hole fillers with the SSRM's.

Kilo – More a refit of the Prime featuring newer weapons the Kilo retains the dual ER Large lasers of the Prime but replaces the Gauss rifle with a HAG-20.  The lighter weapon means that the secondary battery can be upgraded with the machine guns and their ammo removed and in their place is a trio of ER Medium Lasers.  Taking this over the Prime is a matter of taste, the HAG is arguably more damaging but thanks to its sandblasting effect is more a hole filler than the solid punches of the Gauss.  The HAG is a more flexible weapon against aircraft and VSTOL’s though, giving you a formidable long range AA weapon as the Executioner does not feature ANY form of LB-X autocannons in any of its variants.  Almost as an afterthought a Light Active Probe is also fitted to detect hidden foes.  The HAG draws from a 3 tonne ammo bin giving it a total of 18 blasts, but the backup energy weapons mean this machine is not useless once the HAG is depleted.  Two extra heatskinks also counter the heat from the HAG making this machine a cool runner like the Prime.

Papa – A varied and multi-role armament that seems to be built towards fighting vehicles and battle armour, the Papa is armed with a HAG-30 and LRM-10 for long range engagements as well as close in firepower.  A trio of heavy medium lasers are in turn supported by a Plasma Cannon which adds to woes of any mechanised force or infantry targeted by this machine, whilst the heavy lasers are ideal at popping battle armour.  Again a quite cool running machine, a full alfa will still start causing the heat scale to rise but not obscenely but dropping the Plasma cannon every now and then might be advisable.  The HAG-30 has a 3 tonne ammo bin, giving it 12 shots, whilst the LRM and Plasma rifle both draw from a 1 tonne bin apiece, giving them 12 and 10 shots respectively.

With its huge number of variants, manoeuvrability and firepower as well as being a rare Clan Mech that runs cool the Executioner is a nasty opponent to face and a good Mech to have on your side.  Yes it may not be the most heavily armed machines in the setting, but it’s still something that is worthy of respect and concern if you see it coming towards you.  I hope you enjoyed the breakdown on this machine, really the best way to fight it is to just pound it.  Due to them being heavily heatsinked inferno's and plasma weaponry is not really your best bet but it will reduce some of the fire being directed at you.  If possible aim for the torso's and hope for hits on the mech's ammo bins, otherwise its going to take a lot of firepower.

Any thoughts and comments are most welcome.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2015, 07:27:14 by marauder648 »
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Operation Revival OmniMech Review: Executioner (Gladiator)
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2015, 09:33:21 »
A few thoughts.

The G does have a total of 17 double heat sinks, meaning that a full jumping Alpha will leave it at +20 heat; it is very much a bracket fighter though, so that's not much of a concern. What's interesting to me is how similar it is to the older hyper-expensive Tundra Wolf 2. And the I works, but I don't know what could have caused the weight issues. It does have a targeting computer though, I'm not sure if you figured that into the calculations.

That being said, I love the Gladiator. It certainly has its flaws, but it's damned fun to drive around. Personal favorites would have to be the I and the K, but I really do prefer using them in non-BV balanced environments.

Thanks for the article!

(by the way, I'd suggest using the art available on the MUL for these sorts of articles; they're typically well-sized and CGL is perfectly ok with the hotlinking)
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2015, 09:48:16 »
Thank ye for the info about the G, I don't have the sheet or book with that one in it so had to go off Sarna's data.  And I like the Gladiator because its a scalpel of a mech rather than the Dire Wolf or similar machines hold you down and kick you in the teeth approach.  Its quite refined really, and as I pointed out a lot, its very cool running for a Clan machine.  Sure there are some that run cooler (the laughably bad Gargoyle Prime for example, seriously...that things a turd) but few in this things weight bracket. or anything near it.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2015, 09:57:43 by marauder648 »

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2015, 10:56:07 »
Heh, the old joke "What weighs 95 tons, can run almost 100 kilometers per hour, can jump 120 meters, and carries a Gauss cannon?" "I don't know, but I'm getting out of here."

