Author Topic: Outland Models Railroad- anyone have experience with their buildings?  (Read 2844 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
As the question says, anyone have experience with their buildings?  I bought a variety of their product lines to see what they were like- some are 3D printed while others are cut. 

As an example, one I bought was-

This is 3D printed z-scale, and assembles pretty easy though it is a bit thin for this type of building.  Due to the clear layer behind, I was planning to paint the exterior pieces before full assembly.  I was wondering if I should wash the pieces like I would minis to get off any chemicals.  Some of the buildings have really weird colors printed- like peach & blue- though this could pass as a concrete office building.  I also thought about putting a thin layer of paint over the inside of the clear- say a thinned blue or yellow.

The other thing is some of them seem to have the 3D building lines, so I am not sure about doing anything to remove them.

The n-scale stuff is built a bit differently-

plain

fancy

The first one screams to be painted IMO, and to have things done for the windows.  I have shiny paper that can back them, or colored film I can put in to be like the fancy version.

Just for notes- the first building is a 3 or 4 level building, the bottom one (since I assembled it) is a 6 level building with that small roof room adding another level for a single hex.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
Have purchased several of the z-scale buildings but yet to assemble.

DFA Wargaming did a review of their stuff for BT:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxi3dBiUcFs

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Thanks for this- he actually has two of the larger buildings I got . . . I honestly do not find the Z/N scale to be too visually jarring since you will find office buildings with outsized doors anyway.

The video definitely offered some pointers and using a textured spray on that 1st building is something I am going to do.  Only thing I did not notice was which type of glue he used- except saying he did not glue roof & bases, lol.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
I have a bunch of them. Their early Z scale models are nicely detailed but they will take a little finesse as some of the parts suffer from warpage, but they build up nice if you don't mind taking some extra time. Their newer stuff, like the ruined buildings, are very crisp and detailed one piece castings. If you check their gallery page you will see some of the stuff I built specifically for Battletech.

Register