Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202149 times)

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #270 on: 19 August 2013, 17:22:26 »
If you originally liked the Nova Cats because they were fierce independent warriors, had visions and followed them, and had a great combat record, it's the Spirit Cats who embody that now more than the Nova Cats by 3140 in Kuritan Space.

The Spirit Cats were an attempt by Kev Rosse to reverse the atrophy that had afflicted the Clan ever since the abjurement, an attempt to return to a purer, stronger form of Cat.

To be fair, I got into Battletech through the clix game and the Spirit Cats, but that's just how I see it.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #271 on: 19 August 2013, 17:34:03 »
If you originally liked the Nova Cats because they were fierce independent warriors, had visions and followed them, and had a great combat record, it's the Spirit Cats who embody that now more than the Nova Cats by 3140 in Kuritan Space.

The Spirit Cats were an attempt by Kev Rosse to reverse the atrophy that had afflicted the Clan ever since the abjurement, an attempt to return to a purer, stronger form of Cat.

To be fair, I got into Battletech through the clix game and the Spirit Cats, but that's just how I see it.
No problem - exactly what I mean by people choosing different things.  As far as I'm concerned, the Nova Cats are dead and gone and hopefully will stay that way.  Long live the Spirit Cats!
Cheers,
Kamose

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #272 on: 19 August 2013, 17:47:06 »
Choose as you will, but please do not denigrate the other side if they do not share your choice.
Thanks,
Kamose

Bah. My rather bombastic reply was already gutted by Istal_Devalis and his silly 'Facts'. The fact that he did it with a my little pony avatar makes the defeat a bit more entertaining. But still sad.

But that was the point. Simply a bombastic post to point out that the Spirit Cats are as Nova Cat or more as the Nova Cats in the DCMS. I was going for pompous and overblown. But that's a poor way to convince anybody.

So sorry if you were offended Kamose. Hopefully Wonc will come around. But as you say, its his choice.

I will wait for my next opportunity to pounce upon a poster with Thomas Payne like rhetoric. For now I'm defeated by friendship magic.  [fiddle]

« Last Edit: 19 August 2013, 17:49:00 by Kitsune413 »
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #273 on: 19 August 2013, 17:48:33 »

Also my post was this. Without reason or rationale.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #274 on: 19 August 2013, 17:53:33 »
Bah. My rather bombastic reply was already gutted by Istal_Devalis and his silly 'Facts'. The fact that he did it with a my little pony avatar makes the defeat a bit more entertaining. But still sad.

But that was the point. Simply a bombastic post to point out that the Spirit Cats are as Nova Cat or more as the Nova Cats in the DCMS. I was going for pompous and overblown. But that's a poor way to convince anybody.

So sorry if you were offended Kamose. Hopefully Wonc will come around. But as you say, its his choice.

I will wait for my next opportunity to pounce upon a poster with Thomas Payne like rhetoric. For now I'm defeated by friendship magic.  [fiddle]
Oh, I was not offended at all, Kitsune - and sorry if I gave you that impression.  Just hoping that others can seen WONC's position as well as their own.
Regards,
Kamose

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #275 on: 19 August 2013, 18:02:18 »
Oh, I was not offended at all, Kitsune - and sorry if I gave you that impression.  Just hoping that others can seen WONC's position as well as their own.
Regards,
Kamose

and I understand. Wonc's really upset after the Kisho news too. But I'd like to invite him over to the Spirit Cats all the same and since his last post was pretty anti Spirit Cat I thought some good old pompous rhetoric might sway him. But in retrospect it was ill timed.

I've got my fingers crossed we'll get Istal_Devalis with a Spirit Cat colored Pony in the house...

and in a week we may just know what colors that might be.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #276 on: 19 August 2013, 18:06:03 »
and I understand. Wonc's really upset after the Kisho news too. But I'd like to invite him over to the Spirit Cats all the same and since his last post was pretty anti Spirit Cat I thought some good old pompous rhetoric might sway him. But in retrospect it was ill timed.

I've got my fingers crossed we'll get Istal_Devalis with a Spirit Cat colored Pony in the house...

and in a week we may just know what colors that might be.
That sure sounds interesting... be fun to imagine THAT color scheme!
Kamose

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #277 on: 19 August 2013, 18:28:09 »

Damn Kitsune, you know I love you, right? You've consistently been a cheerleader when the rest of us would go with sackcloth and ashes. You and the Spirit Cat fans have been really good sports for it all, and you all have my thanks.

That said, my Clan is dead. My first, and ultimately my last, faction has been reduced to a stain on the floor and a footnote in future books. I am burned out on all of this. I'm tired of reading how awful things have gone for the bits of fluff I'm invested in. I'm sick of being subjected to a carrot-and-stick methodology to keep me connected to future products. I'm frustrated at having to reconcile feeling both happiness and sorrow from something that is supposed to be my hobby.

