Author Topic: BattleTech: First Succession War  (Read 74349 times)

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
Re: BattleTech: First Succession War
« Reply #240 on: 14 May 2016, 12:47:01 »
Wow, epic book. Great writing. Many kudos to the team!!!!
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #241 on: 14 May 2016, 21:54:52 »
so don't know if this has been answered yet, but does this book provided all the info needed to run a Inner Sphere at War campaign in the 1st succession war.
i.e generic units, force construction/OOB write-ups etc.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2016, 21:56:37 by victor_shaw »

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #242 on: 14 May 2016, 22:15:18 »
so don't know if this has been answered yet, but does this book provided all the info needed to run a Inner Sphere at War campaign in the 1st succession war.
i.e generic units, force construction/OOB write-ups etc.

Yep!  Regiment weights and generic battalion makeups are all there.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #243 on: 15 May 2016, 01:20:10 »
Is there more, like technological research and espionage and sabotage rules?

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #244 on: 15 May 2016, 04:01:59 »
I was looking at the table entitled "Shipbuilding Casualties of the First Succession War", which I'd taken on first run-through to be a list of those major manufacturing sites that'd been destroyed, decommissioned or crippled - but I notice that in the Draconis Combine section, the Stellar Trek plant at Chatham is listed as having survived. I'm not sure if that means that the list is meant to be a list of all of the major shipbuilding companies and their facilities - in which case, the Port Sydney Naval Shipyards at Alarion are missing, as they were producing Commonwealths at the time - or if it's only meant to be destroyed/crippled/shutdown plants, in which cast the Stellar Trek plant at Chatham possibly shouldn't be on there because it survived...

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #245 on: 15 May 2016, 04:27:17 »
It may mean that the yards at Chatham did come under fire, but due to focused rebuilding efforts and limited damage it was able to make good it's damages and continue standard production after a relative short period of reconstruction.  This being compared to the others that suffered severe enough damage that they couldn't be rebuilt.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #246 on: 15 May 2016, 08:49:47 »
My only comment is no information on Active Warships for the period owned and operated by the major periphery states.

Sure they probably didn't have a lot compared to the successor states, but still, what's a couple more lines?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #247 on: 15 May 2016, 09:48:24 »
My only comment is no information on Active Warships for the period owned and operated by the major periphery states.

Sure they probably didn't have a lot compared to the successor states, but still, what's a couple more lines?

I agree. More info about the strengths of the house fleets maybe what a squadron would of looked like would of been neat.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #248 on: 15 May 2016, 09:52:14 »
I notice that in the Draconis Combine section, the Stellar Trek plant at Chatham is listed as having survived.

...if it's only meant to be destroyed/crippled/shutdown plants, in which cast the Stellar Trek plant at Chatham possibly shouldn't be on there because it survived...

It shouldn't be--that's my fault. The original draft listed shipyards that survived, but it was intended to be a list only of those that were damaged or destroyed.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #249 on: 15 May 2016, 10:03:20 »
Page 101: ...while the Taurian Concordat did have an operational WarShip at its disposal (the Concordat-class TCS Parin), the vessel never left Flannagan’s Nebula.

Since the passage was discussing the total military strength of the Taurian Concordat and Magistracy of Canopus, then we can probably assume that that one warship was it for both sides. So unless the Outworlds had their own warship(s), that would be it for the periphery.

There is also the possibility of other WarShips that were either too badly crippled during the periphery uprising or had to be mothballed because of the economic crash that followed. At the very least, the Taurians had another Vincent hidden away in non-operable condition. Even so, I doubt there's going to be much more than those two hulls floating around the periphery in anything close to a usable state.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #250 on: 15 May 2016, 10:06:07 »
What about their little crippled . . . Vincent?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #251 on: 15 May 2016, 14:18:23 »
Since the passage was discussing the total military strength of the Taurian Concordat and Magistracy of Canopus, then we can probably assume that that one warship was it for both sides. So unless the Outworlds had their own warship(s), that would be it for the periphery.

Yup. Only one WarShip operational in ALL of the Periphery. And it was a Concordat boat.

You're welcome.

-

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #252 on: 15 May 2016, 14:43:18 »
Beat me to it.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: 15 May 2016, 15:14:16 »
Yup. Only one WarShip operational in ALL of the Periphery. And it was a Concordat boat.

You're welcome.

-

So... in the supposed peace of the Star League, both still managed to lose all but one of the ships that survived the Reunification War?

Or were those lost during the uprising?

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #254 on: 15 May 2016, 16:06:53 »
Uprising losses. Pretty much all periphery fleets were annihilated by the SLDF.

-

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #255 on: 16 May 2016, 07:28:25 »
Which makes a certain amount of sense.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #256 on: 16 May 2016, 12:41:34 »
I added up the percent remaining from the LCAF deployment table. They are already down to about a total of 70 regiments which is close to their 3025 level. I am curious to see where they are back up to by the second succession war.

I think some sort of 3sw product would be cool. When did they start writing regiment strength levels? It would be awesome to have them for other time periods like immediately before operation REVIVAL. Play out those battles missing lances from the start.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #257 on: 17 May 2016, 06:55:18 »
First let me say "Great Book"
Fluff sections = great
ISW section = this is were some of the issues are.
1. missing warship stats and rules
2. new factions abilities not in book "Abilities in italics indicate new or modified abilities detailed in the Intelligence Operations section of The Second Succession War."?
3. rulers need some game play info (how does Minoru Kurita effect units he control etc.)
4. the promises Inner Sphere map not in download section.

