Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner II: Operation Eisenfaust  (Read 182079 times)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Re: Kampfgruppe Steiner II: Operation Eisenfaust
« Reply #300 on: 03 May 2013, 15:31:26 »
You certainly can put them all together. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. As far as Mechs go. You can put anything from the 3025 in there also.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2013, 11:39:29 by Col.Hengist »
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #301 on: 24 May 2013, 11:43:04 »
I was just reading over Kit's article on the Zeus. Such an iconic mech for us. I'm just wondering which is every ones favorite? 6S, 7T? Zeus Stacy? It's hard for me to pick really. I love the 6S because it's what i cut my teeth on but the Stacy is pure nasty.

What's every ones thoughts?

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #302 on: 24 May 2013, 11:46:28 »
9T and X3 are my favorites, but in level one I'll use those as well... I want to try out the command cockpit version and the other from 3050u as it looks nasty!

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #303 on: 24 May 2013, 11:54:16 »
Me too. I need to get mega mek so i can try this stuff more often.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #304 on: 24 May 2013, 12:04:44 »
I was just reading over Kit's article on the Zeus. Such an iconic mech for us. I'm just wondering which is every ones favorite? 6S, 7T? Zeus Stacy? It's hard for me to pick really. I love the 6S because it's what i cut my teeth on but the Stacy is pure nasty.

-7T? Perhaps ZEU-9T?

What's every ones thoughts?

My favorite is ZEU-9S2 as it does everything the old Zeus was good at - providing fire support.

After that comes ZEU-9T as it provides really nice ballance of weapons, and it has got a good reach.

ZEU-10WB is not a bad 'Mech, but I am not sure that the XL Gyro is the best thing on the medium-range BattleMech. But overal it's a good design.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #305 on: 24 May 2013, 12:18:01 »
ZEU-6T where it swaps out the ac5 for a ppc... not 7T.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #306 on: 24 May 2013, 12:22:26 »
ZEU-6T where it swaps out the ac5 for a ppc... not 7T.

Yes, ZEU-6T was a nice upgrade.

What do you think about ZEU-6Y Zeus? I have used it a few times, more for fun than because of its combat value.  :)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #307 on: 24 May 2013, 14:30:26 »
Yes, ZEU-6T was a nice upgrade.

What do you think about ZEU-6Y Zeus? I have used it a few times, more for fun than because of its combat value.  :)

I haven't had a chance to use it yet. It looks fun. My gaming time has slowed way down lately. There's a bunch of designs i haven't had a chance to use for one reason or another. I tried that 10WB zeus once. Too much of a heat monster for me but bou does it put out the damage. I prefer the older designs with the sfe's over the xl's. I can deal with a light engine if need be though.

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #308 on: 26 May 2013, 04:54:56 »
I tried that 10WB zeus once. Too much of a heat monster for me but bou does it put out the damage. I prefer the older designs with the sfe's over the xl's. I can deal with a light engine if need be though.

Did you try the old sheet or the new sheet? Old one: standard fusion engine and insanly low on heat sinks. New one: light fusion engine and a lot of additional heat sinks. Although it is still not adept to alpha strikes, it can be used with bracket firing. The light gyro could be a problem, but if you are not afraid of lucky shots, it can be a hell of a mech.

Personally i prefer the -9T. The -9S2 is a nice supporter, but as combat unit during early 3050s i would prefer the -5T all the day over that damn pulse laser -9S. I never understood why this mech was shown with RS 3039. It has all the goodies that were shown later and works even better than the later series.

The Zeus -6Y is a lame joke. A 80-ton-mech with 3 weapons and usually less than 20 points of damage. The blazer is even more garbage than the AC 5, and the kept that crap and dropped the additional medium lasers. Sorry, this was a try to bash Steiner once more.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #309 on: 26 May 2013, 05:58:00 »
Personally i prefer the -9T. The -9S2 is a nice supporter, but as combat unit during early 3050s i would prefer the -5T all the day over that damn pulse laser -9S. I never understood why this mech was shown with RS 3039. It has all the goodies that were shown later and works even better than the later series.
I expressed the same opinion in the thread about Steiner 'Mechs.

In fact, in early 3050s when everyone was putting some Star League prototypes from the late 28th Century (such as the Nightstar, Dragon Fire or the Maelstrom) into production, it would had made sense to revive the similar ZEU-5T Zeus. Well, it didn't happen.

The Zeus -6Y is a lame joke. A 80-ton-mech with 3 weapons and usually less than 20 points of damage. The blazer is even more garbage than the AC 5, and the kept that crap and dropped the additional medium lasers. Sorry, this was a try to bash Steiner once more.

