Poll

Which Black Knight would you choose for your factory?

a) "Royal" BL-6b-KNT Black Knight
b) "Clanbuster" BL-9-KNT Black Knight
c) "Davion Tarcomped" BL-12-KNT Black Knight

Author Topic: Choose your Black Knight  (Read 12614 times)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Choose your Black Knight
« on: 04 August 2012, 12:11:28 »
Let's pretend that your state has a 'Mech plant producing Black Knight BattleMech. During Star League it was standard BL-6-KNT, then the Succession Wars downgrade BL-7-KNT. With the recovery of Lostech the production of regular BL-6-KNTs resumed. But now, for modern era, something better is needed. Your intelligence service gained access to plans for three different high-performance models:

a) BL-6b-KNT
- originally earmarked for SLDF Royal Divisions. Primary armament consists of Kinslaughter ER PPC and two Large Pulse lasers. For short-range defence you can use four Medium lasers and one Small laser. Beagle Active Probe protects you against ambushes.

b) BL-9-KNT
- ComStar upgrade for Battle of Tukayyid. Magna Sunspot ER PPC gives the 'Mech good reach, but the medium range is where this 'Mech really shines - it is armed with three Large lasers - two standard ones and one pulse model. There are four Medium pulses for point-blank defence. To capitalize on Clan disdain for physical attacks, left-arm hatchet was mounted. It deals 15 points of damage with each swing. The only weak point is extralight engine which was needed to free mass for weapons and added armour. This variant has the best protection of all three models.

c) BL-12-KNT
- House Davion model, it has all weapons of standard Black Knight (except Small laser) but with PPC and Medium lasers upgraded to ER models. Targeting computer adds -1 bonus, but weighs six tons.

Heat is no longer the problem it used to be since a) and c) are equipped with 16 DHS. b) has 15 DHS.

So which one will you select for your 'Mech factory?

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
Re: Choose your Black Knight
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2012, 12:30:04 »
For my factory? The Clanbuster. XL engine ensures I'll be seeing repeat business.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

hawkins180

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2012, 12:51:13 »
My choice is the 6b-KNT, my "House" is the SLDF  O0
"Okay, credit where it's due: for a little idiot built specifically to come up with stupid, unworkable plans, that was a pretty well-laid trap. " GLaDOS

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2012, 12:56:09 »
Davion model.  I want to make tarcomps too.  Diversify. 

Wolverine-7SK

• Lieutenant
  • You all Rock!
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2012, 13:48:24 »
I chose the "Royal" version. XLs are too expensive and make you more vulnerable. The BAP makes for a superior command mech. Of course the LPLs are really not great back up weapons for long range,but awesome when you get close and personal.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2012, 13:53:47 »
Someone needs to make one with ERLLs and ERPPC.  Until that time, I'll take the Davion -12- model.  I'd rather have a -1 for all my weapons than a few pulse lasers.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2012, 14:22:46 »
I want a BAP to monitor my remote sensors. I also want my 'Mechs to be cheap and plenty.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2012, 15:01:56 »
Chalk me up for the Davion model. I like both reach AND good TNs and I prize better TNs over greater firepower. The Davion BK seems like the best compromise.

ckosacranoid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2012, 15:05:01 »
i chose none of the above. my idea for the knight is he is sitting with no arms and legs screaming about ripping your legs off with his teeth.....sorry. had to post it.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2012, 15:09:34 »
BL-12-KNT . tcomp ,range and SFE. Repeat customers only come if they are happy.
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2012, 16:26:06 »
The Davion variant. The Royal is too slow for having only an ERPPC outside 10 hexes, and the Clan-buster does not gain enough to justify the cost of the XL engine.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

calendraug

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2012, 18:27:05 »
 Have used all of them clanbuster on tukkyid , bknt 12 during jihad and now using royal version during operation chieftan all good O0

imperator

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2012, 18:39:36 »
I like the clan buster.  To me it has a great range profile and I love close combat.  It's armor is nothing to sneeze at either.
Their is no problem Jump Jets and an assault class auto-cannon can't handle.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #13 on: 04 August 2012, 19:29:10 »
The -12KNT wins for me hands down. Best reach, best endurance, best to-hit numbers
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

JoeJones

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 04 August 2012, 19:35:48 »
I went with the Clanbuster.

I enjoy close combat (the Ti Ts'ang is my favorite mech, after all), and the thought of a 'mech specifically designed to annoy & destroy the Clans is not a bad thing, either.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #15 on: 05 August 2012, 03:27:32 »
Got to be the 12 tbh, it's served me well enough to know i can trust it.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

markhall

• Lieutenant
  • "The Button's Stuck!"
« Reply #16 on: 05 August 2012, 03:48:17 »
Clanbuster. Ain't no Finer model.

