Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202139 times)

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #1170 on: 31 March 2023, 15:44:18 »
I was just watching the Adepticon Day 2 Interview with Randel and Loren.

Randle said "yeah" to a question about bringing the Clan Protectorate and the Nova Cats back together.

Also said "yes" to any plans for the Spirit Cats.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2023, 15:59:12 by Geg »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1171 on: 31 March 2023, 18:20:07 »
 . . . Kishio is a Legend from the ilClan era . . . who was last seen what, 7 or 8 years BEFORE the ilClan era started?

So yeah, there is some sort of plan.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1172 on: 31 March 2023, 19:44:22 »
I love it when a plan comes together

Pfft, they're Nova Cats... they have a taint all their own.  ;D

Yes it's called Xi Galaxy's  paint scheme or the Ceremonial Outfit
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1173 on: 31 March 2023, 19:47:08 »
Yes it's called Xi Galaxy's  paint scheme or the Ceremonial Outfit

To each their own, because I love both of those things.  ;D
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #1174 on: 15 April 2023, 05:50:08 »
it's called Xi Galaxy's paint scheme or the Ceremonial Outfit

Now hold on just a gosh-darned minute because not only do I like painting up those weird Cloud Cobra neon 'mechs with esoteric symbols, I also plan on doing a CNC ceremonial garb cosplay within the year.  Spiky cat mask, leather shorts, &etc.  All the Clans are weird furries; at least the Nova Cats owned it.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1175 on: 19 April 2023, 18:50:15 »
I was just watching the Adepticon Day 2 Interview with Randel and Loren.

Randle said "yeah" to a question about bringing the Clan Protectorate and the Nova Cats back together.

Also said "yes" to any plans for the Spirit Cats.

I tell you, Alaric is going to sucker the Spirit Cats in to joining his ClanLeague by having Kisho come over and make them a deal they cannot refuse...

Full Genetic Repository, Full Clan Status re-activated, just need to secure the Marik Corridor, conquer those pesky  Thaddeus Marik-statelets and connect the Clan Protectorate to the Wolf-IlClan.
Clan Protectorate

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1176 on: 19 April 2023, 18:53:32 »
At least they'd be doing something instead of languishing in irrelevancy like they have been for over a decade of realtime.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1177 on: 19 April 2023, 19:15:57 »
At least they'd be doing something instead of languishing in irrelevancy like they have been for over a decade of realtime.

To be fair, recovering and rebuilding after an exodus and then genocide takes time. Especially for a Clan society that can't just immediately recruit a bunch of regiments from the civilians. If the Spirit Cats had a novel detailing how they trying to rebuild their society on Marik, and what sort of changes they might have to make (Think Jiyi Chistu for a little example) to make it work, I think that novel would be utterly fascinating even if they never left Marik and got involved in FWL politics.
Clan Protectorate

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1178 on: 19 April 2023, 19:25:30 »
I think that novel would be utterly fascinating even if they never left Marik and got involved in FWL politics.

I'm really torn on this. On the one hand, the fact that the Spirit Cats (via the Clan Protectorate) have an actual say in the FWL political system is pretty neat, and I'd love to get a closer look from a storytelling perspective. On the other hand, I hate that the Cats have bounced from one dominant Spheroid landlord to another one. It seems a bit absurd to me that the Cats would knowingly and willingly place their fate in the hands of another Successor State, especially post-genocide. I know the FWL and the DracCom are two entirely different entities, but I worry that history might repeat itself. And if I were Alaric, this would 100% be my sales pitch to get the Cats on board.
« Last Edit: 19 April 2023, 19:27:58 by tassa_kay »

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1179 on: 19 April 2023, 20:48:48 »
Let’s face it they will have more independence under the FWL especially with the Sea Foxes in their corner.  If they join Alaric I’m more afraid that they’ll be used as cannon fodder and the whole mystic side of the Nova Cats becomes more history than mystery.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1180 on: 20 April 2023, 08:42:00 »
I tell you, Alaric is going to sucker the Spirit Cats in to joining his ClanLeague by having Kisho come over and make them a deal they cannot refuse...

Full Genetic Repository, Full Clan Status re-activated, just need to secure the Marik Corridor, conquer those pesky  Thaddeus Marik-statelets and connect the Clan Protectorate to the Wolf-IlClan.

