Author Topic: BattleTech: First Succession War  (Read 74798 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: BattleTech: First Succession War
« Reply #360 on: 31 July 2016, 22:24:56 »
Last minute, needed archival art to fit a specific shape. Didn't have the luxury of time to make sure the art was 1000% relevant. It's a cool piece of art, that simple.

Point taken, but it's still a design that had been completely expunged from the DCMS by the time of this conflict.  They should be Dragons.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
« Reply #361 on: 08 August 2016, 16:52:48 »
Finally got my copy.

Nicely done.  Wish there was more detail on ground combat, but overall awesome.  Looking forward to more.  Bought enjoyed the Merc Manual as well.

Wasp artwork is very, very cool.  Best-to-date if not ever.

Wolverine is disappointing.  Overall perfection right up until the HD mounted laser...what a shame to remove the iconic turret.  At least it could've been mounted below/center-lined with the cockpit viewport.  Other than that glaring, "character" changing oversight, its perfect.

Hopefully the mini can be modified without to much trouble. 

Seriously well done sourcebook; keep up the excellent work!

"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #362 on: 15 August 2016, 12:28:09 »
A little late to this discussion, but I just got the book at my FLGS.
Is it me, or is there way less art in this book than the other Historical series? I was really suprised when none of the leaders had portrait art. I liked all the mech art, but I felt that the lack of other art and page after page of text left me feeling a bit like I was reading a textbook rather than a Sci Fi game supplement.
I enjoyed the writing and the over all production of the book, I just wish there was a bit more art.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #363 on: 15 August 2016, 13:05:33 »
A little late to this discussion, but I just got the book at my FLGS.
Is it me, or is there way less art in this book than the other Historical series?

It wasn't you. The art budget was slashed.

-

RomulusDC

• Corporal
« Reply #364 on: 15 August 2016, 13:30:24 »
I guess in the interest of getting books out the door, I can live with reduced art for a few productions (I wonder if this was the same case for Alpha Strike: Mercenaries, as it felt lean and recycled what was there), but I hope at some point we can get back to exploring the BT universe through art as well as word.
Bring Back Jeff Laubenstein!!!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #365 on: 15 August 2016, 14:16:15 »

No. Wow, what an insult to the current portrait artists.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #366 on: 17 August 2016, 13:20:08 »
 [copper] I'm not sure how much more discussion this thread has left, but I also want to remind folks that everyone here is welcome to their opinions - including their preferences in artists and art styles. 

Carry on, friends.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #367 on: 17 August 2016, 14:00:42 »

Big noses and weird proportions for everyone!

-

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #368 on: 17 August 2016, 14:13:25 »
Jeff's got nothin' on Tim Bradstreet at age 20.  Who says you can't put a Takooma on the front lines?
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #369 on: 18 August 2016, 01:41:51 »
I had one of those moments back when Tim Bradstreet had basically made a career out of drawing the Punisher standing in front of a wall holding a gun, and I realised he hinted those skills drawing Shadowrunners standing in front of things holding guns back in the 90s
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #370 on: 18 August 2016, 02:56:45 »
You can never judge a artist by one set of work, for example;
Jae Lee on Young Blood: Strike Files
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/88/61/26/886126c7ab58808914f16efaf7a9eebf.jpg

Jae Lee on The Dark Tower comic adaptation
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q1g_X6ngxSM/T9DQVKcI7SI/AAAAAAAACBA/u1ddlcDPvfQ/s1600/DarkTowerInterior.jpg

Addition: I love BT's current art talent, amazing work

« Last Edit: 18 August 2016, 13:52:06 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com