Author Topic: tips for "construction vehicle yellow"?  (Read 1748 times)

GOTHIK

• Lieutenant
tips for "construction vehicle yellow"?
« on: 23 May 2013, 18:56:50 »
I want to paint a couple of JI-100 Mech Recovery Vehicles, and an Oppie in a construction vehicle kind of scheme.

I've never worked with yellows like this though, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on base, drybrush, or high light colors or anything else.

p.s. I usually work with Vallejo paints so if you know the names of specific colors that would be fantastic! but color names of other brands would work too.

Thanks!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: tips for "construction vehicle yellow"?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2013, 19:19:36 »
Don't use Vallejo, but traditionally yellow is a very "thin" paint, and the undercoat shows through. SO choose a lightish, neutral base - I've been using light grey, but will experiment with flesh paint next time I do yellow. THen several coats, trying to minimise brushstrokes showing.

Another alternative, which worked well with my Dig Lord - base coat in metal. Then apply the yellow. Don't be too fussed by the brushwork showing. Do a few coats. Leave metallic bits exposed. Then hit with black wash. It's meant to look slightly dinged and dirty, no?
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

smcwatt

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2013, 20:29:01 »
Testors has a spray paint, Afrika Mustard, that is a good starting base for flat yellows.

SMc.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2013, 20:35:00 »
Construction vehicle yellow will probably want a good popping coat that works up from some level of orange-yellow. That'll create the kind of brightness you're looking for.

Also I moved the thread to tips and tricks, since you're asking for tips.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2013, 12:17:36 »
Personally, I would start with a brown as a basecoat.  Something about brown as an underlayer works well for golds and yellows.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2013, 13:33:46 »
Personally, I would start with a brown as a basecoat.  Something about brown as an underlayer works well for golds and yellows.

That's a good one, I'd forgotten about that.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

clansittingducks

• Warrant Officer
  • When in doubt throw more metal at it
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2013, 14:00:18 »
White base coat is a must, for a dirty construction look use flesh wash watered down a little.
One score and seven years ago, our FASAs brought forth upon this world a new hobby: conceived in giant stompiness, and dedicated to the proposition that all miniatures are created equal (except in scale).
-Worktroll