Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202197 times)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #210 on: 15 August 2013, 16:47:32 »
Out of curiosity what Bloodhouse was Rikkard if it was ever mentioned?
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #211 on: 15 August 2013, 16:49:50 »
Out of curiosity what Bloodhouse was Rikkard if it was ever mentioned?

I don't believe it was ever mentioned.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #212 on: 15 August 2013, 17:02:07 »
Never mentioned, my guess is either West or Lossey though., since we had so few of them in the Dark Age.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #213 on: 15 August 2013, 17:23:26 »
A Clanner with no mentioned bloodhouse... the DA really was messed up  :))

A MechWarrior so I'll guess not West they were generally Elementals
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #214 on: 15 August 2013, 17:44:07 »
Isn't anyone with the surname Nova Cat a freeborn?  I could have sworn that was the case, though perhaps not in the Nova Cats.  Or perhaps Abtakha
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #215 on: 15 August 2013, 17:45:00 »
Isn't anyone with the surname Nova Cat a freeborn?  I could have sworn that was the case, though perhaps not in the Nova Cats.

Everyone's Surname is Nova Cat until they win a blood name.

Edit: In Clan Nova Cat.

I wonder about the Abtakha thing. If you get Sonia Sea Fox from Clan Sea Fox into the Spirit Cats, is she still Sonia Sea Fox?
« Last Edit: 15 August 2013, 17:46:34 by Kitsune413 »
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #216 on: 15 August 2013, 17:45:51 »
Ahhh, thanks for the clarification.

edit:  Yeah, I was following that part ;) 

I guess I was thinking of the infamous Elson Nova Cat from the novel Wolfpack
« Last Edit: 15 August 2013, 17:48:18 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #217 on: 15 August 2013, 17:49:51 »
I wonder about the Abtakha thing. If you get Sonia Sea Fox from Clan Sea Fox into the Spirit Cats, is she still Sonia Sea Fox?

Bingo. The Adoption ceremony, you are named for the Clan.  Because abatakha and freeborns are seen as outsiders, I would venture to guess. 

But not sure in this case.  Nova Cats are not normal...   errrr, not Clan normal.  Neither are the Foxes, so it's all good, but just sayin'  :) 

Edit: Unblooded abtakha, Bloodnamed abtakha probably get a cooler ceremony. 
« Last Edit: 15 August 2013, 17:52:14 by rebs »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #218 on: 15 August 2013, 17:53:28 »
Well there can also be confusion about naming conventions because Jaime Wolf and his brother both had the last name Wolf.

But the unit dossiers for Dark Ages have quite a few warriors whose last names are Nova Cat that also happen to be trueborn. For whatever reason its becoming more common to call them by that though. Maybe because they're so deeply entranced in the Inner Sphere now.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #219 on: 15 August 2013, 18:17:35 »
Phelan was renamed Wolf as well.  And Elson Nova Cat was a freeborn Elemental taken at the battle of Luthien.  He refused to accept the name Wolf, iirc.  So I assume freeborns indeed serve in all the Clans present, and often have important roles. 

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #220 on: 15 August 2013, 18:24:41 »
Phelan was renamed Wolf as well.  And Elson Nova Cat was a freeborn Elemental taken at the battle of Luthien.  He refused to accept the name Wolf, iirc.  So I assume freeborns indeed serve in all the Clans present, and often have important roles.

In similar news.

In 'The Clans' TRO there is a MechWarrior Vittoria who failed her exam as a warrior and managed to retest as a vehicle pilot. Which was news to me. Before that I hadn't seen any canon evidence that Clan Sea Fox allowed its warriors to retest like some other clans did.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #221 on: 15 August 2013, 18:26:41 »
In similar news.

In 'The Clans' TRO there is a MechWarrior Vittoria who failed her exam as a warrior and managed to retest as a vehicle pilot. Which was news to me. Before that I hadn't seen any canon evidence that Clan Sea Fox allowed its warriors to retest like some other clans did.

Hopefully this change is detailed soon.   It makes sense.

« Last Edit: 15 August 2013, 18:29:59 by rebs »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #222 on: 15 August 2013, 18:27:59 »
Hopefully this change is detailed soon.   It makes sense.

Maybe in the field manual. But its got a lot of fluff to cover and the Field Manuals about your only way to get extra faction fluff these days.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #223 on: 15 August 2013, 18:30:06 »
Oh how we've changed, the deeper the Clans penetrate into the Inner Sphere.   

Somewhere, Ulric Kerensky is laughing at everyone.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #224 on: 15 August 2013, 18:39:17 »
Oh how we've changed, the deeper the Clans penetrate into the Inner Sphere.   