As you may see, both 'Mech can get over PSR threshold. The problem is the huge heat-inefficiency ot the Binary Laser Cannon, with which you pay for the headcapping opportunity:
ZEU-6S
- damage 5+9+8=22 (as average damage of LRM-15 is 9 points)

ZEU-6Y
- damage 5+6+12=23 (as average damage of LRM-10 is 6 points)

But you can still take ZEU-6Y onto the field "just for fun", as it is easy to use even without StratOps Quirks - even in simple 3025 game, although technically the Blazer is listed as the Experimental Tech. No special or complicated rules are really needed.

If you think it was the attempt to bash House Steiner, what should Marik players say? Their MAD-4X Marauder is hardly usable without real Advanced Rules and Quirks, and you can forget to take it into simple "Bier and Pretzels" game. So it's virtually incomparable with the ZEU-6Y.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #310 on: 26 May 2013, 08:27:50 »
I agree, that 5T should have become the production model in 3050's and the 6Y... Martian, you're making osme really good points for it. I'm going to have to try it very soon. Maybe i'll break down and DL megamek to try it.

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #311 on: 26 May 2013, 22:20:45 »
The lack of ammo for the LRMs, the AC5, and the lack of armor should make me hate the Zeus, but I just can't do it. It brings just enough to the table to be dangerous if it needs to be, but clearly its main function is (to me) enabling the commander to put up a fight if need be, but to focus on commanding.
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #312 on: 26 May 2013, 23:54:12 »
The lack of ammo for the LRMs, the AC5, and the lack of armor should make me hate the Zeus, but I just can't do it. It brings just enough to the table to be dangerous if it needs to be, but clearly its main function is (to me) enabling the commander to put up a fight if need be, but to focus on commanding.

Actually....I have always used it as part of recon units. You know: Zeus, Marauder, Griffin, Griffin. Lyrans, after all, believe in
"Recon in Force."
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Molossian Dog IIC

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the sword ... die by dysentery.
« Reply #313 on: 27 May 2013, 04:18:04 »
In the "classic" era of Battletech, each and every time I was in the process of flanking the lyran wall of steel I ran into Zeus-es, plodding along behind the main group of Atlas-es and Banshees.
And with their great reach (for the time) and acceptable mobility (again for the time) they put up quite a fight. The Zeus might not look impressive on paper, but I got a healthy respect for them. In fact i came to love to hate them.

And being lyran-only I also consider it one of the iconic Mechs of our hereditary enemy. Even back in TRO 3025 their distinctive look made them cool. I have yet to find another Mech that screams "Lyrans" to me the way the Zeus does. I still wait for a proper heir to the Zeus legacy.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #314 on: 27 May 2013, 04:28:44 »
I still think there should be a canon Zeus with a Gauss Rifle/Light Gauss Rifle replacing the AC/PPC

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #315 on: 27 May 2013, 04:53:04 »
I still think there should be a canon Zeus with a Gauss Rifle/Light Gauss Rifle replacing the AC/PPC

Actually, there are two such models:

1) ZEU-9S2 Zeus - Gauss rifle

2) Zeus Leonidas - customized ride armed with the Gauss Rifle

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #316 on: 27 May 2013, 08:28:30 »
Actually, there are two such models:

1) ZEU-9S2 Zeus - Gauss rifle

2) Zeus Leonidas - customized ride armed with the Gauss Rifle

Wow...how did I miss those? RS3050Uu? Or ONN?

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #317 on: 27 May 2013, 09:47:52 »
Wow...how did I miss those? RS3050Uu? Or ONN?

ZEU-9S2
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged - Inner Sphere

Zeus Leonidas
- Historical Turning Points: Glengarry

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #318 on: 27 May 2013, 09:59:27 »
*looks up the 9S2 and blinks* Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?! Two LRM 15's with 2 tons of ammo each?
That is actually not a bad support 'mech...for an Inner Sphere design.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #319 on: 27 May 2013, 10:23:43 »
*looks up the 9S2 and blinks* Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!?! Two LRM 15's with 2 tons of ammo each?
That is actually not a bad support 'mech...for an Inner Sphere design.

Yeah! Especially if you consider, when this 'Mech has appeared. What comparable fire-support 'Mechs did Lyrans have available at that time?

CRD-5S Crusader (65) - not enough ammo
AXM-2N Axman (65) - uses LRMs only to cover its approach
ARC-5S Archer (70) - with twin LRM-15s
LGB-0W Longbow (85) - a bit light on armor (144 points)
LGB-7Q Longbow (85) - good, but a bit slow
AWS-8R/8T Awesome (80) - not enough ammo

PPR-5S Salamander (80) has been introduced later.

