Author Topic: Generic Liao and and Kurita companies circa early 31st century.  (Read 1517 times)

abou

• Captain
So in much the same vein of my previous thread where I detailed Marik and Davion companies, I wanted to come up with companies for Liao and Kurita.  The rules were simple: a full company totaling 600 tons made of units common or characteristic to the Successor state; and units that I hopefully already had miniatures for.  The idea is that these companies would be composed of units likely to appear in the late 3rd Succession War.  600 tons was chosen because it would average 50 tons per unit placing the company squarely in the medium bracket.

Kurita was an easy company to come up with.  Add Panthers, Dragons, and Jenners while avoiding most mediums and you're pretty much there.  Granted, there are three medium 'mechs present, but they are fairly common to Kurita or identified with them in one way or another.

Command
- Dragon
- Shadow Hawk K
- Panther
- Panther

Scout/Pursuit
- Phoenix Hawk K
- Jenner
- Jenner
- Quickdraw (although an Ost series is tempting)

Attack/Fire
- Archer
- Warhammer
- Dragon
- Whitworth

Now Liao, on the other hand, was hell!  I'm a Davion player and so Liao forces are not something I'm knowledgeable about.  I had to do a lot of research and really strained to find 'mechs that would fit and were justifiable.  So here we go.

Command
- Thunderbolt -- common and originally designed by the CapCon
- BattleMaster -- reportedly plentiful in the CCAF before the 4th SW
- Hunchback -- a favored 'mech due to its "all or nothing" philosophy
- Vindicator -- one of the few designs produced in any number still in the CapCon

Fire
- Catapult -- common in the CCAF despite being no longer in production
- Crusader L -- the Liao variant was a gimme
- Blackjack -- a common, if unappreciated, 'mech in the CCAF
- Vindicator

Scout
- Clint -- as with many others, a rare 'mech that happens to be common with the CCAF
- Wasp/Stinger -- common machines generally
- Stinger
- Wolverine -- produced in the CapCon until the loss of Nanking in the 4th SW

If I had not kept myself to the 600 ton rule, it would have been admittedly much easier.  A third Vindicator to replace the Blackjack is always a possibility, but I decided for some variety.  It would have been nice if other light designs were common to the CapCon other than the Urbanmech, which was too slow.  A Firestarter was a possibility, but just didn't seem right.  I imagine some will have different ideas so I'm willing to hear them.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Generic Liao and and Kurita companies circa early 31st century.
« Reply #1 on: 18 October 2012, 00:52:56 »

Archer -2K, Warhammer -6K, Catapult -K2, Spider, and Wasp -1K to add more Snake flavor to the DCMS company.  Gladiator -4R if you want a rare Snake design.  Daboku if you want some Snake Succession Wars high-tech.

Marauder -3L, Warhammer -6L, and Wasp -1L to add more Cappie flavor to the CCAF company.  Pillager -1N, Striker -2C, and Firebee -2E if you want some rare Cappie designs.  Cataphract -1X and Raven -1X if you want some Cappie Succession Wars high-tech.

Hope this helps.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #2 on: 18 October 2012, 05:37:06 »
In addition to what has been mentioned:

- If you want save 5 tons in the Capellan company for something, you could swap the Battlemaster for a Victor, a Charger CGR-1A5 or a Goliath. (The Charger version has an intro date of 3023, so it might not fit your setup.)

- Personally, I would like to have a Hunchback instead of the Shadow Hawk K in the Drac company. Especially since the Hunchie is one of the few mediums they like.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

abou

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2012, 11:42:43 »
Unfortunately, some of the high-tech stuff and variants don't exist until post-3025.  I will say though, I totally forgot about the K variants for Kurita.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2012, 12:04:35 »
 I would have swapped the Dragon out for a 4J Hunchback in the fire lance. It combines strong defensive firepower with effective enough fire support abilities. The 4N is another choice, but has half the LRM abilities. Still the AC/5 is actually suprisingly effective for sustained barrages and can even be used for some light AAA if you give it FLAK ammo.
 EDIT: This choice would really be a matter of personality. I might actually take the 4N over the J now that I think about it. The N happens to have the same long range firepower of the Dragon with stronger defensive firepower and is still capable of keeping up with the Archer.
« Last Edit: 18 October 2012, 12:44:54 by Minemech »

Register