Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202141 times)

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #150 on: 01 August 2013, 15:36:23 »
« Last Edit: 01 August 2013, 15:42:13 by Rncavenger »

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #151 on: 02 August 2013, 00:04:20 »
Wayback machine?
Internet archive.  Google "Wayback Machine" and go to Wizkids.com; you may find more there.  Also, there are some of the files on this site, in the downloads section.  Hope this helps.
Kamose
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 04:46:24 by Kamose »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #152 on: 09 August 2013, 11:42:29 »
Hmm. The end of page 18 and the beginning of page 19 in the Era report are interesting. First of all, it always refers to Spirit Cats as 'Cultists' And 'Aspirants'

Second, it says that at Kev Rosse's request that the other Spirit Cats returned to the Nova Cats in Draconis Combine Space.

They are convinced they need to remain separate and pure because Kev was assassinated. This means that Kisho probably will not be going to the Clan Protectorate.

It also means that the Spirit Cats are now quite vastly different.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 09 August 2013, 11:45:33 »
...This means that Kisho probably will not be going to the Clan Protectorate...

My prediction is he found a way through the Fortress Walls and is reunited with the (former?) Nova Cats absorbed into the Republic.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #154 on: 09 August 2013, 11:48:05 »
Nah, there'd be no point in that.

Kisho has gone deep into the black to join the Wolverines in defending against the alien/Tetatae invasion.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #155 on: 09 August 2013, 12:25:53 »
Hard to make a Spirit Cat with ER3145. They only offer Nova Cats from the Draconis Combine affiliation. But the Republic ones haven't been Draconis Combine for 60 years.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #156 on: 09 August 2013, 12:26:47 »
My prediction is he found a way through the Fortress Walls and is reunited with the (former?) Nova Cats absorbed into the Republic.

If he joins up with that Galaxy Of Troops and comes out swinging on the Draconis Combine the Nova Cat fans will go insane...

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #157 on: 09 August 2013, 12:36:59 »
If he joins up with that Galaxy Of Troops and comes out swinging on the Draconis Combine the Nova Cat fans will go insane...

Basically.

If the walls come down like everyone believes they're about to, pretty much a toss up as to who'd be Republican Enemy Number One.  (well, the only one we can rule out is Steiner)  If they want to take on multiple factions at once, the suriviving/former Nova Cats would be the perfect forces for a Draconis front.

Less probable, but perhaps more interesting would be suriving/former Nova Cats being tasked to the Protectorate front to bring the Spirit Cats back into the fold at gunpoint.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #158 on: 09 August 2013, 12:40:40 »
Less probable, but perhaps more interesting would be suriving/former Nova Cats being tasked to the Protectorate front to bring the Spirit Cats back into the fold at gunpoint.

I think that Jumpships done Jumped already.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #159 on: 09 August 2013, 13:16:16 »
Sounds like the Spirit Cats will get some coverage in the Era Digest that's coming out. After I figured out the right question to ask the writers.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #160 on: 09 August 2013, 18:09:08 »
Hmm. The end of page 18 and the beginning of page 19 in the Era report are interesting. First of all, it always refers to Spirit Cats as 'Cultists' And 'Aspirants'

Second, it says that at Kev Rosse's request that the other Spirit Cats returned to the Nova Cats in Draconis Combine Space.

They are convinced they need to remain separate and pure because Kev was assassinated. This means that Kisho probably will not be going to the Clan Protectorate.

It also means that the Spirit Cats are now quite vastly different.

In another section sad that not all spirit cat answer to this call. Some travel to Clan Protectorat , some stay and defend RoTS.  I think the Spirit Cats are now 2-3 clusters of native cats (1 full (4-5 trinary) that atack Marik world , another one  joined later and may be some Nova cat survivors in third ( guards from merchant fleet for example ).
« Last Edit: 09 August 2013, 18:16:59 by Rncavenger »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #161 on: 09 August 2013, 19:42:16 »

In another section sad that not all spirit cat answer to this call. Some travel to Clan Protectorat , some stay and defend RoTS.  I think the Spirit Cats are now 2-3 clusters of native cats (1 full (4-5 trinary) that atack Marik world , another one  joined later and may be some Nova cat survivors in third ( guards from merchant fleet for example ).