I… don’t see this. In universe, the resurrection of the Jags as a clan is an attack on the legitimacy of the Second Star League. Nova Cats cast their lot in with the inner sphere against other clans and backed that League. We also catch a lot in HotW that Alaric tries to focus on symbols.

It would be muddied, incoherent symbolism at best if he resurrects Nova Cats.

That being said, I completely believe he’d use Spirit Cats as meat shields if they are dumb enough to agree to it.

Also, your plan would be Alaric asking the flat out impossible for about 5 clusters to do. They’d have to empty their own nation, abandon those reliant on them, and commit everything in a giant gamble to secure worlds that wouldn’t be theirs, all while basically guaranteeing they’ll lose the only safe haven they’ve really had in the sphere and backstab the only group that’s ever treated them right.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1181 on: 20 April 2023, 09:39:57 »
I… don’t see this. In universe, the resurrection of the Jags as a clan is an attack on the legitimacy of the Second Star League. Nova Cats cast their lot in with the inner sphere against other clans and backed that League. We also catch a lot in HotW that Alaric tries to focus on symbols.

That being said, I completely believe he’d use Spirit Cats as meat shields if they are dumb enough to agree to it.

Also, your plan would be Alaric asking the flat out impossible for about 5 clusters to do. They’d have to empty their own nation, abandon those reliant on them, and commit everything in a giant gamble to secure worlds that wouldn’t be theirs, all while basically guaranteeing they’ll lose the only safe haven they’ve really had in the sphere and backstab the only group that’s ever treated them right.

And not to mention that one or two Clusters of the Spirit Cat forces consists of native Leaguers. I am prtetty sure they won't be thrilled to throw their lives away for someone their nation is waging war against

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1182 on: 20 April 2023, 10:04:28 »

That's only because, besides Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf, nobody has had a complete story arch in over a decade.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1183 on: 20 April 2023, 10:37:34 »
That's only because, besides Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf, nobody has had a complete story arch in over a decade.

The Suns (for all the good it did them) and the League DID (if you mean 3140-3150) with the DA novels.

Look, we KNOW Kishio returns somewhere sometime in the Dark Age because he is a legend in THAT era rather than the Dark Age.  Which means the mystics are not going to drop into the same hole quad-vees, tankwarriors, and elstars tumbled.  WHERE Kishio appears IS going to matter . . . with the Foxes?  with the ilClan?  or in the Protectorate?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1184 on: 20 April 2023, 11:17:59 »
the same hole quad-vees, tankwarriors, and elstars tumbled.

QuadVees and TankWarriors didn't drop into any hole. Both things are still actively being used by the Horses.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1185 on: 20 April 2023, 12:37:34 »
The Suns (for all the good it did them) and the League DID (if you mean 3140-3150) with the DA novels.

Look, we KNOW Kishio returns somewhere sometime in the Dark Age because he is a legend in THAT era rather than the Dark Age.  Which means the mystics are not going to drop into the same hole quad-vees, tankwarriors, and elstars tumbled.  WHERE Kishio appears IS going to matter . . . with the Foxes?  with the ilClan?  or in the Protectorate?

I meant real world time, not in game time.   While the Suns pushed back the DC, but Julian hasn't consolidated his authority as First Prince so I wouldn't call that part done...   Though Yuri/Toronaga did finally get wrapped up.   The League arch was wrapped with the end of the DA Novels back in the late 00s.

As much as I like the ilClan Era setting source books, they do leave something to be desired on moving the meta plot forward.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1186 on: 20 April 2023, 12:43:00 »
QuadVees and TankWarriors didn't drop into any hole. Both things are still actively being used by the Horses.

I must have missed where either one were mentioned in Tamar Rising.  Guess we have to see in the Horses upcoming fiction.
Colt Ward

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #1187 on: 20 April 2023, 12:50:55 »
I must have missed where either one were mentioned in Tamar Rising.

There's a TankWarrior Notable Pilot in RecGuide 29, and QuadVees are all over the Horse RATs in Tamar Rising.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1188 on: 22 April 2023, 18:17:30 »

The Spirit Cats started out as a group led by Kev Rosse who basically said the Spirit Cats since coming to the Inner Sphere (More specifically the Combine and Republic) had lost their essentialness, and he swore to bring them back to a "purer" form of Nova Cat. I don't think the Spirit Cats would consider the 2nd Star League and their switching sides during the invasion as anything but a mistake, really.