I used to waver back and forth on my opinion of the Gladiator due to a few too many instances of the MASC failing on the first turn or two of use. That caused me to mostly stick to running without MASC and jumping, so the mass spent on MASC used to be a crumb stuck between my teeth. Some of the configs needed tweaking for my preferences - I had a couple of battles in a row where I lost the left arm on a Gladiator-A, for example - but overall it was a solid ride. Its biggest weakness was that it wasn't a MadCat or Ryoken, plus my love affair was beginning with battle armor, which made it 94t too heavy.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2015, 12:08:29 »

The Executioner has come into its own with the new, 32nd century configurations.  Older configurations, while still effective, were usually suboptimal.  I always wanted to fiddle with them, replacing the Gauss with a peeper or the ER large lasers with pulse models on the Prime, for example.  The F configuration finally does that for us.  Similarly, I always wanted to combine the B and D configurations in an assault backstabber that could both punch big holes and critseek.  Again, the I configuration finally does that for us.  Short of optimizing the chassis, the Executioner has fulfilled its promise.
« Last Edit: 21 March 2015, 13:19:45 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2015, 12:50:54 »
Mobile clan assault mech... I'm in!

I'm a big fan of this thing.  It's not optimized, it's not a Dife Wolf walking death machine.  But man you haven't had fun in a Revival game until you run an Executioner prime.  Even more fun if you can dump the MG's and extra heat sinks for something useful.  I distinctly remember a grognard in the early 90's trying to maneuver a Shadow Hawk and Griffin away.  "Well at least I can get away" he said.  }:)

The newer setups are scary too! 

I love nothing more than running big scary clan omnis that move like crazy!   I'll take Gargoyles and Executioners all day!

To the patient go the spoils

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2015, 15:01:29 »
Is it me that the Spartan seems similar in some aspects to the Executioner (Gladiator).
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2015, 15:24:02 »
Is it me that the Spartan seems similar in some aspects to the Executioner (Gladiator).

Perhaps a distant ancestor or inspiration?

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2015, 17:44:15 »
Also, whoever came up with the MWO design needs a kick in the rear.  That thing is awful.
I like the other ones but man that one is a miss for me.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2015, 18:55:51 »
Heh, the old joke "What weighs 95 tons, can run almost 100 kilometers per hour, can jump 120 meters, and carries a Gauss cannon?" "I don't know, but I'm getting out of here."
;D Why you will always have find a fan of the Executioner at the game.
It's not the most optimize Omni (Storm Crow, Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf as mentioned above) but still has some nice fire power and maneuverability, the later being what sells the mech.

Play the Gladiator like a Heavy vs a Assault. If you think the Summoner has a glass jaw, maybe it's time to give the Executioner a try. Plus unlike the Nova Cat and such, you can light this mech on fire and it will still run after you with all guns blazing. You got to love that image!
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #10 on: 21 March 2015, 20:42:01 »
This has always been one of my favorite mechs, just because of the ability to MOVE. I especially like the H, that was my preferred mech for my PC, mostly b/c an UAC20 + HLL is always good, and the flamers let me deal with any errant PBIs. At some point I really need to try some of the new Supercharged monsters.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2015, 23:15:03 »
Brief commentary.

Marauder, you might want to reverse your play style on some of these. The variants that you highlighted as duelers are better thought of as snipers which typically see action in BV games where high Clan BV demands the mobility to hold at long range for as long as possible.  The brawlers are better in duels because they aren't going to be smashed by grouped fire as they take slow moving assaults apart.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #12 on: 22 March 2015, 10:00:35 »
When it comes to the Clans, I was a Ghost Bear first, second, and always (the Blood Spirits a distant third and only on occasion), and so since this was their primary assault 'Mech during the initial invasion, I adopted it as my personal favorite from the get-go.  More than even the 3055-era Marik assault 'Mechs, it taught me that just because you're big doesn't mean you can't be maneuverable too, and I learned to wield the sniper-like Prime configuration like a master.  Stick a good pilot in there and use its speed and jump capacity to hold the range open while generating good target movement mods, and it can punch holes like there's no tomorrow.  Given a large enough playing field, there's also not much that can catch it that it is actually scared of, and the things that it wants to run away from -- such as the vaunted Dire Wolf -- don't have a happy hope in Hell of closing the range.

I was also a fan of the Alpha, but always felt like it needed a targeting computer to unlock its true potential.  I shied away from the UAC/20 variants, however; I tried the Bravo a couple of times and the gun always locked up on me.

That being said, it is still my favorite Bear OmniMech of all time. 
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2015, 14:11:45 »
Always been my favorite Clan assault of the original 4, and is still in the top 5 (the Stone Rhino beats it out just because of lingering good memories, and because I love that original mini). The MWO art I... like? Yes, I definitely like it, even though my mind screams, "It looks like a gimp biting down on a bar gag!"