Rikkard arrived at the end of September with a cluster of Spirit Cats. They secure the world at the very beginning of June. So in the middle of that seven month slugging match he figured out that the Orient Protectorate wasn't going to get his back. Then that Kev Rosse wasn't either.

So he gave up honor for the survival of his clan and the Sea Foxes came down and secured the world with them. Then they invited all the other Spirit Cats to join up. But Kev Rosse apparently had decided to join back up with the Nova Cats. Or at least, he died, and his trinary joined Kisho. So why not everyone else?

The Spirit Cats had a Galaxy of troops to begin with. But they got pretty beaten up in the fighting. It does sound like not very many responded.

I'd guess they probably had enough to rebuild their Cluster of true believers though. I wonder where Cox Devalis ended up. That guy is boss.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #162 on: 09 August 2013, 21:52:59 »
Hmm. The Draconis Combine killed our supplier of Shadowhawk and Griffin battlemechs.

I know that the Random Assignment Tables aren't meant to be an end all be all of inventory that the clans have available. Or even the most likely. They're just a game aid.

But I'm always confused on how mechs we produce are less likely to be found fielded by us than other factions.

Maybe its not as strange as I think. But we don't field any Vulture IV's!
Clan Snow Raven and Clan Ghost Bear are far more likely to field Savage Wolfs than us. (Cha-Ching!)

The Mad Cat Mk II is one of the ghost bears primary battlemechs!

(Also of note, We don't sell anything to Clan Jade Falcon! The only thing that might be traced back to us is are Griffin IIC's. So there is a chance its a Griffin IIC we bought from the nova cats, refitted, then sold to them... and a better chance that it isn't! Odds of them getting from Clan Cobras seem pretty slim. Could just be leftovers though.)

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #163 on: 09 August 2013, 22:25:22 »
The info on where all the Spirit Cats/Nova Cats went between 3137-3143 is kind of up in the air.  We know some (Spirit Cats and Nova Cats) made their way to the Clan Protectorate, some (Nova Cats) made their way back to Clan Nova Cat in the DC, some Spirit Cats fought tenaciously against CNC and the DC as they invaded, and that some Nova Cat enclaves (And Spirit Cats) got stuck behind the Fortress Walls (like the Spirit Cats on Outreach.  I like to guess 2 full clusters of Spirit Cats warriors are in the Clan Protectorate, plus a bunch of Officers who make up the commanders of the two Protectorate Guardian Clusters.  Maybe four total clusters of warriors, in addition to the tens of thousands of possible lower caste-people now living on Marik (a drop in the bucket compared to the I.S. population on that planet)?

Then there is Kisho floating around with his warriors, civilians, and genetic repository backups  8) .  One can hope.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #164 on: 10 August 2013, 00:10:45 »
Judging by era report 3145 it doesnt sound like spirit cats are taking nova cats after kev rosse died.

And I used to be the biggest proponent of "spirit cats are just nova cats"

But I dont think its crazy to think kisho made it into the fortress.

I wouldnt worry about the genetics. They have scientist castemen. Their doctors are present in the novels and they have the clan that built most of the genetics equipment on world with them.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #165 on: 10 August 2013, 00:55:41 »
Judging by era report 3145 it doesnt sound like spirit cats are taking nova cats after kev rosse died.

And I used to be the biggest proponent of "spirit cats are just nova cats"

But I dont think its crazy to think kisho made it into the fortress.

I wouldnt worry about the genetics. They have scientist castemen. Their doctors are present in the novels and they have the clan that built most of the genetics equipment on world with them.