Second, when I saw Marik Corridor, I'm not talking about all of the FWL, I'm just talking about the space between the IlClan and the Clan Protectorate area. Still a tall order, but not if the Wolves start pressing from the other side.

*shrugs* Ultimately I would have preferred if the Spirit Cats stayed part of the FWL and their own thing, but I do want Kisho and company to join them.
Clan Protectorate

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1189 on: 23 April 2023, 01:07:23 »
The Spirit Cats started out as a group led by Kev Rosse who basically said the Spirit Cats since coming to the Inner Sphere (More specifically the Combine and Republic) had lost their essentialness, and he swore to bring them back to a "purer" form of Nova Cat. I don't think the Spirit Cats would consider the 2nd Star League and their switching sides during the invasion as anything but a mistake, really.

Second, when I saw Marik Corridor, I'm not talking about all of the FWL, I'm just talking about the space between the IlClan and the Clan Protectorate area. Still a tall order, but not if the Wolves start pressing from the other side.

*shrugs* Ultimately I would have preferred if the Spirit Cats stayed part of the FWL and their own thing, but I do want Kisho and company to join them.

I would also prefer that Spirit Cats remain part of the FWL. And the remaining Nova Cats would have joined them. At least because this is how they have the best chance of surviving in the long run. But... If Alaric really expects to restore the Star League not only in name, but also in fact, then he may need Kisho. Not Nova Cats, namely Kisho himself. Don't forget, he is a Kurita to the same extent as Alaric is Steiner. And in the case of the conquest of the Draconis Combine, the clan-born Kurita is clearly the best candidate for him to head this part of the inner sphere. The inhabitants of the Combine would rather accept a descendant of Theodore Kurita than any Moon or Ward.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #1190 on: 23 April 2023, 10:11:08 »
I would also prefer that Spirit Cats remain part of the FWL. And the remaining Nova Cats would have joined them. At least because this is how they have the best chance of surviving in the long run. But... If Alaric really expects to restore the Star League not only in name, but also in fact, then he may need Kisho. Not Nova Cats, namely Kisho himself. Don't forget, he is a Kurita to the same extent as Alaric is Steiner. And in the case of the conquest of the Draconis Combine, the clan-born Kurita is clearly the best candidate for him to head this part of the inner sphere. The inhabitants of the Combine would rather accept a descendant of Theodore Kurita than any Moon or Ward.

I don't think they'd accept either, to be honest. Their prejudice against the Clans is pretty deeply rooted, having been brutalized by the Jags once upon a time, and the rather recent Nova Cat Rebellion might be fresh in their minds. I feel as though trying to install a Clanner as their leader would just lead to massive unrest that would, in turn, strengthen the cause of the Kokuryu-kai. One thing we have to remember about the Dracs is that they're the most hide-bound and xenophobic of all the Great Houses. They would probably all rather take their own lives than submit to anyone outside of their culture.
Welcome to interesting times

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1191 on: 23 April 2023, 12:06:31 »
I don't think they'd accept either, to be honest. Their prejudice against the Clans is pretty deeply rooted, having been brutalized by the Jags once upon a time, and the rather recent Nova Cat Rebellion might be fresh in their minds. I feel as though trying to install a Clanner as their leader would just lead to massive unrest that would, in turn, strengthen the cause of the Kokuryu-kai. One thing we have to remember about the Dracs is that they're the most hide-bound and xenophobic of all the Great Houses. They would probably all rather take their own lives than submit to anyone outside of their culture.

From the point of view of honor, they all had to make a sepuku for themselves when they chose the side of the bastard in the civil war. Thus betraying the rightful heir of the ruling house.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1192 on: 23 April 2023, 18:27:15 »
From the point of view of honor, they all had to make a sepuku for themselves when they chose the side of the bastard in the civil war. Thus betraying the rightful heir of the ruling house.

Yeah, the fact that most of House Kurita sided with Yori during the Nova Cat Rebellion always struck me as a little strange. I could see a majority, maybe 60-75% siding with Yori due to "Nova Cat Trickery", but it felt like other Kurita units besides Deiron should have flipped when Daisuke was revealed to be alive. I guess most of the regiments were loyal more to Kanrei Toranaga moreso than Yori.

