Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202161 times)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #480 on: 27 April 2014, 21:09:07 »
The Clan protectorate gives the Foxes a seat in the FWL parliament. Who cares about the Spirit Cats?

No, the Protectorate gets seven seats (one for each world) but that doesn't mean the Foxes have one. The part in FM3145 where it says that Spina Khanate has a seat in Parliament is in error.

That's not to say that the representative from one of the Protectorate worlds couldn't be a Sea Fox, but it's not a given.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #481 on: 27 April 2014, 22:52:25 »
The Clan protectorate gives the Foxes a seat in the FWL parliament. Who cares about the Spirit Cats?

The nu-FWL.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #482 on: 28 April 2014, 13:08:53 »

It might actually be a good thing that there are so few Spirit Cats, because they don't travel in large groups and enjoy being in target rich environments.  Of course, the one you need to fear is not the one that's dancing in plain sight, taking all the abuse you can dish out.  But that's what "Bait and Switch" is all about. 

And by the time you realize that somebody has gone missing, it'll be too late to notice that the one you were watching isn't where he's supposed to be either. 

GC

"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #483 on: 30 April 2014, 01:33:23 »
I've noticed a trend with Nova Cat players to be quite in character on the boards...

Not in character, but passionate. Once upon a time, Cat fans were among some of the most vocal and active on the boards, even if we were never as large a group as the Bear, Falcon, or Wolf fans. That was a long time ago, though.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #484 on: 30 April 2014, 02:34:56 »
Not in character, but passionate. Once upon a time, Cat fans were among some of the most vocal and active on the boards, even if we were never as large a group as the Bear, Falcon, or Wolf fans. That was a long time ago, though.

I think that's the most painful part of the demise of Clan Nova Cat; the fans aren't posting as much. Though I've found that I like the Spirit Cats I don't blame Nova Cat fans for not feeling the same.

I noticed that some of the latest literature hinted that Clan Nova Cat had given up on visions, or at least did not allow them the role they once had. If that's the case then I have to say that I like the Purifiers Cluster even more; I like my Nova Cats old school  :D
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #485 on: 30 April 2014, 03:00:49 »
I noticed that some of the latest literature hinted that Clan Nova Cat had given up on visions, or at least did not allow them the role they once had. If that's the case then I have to say that I like the Purifiers Cluster even more; I like my Nova Cats old school  :D

Its kind of hard to trust in visions that led to the demise of the Clan (and the annihilation of most-if not all-the mystic caste).  However, weren't the Spirit Cats led to Marik because of a vision?   O0

Many Nova Cat fans hated the way the writers destroyed their Clan.  I know at least one fan who created an AU where the Nova Cats led a Refusal War-like campaign.  When it became obvious that most of the DCMS sided with Yori, the majority of the Clan's force kept the attention focused on them while the rest salvaged what they could, fled the DC (along with Emi Kurita and Katana Tormark) and set up shop on Marik.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #486 on: 30 April 2014, 03:27:22 »
Nothing worse than zagging when you should have zigged ... or as the rabbit says 'I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque'

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #487 on: 30 April 2014, 05:26:04 »
Its kind of hard to trust in visions that led to the demise of the Clan (and the annihilation of most-if not all-the mystic caste).  However, weren't the Spirit Cats led to Marik because of a vision?   O0

The Nova Cats in Kuritan Space gave up  on Visions following the Second Combine-Dominion War, meaning that by 3132 a cultural rift had developed between CNC in KS and CNC in ROTS.  The Nova Cats in the Republic though, still strongly believed in visions, as evidenced by Kev Rosse.  The Nova Cats in Kuritan Space though, seemed to try to salvage that cultural belief, by creating the Mystic Caste to handle it for the whole Clan.

Many Nova Cat fans hated the way the writers destroyed their Clan.  I know at least one fan who created an AU where the Nova Cats led a Refusal War-like campaign.  When it became obvious that most of the DCMS sided with Yori, the majority of the Clan's force kept the attention focused on them while the rest salvaged what they could, fled the DC (along with Emi Kurita and Katana Tormark) and set up shop on Marik.

Interesting, link?

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #488 on: 30 April 2014, 07:40:15 »
I know I tended to avoid the IC stuff. For me, it was more like the Cats were my favorite sports team.

I think that's the most painful part of the demise of Clan Nova Cat; the fans aren't posting as much. Though I've found that I like the Spirit Cats I don't blame Nova Cat fans for not feeling the same.
Yeah. I cant feel quite as passionate about the game as I used to.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #489 on: 30 April 2014, 07:50:31 »
The Cats within the Combine as a whole hadn't given up on their traditional beliefs, but the politically dominate group within the Irece Prefecture Cats had gone pragmatic. The development of the Mystics actually predates the rise of this group (Kesari - spelling?) though.