The Spirit Cats followed their hearts, just like Nova Cat tradition emphasizes. They're something different now, which is fine. Given their size, I could easily see the Spirit Cats getting subsumed into the Sea Foxes at some future point. They're feisty, but their size keeps them reliant on the Foxes for a lot of infrastructure, as well as acting as a brake for bigger powers trying to take them (looking at you, Alaric). I'm not saying the Cats couldn't survive if given enough time and support, but as fast as things are changing in the current timeline, it makes me wonder.

Still, I don't have any illusions that my Clan is dead, or that Kisho's group will either end up never being heard from again or simply become consumed by some other power. If, somehow, I get thrown some sort of Battletech karmic bone, the walls come down and a galaxy or so of Nova Cats take a bite out of the Combine. With my luck though, the walls will drop and it'll be revealed that all the Cats living inside died in a collective yarn ball accident. Or by tripping up the stairs. I'm easy about it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #166 on: 10 August 2013, 05:12:01 »
Rikkard arrived at the end of September with a cluster of Spirit Cats. They secure the world at the very beginning of June. So in the middle of that seven month slugging match he figured out that the Orient Protectorate wasn't going to get his back. Then that Kev Rosse wasn't either.

So he gave up honor for the survival of his clan and the Sea Foxes came down and secured the world with them. Then they invited all the other Spirit Cats to join up. But Kev Rosse apparently had decided to join back up with the Nova Cats. Or at least, he died, and his trinary joined Kisho. So why not everyone else?

The Spirit Cats had a Galaxy of troops to begin with. But they got pretty beaten up in the fighting. It does sound like not very many responded.

I'd guess they probably had enough to rebuild their Cluster of true believers though. I wonder where Cox Devalis ended up. That guy is boss.
Who is Cox Devalis, and where is he described?
Thanks,
Kamose

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #167 on: 10 August 2013, 06:12:46 »
Who is Cox Devalis, and where is he described?
Thanks,
Kamose

He was a Spirit Cat Star Captain mentioned in the book "Target of Opportunity."
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #168 on: 10 August 2013, 08:24:12 »
Oh. Oops. That random assignment table post was meant for the diamond shark thread. Sorry guys

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #169 on: 10 August 2013, 09:25:33 »
Quote from: Kitsune413

Era Report says that they refuse the message to return to the fold and stick to themselves, not that they turn away any incoming Nova Cats.  Remember, although they call themselves Spirit Cats, they still consider themselves Nova Cats.  In To Ride the Chimera, the delegation Rikkard leads to Oriente is called the "Clan Nova Cat Delegation".  If a bunch of Nova Cat warriors and other castemen showed up over Marik one day, I feel like they would be accepted.

Also, Roosterboy mentioned that the Spirit Cats accepted the Nova Cat enclaves located in the closer Prefectures of the Republic to them (VI, VII, VIII), so there's no bias to other Nova Cats.  The Spirit Cats just wanted to go their own way; the Nova Cat alliance with House Kurita was a dead end.

True.

The Spirit Cats followed their hearts, just like Nova Cat tradition emphasizes. They're something different now, which is fine. Given their size, I could easily see the Spirit Cats getting subsumed into the Sea Foxes at some future point. They're feisty, but their size keeps them reliant on the Foxes for a lot of infrastructure, as well as acting as a brake for bigger powers trying to take them (looking at you, Alaric). I'm not saying the Cats couldn't survive if given enough time and support, but as fast as things are changing in the current timeline, it makes me wonder.

From the picture 3145 paints, the Spirit Cats are doing most of the heavy lifting in the Clan Protectorate.  They staff the Protectorate Guardian Clusters with almost all the officers, they hold Marik as their own planet outright, etc.  The Sea Foxes meanwhile are mostly concerned with the trading aspect in the Protectorate.  Furthermore, with Rikkard and Petr's 'friendship', I don't see an absorption as likely.

