Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202142 times)

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #900 on: 18 June 2021, 17:20:37 »
I wonder if we'll see bloodnamed Nova/Spirit Cat warriors in the Clan Protectorate? Of the currently known ones, there are more in the Wolf clan)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #901 on: 21 June 2021, 14:05:47 »
So, if drawing up a list of available units for Clan Protectorate, how'd you do it?
Seems to me filtering for IS Clan General, FWL, Sea Fox and Nova Cat in MUL seems reasonable?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #902 on: 21 June 2021, 15:08:03 »
Or go to all the MWDA RATs and look at the 2 FWL sub-state entries in . . . FM3145, ER3145, Era Digest:  Dark Age . . . and perhaps TP: Irian.

Besides the FWL general & CP specific, you would also want to give some wait to the Marik Stewart Commonwealth & Republic (Era Digest Dark Age).  In addition, depending on when you were concerned with the Protectorate also fought the Regulans on several occasions which would have garnered quite a bit of salvage.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #903 on: 21 June 2021, 15:17:58 »
RATs are way too limited, and occasionally inconsistent with MUL so i tend to just ignore them. But i guess i should check them over.
Don't have TP Irian incidentally, is it any good?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #904 on: 21 June 2021, 19:20:45 »
It covers MWDA's world wide event that led to the Marauder II coming on scene.  Each of the MWDA factions fought on the planet over the factory . . . Dragon's Fury were the winners, but they all had varying degrees of success.  The RAT and description give- I THINK- the only real defined Spirit Cat force outside of ED: Dark Age.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #905 on: 21 June 2021, 20:12:26 »
This is a case of the RAT being very important in informing a faction.  We don't get enough Spirit Cat info or stories.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #906 on: 22 June 2021, 01:22:01 »
This is a case of the RAT being very important in informing a faction.  We don't get enough Spirit Cat info or stories.

We get some info from rec guides and Golden Era TRO. Lupus, Shadow cat, Huntsman, Supernova, Firestorm.
Sources from the early Dark Age are already outdated. I think Spirit cats don't use agromechs in 3140-3150))
« Last Edit: 22 June 2021, 01:28:16 by Rncavenger »

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #907 on: 22 June 2021, 01:45:51 »
I'm not really to well into reading on it but between the Wolf Empire invasion, FM3145 seems to indicate there is a lot of friction there.  The Purifier Cluster in particular hates the Wolves and the First Nova Cat Provisionals were still scarred from the Republic by 3145.  (not that it matters)  Although that might mean the Nova Cats might be swayed, not sure on the Spirit Cats.  My guess is Alaric will have a case of like mother, like son but I didn't read HotW other than what people have said to me verbatim. 

As for what they have available... I'm going to guess whatever Nova Cats or Sea Foxes would have in the MUL?  You do have the sparse rats on page 216 of FM3145 under the FWL but you can probably get away with mixing in mechs or use the instructions on Touchpoint Marik in SF, page 110.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2021, 02:51:17 by Turaglas »
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #908 on: 22 June 2021, 09:34:38 »
We get some info from rec guides and Golden Era TRO. Lupus, Shadow cat, Huntsman, Supernova, Firestorm.
Sources from the early Dark Age are already outdated. I think Spirit cats don't use agromechs in 3140-3150))

Sure, they can make those but you do not know the frequency- as in the Foxes take 80% of production for export which leaves the Protectorate with 4 of the 20 produced every year.  We also know they were producing . . . Tempest C?  and IIRC the Guillotine IIC 2?  As far as armed IndiMechs . . . they may, and they may still be using things like the Inquisitor Mk II or other 'securitymechs' that they had on hand for the lowest tier defending units.  Or they were relegated to training sibkos, which is very likely, and thus part of the 'last ditch' defense of Marik.

But we come back around to the point that (for some reason) the Protectorate's leader and senior Spirit Cat, Rikkard Nova Cat, pilots a Firestarter (after using a Shadow Hawk IIC . . . ) rather than something better.  Or did until the Regulans wrecked him.

