Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202155 times)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #360 on: 14 September 2013, 02:43:34 »
If you are planning on creating them for a campaign rolling them up on the RAF RAT makes sense and then using the FWLM RAT for combat loss replacement.

I like that, thanks. I wish more of the new FWL 'Mechs had minis but such is life I suppose. I have to say I'm rather surprised the Prefect isn't seen in more RATs with Irian being independent. I'll have to keep looking at FWL designs, if anyone has any ideas for 'Mechs that I can get minis of I'd love to hear them.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #361 on: 14 September 2013, 03:08:43 »
I asked about notable Clan Protectorate pilots in TRO:3145 on the Marin thread.  If anybody replies over there, I'll mention it here.
Kamose

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #362 on: 14 September 2013, 03:58:54 »
I asked about notable Clan Protectorate pilots in TRO:3145 on the Marin thread.  If anybody replies over there, I'll mention it here.
Kamose

Thanks, I appreciate that.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
« Reply #363 on: 14 September 2013, 04:05:52 »
Thanks, I appreciate that.
No problem, always willing to help a fellow Cat fan out.
Regards,
Kamose

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #364 on: 15 September 2013, 09:18:15 »
Well, I just got my hands on FM3145, and all I can say is, TPTB gave me more than I was expecting.  Pretty sure I called it a few months ago that the Clan Protectorate would have 4 clusters, two pure Spirit Cat, 2 Protectorate Guardians but now they have 6, 3 Nova Cat/Spirit Cat, 2 Protectorate Guardians, and 1 Sea Fox.  And Rikkard Nova Cat will be leading them in Trials of Possession all over Clan Wolf territory, yippie!

Really happy to see Shiva Keshik and the Purifiers reconstituted, Purifiers were so fun back in the clix game.  Also, I am betting that the Omicron Cluster was originally going to be a Spirit Cat cluster too, since the third Spirit Cat cluster in the Spirit Cat Galaxy was also called Omicron.  I think TPTB probably decided giving the Spirit Cats ALL their Clusters back in almost full condition was probably a bit too much, so they switched it to see Fox at the last minute.  Would make sense why the Star Colonel is of Nova Cat bloodname.

If Battletech ever gets back to writing novels, I would really hope for a FWL that focuses on Clan Protectorate, just to see how the Clan culture and Inner Sphere culture melds over the coming years.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #365 on: 16 September 2013, 01:20:41 »
*mutters something*

Omicron was supposed to be the old Spirit Cats cluster.

Øystein

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #366 on: 16 September 2013, 01:31:13 »
*mutters something*

Øystein

I was curious about this.  :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #367 on: 16 September 2013, 02:15:39 »
*mutters something*

Øystein

Interesting to see them survive - they're just about the only remains of any of the original  splinter factions left from the WizKids dossiers: the Dragons Fury are dead/absorbed, same for the Swordsworn, the Raiders are MIA and the Steel Wolves are split into two merc units and maybe a handful of survivors.
I guess the Stormhammers are still around - just now firmly a part of the LCAF

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #368 on: 16 September 2013, 08:04:19 »
Well, we know the RAF wiped out the Band of Five part of the Raiders when the walls went out.
Probably involved a lot of collateral damage, knowing the Band of Five.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #369 on: 18 September 2013, 16:02:30 »
Really happy to see Shiva Keshik and the Purifiers reconstituted, Purifiers were so fun back in the clix game.  Also, I am betting that the Omicron Cluster was originally going to be a Spirit Cat cluster too, since the third Spirit Cat cluster in the Spirit Cat Galaxy was also called Omicron.  I think TPTB probably decided giving the Spirit Cats ALL their Clusters back in almost full condition was probably a bit too much, so they switched it to see Fox at the last minute.  Would make sense why the Star Colonel is of Nova Cat bloodname.[/spoiler]

If Battletech ever gets back to writing novels, I would really hope for a FWL that focuses on Clan Protectorate, just to see how the Clan culture and Inner Sphere culture melds over the coming years.
I think Omicron is the same Cluster that was part of the original Spirit Cats, but it was attached to Delta Aimag for strategic reasons.

the Steel Wolves are split into two merc units and maybe a handful of survivors.
Three actually; the Wolf Hunters, Steel Wolf Corps and Steel Wolves.

I guess the Stormhammers are still around - just now firmly a part of the LCAF
I'm a little confused as to the status of the Stormhammers; they never get mentioned as having been destroyed of absorbed, but they don't get an entry in FM:3145. I'm guessing they still exist as a pro-Lyran paramilitary group that's not actually part of the LCAF.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #370 on: 19 September 2013, 01:10:54 »
Did the Steel Wolf Corps get a mention in FM: 3145 - I know I certainly saw the other two but may have missed the Corps.

