Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202190 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #1050 on: 10 June 2022, 00:41:20 »
I misread you a little bit, but I do feel compelled to say that the RecGuides' introductions say that the Foxes can get anything in them, not that they have everything in them at all times.  Otherwise they'd have availability with every unit with a RG source and that's demonstrably not true.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1051 on: 10 June 2022, 07:44:26 »
Seems like a case of "If you can pay enough, we can get you anything in our catalog"

Makes me wonder if the Warhawk is the most expensive thing in RGs, since they're made far away and implicitly the Scorpions aren't really interested in selling.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1052 on: 10 June 2022, 12:12:09 »
Seems like a case of "If you can pay enough, we can get you anything in our catalog"

Makes me wonder if the Warhawk is the most expensive thing in RGs, since they're made far away and implicitly the Scorpions aren't really interested in selling.
Although there should be old Warhawks floating around the IS as another avenue for acquisitions. I would say some of the newer 'Mechs might be harder to get, whether it's the Alpha Wolf, or the new Scorpion Omnis, etc.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1053 on: 10 June 2022, 12:37:59 »
C'mon, everyone knows the easiest way to get a Warhawk or one of those new Scorpion Omnis . . .

Fox merchant- "Look what I have here Scorpion warrior, a Star League era Marauder- you know it by the serial number!- that I am willing to trade for your mech.  Now you too can be part of history and use this artifact just as the ancient and glorious Star League."

Scorpion warrior- "Is it really a Star League Marauder?  Looks a bit different than our databanks say, quiaff?"

Fox merchant- "I understand what you are asking Mechwarrior, but this Star League Marauder fought with Alexander Kerensky, through all four Succession Wars, and even saw action among the Draconis Combine when the Smoke Jaguars invaded.  During that time, it's abilities declined until the coming of the Clans when it's combat power was brought back towards Star League standards.  Think of the history it has seen, which you will now become a part of- all I need in exchange is your Warhawk."
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1054 on: 24 June 2022, 07:37:31 »
C'mon, everyone knows the easiest way to get a Warhawk or one of those new Scorpion Omnis . . .

Fox merchant- "Look what I have here Scorpion warrior, a Star League era Marauder- you know it by the serial number!- that I am willing to trade for your mech.  Now you too can be part of history and use this artifact just as the ancient and glorious Star League."

Scorpion warrior- "Is it really a Star League Marauder?  Looks a bit different than our databanks say, quiaff?"

Fox merchant- "I understand what you are asking Mechwarrior, but this Star League Marauder fought with Alexander Kerensky, through all four Succession Wars, and even saw action among the Draconis Combine when the Smoke Jaguars invaded.  During that time, it's abilities declined until the coming of the Clans when it's combat power was brought back towards Star League standards.  Think of the history it has seen, which you will now become a part of- all I need in exchange is your Warhawk."

Reminds me of that first Grasshopper from the Legacy collection.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1055 on: 24 June 2022, 08:25:22 »

At least the merchant wasn't brazen enough to claim it was Kerensky's own Orion Marauder..
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1056 on: 24 June 2022, 10:42:54 »
At least the merchant wasn't brazen enough to claim it was Kerensky's own Orion Marauder..

Last one that tried that was challenged to a Circle of Equals for their dezgra behavior . . . they and their holdings were liquidated.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1057 on: 24 June 2022, 11:22:51 »
I saw a picture of maps on Facebook the Clan Protectorate was bigger in the second map and shaded differetly to the FWL (shade was a mix of wolf colour and marik colour stripes)
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #1058 on: 24 June 2022, 20:47:18 »
I saw a picture of maps on Facebook the Clan Protectorate was bigger in the second map and shaded differetly to the FWL (shade was a mix of wolf colour and marik colour stripes)

and thus did Marik learn the dark age lesson of "NEVER TRUST A CLANNER"

The Suns will shine again

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1059 on: 25 June 2022, 00:04:59 »

As far as can be judged from the last book, the Clan Protectorate  did not betray the FWL. The Silver Hawk raids were not sanctioned by the league parliament
« Last Edit: 25 June 2022, 00:26:14 by Rncavenger »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1060 on: 25 June 2022, 00:45:59 »

ironic, since the conventional wisdom of the FWL is to never trust anyone, even yourself.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1061 on: 27 June 2022, 03:04:53 »

As far as can be judged from the last book, the Clan Protectorate  did not betray the FWL. The Silver Hawk raids were not sanctioned by the league parliament

Funny part is the Sea Foxes interdicted Regulan space after Sherryl's husband died / was murdered without sanctions from the FWL goverment. No one cared enough to censure the Protectorate as it was beneficial. Maybe a bad precedent

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #1062 on: 27 June 2022, 06:52:58 »

I would have said don't stand too close to a Nova Cat. If you see a black one, throw a pinch of salt over you shoulder.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1063 on: 08 July 2022, 17:44:21 »
Protectorate divided :D
P.S. After Tamar  Rising I was hoping that "Empire Alone" would tell us at least something about the internal life of the Clan Protectorate. But not a word about it...  :'(
« Last Edit: 08 July 2022, 17:48:36 by Rncavenger »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1064 on: 08 July 2022, 17:48:52 »
After Tamar  Rising I was hoping that "Empire Alone" would tell us at least something about the internal life of the Clan Protectorate. But not a word about it...  :'(

There is a bit about being torn over loyalties to the FWL or the Ilclan. Not quite a description of what is going on. But, they did get a bit of spotlight.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1065 on: 08 July 2022, 18:04:59 »
We've got a RAT boys! It's not just two lines in the middle of the FWL table anymore.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1066 on: 09 July 2022, 04:43:19 »
We've got a RAT boys! It's not just two lines in the middle of the FWL table anymore.