Somewhere, Ulric Kerensky is laughing at everyone.

Well. They've changed. I think we just got more efficient. We were already Clan, "We Appreciate you Labor Caste!" and, "Lets keep those Omni-Mechs on the down low" "Absorb them? What did they ever do to us?" and, "Lets invade the Inner Sphere so we can trade with them!"

The more you look at Clan Sea Fox the more bizarre it always was.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #225 on: 15 August 2013, 18:44:53 »
I'd like to know how the Chatterweb is doing. Wonder if we can take it Sphere Wide...

Holy. Crap.

We bought Comstar things...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #226 on: 15 August 2013, 18:55:12 »
Well there can also be confusion about naming conventions because Jaime Wolf and his brother both had the last name Wolf.

But the unit dossiers for Dark Ages have quite a few warriors whose last names are Nova Cat that also happen to be trueborn. For whatever reason its becoming more common to call them by that though. Maybe because they're so deeply entranced in the Inner Sphere now.

Jamie and Joshua got a special dispensation for their names - in effect the Wolf at the end of their name is a Bloodname by order of the ilKhan at the time IIRC purely so they would have enough authority to hold onto their position over the time away from the Clans.  If they had returned it would have been interesting to see how that was stepped around... carefully I think

The Wolf's Dragoons adopted this policy with their "Honour names" being carried on through the generations.  But there are few "Wolf" because the Dragoons hold them apart for Jamie and Joshua in memory

If you look you will see many Wolves named Wolf as well, but you will see few in other Clans, this is mainly because the Wolves and Nova Cats are two of the more liberal Clans and allow warriors to show their skill bloodnamed or not unlike the Falcons which see the Bloodname as the ultimate and most important symbol.

Phelan was captured by Clan Wolf so he became Phelan Wolf.  Elson as you mentioned held more loyalty to the Nova Cats than the Dragoons so he kept his Clan's name I think purely to spite the Dragoons.

IIRC all unbloodnamed Warriors, true or free, whatever their Clan are named after their Clan as it is the only way to distinguish where they are from.  The Clans themselves don't really give a crap if they have a Clan name or not because it's not a Bloodname and so not important, or a true surname.

Warriors freeborn or true adopted into their Clan should lose their surname (if Inner Sphere freeborn - like Phelan), adopt their new Clan's name or retain their Bloodname as the Bloodname stands above any bond or rank.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #227 on: 15 August 2013, 19:04:30 »
I'd like to know how the Chatterweb is doing. Wonder if we can take it Sphere Wide...

Holy. Crap.

We bought Comstar things...

Yep.  We're getting all set to reach out and touch someone with a communications industry turn.  :) 

I know the chatterweb in the Homeworlds is toast.  No need to pretend like we like those n00bs in their awkward hyper-monitored chatrooms, anyway.   But we could always fire it up in the FWL and have the true free chatterweb.  It makes total sense. 

Well. They've changed. I think we just got more efficient. We were already Clan, "We Appreciate you Labor Caste!" and, "Lets keep those Omni-Mechs on the down low" "Absorb them? What did they ever do to us?" and, "Lets invade the Inner Sphere so we can trade with them!"

The more you look at Clan Sea Fox the more bizarre it always was.

It's not any single Clan, It is all of them.  As foretold by the master of all things past and present and yet to be, Ulric of the Wolves. 

That we have always been Clan Liberal Interpretation, of course is the true heart of our being.  Trade is simply the easiest way to facilitate and fuel the Clan war machine.  :)   We're Shark Foxes, and we have an historic love for creating truly new modes of culture, something the hawkheads and furry clans don't always busy themselves with.  That's my take. 

edit: Nova Cats excepted, though they be furry too  :))
« Last Edit: 15 August 2013, 19:09:09 by rebs »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #228 on: 15 August 2013, 19:19:47 »
Jamie and Joshua got a special dispensation for their names - in effect the Wolf at the end of their name is a Bloodname by order of the ilKhan at the time IIRC purely so they would have enough authority to hold onto their position over the time away from the Clans.  If they had returned it would have been interesting to see how that was stepped around... carefully I think

The Wolf's Dragoons adopted this policy with their "Honour names" being carried on through the generations.  But there are few "Wolf" because the Dragoons hold them apart for Jamie and Joshua in memory

If you look you will see many Wolves named Wolf as well, but you will see few in other Clans, this is mainly because the Wolves and Nova Cats are two of the more liberal Clans and allow warriors to show their skill bloodnamed or not unlike the Falcons which see the Bloodname as the ultimate and most important symbol.