And If I can source some TSM. Then a few limited editions should help increase sales.

Demos

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 05 August 2012, 05:00:17 »
Tarcomp-12.

For marketing purposes the royal would be a close second.
"WoB - Seekers of Serenity, Protectors of Human Purity, Enforcers of Blake's Will!"

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 05 August 2012, 11:14:18 »
Easily the Davion 12 with the targetting computer .

Standard engine and a -1 to hit at range 23  Yes please .
The 6 KNT has no ER weapons T/C or pulse lasers .

The 9 has an XL engine combined with a bunch of pulse lasers  and
an axe.
In terrain where long range shots can be made it'll have that XL engine destroyed
before it get's a chance to close to pulse laser range .

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 05 August 2012, 11:23:08 »
I'm a sucker for the Royals.  The Davion one can be argued is better but I like the Royals!

Terrion

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: 05 August 2012, 14:13:49 »
I voted for the -12. I don't like the LPLs on the Royal or Clanbuster.  The IS LPL is a niche weapon, and that niche is not slow, ground-bound heavies.

Someone needs to make one with ERLLs and ERPPC. 

I used to think this as well, but it's hard to fit enough sinks to handle that much heat in a 4/6 mech with ES. Plus, I think that the ER PPC and ER-LL are really awkward to use in practice - they're too similar to have distinct brackets or roles. Using the ER-PPC at long, LLs at medium and MLs at short actually works out better IMO. I'd also take triple-ER LLs (with the attnedant weight savings) or three standard PPCs instead.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #21 on: 05 August 2012, 14:50:37 »
The -12, because I do not like the LPLs on the Royal or the Clanbuster.  Also I consider 4/6 to be too slow to use a hatchet except in close terrain.

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2012, 18:24:45 »
The Royal. I find the Davion version to be a very cynical design, and of a style I would prefer to see less of added to the game.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2012, 19:36:50 »
 I could sell the Clanbuster to the Free Worlds League, Lyran Commonwealth, mercenary units and the former Republic states quite easily right now.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #24 on: 05 August 2012, 23:23:07 »
I would say the -6b.  Granted it does not have the reach, but you should also have your techs work on a nifty after-purchase market modification kit to replace the LLs for ERLLs.  Depending on the timeframe, the after-market modification could also include LFF armor though perhaps instead of ERML in the arms, MPL would do better.

The main reason?  Folks who are buying on the open market are probably not looking for a flashy (XL/rare weapons) design, instead something durable but well armed will be what gets attention.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #25 on: 05 August 2012, 23:30:54 »
My personal preference is the -6b, though, honestly, I'd love to see the LPLs swapped out for snub-nose PPCs for extra SLDF Royal Goodness.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #26 on: 06 August 2012, 00:45:43 »
Clanbuster, works very nicely in its sweet spot range wise

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 06 August 2012, 05:07:06 »
I'd absolutely love the Clanbuster if it would drop that Hatchet for another standard Large Laser.  I've never liked physical attacks, even if a 15 point is nothing to sneeze at.  With three LLs, you can still engage with the ERPPC and two of the LLs at range without overheating significantly, and as soon as the range drops to ten hexes, you've got three LLs and a LPL to lay into the opponent.

Although, playing around with the design, I think my favorite thing to do would be rip out everything larger than two tons and replace them with large lasers, max the armor, add a heatsink, and fill the last two tons with a fifth MPL.  Turns it into a withering energy boat of death.  Five LLs isn't anything to sneeze at, especially if firing all five of them only puts up 8+ on the heat scale, which is a fairly manageable heat spike for putting 40 damage down range.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 06 August 2012, 08:28:55 »
I'd absolutely love the Clanbuster if it would drop that Hatchet for another standard Large Laser.  I've never liked physical attacks, even if a 15 point is nothing to sneeze at.  With three LLs, you can still engage with the ERPPC and two of the LLs at range without overheating significantly, and as soon as the range drops to ten hexes, you've got three LLs and a LPL to lay into the opponent.

Although, playing around with the design, I think my favorite thing to do would be rip out everything larger than two tons and replace them with large lasers, max the armor, add a heatsink, and fill the last two tons with a fifth MPL.  Turns it into a withering energy boat of death.  Five LLs isn't anything to sneeze at, especially if firing all five of them only puts up 8+ on the heat scale, which is a fairly manageable heat spike for putting 40 damage down range.

thats just WRONG!
I like it!
Still have room for TSM? Then you dont need a hatchet, just punch twice or kick a leg off
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #29 on: 06 August 2012, 10:03:32 »
The -12, because I do not like the LPLs on the Royal or the Clanbuster.  Also I consider 4/6 to be too slow to use a hatchet except in close terrain.

+1
I even consider 4/6 too slow to use the LPLs effectivly, especially if you are aiming for faster targets.

Register