Yes, and quite good. The only thing that upsets is the absence of a Nova Cat mech in it. The presence of a Sphinx pleases.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1067 on: 09 July 2022, 04:51:13 »
What do you think will happen next?
Rikkard Nova Cat and Spirit Cats want to be on the side of the FWL. Sea Foxes, Julietta and Nova Cat provisionals want to be on the side of the IlClan. I hope we won't see a civil war here

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1068 on: 09 July 2022, 13:41:27 »
Rikkard Nova Cat and Spirit Cats want to be on the side of the FWL. Sea Foxes, Julietta and Nova Cat provisionals want to be on the side of the IlClan. I hope we won't see a civil war here

We are in League space. What do YOU think will happen?

and it seems fragmenting is the general order of the day after the Ilclan trial. Much easier to defeat your neighbours when they are broken into pieces beforehand  ::)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1069 on: 13 July 2022, 18:05:59 »

My guess is that Rikkard will need to put Julletta down like he did Janis....   After all Juilletta learned that she doesn't have what it takes to learn a star nation.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1070 on: 14 July 2022, 06:30:32 »
I think that the Protectorate will continue to play both sides of the issue.  The Nova Cats were in this position before and made the mistake of choosing only one side.  The Council realizes just how dangerous the situation is, so they are trying to mollify both sides.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1071 on: 14 July 2022, 10:13:18 »
Getting a bit tired of the Cats always picking the losing side here, to be honest. Let them get one clear win for once. Frankly, I'd have thought the Nova Cats proper would have learned their lesson about choosing sides at all, it always bites them later. But it's not like the Clans have tended to be good at long term thinking.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1072 on: 14 July 2022, 11:05:24 »
Getting a bit tired of the Cats always picking the losing side here, to be honest. Let them get one clear win for once. Frankly, I'd have thought the Nova Cats proper would have learned their lesson about choosing sides at all, it always bites them later. But it's not like the Clans have tended to be good at long term thinking.

“All of this has happened before. It will happen again.”

Seems to be a mantra of nuBSG Cylons, as well as many factions within BTech.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
« Reply #1073 on: 14 July 2022, 11:21:17 »
Personally, I don't think The FWL is the losing side here. Yes, the Sea Foxes are going to stay a power to be reckoned with, but they are going to lose a bit of their bite in order to be the suppliers for the rest of the factions. And I still think the Wolves bit off way more than they can chew by going for a victory that is both pyrrhic and mostly symbolic. He might be able to hold Terra for a few years, but ultimately he's going to wind up like Stone and the WoB before him.

Focht had it in the right, Terra is a symbol without any real power.

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #1074 on: 14 July 2022, 11:25:32 »
I don't think the FWL is the losing side either, but the Nova Cat Provisionals have already declared for the ilClan and gone rogue so...
« Last Edit: 14 July 2022, 13:56:52 by Angrii »
Welcome to interesting times

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1075 on: 14 July 2022, 11:55:38 »
I think that the Protectorate will continue to play both sides of the issue.  The Nova Cats were in this position before and made the mistake of choosing only one side.  The Council realizes just how dangerous the situation is, so they are trying to mollify both sides.

Kisho is going to undoubtably show up again making our current two way issue into a three way.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1076 on: 14 July 2022, 13:55:05 »
Kisho is going to undoubtably show up again making our current two way issue into a three way.

Interestingly neither Kisho or Rikkard hold a Bloodname so neither will have that going for them

Rikkard holds rank but Kisho apparently has the Nova Cat Genetic Repository so...

Rikkard new Khan, Kisho the no Oathmaster, Kisho overseeing Rikkard's Trial of Bloodright?
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #1077 on: 14 July 2022, 14:31:07 »
Are the Nova Cat elements being presumptuous about the ilClan anyway? They were abjured after all. Alaric has mixed feelings about that stuff.
OTOH the Sea Foxes can claim rogue Khanate and play both sides. Especially as the should have good intel of the strength of both sides.

Pulling a Northwind and sitting it out for a year may be the best option.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #1078 on: 14 July 2022, 14:44:37 »

Or leadership of the Clan Protectorate gets so divided that it presents an opportunity for Kisho (or someone) to conquer.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1079 on: 14 July 2022, 15:06:56 »
We also do not know Kishio shows up in the Protectorate . . . he might end up going right to Terra.
Colt Ward