Phelan was captured by Clan Wolf so he became Phelan Wolf.  Elson as you mentioned held more loyalty to the Nova Cats than the Dragoons so he kept his Clan's name I think purely to spite the Dragoons.

IIRC all unbloodnamed Warriors, true or free, whatever their Clan are named after their Clan as it is the only way to distinguish where they are from.  The Clans themselves don't really give a crap if they have a Clan name or not because it's not a Bloodname and so not important, or a true surname.

Warriors freeborn or true adopted into their Clan should lose their surname (if Inner Sphere freeborn - like Phelan), adopt their new Clan's name or retain their Bloodname as the Bloodname stands above any bond or rank.

I felt that a captured bloodnamed warrior represents new blood for the breeding program much of the time.  Provided they are worthy of that by years of service.  Freeborns surnames are obviously not that same, as you pointed out. 

As for Elson, he indeed did do it to spite the Wolf Dragoons for what he felt was a mockery of Clan ways by a degenerate and traitorous force.  And I think I remember he was surprised and a bit let down even when no one really cared all that much and welcomed him into the Dragoons anyway. 

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #229 on: 15 August 2013, 19:37:27 »

They were promised "Wolf" would become a Bloodname if they successfully completed the Dragoon mission. That kinda went out the window when they turned against the Clans.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #230 on: 16 August 2013, 03:19:36 »
They were promised "Wolf" would become a Bloodname if they successfully completed the Dragoon mission. That kinda went out the window when they turned against the Clans.

I couldn't remember what the agreement was thanks

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #231 on: 16 August 2013, 12:37:20 »
Figured I'd post this here, because then Nova Cats and Sea Foxes see it.

The Thunderbird Battle Armor is supposed to be Nova Cat exclusive and on the RAT for the Draconis Combine it doesn't even show up.

But it shows up in the Clan Sea Fox RAT as 7. Once again, I know that these RATS don't mean a whole lot. But that's the most common result on 2d6. (also that armor is gorgeous)

Built on Barcella on Irece so it was where the Nova Cat last stand happened. Wondering if they're suits we bid from the Draconis Combine or if we can make the things.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #232 on: 16 August 2013, 12:43:32 »
Is the better question why would you want to?  Sea Foxes have the resources to make quality BA.  Leave the low tech stuff to those chumps in the Inner Sphere.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #233 on: 16 August 2013, 13:10:27 »
Is the better question why would you want to?  Sea Foxes have the resources to make quality BA.  Leave the low tech stuff to those chumps in the Inner Sphere.

Not sure. We could equip our freeborns from the Chainelines with it if its cheaper. Its still clan spec equipment. And it looks better...

Not sure why Clan Sea Fox doesn't do more with Battle Armor. Their scientists are on a rampage and they got the elemental blood lines from the horses so we've always had good elementals. But have just kind of stuck with the basic elemental suit. We build the medium battle armor too.

Oh well, guess I just like the look and am curious about the Nova Cat equipment.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #234 on: 16 August 2013, 13:13:59 »
The Thunderbird isn't a bad suit.  It's a heavy trying to do a medium's job, but it's not bad by any means.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #235 on: 16 August 2013, 14:32:16 »

Or just sell it to the dirty spheroids ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #236 on: 16 August 2013, 14:56:44 »
I'd have to be reminded what the BA LBX does to fully condemn it.  Otherwise, you're only going to impress Sphereoids with no access to other clan BA.  The novels give the impression that even Gnomes can be bought by militia forces.  My guess is that we're in another "anything will do" phase.  But in the long term I'd take something domestically produced when the Thunderbird is that lacklustre.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #237 on: 16 August 2013, 15:29:12 »
I'd have to be reminded what the BA LBX does to fully condemn it.  Otherwise, you're only going to impress Sphereoids with no access to other clan BA.  The novels give the impression that even Gnomes can be bought by militia forces.  My guess is that we're in another "anything will do" phase.  But in the long term I'd take something domestically produced when the Thunderbird is that lacklustre.

BA LBX?  Is there a gnome config with it?  I'm confused.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #238 on: 16 August 2013, 22:28:49 »
Well if the Gencon rumor that Kisho and his band of Nova Cats are dead, then all that is left of the Nova Cat tradition is truly in the hands of the Spirit Cats in the Clan Protectorate.  We are the last, true inheritors of our Clan.  May our people grow strong on Marik, safe under the watchful gaze of our warriors.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #239 on: 16 August 2013, 22:44:14 »
Or just sell it to the dirty spheroids ;)

I was about to say, I'm sure there's some schmuck we can sell it to.   ;D
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Register