Kev Rosse's original goal with the Spirit Cats was to return them to something closer to what the Nova Cats once were; an independent strong Clan that followed its visions.  The Clan Nova Cat of their day was largely vision-less, dominated by the Kesari faction, and holding onto life on reservations guarded by the Draconis Combine.  The Spirit Cats are essentially a return to the old, although they did become a part of the FWL, which might violate Kev Rosse's original precept of making no alliances with Inner Sphere powers.
« Last Edit: 10 August 2013, 15:46:41 by Captain of C-21 »

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #170 on: 10 August 2013, 09:43:13 »
I Also figured they would accept any nova cats back into the fold. But one of the sentences in er 3145 makes me wonder. It says they decide to remain pure after kev rosses death. Ill quote it when I get home.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #171 on: 10 August 2013, 10:38:55 »
Also, Roosterboy mentioned that the Spirit Cats accepted the Nova Cat enclaves located in the closer Prefectures of the Republic to them (VI, VII, VIII), so there's no bias to other Nova Cats.  The Spirit Cats just wanted to go their own way; the Nova Cat alliance with House Kurita was a dead end.

I believe I said I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm fairly sure I didn't state it definitively because anything not yet published is basically unknown.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #172 on: 10 August 2013, 13:50:10 »
He was a Spirit Cat Star Captain mentioned in the book "Target of Opportunity."
Thanks, Jaim
Kamose

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #173 on: 10 August 2013, 15:48:36 »
I believe I said I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm fairly sure I didn't state it definitively because anything not yet published is basically unknown.

Ah sorry about that then. :/

Quote from: Kitsune413
I Also figured they would accept any nova cats back into the fold. But one of the sentences in er 3145 makes me wonder. It says they decide to remain pure after kev rosses death. Ill quote it when I get home.

Well, one can remain "pure" while also allowing others to join them.  The Spirit Cats didn't want to join back up with Jacali Nostra's Nova Cats, but that doesn't mean other Nova Cats can't 'see the light' and come join up on Marik. :)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #174 on: 10 August 2013, 20:28:52 »
Basically.

If the walls come down like everyone believes they're about to, pretty much a toss up as to who'd be Republican Enemy Number One.  (well, the only one we can rule out is Steiner)  If they want to take on multiple factions at once, the suriviving/former Nova Cats would be the perfect forces for a Draconis front
I suspect the CC would be their biggest target, honestly. Kick them out as brutally as possible, and then see if they cant convince the rest of them to give up quietly. Considering some of them were fairly vocal about doing it to 'help the Republic', it'd be gauche to not honor a polite request to do so.

Although I expect the DC will probably need convincing.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #175 on: 10 August 2013, 20:47:51 »
I suspect the CC would be their biggest target, honestly. Kick them out as brutally as possible, and then see if they cant convince the rest of them to give up quietly. Considering some of them were fairly vocal about doing it to 'help the Republic', it'd be gauche to not honor a polite request to do so.

Although I expect the DC will probably need convincing.

I disagree. In the introduction to Technical Readout 3145: The Capellan Confederation, Janella Lakewood names the Confederation as the Republic's most dangerous enemy after the Clans. The Capellans are serious business, but the Wolves and Falcons, especially with their current leadership, are a much more urgent existential threat.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #176 on: 10 August 2013, 21:13:02 »
I disagree. In the introduction to Technical Readout 3145: The Capellan Confederation, Janella Lakewood names the Confederation as the Republic's most dangerous enemy after the Clans. The Capellans are serious business, but the Wolves and Falcons, especially with their current leadership, are a much more urgent existential threat.

Clearly, this means the Cappies need to step up their game!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #177 on: 11 August 2013, 10:53:16 »
Clearly, this means the Cappies need to step up their Crazy!

Fixed that for you ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #178 on: 11 August 2013, 11:02:37 »
Well, Shark Foxes and Cat survivors will now be neighbors of the crazy incarnate, whether or not they step it up. 

Goodbye, cruel Kerensky Cluster... 

Hello, XIN SHENG!   ;D
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #179 on: 11 August 2013, 11:13:41 »
They thought the fire mandrills were crazy, but in the words of ol jack,"Wait till they get a load of me!" and by load they mean -lots- of artillery and mines.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Register