In Alpha Strike, this is plain-and-simple one of the nastiest Clan 'Mechs out there. Because MASC adds a flat amount of inches to MV (instead of potentially failing), it has the distinction of having the highest amount of Armor linked to TMM+2 - some other assault 'Mechs equal it, but only after triggering TSM. While a couple of its configs do translate to 'low' damage in AS terms, the D config has an absolutely crushing output of 7/7/2 with OV1 - if you don't play Alpha Strike, under the basic rules it can completely disintegrate a Hellbringer with one hit at up to 24" range. Thank the Maker they changed to variable damage in the Companion rules. The combination of speed, armor, and firepower make the Executioner a top-notch pick.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2015, 07:10:52 »
I've always loved this Mech as a big brutal sniper, much like the advice that Jellico stated.

Also marauder648, please trim down the images or just provide a link to them.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2015, 07:23:56 »
I've always had a soft spot for this 'Mech, but it's somewhat been eclipsed by other designs due to lackluster configs. The NTNU brought it back in full force, though: I've been using all three variants since they dropped, especially the G, which I am absolutely smitten with. It's a monster at all ranges, and with the kind of elite pilots you'll find in assault OmniMechs in the 3140s, you can practically surgically dissect 'Mechs thanks to the targeting computer.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2015, 19:51:29 by Kojak »

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2015, 19:23:52 »
This is a 'mech, that when I see it on the other side of the field, I give it some respect.  In my experience (and honestly, I haven't played against it a lot, but just enough to make the statement) either a really green or really salty player takes them.  The green player dies pretty quickly due to the issues that have been mentioned while the salty player is annoying, knows his/her ride is a heavy hiding in an assault 'mechs body, and knows how to work his/her weapons + maneuverability for all they are worth.

I think the story in the opening of Warden Clans highlights the Executioner:  "Do you like to gamble?"

And the new configs that came out in NTNU are bonkers, though they pay for that in BV at least. 

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2015, 20:51:29 »
What's the matter Yote?  Used to clan assaults with more guns that sense? ;)

It's a scalpel not a hammer.  Which is weird at 95 tons.

Grey

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2015, 02:53:15 »
Excellent article. Armour aside this is something of a favourite due to the mobility and I've had a fair bit of success using the B, C, H and E as a result. The A I use with greener pilots because the pulse lasers and jump capacity make it fairly forgiving, and the Prime, as much as I think it's oversinked to ridiculous levels, is actually a decent design if used cleverly.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2015, 07:08:51 »
The prime is showing it's age post Jihad.  Revival...it's almost as scary as the Warhawk and Direwolf because it just moves so well.  The ability to rock 35 damage at freaky long range in the 3050's makes this thing scary to the IS.  Considering how mobile it is, and how much armor it has (light for an assault but the speed and armor combined is nuts) it's a tough opponent in 3050.

I've always found that in Revival games the clan mechs that do best are the balanced ones.  Timber Wolves, Summoners, Gargoyles, and Executioners live far longer than Warhawks, Dire Wolves, and Hellbringers.  The right mix of guns armor and speed.  And by right mix of guns I mean the right weapons to match the mech.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #20 on: 24 March 2015, 20:48:39 »
Decades after its introduction to the game, I still find opponents who underestimate this mech's maneuverability and firepower.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #21 on: 24 March 2015, 21:05:18 »
I always felt the Ex & the Warhawk should have changed tonnages.
The Ex could be so much better at 85 tons while the Hawk could use the extra tonnage to compensate for all the fixed DHS & TC.
Not that I was much of a fan of either of them, they both did Ok for me but being a Wolf I tended to focus on the DW & Garg.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #22 on: 24 March 2015, 21:19:25 »
You all might be vaguely aware that I'm a Jade Falcon fan. In the invasion era, the Falcons rely on mobility above all else- Lokis, Thors, and Ullers are great for that (especially Thors), and adding in the Fire Falcon, Black Lanner, and Cougar to the mix later only help that. Even the Night Gyr and Turkina feature fixed jump jets. It makes it all the more pity that the Falcons don't regularly use the Gladiator- this is a beast right up the Falcons' alley. Quick, agile, with (mostly) good configurations based around a long-to-medium range paradigm. I always enjoy sneaking the rare one into my Falcon formations here and there as the heavyweight support for a rapid advance, particularly if the terrain looks rough or urban.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 24 March 2015, 21:20:42 »
I always loved this mech.  No it can't slug it out with other mechs in it class but it does not have to.  It can easily rack up a +2TMM, carries a decent hole puncher.  Putting a elite pilot in one is almost wrong.  The newer configs are just nasty.  I had one run 10 hexs, and still hit with its Iheavy large lasers, and streaks.  throw in the targeting computer  and it get worse.  In that game my Executioner blow out a loki with a back shot, trashed a grand summoner, and due to a skid took out a direwolfs leg, stood up and blew the back out of that mech.   It was able to leave the field, with more damage done by the skid then actual weapons fire. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: 24 March 2015, 22:45:37 »
Not that I was much of a fan of either of them, they both did Ok for me but being a Wolf I tended to focus on the DW & Garg.
Funny, I always ignored the Garg until more recently because the Executioner existed.

Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #25 on: 24 March 2015, 23:23:48 »
What's the matter Yote?  Used to clan assaults with more guns that sense? ;)

It's a scalpel not a hammer.  Which is weird at 95 tons.

While a scalpel is the usual description. Putting small amounts of damage in the correct place is certainly correct, but I am not sure it explains things fully. For example a Summoner puts similar damage in the correct place too. What the Executioner buys with its assault frame is armour. Armour (and internal structure) a heavy 'Mech can't carry. So while a Summoner can get into more places than an Executioner, the Executioner will get there in one piece.

I always loved this mech.  No it can't slug it out with other mechs in it class but it does not have to.  It can easily rack up a +2TMM, carries a decent hole puncher.  Putting a elite pilot in one is almost wrong.  The newer configs are just nasty.  I had one run 10 hexs, and still hit with its Iheavy large lasers, and streaks.  throw in the targeting computer  and it get worse.  In that game my Executioner blow out a loki with a back shot, trashed a grand summoner, and due to a skid took out a direwolfs leg, stood up and blew the back out of that mech.   It was able to leave the field, with more damage done by the skid then actual weapons fire. 

I long felt that the Executioner was deadly enough with standard tech. See the G as an example. While I never feared the MASC the thought of adding a super charger was too risky. Playtesting the I changed that idea. 8 hexes gives you striking range. 10 hexes gives you positioning. So, you can break cover and get into effective range from 8 hexes. 10 hexes gets you behind your target.
I've always found that in Revival games the clan mechs that do best are the balanced ones.  Timber Wolves, Summoners, Gargoyles, and Executioners live far longer than Warhawks, Dire Wolves, and Hellbringers.  The right mix of guns armor and speed.  And by right mix of guns I mean the right weapons to match the mech.

A Warhawk or Dire Wolf has the guns to get into trouble. The Executioner has the mobility to get out of trouble.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #26 on: 24 March 2015, 23:26:10 »
Problem with this guy is the double charge it gets for jumping + MASC. The BV is way off the mark for that reason and there hasn't been a correction to this oversight. That being said, almost all of these configurations are overpriced and not competitive if using BV. If using tonnage/skill-sum, you have a big monster on your side.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 25 March 2015, 02:51:02 »
I'm glad folks liked the review, and no one complained about my use of the NATO Phonetic alphabet! Huzzah!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #28 on: 25 March 2015, 05:13:39 »
@Jellico, I made that point in another post.  It maneuvers and does damage like the best clan heavies, but carries assault armor.  It's a trick no other mech in the game repeats.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 25 March 2015, 05:27:10 »
I'm glad they didn't burden the Executioner with IJJ's.  But if they did they would cut into its already somewhat limited podspace (that and I loathe the idea of IJJ's on a big assault mech, far too heavy for what they offer, 20 tonnes to jump 6? No thank you!) that the Executioner has managed to work so well with.  Sure its not got the biggest of guns or huge globs of them, but what pod space it does have it generally makes very good use of and there's no real donkey configs (Ultra/LB-2 spam ones for example and a thing I just noticed, there's no missile boat config).  To get the mobility of the Executioner and retain its firepower and flexibility even with more modern stuff is tricky which is probably why we'll never see an Executioner II like we have with the many flavours of Mad Dog/Cat/Summoner/Hellbringer.

And thats a good point JadeHellbie, considering the Falcon's love of mobility and ranged combat (hell just look at the Shrike...you could call that a Executioner II...replace those stupid UAC's with a gauss and you're laughing..well..cackling) you'd expect they would be making grabby hands at any Executioner that came up for grabs or get building them for themselves. 

And now i'm thinking if the Falcons did kinda base the Shrike on the Executioner. (yes I know its basically a hyper pimped out and IMMA BURDified Onager but still..)
« Last Edit: 25 March 2015, 05:43:52 by marauder648 »

Register