Stormhammers - there was a mention that they were expanded and that briefly the Broken Swords were rolled into them.
Interesting that they didn't get their own write up.

I also wonder what happened to that detached element of the Stormhammers, left in prefecture IX - they help fight of the Wolves in 3137. Wonder if they rejoined their old unit or stayed put?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #371 on: 19 September 2013, 08:29:55 »
Jassek is listed in the LCAF roster, but not as the Stormhammer CO.  Maybe they were broken up after the Steiner Strikers were split off.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #372 on: 19 September 2013, 10:33:15 »
Did the Steel Wolf Corps get a mention in FM: 3145 - I know I certainly saw the other two but may have missed the Corps.
No, but in the absence of new information, I'm assuming they're still around.

Jassek is listed in the LCAF roster, but not as the Stormhammer CO.  Maybe they were broken up after the Steiner Strikers were split off.
Interesting, I didn't notice that. Maybe when Jasek got promoted, he put one of his subcommanders in charge of the Stormhammers.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #373 on: 19 September 2013, 20:40:46 »
FM3145 only lists "notable" Merc units. The Steel Wolf Corp might still exist, but not be big/notable enough to register.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #374 on: 22 September 2013, 16:56:14 »
If I remember right, the Steel Wolves, when they split, went a bunch of a different ways.  Almost two Clusters went with the new Galaxy Commander Fetladral to go back after Tigress, which after his dishonorable conduct against Anastasia Kerensky, was then taken over by Verena Wolf, the aerospace Star Captain (Now Galaxy Commander) all the way back from a Call  to Arms.

The Wolf Hunters, about a battalion/cluster in size, went with Anastasia Kerensky and did their thing.

A smaller, couple of trinaries or binaries worth of vehicles (A Battalion maybe?) went with Xera Wolf and became the Steel Wolf Corps, an all-vehicle Mercenary command.  Those are the ones in the Field Manual, right next to the Clan Protectorate.

Two Binaries joined up with an independent mercenary command that was last seen in Prefecture 9, scouting for lost Word of Blake Cells.  That included a star of mechs, a star of Elementals, some vehicles, and a point or two of unarmored infantry.

And then there were the random star or individual warrior who just dispersed when Anastasia drank her 'merc aid'.  Yulri Wolf was one of these.  Same with Kris Carns, and Gwen Fletladral.  Really interested to see what happens with Gwen actually, since the TRO mentioned she was nursing a serious hatred of Kerensky since he killed Kal Radick and ran the Steel Wolves into the ground.

I wonder if the Steel Wolves Corp could be lured to the Clan Protectorate.  Start their own enclave there, reimmerse themselves into the Clan way of life.  Most of them were probably Freeborn warriors from the Wolf Lancers Cluster originally though, so maybe they're happy merc'ing it up too.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #375 on: 22 September 2013, 17:21:00 »
If I remember right, the Steel Wolves, when they split, went a bunch of a different ways.  Almost two Clusters went with the new Galaxy Commander Fetladral to go back after Tigress, which after his dishonorable conduct against Anastasia Kerensky, was then taken over by Verena Wolf, the aerospace Star Captain (Now Galaxy Commander) all the way back from a Call  to Arms.

The Wolf Hunters, about a battalion/cluster in size, went with Anastasia Kerensky and did their thing.

A smaller, couple of trinaries or binaries worth of vehicles (A Battalion maybe?) went with Xera Wolf and became the Steel Wolf Corps, an all-vehicle Mercenary command.  Those are the ones in the Field Manual, right next to the Clan Protectorate.

Two Binaries joined up with an independent mercenary command that was last seen in Prefecture 9, scouting for lost Word of Blake Cells.  That included a star of mechs, a star of Elementals, some vehicles, and a point or two of unarmored infantry.

And then there were the random star or individual warrior who just dispersed when Anastasia drank her 'merc aid'.  Yulri Wolf was one of these.  Same with Kris Carns, and Gwen Fletladral.  Really interested to see what happens with Gwen actually, since the TRO mentioned she was nursing a serious hatred of Kerensky since he killed Kal Radick and ran the Steel Wolves into the ground.

I wonder if the Steel Wolves Corp could be lured to the Clan Protectorate.  Start their own enclave there, reimmerse themselves into the Clan way of life.  Most of them were probably Freeborn warriors from the Wolf Lancers Cluster originally though, so maybe they're happy merc'ing it up too.

You got your Steel Wolves a little mixed there.

It was Xera who initially allied with Varnoff Fetladral with the pair of them managing to get together almost a galaxy of troops. Xera later deposed Varnoff. Presumably, it's the remnant of this force (one cluster, 75%) that's in FM3145

Nikola Wolf was the leader of the Steel Wolf Corp. The unit consisted of a binary of vehicles and some Infantry, both armoured and on foot. No idea as to their fate as of 3145; they simply could not be a 'notable' unit.

A star of 'Mechs and Elementals under the command of Star Commander Tal Sender joined up with Jamison's Juggernauts and were the group that fought the hidden Wobbies (Ironically, they were working for a Falcon-allied world). Again the Juggernauts arent in FM3145

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #376 on: 22 September 2013, 20:04:03 »
Quote from: Captain of C-21

'Lured' is a good word for it.  My Spirit Cats would confiscate their equipment as Isorla, then make bondsmen of the few warriors they deem worthy of the effort.  The remainder would be sent home with advice to find some other form of employment.

Wer are not amused by the Rusty Puppies.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #377 on: 22 September 2013, 20:37:43 »
You got your Steel Wolves a little mixed there.

It was Xera who initially allied with Varnoff Fetladral with the pair of them managing to get together almost a galaxy of troops. Xera later deposed Varnoff. Presumably, it's the remnant of this force (one cluster, 75%) that's in FM3145

Nikola Wolf was the leader of the Steel Wolf Corp. The unit consisted of a binary of vehicles and some Infantry, both armoured and on foot. No idea as to their fate as of 3145; they simply could not be a 'notable' unit.

A star of 'Mechs and Elementals under the command of Star Commander Tal Sender joined up with Jamison's Juggernauts and were the group that fought the hidden Wobbies (Ironically, they were working for a Falcon-allied world). Again the Juggernauts arent in FM3145

Ah, yeah you're right.  Although the Steel Wolf Merc unit in the FM is Listed as "Steel Wolf Corp", which is Nikola's old unit, but with Xera in charge.  Very strange, I guess most Steel Wolves went back to Clan Wolf, judging on how Kris Carns and Gwen Fetladral are now Wolf Warriors once again.

And GhostCat, I do not think the Spirit Cats can afford to be so selective.  If they could get that 75% Cluster as a part of their Protectorate forces (and the planet too to boot), I feel like there would be plenty of room for a Steel Wolves Enclave or two in the Protectorate.  I have been wondering lately if that's not exactly what the Clan Protectorate is going to become, a bunch of Clan enclaves all over the Protectorate, but ones that don't fight with each other.  A number of a different Clans that all band together against common foes but don't turn on each other in the meantime.  A little bit different from say the Homeworlds or the different OZs, where the Clans may occupy the same worlds but still fight with each other.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #378 on: 22 September 2013, 20:54:35 »
Although the Steel Wolf Merc unit in the FM is Listed as "Steel Wolf Corp", which is Nikola's old unit, but with Xera in charge.

No, it's the Steel Wolves who are listed, with Xera in command (p182).

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #379 on: 23 September 2013, 18:49:24 »
Well that's just odd.  So then Xera decided it was best to go merc too then, huh?  And these were supposed to be the Clan warriors who despised going merc as Anastasia had done, very strange.  Although I doubt we'll ever see much explanation for what path they took after 3135.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #380 on: 23 September 2013, 19:13:35 »
Well that's just odd.  So then Xera decided it was best to go merc too then, huh?  And these were supposed to be the Clan warriors who despised going merc as Anastasia had done, very strange.  Although I doubt we'll ever see much explanation for what path they took after 3135.

I think it was less a 'best option' as it was an 'only option'. Varnoff Fetladral's plan to take back Tigress was a fool's errand. The world was in effect annexed by the FedSuns via Erik Sandoval-Grossel circa October 3135, and was absorbed into the Suns later. It was then, at some point after that, taken by the CC. Varnoff had a galaxy (about three clusters IIRC) of mixed troops to take and hold a world that two different Successor States were fighting over.

Xera deposed Varnoff in October 3136; it's not clear what portion of their troops chose to follow her, but I'm sure that this further depleted her forces. That still leaves a nine-year gap in which the troops at her disposal shrank further to one understrength cluster. During that time, the remaining Republic worlds outside the Fortress are retaken or absorbed by the other Successor States. The original Steel Wolf goal, to carve out a mini-Empire within the Republic, was no longer viable. Mercenary work, while clearly not their original goal, does maintain a degree of independence that they'd lose if they joined another group.

Of course, I suspect that joining the Wolf Empire is a no-no simply because of Anna K. being a part of said Empire and the not inconsiderable amount of hatred that Xera's Steel Wolves must have for her.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #381 on: 24 September 2013, 04:37:49 »
Also, we don't know the nature o them going merc.
- are they freelancer thugs with mechs
- or pseudo house troops styled after the WiE?