P.S. the charts at the back are just what we needed to make Abstract Combat System, and Strategic BattleForce playable. Just need to make some for other eras.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #258 on: 17 May 2016, 07:19:48 »
1. Nope, doesn't exist for ISW yet.
2. Was cut for space, will be included in the next book. I thought it best to include the abilities there however, less kludgey than having both 1stSw and 2ndSW abilities in the next book.
3. Why? That's not part of ISW?
4. Both 1stSW and 3025 will be uploaded before the book streets.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #259 on: 17 May 2016, 08:15:42 »
I absolutely love this book and can't wait to see the treatment that the 2nd SW gets.  That being said, with all of the detail given, the one mystery that caught my eye first is "What happened to Bones?"

Seriously, is he okay?

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #260 on: 17 May 2016, 10:13:00 »
I love the book.
I just wish there was more info on the Fleets and the Fleet battles.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #261 on: 17 May 2016, 10:14:35 »
I love the book.
I just wish there was more info on the Fleets and the Fleet battles.

Well, maybe if you ask the writer nicely...
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #262 on: 17 May 2016, 14:42:18 »
3. Why? That's not part of ISW?
3. I kind of got the idea that the leaders of the houses were the source some of the house abilities for the most part and so like superior doctrine would come from the leader but i could be wrong.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #263 on: 17 May 2016, 15:02:17 »
Ah, I see.
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #264 on: 20 May 2016, 02:21:40 »
I hadn't realised until I was re-reading some bits of First Succession War more slowly just how profoundly satisfying the unit lists are. Thanks to the detail in the book and how it's set out, combined with what's around in the Field Report 2765 series, I can look at all these units that were around in the First Succession War, and see them in terms of which were around up until 2765, and which were raised in the big military build-ups between 2765 and 2785, and how many of those were SLDF units under new colours, and then how many more units were raised during the First Succession War. It's... well, as I said before, profoundly satisfying, and yet really concise too. Nifty.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #265 on: 20 May 2016, 11:35:38 »
It's... well, as I said before, profoundly satisfying, and yet really concise too. Nifty.

Even editing the thing, I was fairly stunned at the work Herb (and others!) put into the comprehensive unit lists.

If you've read the book, you've seen that there are a couple of tables providing a simple count of the number of regiments each House possessed in a given year and inherited from the SLDF. At one point, I noted that they didn't quite jive--two different numbers for a particular year, etc.

Reviewing the notes with Herb, I figured the fix would be to just pick one number or the other and make the tables consistent. Oh, no. He was able to arrive at a third, correct number by counting up each individual unit, because he had accounted for all of them.

So many games would just hand-wave and fudge stuff like that. It's a bad thing to get too hung up on--the game's the thing, after all, and getting too pedantic is no fun. But with the work already done, it was amazing to see it in action.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #266 on: 20 May 2016, 20:54:55 »
Reviewing the notes with Herb, I figured the fix would be to just pick one number or the other and make the tables consistent. Oh, no. He was able to arrive at a third, correct number by counting up each individual unit, because he had accounted for all of them.

The big kudos for that list largely went to the team that handed it off to me. Chris Hartford, I think, made the original one available to me, but I believe it was compiled by volunteers. The "night of counting", was just what we did during the final editing phase...

-

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #267 on: 01 June 2016, 01:26:40 »
OK, I finally brought this, but some questions about the ISW section.
  • On page 164, the World Values Table (2786) compared to the table in IO every world type except Other has a times 2 production multiplier, Other worlds get a 2.5 times. Is there a reason for this? Like Other worlds should be 2.5 RP in IO?
  • I'm guessing the numbers in brackets on the Major Factory Worlds Table (2786) on page 165 are for factories that have been destroyed?
  • In relation to those damaged factories, in many cases I can not see a reason to do so, Luthien is an example, and costs are undefined
  • Terran Hegemony worlds are missing from that list, as are those of several other factions, defunct or not
  • New Combat Command Cost Table on page 166, does this apply for all eras, replacing the table in IO?
  • By Artillery Battery is a Company meant? Or a Battalion?
  • The Generic vehicle formations used for the factional Combat Command tables from page 170 onwards give almost all large scale vehicle formations the ability to transport infantry, in fact the generic medium vehicle formation can move more then an entire regiment (just) and faster then it's integral transports, why aren't there infantry assigned to these formations?
  • The FedSuns table one page 172 has Valkyrie Lances and Companies, why where stats for these generated? And why aren't they used at a higher level?
  • Is it possible to get a list of the units used to generate the Lance level lists?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #268 on: 01 June 2016, 09:40:58 »
A battery is the equivalent of a company or troop, its just equipment/role specific.  Its like in the US their guidons are red, cav are yellow and I think infantry are blue . . . Calling something a battery lets me immediately know its artillery of some sort, or a troop lets me know its cav.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #269 on: 01 June 2016, 12:28:09 »
Cav guidons  are diagonally split red and white thank you very much!  But yes, arty and cav have special names for some formations.  Battery = artillery company.  Troop = cav company.  Squadron = cav battalion.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Register