The Spirit Cats... they aren't my faction. They're something else, something that I have no reason to feel a connection to. I get why it should be only natural for me to support them. I totally do.

But I don't, and I won't. My Clan died a long, slow death worthy of a Greek tragedy. It would only belabor and mock what I felt about the whole thing to simply declare that I could learn to be content with something similar, yet different. Again, not to say anything bad about any of the Spirit Cat fans out there, or about the Spirit Cats as a faction choice, but I find the idea distasteful. I know for a fact that I'm not alone in that view, either.

The beauty of the Spirit Cats is that they have a rich history to grow from, one organically nurtured over the course of the life of BattleTech. Spirit Cat fans have a wonderful chance to play with and support one of the game's few "home grown" factions (unlike those that sprung forth fully formed, as is the case with the great bulk of all of them). More power to them.

But please, at the end of the day, allow us old Nova Cats to feel what we must. I'm sure a few will probably come around, but the sad truth is that a good portion of us now have nothing holding us here. It's only a matter of time before the breeze blows hard enough to see exactly how many will become part of the new whole, and how many will simply disappear into the ether.

As for myself, I'm already in the wind.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #278 on: 19 August 2013, 18:38:46 »
Simply that what we see now is not what we think of "Clan Nova Cat".  The Spirit Cats are, in an of themselves, a faction worthy of their own name, history, traditions and fans.  The fact that it shares some of that history with the Nova Cats, however does not make them Nova Cats.

Why not? In 3085 best of Nova Cats join to Rots:
Nova Star Keshik
1st Nova Cat Guards
489th Assault Cluster
Shiva Keshik
4th Nova Cat Guards
44th Nova Cat Cavaliers
46th Nova Cat Cavaliers
246th Battle Cluster
Vision Keshik
100th Striker Cluster
274th Battle Cluster

etc . These clusters was main core of NC in Golden Centures and  operation REVIAL ,  fight in Great Refusial and Jihad  .  And they join to RoTS. In DC space stand only 189th Striker Cluster from old units , other all new .  In fact old Clan Nova Cat die in 3085 , when Alpha , Delta and Tau left  "core" clan.  And Spirit Cats descendants from this elite part of the cats.
 And yes - i am long Nova Cat fun (about 14 years) , and i accept SC.  For me SC= original NC  whith another name.

PS Read MWDA Novel: Pandora's Gambit , - Spirit Cats  play here one of the clue role.

« Last Edit: 19 August 2013, 18:56:14 by Rncavenger »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #279 on: 19 August 2013, 19:13:37 »

Damn Kitsune, you know I love you, right? You've consistently been a cheerleader when the rest of us would go with sackcloth and ashes. You and the Spirit Cat fans have been really good sports for it all, and you all have my thanks.

But you'll always have a place with us in the Clan Protectorate, like any good genetically bred son of Drummond.

But I don't, and I won't. My Clan died a long, slow death worthy of a Greek tragedy.

And you know where Greek Tragedies belong, right? That's right! the Oriente Protectorate!

Seriously though. I don't know what it is about battletech that draws you here. But I know you've got it bad enough to make some personality tests about it. Like I told Kamose, there is a certain point of doing something where you can't really stop making it be a part of you. Even if you're not doing it.

You've got friends here anyways. So if you need a friend just swing on over. Even if you find something else to do, or choose to be a Jade Falcon or something crazy like that. I don't care what color you paint your mechs. You're in good company.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #280 on: 19 August 2013, 23:06:45 »
Edited for space...
WONC, that was one of the most eloquent responses I've seen in years and expresses how I feel about the loss of the Nova Cats much better than I ever could.  As another old NC fan, thanks.
Regards,
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #281 on: 19 August 2013, 23:25:10 »
Why not? In 3085 best of Nova Cats join to Rots:
Nova Star Keshik
1st Nova Cat Guards
489th Assault Cluster
Shiva Keshik
4th Nova Cat Guards
44th Nova Cat Cavaliers
46th Nova Cat Cavaliers
246th Battle Cluster
Vision Keshik
100th Striker Cluster
274th Battle Cluster

etc . These clusters was main core of NC in Golden Centures and  operation REVIAL ,  fight in Great Refusial and Jihad  .  And they join to RoTS. In DC space stand only 189th Striker Cluster from old units , other all new .  In fact old Clan Nova Cat die in 3085 , when Alpha , Delta and Tau left  "core" clan.  And Spirit Cats descendants from this elite part of the cats.
 And yes - i am long Nova Cat fun (about 14 years) , and i accept SC.  For me SC= original NC  whith another name.

PS Read MWDA Novel: Pandora's Gambit , - Spirit Cats  play here one of the clue role.