One thing you must remember when forming a Spirit Cat force is their evolution . . . they were a Republic splinter faction which means they drew their initial equipment from what the militia/standing guard had available, what they salvaged from fight OTHER splinter factions, what they bought from the Foxes at that time (3132-3135?), what they salvaged from regular Republic forces and invading Liaos before the last stragglers joined Rikkard to invade Marik.  THEN they destroyed the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth's defending regiment while 'buying' more Fox support, expanded the Protectorate which means faced occasional raids from randos, faced Trials of Possession against the Crusader Wolves in the early to mid 40s, and finally fought several rounds with the Regulan Hussars (broke 2 regiments?).  Their touman is separate from the FWLM and I would be surprised if they imported equipment from the rest of the League, and instead would be considered a net exporter of military equipment as a province.

If you are going to reference a Nova Cat era on the MUL you would be better off looking at Jihad or Early Republic as a source since that is when the factional split occurred and while they did trade in later eras it would not weight towards that list.
Colt Ward

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #909 on: 22 June 2021, 10:26:08 »
But we come back around to the point that (for some reason) the Protectorate's leader and senior Spirit Cat, Rikkard Nova Cat, pilots a Firestarter (after using a Shadow Hawk IIC . . . ) rather than something better.  Or did until the Regulans wrecked him.

I think this is a fact check error)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #910 on: 22 June 2021, 11:58:39 »
Nope . . . in the game, Rikkard commanded a Firestarter . . . and not one that had range or was anything special.  In the FWL arc at the end of the MWDA novels Rikkard is piloting a Shadow Hawk IIC for the invasion of Marik.  First action on the world has him claiming a Legionnaire as a dueling opponent as the Cats advance on the capital.  Then he is involved in city fighting in his Shadow Hawk IIC . . .

. . . but in Shattered Fortress, we get Rikkard once again in a Firestarter.  He challenges the Regulan commander, who decides to ignore Clan rules, and since the enemy commander so obligingly identified himself gets focus fired down by the Regulans in range.  Not that a Firestarter could stand up to much attention but just figuring a company+ of mechs open fire it is not a surprise the mech got wrecked.  This obviously pissed off the Protectorate forces who went on to rolfstomp the Regulans- and degraded their readiness too much in the push- to be able to hold up to the follow up Regulan forces.  Rikkard survived, and we hope actually picks something survivable like a Nova Cat . . . though Janis old Omni should have been available after taking Marik but he did not take it at the time.

Heck, Petr got a Hammerhead after his Tiburon was lost when the Foxes on planet assisted the regular Protectorate forces in '47- same battle Rikkard got dropped.

If Rikkard will not take a heavy, at least get a decent med like a Shadow Cat (I or III?) . . . or maybe let us see one of the other Havocs . . . give me a Havoc with cERMLs as part of that mixed design, it would be awesome.
Colt Ward

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #911 on: 22 June 2021, 16:14:51 »
Not Havoc. Firestorm. 5/10/7 , flamer, another "heat" weapon. Rikkard like flamers)
« Last Edit: 22 June 2021, 16:17:24 by Rncavenger »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #912 on: 22 June 2021, 21:39:38 »
If he sticks with a light, the 8/12/7 Havoc is better than getting a replacement Firestarter . . . and if it gets me one with HMLs and a SC, so much the better.
Colt Ward

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #913 on: 23 June 2021, 01:15:06 »
Firestarter IIC when.
"This is why the same true fighting will never employ ornate, showy, or wide patterns, [nor will it include] exaggerated moves which are useful only for the entertainment of spectators."

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #914 on: 23 June 2021, 01:33:30 »
Firestarter IIC when.

Laughs in Lobo 2 and Firestorm
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #915 on: 23 June 2021, 04:04:26 »
Firestarter IIC when.

Hellion E

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #916 on: 23 June 2021, 09:22:41 »
Firestarter IIC when.

Still no . . . 6/9/6 (staying true to form) on a light is a death sentence in a 'modern' force- see the light mech topic of a couple of months ago.
Colt Ward

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #917 on: 23 June 2021, 14:48:00 »
Not Havoc. Firestorm. 5/10/7 , flamer, another "heat" weapon. Rikkard like flamers)

I'd take a Firestorm in a moment if I previously piloted a Firestarter
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #918 on: 23 June 2021, 15:58:54 »
I did not get that RecGuide- besides the speed . . . weight?

Fine with leaders having lighter mechs, but they need to be survivable- if they were going to be leaders.
Colt Ward

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #919 on: 23 June 2021, 16:04:59 »
I did not get that RecGuide- besides the speed . . . weight?

