Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202127 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #660 on: 06 January 2015, 17:05:00 »
I'd still like to know what the glyphs are all about with the Purifiers Cluster.

They are intended to impart a degree of protection to whatever has them painted on it. Same kind of apotropaic function as crucifixes or phalli or eyes or any other such symbol painted/inscribed/carved/etc on something.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #661 on: 06 January 2015, 17:07:34 »
They are intended to impart a degree of protection to whatever has them painted on it. Same kind of apotropaic function as crucifixes or phalli or eyes or any other such symbol painted/inscribed/carved/etc on something.

"HORNED RAT!  PROTECT US!"

"You are not remotely taking this seriously, are you, Warrior Steve?"

"No I am not."
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #662 on: 06 January 2015, 18:56:25 »
http://camospecs.com/Faction.asp?ID=188

Case in point. Compared to:

http://www.warrenborn.com/Search.php?FACTION=Clan Sea Fox

Since I did most of the Sea Fox stuff, I figured that when they changed their names, they decided to break away from the Shark identity and completely restart.  I used the two DA schemes for two of the Khanate and then tried to do two schemes per unit, an "elite warrior" type of scheme that really means "elite painter" (lots of details or craziness) and an "every day warrior" scheme which really means an easy to paint scheme that is friendly to novice painters and expert painters alike.

At least, that was my thinking.  Tying it all into the ocean or at least, the best I could, was the other aspect

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #663 on: 06 January 2015, 20:37:16 »
And it all looks amazing Coyote. :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #664 on: 07 January 2015, 08:03:17 »
It's also a call back to Clan Nova Cat's Xi galaxy, who used the same paint scheme, and for the same reason.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #665 on: 07 January 2015, 19:25:27 »
It's also a call back to Clan Nova Cat's Xi galaxy, who used the same paint scheme, and for the same reason.

Also due to their connections to the Cloud Cobras via the Rossei Cloister.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #666 on: 29 January 2015, 11:50:25 »
interesting  O0

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #667 on: 29 August 2015, 09:35:16 »
So with TRO 3150 out, seems like the Protectorate still has good news coming its way.  Kisho and his band of survivors are out there somewhere, and other Nova Cats have managed to make the journey.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #668 on: 29 August 2015, 13:03:48 »
Sounds like the protectorate's also making a Guillotine IIc variant on Angel II, according to the NTNU section under the Tempest.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #669 on: 29 August 2015, 16:05:25 »
Sounds like the protectorate's also making a Guillotine IIc variant on Angel II, according to the NTNU section under the Tempest.

I really need to invest in the newer TROs.  I REALLY do.  Any time I hear that a Clan Secondline Mech is still in production somewhere, that is GOOD news.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #670 on: 29 August 2015, 16:27:14 »
While I wish it was the original- the 2 cLPL would be why it is not- the Guillotine IIC 2 is a 4/6/6, ERPPC, 4 ERML, TC and SSRM4 is ok . . . it also has a SFE, but I do not remember if the ammo is still in the CT or not.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #671 on: 29 August 2015, 19:19:04 »
Do we know that's what they're making though?

All I've got here is

"Even the Wolves were impressed -- While Angel II's Guillotine Line was Upgraded to IIc standards"

Which, I suppose doesn't even necessarily mean a new variant, but I don't know why the original would particularly impress Clan Wolf. Do we know what Guillotine was being built there previously?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #672 on: 29 August 2015, 19:41:03 »
I would take that to mean they were not fielding or likely facing many Guillotine IICs- it was a Homeworlds design after all, even though it was a trooper through the early Golden Century.  I mean we like it because its a slower Gargoyle A with all the savage hammering that implies.

Original or 2, I would take it to mean that Angel II is pumping out enough the Crusader Wolves are seeing enough they are getting a pretty solid combat analysis/history in the units they are facing.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #673 on: 30 August 2015, 13:15:16 »
It could also mean the Wolves are impressed by the Spirit Cat's ability to produce clan-spec technology and fight toe-to-toe with them.  Whereas the Ghost Bears would declare the Cats dezgra, Clan Wolf seems to be more pragmatic and is willing to recognize the Spirit Cats as more than just warriors that call themselves Clan, IF the Cats can measure up.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #674 on: 09 September 2015, 16:45:46 »
How is this for a Clan Protectorate trinary?

Striker Star
Nova Cat
Juliano (Clan)
Ha Otoko
Mad Cat Mk II 4
Warhammer IIC 4

Close Assault Star
Mad Cat Mk II Enhanced
Guillotine IIC
Guillotine IIC 2
Anzu
Blackhawk (Std)

Rogue Star
Tiburon
Mongoose II -267
Spider 8K
Havoc
Solitaire
Colt Ward

Dreyf

• Sergeant
« Reply #675 on: 09 September 2015, 21:46:51 »
It could also mean the Wolves are impressed by the Spirit Cat's ability to produce clan-spec technology and fight toe-to-toe with them.  Whereas the Ghost Bears would declare the Cats dezgra, Clan Wolf seems to be more pragmatic and is willing to recognize the Spirit Cats as more than just warriors that call themselves Clan, IF the Cats can measure up.

The Protectorate is more than just the Spirit Cats.  The Foxes could easily be the main reason the line was upgraded and no one would be impressed because they are building anything with Clan-tech.  The forces the Wolves are facing could also be from the Foxes or one of the mostly native clusters that were being raised.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #676 on: 21 September 2015, 05:34:39 »
The Protectorate is more than just the Spirit Cats.  The Foxes could easily be the main reason the line was upgraded and no one would be impressed because they are building anything with Clan-tech.  The forces the Wolves are facing could also be from the Foxes or one of the mostly native clusters that were being raised.

True, but given that 80% of the combat-capable Clusters are predominately Spirit Cat, it would be safe to assume that's who the Wolves are primarily fighting.  With regards to the factory upgrades, that's most likely Sea Fox intervention, which is cool.  Every new release seems to give more and more clues that the Spirit Cat-Sea Fox preserve is here to stay. :)

jh316

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #677 on: 22 October 2015, 21:25:27 »
Making a 3145 megamek server. I'm not really familiar with the status of the Clan Protectorate, mostly in the kind of designs they're fielding. Any kind of advice would be great. Did designs like the Avalanche and Wendigo end up in Protectorate hands? Are they still producing the Havoc and Gambit on Abadan in their original configurations?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #678 on: 22 October 2015, 22:42:48 »
Wendigos at least. No information on what's up with the factories in the protectorate. They have their own line in the field manual but we have just got a single page of information on them right now.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #679 on: 23 October 2015, 00:47:13 »
Both the Wendigo and Avalanche are used by the FWLM, so presumably they're in the Protectorate clusters. TRO3150 also mentions that they have a few Cave Lions as well.

Given thier origins, you could make a good case for them having a few common Nova Cat 'Mechs like the Morrigan, Shadow Cat, Nova Cat or Sphinx, but until we get MUL updates we can't say for sure.

As yet, there's no indication that the Gambit or Havoc lines have been upgraded. However, they are producing the Guillotine IIC
« Last Edit: 23 October 2015, 00:49:21 by Deadborder »
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #680 on: 23 October 2015, 15:41:24 »
Making a 3145 megamek server. I'm not really familiar with the status of the Clan Protectorate, mostly in the kind of designs they're fielding. Any kind of advice would be great. Did designs like the Avalanche and Wendigo end up in Protectorate hands? Are they still producing the Havoc and Gambit on Abadan in their original configurations?

Field Manual should have RATs for FWL with modifications for the Clan Protectorate as I recall.

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #681 on: 28 October 2015, 06:12:53 »
A new book with more detailed information, Faction paint sheme and colored Insignias woulde be welcome where you can read more over Marics hins Faction latest Army Structurs and the new Formed Clan Potectorate and the Forces.
« Last Edit: 28 October 2015, 13:24:52 by Doy »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #682 on: 28 October 2015, 10:16:34 »
I think you mean Book...

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
« Reply #683 on: 28 October 2015, 13:24:25 »
lol funny write error  :D ;D ::)

i fix it sorry

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #684 on: 10 January 2016, 18:05:58 »
So I recently got ahold of all my old Dark Age novels, and was rereading To Ride the Chimera because why not, and I was on the first Julietta of Marik section (Once she was on Marik), and she mentions observing all of the support personnel and non-warrior Spirit Cats who are now on-planet, including the children

I always missed that part before, but I think that confirms that the Spirit Cats had some sibkos along with them. :)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #685 on: 15 January 2016, 12:53:28 »
Yeah. The Spirit Cats put a lot of money on a gamble but they were prepared to back it up if it won.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #686 on: 15 January 2016, 16:04:37 »
Except she will not be seeing warrior sibkos wandering the city.  They are going to be off in some training area on a base.  The children she sees running around will be the freebirth offspring of techs, merchants and laborers.
Colt Ward

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #687 on: 24 February 2016, 22:17:07 »
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=37756.0

New chapter of my Spirit Cat Dark Age story out.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #688 on: 21 June 2016, 14:43:58 »
Little mental exercise . . .

The Spirit Cats are producing some Clan spec gear in the Protectorate, either importing parts or building them locally.

But what about improving what they already have or salvage from the Wolf front that is IS equipment or the Regulans when the push comes against them?

Say you were the officer in charge of upgrading the touman . . . would you select assaults to be refit? heavies?  mediums?  lights?  would you select based on a speed?

What about what Clan spec weapons you would try to get built locally?  ACs or Large Lasers for example?  Would that affect what you would refit?

Got to thinking about this for how the Protectorate might handle a Cerberus they inherited or salvage from the Regulans?
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #689 on: 21 June 2016, 16:14:35 »
well, the world of Angell in the protectorate is a site of Irian Technologies, so i'd look at what they make there to start. while the onlything we know that site makes is the Juliano, we can presume the Cats could work a deal to license one of the other designs to be made there as well.
this would mean the Hermes, Hermes II, Trebuchet, Guillotine, Tempest, Awesome, Albatross, Wasp, quickdraw, blackjack-O, strider, and Stalker could be possibilities.

the Blackjack and Strider Omni's could be refit easily, just mount clan weapons pods. (and even if not being built specially for the protectorate, likely would be something they purchase.)

personally i'd pick an older design (easier to license and build), and give it the "C" refit treatment.
like say, the Hermes II -2S model, refit with a clan AC5, ERML, and flamer. say a UAC (and use the saved ton to add more ammo)
with a succession wars level chassis, engine, armor, and single heatsinks, the basic design would be cheap to build. and the clan weapons mean it can boast firepower on par with the post-Helm -5S model, without resorting to the use of Endo and DHS of that model. not exactly spectacular, but a goodway to bulk out the touman on the cheap side.

or the trebuchet -5J model, using clan LRM's to bring it back to the dual 15 rack, drop one ML for extra ammo, and upgrade the remainign 2 to clan ER's. no major heat issues even when jumping, your firepower stays pretty much the same as the non-jumping introtech model, and you now have better endurance.
« Last Edit: 21 June 2016, 16:20:35 by glitterboy2098 »