We don't really know and the Field Manual doesn't make clear - probably intentionally - how long they've been at their current duty station.
They could be like Comancho's calleberios and serving as "mercs" protecting their home worlds for years and years

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #382 on: 24 September 2013, 08:54:14 »
The Republic has been their home for awhile. They may have trouble joining the wolf empire considering its obviouslygoing to make a run on terra.

Their galaxy also made a run on terra. But they may have viewed their own invasion as something different.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #383 on: 29 September 2013, 09:24:28 »
SO to get back to the Clan Protectorate itself... I want to know, down the road, what do you think are the realistic force projections we could see the Clan Protectorate be capable of?  Right now, we have 6 Clusters, four Trueborn/Clansmen, and 2 mixed with a heavy emphasis on native freeborns.  The Protectorate itself has 7 planets, and some manufacturing base (And for all we know, the Spina Khanate may be looking to set up some of their own factories).

I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to say in 20-30 years the Clan Protectorate rolling two full Galaxies, and after that, maybe even more.  If the Exile Wolves can roll 3 Galaxies off of Arc Royal, no reason the Spirit Cats, Sea Foxes, and Nova Cats can't do the same off of 7 planets.

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #384 on: 29 September 2013, 11:44:15 »
 If protectorate force capture some border mech factory from wolf (in potential FWL counteratack , or in some trial) , or (whith Sea Fox help) can build one on Marik - then 3-5 galaxy .
I think main question for them -  breeding program, and new generation of warriors.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #385 on: 29 September 2013, 12:38:28 »
If protectorate force capture some border mech factory from wolf (in potential FWL counteratack , or in some trial) , or (whith Sea Fox help) can build one on Marik - then 3-5 galaxy .
I think main question for them -  breeding program, and new generation of warriors.

They have angel ii. :) they have a factory.

Dreyf

• Sergeant
« Reply #386 on: 29 September 2013, 17:23:58 »
They have angel ii. :) they have a factory.

There is also a 'Mech factory on Abadan.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #387 on: 29 September 2013, 17:42:56 »

With the Nova Cats fleeing the Republic space bringing with them their enclave populations, and the Sea Foxes probably willing to provide some extra breeding tech, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spirit Cats/Nova Cats already had their breeding program back up and running, with the first generation of new Marik-decanted sibkos already mewling.  Between washed out trueborn civilians, the warriors in their clusters, and the enclave gene samples, they probably have a pretty good selection of warrior genes to use.

The Battlemech and vehicle factories already in the Clan Protectorate make me happy.  Time to fix them up to Clan-specs.

You know, I am also wondering about the cultural divide between the Spirit Cats and Nova Cats.  Given how influential Kev Rosse was to the Spirit Cats, I wonder if they are still not building up the mysticism around their departed leader.  That they managed to find a sanctuary that not only allows them to exist but is treating them far better than the Combine ever did must have helped Kev Rosse's (and by his own leadership, Rikkard's) visions and reputation among the warriors and civilians.  It would be very interesting to see if the Spirit Cats maintain their Clan way of life, but almost build a religion around Kev Rosse (or maybe make a pantheon with him and several other former Khans) and his visions that 'saved' them.  The Nova Cats who don't buy into it of course could still be there, but might get ostracized a little from positions of leadership and accolades.

There is only Kev Rosse and Rikkard Nova Cat is His Prophet. :D

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #388 on: 06 October 2013, 10:38:59 »
*mutters something*

Øystein

The Force Deployment lists us at 5 Galaxies and 30 clusters. But the text for Omicron says that 'Omicron Cluster left Delta Aimag" like they are a galaxy instead of a Cluster.  ;D

They are at 66% though, so if Clan Sea Fox still runs 5-6 trinaries deep it almost makes sense. Though now we can start making threads about what happened to Clan Spirit Cats original Omicron Galaxy? Cluster?

Funny enough if you do a search through MWDA uniques Omicron is listed as being a full Galaxy. But in the fluff text its usually referred to as a Cluster. But not always! sometimes they call it a full galaxy.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #389 on: 06 October 2013, 13:47:16 »
Omicron Cluster was a Spirit Cat Cluster, operating in the Republic during the early years of the Blackout.  Omicron Galaxy I am pretty sure was a Nova Cat Provisional Galaxy operating at the time of the Nova Cat/Kuritan Invasion of the ROTS (3136-3138).  At least I am pretty sure there was an Omicron Galaxy.  The other Galaxies were Alpha (The Elite), and Psi Provisional (The one with the crazy camouflage patterns).

As for the Omicron Cluster in the Clan Protectorate, even though the Fluff says it is Sea Fox in origin, given that the Line Developers were going to make it the original Spirit Cat Cluster and changed it at the last minute, I like to pretend it is still the Spirit Cat one.  Plus, it's being commanded by a Spirit Cat warrior, and seems to be under the command of Galaxy Commander Rikkard Nova Cat, so there's always that.