Fine with leaders having lighter mechs, but they need to be survivable- if they were going to be leaders.

Firestorm is in the MUL, 50 tons
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #920 on: 25 June 2021, 12:25:22 »
The Firestorm is a heavier Shadow Cat, built as an Incendiary mech (Plasma cannon, Plasma Rifle, AND a Flamer). It's also produced by the Sea Fox inside the Protectorate so it's a rather good fit for him. 

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #921 on: 25 June 2021, 12:44:11 »
Well, with new Firestarter art released . . . I am concerned he will end up back in one.
Colt Ward

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #922 on: 25 June 2021, 13:35:13 »
Convince them to make it a special IIC one.  He's got the magic of plot armor, he'll be fine!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #923 on: 25 June 2021, 13:55:52 »
Convince them to make it a special IIC one.  He's got the magic of plot armor, he'll be fine!

Making it a IIC is not going to make it any more survivable when a 35t mech that moves 6/9/6 runs into heavies with two 10 point hits.

A Firestarter being destroyed when getting fired on by all the Regulans in range is not surprising.  Finding enough of the mech left to pry him out of is the surprise.
Colt Ward

Turaglas

• Master Sergeant
  • Embrace the suck
« Reply #924 on: 26 June 2021, 05:17:27 »
I'd call that a fluke, but... surprises like that happen.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #925 on: 03 July 2021, 17:52:14 »
A few fan theories about Nova/Spirit cats:
-Where is Kisho? Wayside 5. The Cats helped the remnants of the Jaguars to reach this planet. The infrastructure for the colony remained there from the Fidelis.
-What military forces fly whith Kisho? 1-2 mixed clusters. Some of them are Spirit Cats who have joined Kisho (maybe Cox Devalis among them), the other is 189 Striker Cluster. This is the only cluster of Nova Cats with a history that has survived the 2 DC-GB war.
-Riccard's bloodname? Drummond. The Nova Cats started with Rosse and Drummond. Given their mystical nature, Spirit Cats should start with the same. Maybe Rickard will become the oldest warrior ever to receive a bloodname)
-Will Nova Cats resurrect? Yes and no. Alaric recognizes the Spirit Cats as a new clan and they will absorb all the remnants of the Nova Cats. And maybe someday in the future they will take the name back.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #926 on: 04 July 2021, 08:41:38 »
A few fan theories about Nova/Spirit cats:
-Where is Kisho? Wayside 5. The Cats helped the remnants of the Jaguars to reach this planet. The infrastructure for the colony remained there from the Fidelis.
-What military forces fly whith Kisho? 1-2 mixed clusters. Some of them are Spirit Cats who have joined Kisho (maybe Cox Devalis among them), the other is 189 Striker Cluster. This is the only cluster of Nova Cats with a history that has survived the 2 DC-GB war.
-Riccard's bloodname? Drummond. The Nova Cats started with Rosse and Drummond. Given their mystical nature, Spirit Cats should start with the same. Maybe Rickard will become the oldest warrior ever to receive a bloodname)
-Will Nova Cats resurrect? Yes and no. Alaric recognizes the Spirit Cats as a new clan and they will absorb all the remnants of the Nova Cats. And maybe someday in the future they will take the name back.

Combine all 4 and it'd take it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #927 on: 04 July 2021, 10:21:48 »
Making it a IIC is not going to make it any more survivable when a 35t mech that moves 6/9/6 runs into heavies with two 10 point hits.

A Firestarter being destroyed when getting fired on by all the Regulans in range is not surprising.  Finding enough of the mech left to pry him out of is the surprise.

Maybe it’s a IIC one like the Phoenix Hawk IIC…
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #928 on: 04 July 2021, 12:06:12 »
I think this is a fact check error)

Probably worth mentioning that the thing is in use for what are ultimately religious reasons. A Combine pilot really impressed the Nova Cats with it once.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #929 on: 04 July 2021, 12:20:25 »
I always get a good laugh out of suggesting characters get different 'Mechs, especially the ones in Lights.  Do you think a writer is going to accidentally write that they've been shot down and killed because the 'Mech they were in was too light?  No, of course not.

The only thing it would accomplish is a sort of narrative min-maxing on the fans' side of things for no actual benefit.  It could very well be that this character is excellent at this particular 'Mech's controls, or they like what their 'Mech can do, or they're personally attached to it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.