So ZEU-9S2 Zeus is a quite respectable BattleMech.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #320 on: 27 May 2013, 10:56:50 »
The Zeus is still, in my opinion, one of the better support assaults(like I still consider the MAD-4A to be one of the
best Inner Sphere Assaults).

There are some 'mechs that are just darned good at their jobs. The Zeus, the Atlas, the Marauder II, the Awesome.
Gods..that is an Assault Lance that should make anyone nervous at trying to fight, regardless of the variants.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #321 on: 27 May 2013, 14:08:27 »
Adf the stalker into that bunch of FS mechs we use.

Played a game last night. We used a Zeus 5T, bushwacker L1, barghest 3T, stalker 3Fb vs.

Dragon fire 3F, victor 9K, longbow 7V, thud 5Sb.

Talking about the Zeus made me really want to play one. I wanted to try the wob one again with the light engine but couldn't find it, then i wanted to try the Stacy but i thought it might be too cheesy so i went with a standard. It turned out pretty well. Teaming up the bushwacker with the Zeus worked really well. I would lighten up the armor with the zeus( i was hitting really well last night too, lrm hitting high missiles amounts erll and erppc all hitting and many times all hitting in the same location.)  I took out the victor with everything hitting in the left torso, clearing it off making a forced withdraw. I then, the next round took the left torso out on the longbow, 2 crits, one hitting the ammo, cased, xl engine.

The other team placed some water tiles in the center, the barghest hit the water and continued to fire the erll and heavy gauss. They were not hitting well last night so the barghest was barely scratched. The stalker took some damage from the dragon fire but not a lot. The game pasted about 7 rounds.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #322 on: 27 May 2013, 14:46:30 »
I wanted to try the wob one again with the light engine but couldn't find it.

ZEU-10WB
- Record Sheets: 3050 Upgrades Unabridged - Inner Sphere
- you need the last edition of record sheets with the Cataphract on the white background, not the old edition with the Cataphract on the dark grey background.
- the armament of both old and new ZEU-10WB is almost identical, but the old one had the heat capacity of 22, while this new ZEU-10WB has 34 - so this time you can actually use "both" Heavy PPCs freely
- in my experience this 'Mech either ends with critted gyro in Round 1 (TAC), or it turns into indestructible and unforgiving zombie for the rest of the game.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #323 on: 27 May 2013, 15:11:21 »
Weird, i am up to date on record sheets. Guess i missed it. I have all the record sheet pdf's in order but theres 4-5 3050's. I'll take a look again. Thanks Martian.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #324 on: 27 May 2013, 18:06:56 »
Got some love on camo specs today. Another Donegal Guards beauty from Savage coyote.

http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=6623

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #325 on: 28 May 2013, 04:06:38 »
Got some love on camo specs today. Another Donegal Guards beauty from Savage coyote.

http://www.camospecs.com/Miniature.asp?ID=6623

Damn...

This would be the first time ever I would consider placing a Defiance down on the tabletop.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #326 on: 28 May 2013, 04:12:18 »

Damn...

This would be the first time ever I would consider placing a Defiance down on the tabletop.

I would consider placing a Defiance down on the table top. Just the first thing I would do is dump the MG ammo...

Wait...I just realized something..The Defiance is the Lyran answer to the Hellbringer Prime!

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #327 on: 28 May 2013, 04:36:46 »
More or less.

Savage Coyote stated, that uses the -3T, not the inefficent -3S. These standard PPCs are a big difference in usage.
-3S: shoot one ER-PPC and some weapons of the rest and wait for the heat spike.
-3T: fire all big guns at distant targets and change out the PPCs for the small arms when it gets close and dirty. Never mind your heat level.

If i could drop something, it would be the TSM. Skyrocketing the BV and heating up an ammocarrying mech is playing with fire. Literally. (Most of the time, there is someone else out there, giving you extra heat when you don't need it...)

RyuWanderfalke

• Warrant Officer
  • The fist of vengeance.
« Reply #328 on: 30 May 2013, 10:24:16 »
Alright, so we know there will be a new Fenrir in our TRO, but I just stumbled upon an old picture of an Uziel II in one of my BT picture folders.
Any guess what that bad boy might bring to the table? Possibly an OmniMech?

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #329 on: 30 May 2013, 11:14:55 »
Alright, so we know there will be a new Fenrir in our TRO, but I just stumbled upon an old picture of an Uziel II in one of my BT picture folders.
Any guess what that bad boy might bring to the table? Possibly an OmniMech?

My guess: 80 ton, 5/8/5 movement, SRM6, 2xERLL, 6xERML. In other worlds, a Lyran medium mech.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell