Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202197 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #1140 on: 02 February 2023, 14:26:22 »
Can someone remind me what we know about the O5P (Order of the Five Pillars) in the Dark Age/ilClan Era.

(and ideally, which book we know it from).

They got themselves involved with the Nova Cats to create the mystic caste that's in Kishos' novel Heretic's Faith
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1141 on: 02 February 2023, 17:43:13 »
Also:
-helped Emi Kurita to hide among the Nova Cats (a short mention in the "Daughter of the Dragon");
-may have helped Kisho and the remnants of the Nova Cats to disappear (Wendigo page in Battletech legends)

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1142 on: 02 February 2023, 17:43:41 »
At the moment we know about 4+1 holders of Blood Names among Spirit/Nova Cats in the Clan Protectorate.  Hardo, Nostra, Vozka and Bavros. Plus Kara Fletcher, but she's originally from Hell Horses.

Spirit Cats also had Deleportas' among them, as well as several Rosse's. While there's been no guarantee any of those warriors went with Rikkard to Marik, I think it would be a safe bet they did.

Clan Protectorate

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1143 on: 02 February 2023, 18:10:21 »
Spirit Cats also had Deleportas' among them, as well as several Rosse's. While there's been no guarantee any of those warriors went with Rikkard to Marik, I think it would be a safe bet they did.

I mentioned those about whom it is known for sure that they are in the Clan Protectorate. There were many Spirit Cats with Bloodnames, but practically none of them are mentioned after 3137. 3 of 4 Spirit/Nova Cats clusters in the Clan Protectorate  are commanded by warriors without bloodnames. If we count two binaries of Kara as a separate cluster, then two out of 5. The Protectorate Guardians are commanded by Sea Foxes. As well as the new Beta Strike cluster.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1144 on: 02 February 2023, 22:01:45 »
The problem is that we know less about the  Spirit/Nova cats in Clan Protectorate that arose about fifteen years ago than about mini factions that appeared in the "Tamar rising".

I think the issue is the presumption that we do know about the Spirit Cats/Nova Cats in the Protectorate and so doing a write up on them probably seems redundant. They're covered in several Dark Age novels. They've got character creation rules in the Era Report.

The Protectorate Guardians have a write up in the Era Report, Beta Strike Cluster gets a write up in Empire Alone, the Protectorate Military gets a write up in the Field Manual, Shiva, Purifiers and Omicron as well as the Spirit Cats in general get a write up in Era Digest Dark Ages. They get page 37 of Shattered Fortress as far as what they've been up to.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying I think the writers probably just don't think they need to be explicit about the Clan Protectorate because they actually get a lot of attention in the books. Especially if you're doing something like Empires Alone. Do you use your page and word count to expand your information about someone with very little information? Because with the Spirit Cats you're essentially duplicating information.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1145 on: 03 February 2023, 02:46:05 »
I'm not saying that nothing has been written about Spirit Cats at all. They periodically receive their supporting role. The battle for Marik in 3147 is described in more detail than many others. There is even a separate chapter in the Hunting Season on behalf of the Regularian Hussars. In the Empire Alone, they act in the  role of puppets in the intrigues of Peter Kalassa. Their role was so secondary that not a single name of the commanders of the Cat clusters was mentioned in the entire book.
 I saying that we know practically nothing about the internal structure of the Clan Protectorate . Is Spirit/Nova Cats being raised are sibgroups born in the Clan Protectorate? Do they carry out trials for Bloodnames? These issues are very important for any clan faction. Why is their leader without a Blood name and what bloodhouse does he belong to at all?  What are their goals other than survival?
And the writers could be understood if we were talking about an ordinary mini-faction. Although they can be described in sufficient detail. Tamar Rising is an excellent book in this regard. But the Clan Protectorate is the only figuring heir of  larger faction of the clan Nova Cat . Which in turn was destroyed for a page and and almost forgotten.
« Last Edit: 03 February 2023, 03:58:22 by Rncavenger »

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1146 on: 04 February 2023, 11:35:04 »
Not all detail is necessarily good detail.  The Rasalhague Dominion fans don't seam particularly happy with happened up coreward.

I feel like we get enough dribbles, and I would rather than the Spirit/Nova cats getting ended completely.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1147 on: 04 February 2023, 11:57:48 »
As tough as it is, the Clan Protectorate / Spirit Cats are a sub faction now. Battletech had issues with faction bloat for awhile. It's just not manageable to have as many factions as they had and write about them enough to make people happy.

I'd personally like to know how Sea Fox Aimags are structured and they really haven't detailed that.

The Clan Protectorate is odd because its a clan faction in an Inner Sphere realm but I don't think that there is anything to really know about their formations. They seem organized like a normal clan.

The character creation rules for the rpg are probably enlightening for this. The big question is honestly: What product would they present that information in?

We can probably piece it together by looking into some pilot descriptions in the Ilclan TRO series.

Could also maybe just ask in the, "Ask the Writers." Forum.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1148 on: 13 February 2023, 20:04:46 »
What exactly is the population of the planet of Marik, Inner Sphere denizens? Doesn't seem like a hospitable place, probably easy for the Spirit Cats and Foxes to swamp it with their civilians.
Clan Protectorate

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1149 on: 13 February 2023, 20:12:31 »
very little change between 3025 and 3150... just under five billion

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1150 on: 13 February 2023, 20:46:02 »
 It is no New Avalon for living conditions if that is what you mean. The Free Worlds League culturally would be inclined to accept Clan civilians as part of their makeup.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1151 on: 20 February 2023, 09:14:28 »
It is no New Avalon for living conditions if that is what you mean. The Free Worlds League culturally would be inclined to accept Clan civilians as part of their makeup.

There was even a line in Handbook House Marik that states that several former Smoke Jaguars came back to the League with the Serpent & Bulldog regiments and received a warm if guarded reception.  By the 3100s, with generations having had time to adapt to Clan culture being "here to stay" so to speak, the Free Worlders probably just see Clanners as just another cultural group.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1152 on: 21 February 2023, 00:49:17 »
There was even a line in Handbook House Marik that states that several former Smoke Jaguars came back to the League with the Serpent & Bulldog regiments and received a warm if guarded reception.  By the 3100s, with generations having had time to adapt to Clan culture being "here to stay" so to speak, the Free Worlders probably just see Clanners as just another cultural group.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. The League doesn't have the "everyday"/they're-our-neighbors/history of conflict with the Clans that, say, the Lyrans and the Combine do. Pretty much most of their knowledge of the Clans is academic as opposed to practical. A handful of Jaguar refugees is a completely different experience (not to mention scale) as suddenly having a sizable population of Clanners living in your house and having a voice in your government.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1153 on: 21 February 2023, 03:17:33 »
A handful of Jaguar refugees is a completely different experience (not to mention scale) as suddenly having a sizable population of Clanners living in your house and having a voice in your government.

But you also have the fact that the FWL has basically always been a tentative union of bickering nation-states jockeying for leadership.  Oh, sure, the Clans bring a level of alienness to the table, but still I have trouble thinking that the FWL wouldn't be able to navigate a new political faction of militarist eugenicist fascist furries among their already-chaotic politics.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1154 on: 21 February 2023, 06:32:43 »
But you also have the fact that the FWL has basically always been a tentative union of bickering nation-states jockeying for leadership.  Oh, sure, the Clans bring a level of alienness to the table, but still I have trouble thinking that the FWL wouldn't be able to navigate a new political faction of militarist eugenicist fascist furries among their already-chaotic politics.

You should ask the Romans how integrating a huge amount of foreigners into their empire went. The problem is that the Clans are still alien to IS culture and politics. While the League is a Federation that should make integration a bit easier (like the integration of League trained troops into the original SLDF) the subnations have a more or less similar culture. Just take a look how the Raven Alliance went: the original goverment got completly supplanted by the Clanners and no real integration. While I can't see that for the League as the League is way bigger then the Protectorate I would assume that most states are still on guard against them.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1155 on: 21 February 2023, 08:15:40 »
It doesn’t help that during EA, parts of the protectorate are now acting openly in favor of ilClan with the Foxes. FWL May possibly go to war with them as well.

I don’t think we’d see the protectorate get wiped, but we could see the “joiners” booted into the wolf empire to form whatever nation that ends up becoming.

GuyIncognito

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1156 on: 21 February 2023, 12:10:58 »
Given precedent with the Regulans and Anduriens, a bit of intra-League violence isn't necessarily a deal breaker either.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1157 on: 21 February 2023, 19:53:26 »
So the Clan Protectorate Military is an interesting deal. It's not wholly controlled by the Spirit Cats or the Sea Foxes. Some Clusters are entirely of one, others are entirely the other, and some are a mix. Based on the most recent PDFs here's a breakdown.

Spirit Cat Majority
Shiva Keshik
Kara's Scorchers (2 Binaries)
Purifiers Cluster
Nova Cat Provisionals

Sea Fox Majority
Omicron Cluster (Really should've been left Spirit Cat)
Beta Striker Cluster

Mixed (Sea Fox, Spirit Cat, and freeborn Marik)
1st Protectorate Guardians
2nd Protectorate Guardians
Clan Protectorate

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1158 on: 21 February 2023, 22:39:03 »
 It is highly unlikely that the Clan Protectorate would even try to impose their culture or governance on the planet Marik. They have a protectorate shindig that is working well for them and giving them limited control. That is not to say that there would not be regions where Clan style governance would be maintained, but they would be enclaves. They get nice things like MPs out of this working.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1159 on: 21 February 2023, 22:50:28 »
What large Clan population in the Protectorate? Should Clan Sea Fox decide to move its entire population to Marik, it would sharply shift demographics, but would still not reach 10% of that individual world's population.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1160 on: 22 February 2023, 02:49:00 »
Old answer about Omicron cluster:

*mutters something*

Omicron was supposed to be the old Spirit Cats cluster.

Øystein

Regarding the clan population and their relations with the surrounding residents of the FWL. Spirit Cats and most of the First Provesionals Cluster are the heirs of Nova Cats who have lived in the Republic for 70 years. Many of them served in the Republican troops. All their lives they have lived as equals among the spheroids. Spirit Cats most likely transported all the available enclaves of Nova and Spirit Cats from the Republic to the Clan Protectorate. And there were a lot of them there. Not only in  prefecture tree, but also in the rest. For example , the sources of the dark age clixgame mentioned enclaves on Cebalrai , Ankaa , Markus.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1161 on: 22 February 2023, 16:54:36 »
It is highly unlikely that the Clan Protectorate would even try to impose their culture or governance on the planet Marik. They have a protectorate shindig that is working well for them and giving them limited control. That is not to say that there would not be regions where Clan style governance would be maintained, but they would be enclaves. They get nice things like MPs out of this working.

Huh?  Marik is the world the Spirit Cats took from the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth.  It is the OTHER worlds in the Protectorate where they are not going to have any say on the planetary operations outside of defense and trade agreements.  The way I see it the Protectorate military is that every world besides Marik would be like US bases in NATO countries- status of forces agreement, the base/land is leased/loaned to the Protectorate Militia, and when the world/Protectorate are threatened they swing into action.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1162 on: 22 February 2023, 20:02:54 »
Old answer about Omicron cluster:

Regarding the clan population and their relations with the surrounding residents of the FWL. Spirit Cats and most of the First Provesionals Cluster are the heirs of Nova Cats who have lived in the Republic for 70 years. Many of them served in the Republican troops. All their lives they have lived as equals among the spheroids. Spirit Cats most likely transported all the available enclaves of Nova and Spirit Cats from the Republic to the Clan Protectorate. And there were a lot of them there. Not only in  prefecture tree, but also in the rest. For example , the sources of the dark age clixgame mentioned enclaves on Cebalrai , Ankaa , Markus.

Yes, I was aware that Omicron was supposed to be the old Spirit Cat Cluster. My in-universe justification for it not being so, and being a Sea Fox expat, is that the Spirit Cats drew their officers for the Guardian clusters mostly from Omicron, reducing it to nothing, but beefing up two new Clusters full of Clan officers staffed with Freeborn warriors.
Clan Protectorate

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1163 on: 20 March 2023, 14:41:25 »
Per Shrapnel #12 . . . Star Colonel Cox Devalis was on Irece in '42.  Now since one of his cluster's warriors was called on to create a provisional Trinary, AND the saKhan's briefing mentioned Mystic Kishio . . . it is possible he was part of the evac that used all of the Clan's aerospace assets on that world.

BUT the odds are he died on Irece, probably before the nuke drop.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1164 on: 20 March 2023, 20:21:21 »
 Angus Drummond also mentioned in this Shrapnel. Steel wolf section.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1165 on: 20 March 2023, 21:44:51 »
So was Kyria but that was the Steel Wolves write up.
Colt Ward

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1166 on: 22 March 2023, 19:05:28 »
Per Shrapnel #12 . . . Star Colonel Cox Devalis was on Irece in '42.  Now since one of his cluster's warriors was called on to create a provisional Trinary, AND the saKhan's briefing mentioned Mystic Kishio . . . it is possible he was part of the evac that used all of the Clan's aerospace assets on that world.

BUT the odds are he died on Irece, probably before the nuke drop.

Based on the SaKhan's phrasing, I think Cox Devalis was sent with Kisho.

I did like the Angus Drummond mention in the Steel Wolf Section.
Clan Protectorate

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1167 on: 24 March 2023, 00:59:39 »
If Kisho ever reaches the Clan Protectorate, then Cox Devalis is a good candidate to negotiate with Rikkard. They obviously know each other well.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1168 on: 24 March 2023, 09:56:33 »
'Kishio- All the Minnesota Tribe flavor, none of the Wolverine taint!'
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1169 on: 24 March 2023, 11:03:09 »
'Kishio- All the Minnesota Tribe flavor, none of the Wolverine taint!'

Pfft, they're Nova Cats... they have a taint all their own.  ;D
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Register