Scavenger, thanks for such a nice summary of the shared history and storied units that gave birth to the Spirit Cats.  And thanks especially for pointing out that the Nova Cat Clan essentially "died" in 3085.  So - why can I not accept the descendents of those units in their new form as being equivalent to their old form?  Simply because they AREN'T those units anymore.  When those units died or were disbanded, all of that great history died WITH them.  What was left and reconstituted in 3132 was different.  Period.  As I have grown older, so has the game.  Some of the changes I can resonate with, while most I cannot - they alienate me.  Lest I sound like WONC, for me this is not just limited to the death of the Nova Cats.  All of my favorite factions are dead, or nearly so, in 3145.  When there is no emotional tie, why stay invested?  For WONC and I, it is as simple as that.  People today ask me what my favorite TV series is.  Truth is, I don't have one.  I haven't watched regularly since the 90's.  Why?  Nothing interests me.  I have no problem with people liking "reality" shows, for instance.  Personally, I think they are incredibly vapid and uninteresting.  Solution?  I do not watch them, nor d  I object to others watching them.  As entertainment products have changed, so have my tastes.  As an old fan, TJIS is really the last vice I have in which I indulge myself.  But when it stops being what I want it to be, I will leave.  It really is as simple as that.  Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.
Regards,
Kamose

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #282 on: 19 August 2013, 23:48:51 »
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.
If I changed it, it'd more likely be Republic colored.

And guys, please stop trying to convince us we're wrong when we think our faction is dead. I know you likely don't meant anything by it, but these are personal feelings you're talking about. The Spirits Cats just...aren't the same to me. I know it's not rational, but these things rarely are.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #283 on: 19 August 2013, 23:50:23 »
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Nova Cain

• Corporal
« Reply #284 on: 20 August 2013, 00:59:35 »
And guys, please stop trying to convince us we're wrong when we think our faction is dead. I know you likely don't meant anything by it, but these are personal feelings you're talking about. The Spirits Cats just...aren't the same to me. I know it's not rational, but these things rarely are.
Love of a faction isn't rational.  No rational argument can replace the feelings of loss and hurt from the CNC being so casually, cruelly swept aside in the way they were.  Perhaps one of the unpublished novels that I've heard exist dealt with the issue, but it certainly doesn't compensate for the way the news was conveyed.

You can't replace the Nova Cats with the Spirit Cats.  They're not the same.  They're not CNC.  It's like replacing your best friend with your best friend's brother.   That said, I found I could embrace the new faction hybrid of Sea Fox, Marik and Spirit Cat. 

When you finally find your new path, I'd suggest avoiding hooking on with one of the factions that looks to be without a future...

...on a lighter note, a bit of trivia:  the original Wendigo had the LRM10 in the right torso, 4 ERMLs and a normal cockpit, based on the sketch.
Mystic Failure:  How the heck did we not see THAT coming?

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #285 on: 20 August 2013, 01:31:42 »
But you'll always have a place with us in the Clan Protectorate, like any good genetically bred[/s] son of Drummond.

And you know where Greek Tragedies belong, right? That's right! the Oriente Protectorate!

Seriously though. I don't know what it is about battletech that draws you here. But I know you've got it bad enough to make some personality tests about it. Like I told Kamose, there is a certain point of doing something where you can't really stop making it be a part of you. Even if you're not doing it.

You've got friends here anyways. So if you need a friend just swing on over. Even if you find something else to do, or choose to be a Jade Falcon or something crazy like that. I don't care what color you paint your mechs. You're in good company.
Sorry I missed this in my earlier response, Kitsune.  I cannot speak for WONC, but it really IS the people on these forums who have kept me coming back, despite the universe getting less and less appealing.  +1 to Kitune' s offer of a friend if you need one, WONC.  While I still dislike most of the changes in the universe, talking to other people has helped me find a place to hang my hat, even if it is only temporarily.  I fully understand your frustration with losing factions; originally, I was a fan of the Steiner-Davion family/FedCom.  Then came the Clans.  I WANTED to be a Wolf fan, but they had too much of Phelan & Vladimir for me.  Then the Nova Cats arrived, and I had my Clan faction.  Since then - FedCom gone, ComStar gone, the Cats gone, Davion & Steiner gone, Liao & Kurita winning.  Basically, it was as if they eliminated or neutered every faction I ever cared about.  I even thought about the FWL, but we all know how that worked out.  But by talking with other forumites, I realized I could pick the Republic AND the Wolves b/c both were lead by/had strong ties to the S-D family.  So whoever wins, I've still got a faction.  The Spirit Cats will have a chance to earn my fandom; suddenly, I have a (few) emotional ties and I'm somewhat excited again.  I still do not appreciate the direction things are going, or trust anyone on the development team to be courteous, professional or a good steward of the line, but I'm still here after 27 years for at least 1 or 2 more.  Just don't give up too soon..we old Cats need to stick together!  And if any developer wishes to disagree with me, that is fine - just actually stick around to debate this time, please.
Thanks,
Kamose
« Last Edit: 20 August 2013, 01:49:19 by Kamose »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #286 on: 20 August 2013, 07:50:32 »
I finally bought 3145 looking at the map I see the Protectorate as a Speed Hump to the Empire's path (sorry Spirit Cat fans) it's largely based on the path of how I see things going