Kisho will definitely be getting a Kurita bloodname though, that's for certain.
Clan Protectorate

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1193 on: 24 April 2023, 08:26:25 »

To me it's less the symbolism and more the principle that Clans are above Houses.  If it was the Bears that annihilated the Nova Cats they would not be coming back.   That the rebirth also undermines the Second Star League is just a an unnecessary bonus.   The 2nd League lasted less than a decade and ended in the nuclear fire of the Jihad, I doubt many would look back on it as a success.
« Last Edit: 26 April 2023, 13:58:31 by Geg »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1194 on: 24 April 2023, 11:42:05 »
To me it's less the symbolism and more the principle that Clans are above Houses.  If it was the Bears that annihilated the Nova Cats they would not be coming back.   That the rebirth also undermines the Second Star League is just a an unnecessary bonus.   The 2nd League lasted less than a decade and ended in the nuclear fire of the Jihad, I doubt many would look back on it as a success.

If the Bears had annihilated the Cats, they wouldn't be coming back.
Exactly, if the death of the 2nd Star League was all that it took to invalidate the death of the Jaguars, then couldn't the same have been applied to the death of Clan Mongoose when the Jags died? The difference being one was Clan vs Clan, the other was Clan vs IS powers. Additionally, the Jags had a portion that survived and (in their own way) maintained their way of life. This was not the case with the Mongeese.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1195 on: 03 December 2023, 17:40:20 »
So PAX unplugged revealed 4 new force packs, all Star League themed. The 3rd and 4th pack are the IlClan/Star League, and there's a Wendigo in there.

2nd Star League Assault pack: Daishi Prometheus, Emperor, Argus, Helios, coolant truck

3rd Star League Striker Pack: Lament, Jackalope, Kintaro, Hammerhead II, Havoc, J-27

3rd Star League Battle Pack: Savage Wolf, Wendigo, Excalibur, Peace Keeper, Savior Vehicle

Most likely that is Kisho's, since Legends I had him as an IlClan character and his Wendigo 3D modelled. Also, PAX revealed there is a follow-up novel for Hunting Season, most likely covering Empire Alone content in novel-format, or maybe even new ground post-Empire Alone? I was hoping for a stand alone Spirit Cat novel but that wasn't mentioned at all, but I'm sure the Spirit Cats/Clan Protectorate will feature heavily in a Hunting Season sequel.

Here's hoping we see Kisho re-appear and interact with the Spirit Cats.

Clan Protectorate

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1196 on: 03 December 2023, 18:31:28 »
I wouldn't expect too much. It is unlikely that in the continuation of the “Hunting Season” Spirit Cats will appear more than in the first part or in the novel about the Wolf Dragoons. It’s hardly worth expecting any POVs from them. I think this will be the story of Trenton Marik.
 That's why I'm more excited for a potential novel from Randall.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #1197 on: 03 December 2023, 20:09:09 »

If there is a novel coming from Randall about the Spirit Cats and Kisho's Nova Cats, I really hope it doesn't start in 3152, but goes back to the Spirit Cats conquering Marik and trying to figure out to rule/integrate themselves, and on the flipside the Nova Cats launching their rebellion, failing, and then Kisho fleeing while trying to get to the Clan Protectorate.

I want a story about societies, cultures, surviving genocide, not just "proud warrior is angry at other proud warrior, how will they resolve dumb problem with obvious solution?"
Clan Protectorate

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1198 on: 05 December 2023, 17:33:19 »
I wouldn't expect too much. It is unlikely that in the continuation of the “Hunting Season” Spirit Cats will appear more than in the first part or in the novel about the Wolf Dragoons. It’s hardly worth expecting any POVs from them. I think this will be the story of Trenton Marik.

If Hunting Season covers the initial war against the Wolf Empire, we might see some combat on New Olympia.   We know that the Protectorate was involved in its failed defense and the Cats sent a rescue mission to save their own stuck on planet.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1199 on: 05 December 2023, 23:43:19 »

If Hunting Season covers the initial war against the Wolf Empire, we might see some combat on New Olympia.   We know that the Protectorate was involved in its failed defense and the Cats sent a rescue mission to save their own stuck on planet.
The tax shelter New Olympia must be liberated!