Most of you who know of me will know I "live" now more in AUs now than canon anyway

IF the Nova Cats had died out during the Jihad or joined the Republic wholesale then maybe I'd see the Spirit Cats as the inheritors but as it stands they stood apart from their home Clan not against them but apart. To me that's the separation maybe ill drift back into the canon sometime
« Last Edit: 20 August 2013, 07:52:14 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #287 on: 20 August 2013, 10:18:27 »
Lyle: I got the Spirit... You should get on it... It's a good train.

Gotta catch the Spirit...Cat.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #288 on: 20 August 2013, 10:23:07 »
I woke up thinking, "Man. at the end of the week I'll finally (hopefully) know how to paint my Sea Fox Mechs."

then thought, "I'd like to paint a Spirit Cat mech, but I don't even know what mechs they field. Oh wait! The Field Manual will be out so maybe I'll have their rats!"

I'm pretty excited.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #289 on: 20 August 2013, 13:35:28 »
At this point I wonder if the Spirit Cats have any industry within their Clan Protectorate.  I hope that they can secure some deals with the Sea Foxes to get a mobile factory or two, or maybe the Wendigo and Nova Cat production lines from the Sea Fox Khanate hanging around Kuritan space.

Spirit Cats kind of used whatever designs they could get, given that most of their equipment came from Republic militias and Standing Guard units (and their own Clan militia Clusters, of course).  At this point, you could really have Spirit Cats in any mechs you choose. :)

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #290 on: 20 August 2013, 14:17:04 »
At this point I wonder if the Spirit Cats have any industry within their Clan Protectorate.  I hope that they can secure some deals with the Sea Foxes to get a mobile factory or two, or maybe the Wendigo and Nova Cat production lines from the Sea Fox Khanate hanging around Kuritan space.

Spirit Cats kind of used whatever designs they could get, given that most of their equipment came from Republic militias and Standing Guard units (and their own Clan militia Clusters, of course).  At this point, you could really have Spirit Cats in any mechs you choose. :)

There is a factory on Abadan.  :)

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #291 on: 20 August 2013, 15:04:53 »
Personally, I see the Spirit Cats as the inheritors of the Nova Cats, and I am rooting for them.  I realize that some Nova Cat fans disagree, and I understand your point-of-view.  But they are all from the same gene pool.
As for Kisho, he will be missed, but he may have died fighting a rear-guard action that allowed the lower castes to survive to reach the protectorate.  At least, that is my hope.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #292 on: 20 August 2013, 19:01:28 »
Okay, I just read the transcript of a broadcast by Herb.  He said that the Spirit Cats were "basically pirates".  :( I hope that changes for the better.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #293 on: 20 August 2013, 20:08:34 »
Okay, I just read the transcript of a broadcast by Herb.  He said that the Spirit Cats were "basically pirates".  :( I hope that changes for the better.

*Head desk*
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #294 on: 20 August 2013, 20:11:38 »
Where could we read this, if we were so inclined?  Super-curious.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #295 on: 20 August 2013, 20:12:46 »
PLOT TWIST:  Herb is a dog person.  Any reference to his cats with nukes are actually blatant lies.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #296 on: 20 August 2013, 20:15:34 »

He has used that exact same language to describe all the splinter groups from the MWDA game. Don't read too much into it.

Essentially, though, it's true. Those initial groups–most of them, at least–broke off from the RAF or stole equipment from the RAF or were in some other way renegades within the Republic. Or, to put it less charitably, pirates.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #297 on: 20 August 2013, 20:17:44 »
Framed in that context, the pirate label makes more sense. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #298 on: 20 August 2013, 20:18:06 »
He has used that exact same language to describe all the splinter groups from the MWDA game. Don't read too much into it.

Essentially, though, it's true. Those initial groups–most of them, at least–broke off from the RAF or stole equipment from the RAF or were in some other way renegades within the Republic. Or, to put it less charitably, pirates.

Okay, mateys.  Change o' plans.  Everybody grab the eyepatches and the rum.  Drink up, me hearties, yo ho!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #299 on: 20 August 2013, 20:22:29 »
Okay, mateys.  Change o' plans.  Everybody grab the eyepatches and the rum.  Drink up, me hearties, yo ho!

My knee locks up if I keep it in the Captain Morgan pose too long. :'(  Bummer.  But on the bright side, I'm mostly unafraid of macaws  O0

Register