As a Cat fan ... still around ... biding my time.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #490 on: 30 April 2014, 07:59:54 »
I would imagine that living in the Combine as the Cats were was enervating to their very soul.  As though they were dead, or partly-dead, mostly dead, before the DC finished them off.   :-\
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #491 on: 30 April 2014, 10:13:23 »

The Spirit Cats and the Nova Cats had visions of the nova cats being destroyed.

Kisho had visions of spirit cats and dragons feasting on the corpses of nova cats.

Kev Rosse had visions of getting away and starting their own thing before they got destroyed.

Rikkard had visions of Marik.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #492 on: 30 April 2014, 16:03:11 »
Anyone have visions of grandeur?

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #493 on: 30 April 2014, 16:15:38 »
Not since the Warriors and Merchants got all starry-eyed in the build up to REVIVAL.  :P

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #494 on: 30 April 2014, 17:10:55 »
I keep hoping for Nova Cats who had been behind the wall to react to the situation around them, the DC, or otherwise.  Not sure how effective the effort will be, but if they could hook up with the protectorate, who knows what can happen. 

That might be like a vision of grandeur, though I would think grandeur too strong a word for it perhaps. 

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #495 on: 30 April 2014, 23:34:19 »
Do we know of any equipment being built on Marik?  I figure the MSC had some sort of production on planet.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #496 on: 30 April 2014, 23:50:06 »
Do we know of any equipment being built on Marik?  I figure the MSC had some sort of production on planet.

Cheetah ASF, Planetlifter. Possibly Eagle ASF.

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #497 on: 06 May 2014, 18:52:56 »
@ Molossian Dog IIC

In its full size as a whole Clan is Clan Sea Fox stronger, but they can't move the whole Touman, to attack Marik or the Cats.
The Clan is splitted in many Garrison forces.

It think it ins not in the interest of the foxes to dominate Clan Spirit Cats.
A War take resources and profits, i think the foxes better made there a good deal for them what looks good for the cats but is great for them self.

But to compare the Sea Fox with the East India Company is just wrong!
They was a tyranic Company who dont care of non British lifes.
I Think the Foxes are more human in open a market. ( i never read from a Revolt against the Sharks )

@All

I think for Both Clans it work well and they have more interest on good relations as fight each other.
Maybe the Clan have in far future some inner political problems, but i think both wanna keep the Protectorate alive.

Are the surviving Nova Cats independently?

Guys in some of your posts 'Shark Foxes' sounds like an own Faction ?!?
did i have something not read ?

« Last Edit: 06 May 2014, 18:56:58 by Doy »

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #498 on: 06 May 2014, 21:12:56 »
I think the Foxes can resist the temptation to attack the allied factions and Clans in the Protectorate.  Though suggesting that ANY Clan would do something sensible or reasonable is pretty much an oxymoron in the making. 

For the moment, the Foxes are doing what they do best, and have no reason to change what obviously works.  The SCats are very good at winning battles and even the NoCats that survived the Dragon's Purge are better fighters than other Clans' Solahmas.  Simply because if they intended to just quit and die, they would have done it long ago.

Sure, the Sea Fox Clan is very large, but most of it is focused on transporting others from place to place and the military part spends most of its effort on protecting those transports.  That because some House Lords and Clan Khans can't be trusted any more than common bandits or pirates if they see a chance to get something for nothing.

GC

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #499 on: 06 May 2014, 21:27:20 »
the sharks actually have more in common with the Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie.. aka the dutch east india company. they were less about colonialism, more about pure trade. they did tend to build trading ports in strategic spots, but they usually weren't trying to conquer anyone the way the british did.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #500 on: 06 May 2014, 21:27:28 »
In its full size as a whole Clan is Clan Sea Fox stronger, but they can't move the whole Touman, to attack Marik or the Cats.
The Clan is splitted in many Garrison forces.

I am simply going to make a correction based on fluff. I know that this correction may build 'anxiety' in the Spirit Cats and cause further discussion and I hope that doesn't happen. I'll say this first. Clan Sea Fox would not use force against the Spirit Cats. At least not while Rikkard and Petr Kalasa both still live and not without a huge divergence in the values of both clans. Maybe next century!

But the correction.

There are 6 Aimags (Clusters) floating around Marik Space. If they follow oldschool Diamond Shark tactical doctrine then those clusters are two clusters deep. Which means they have just enough force (or twice as much force) to smash the Spirit Cats without needing any other Khanates to swim by.

It think it ins not in the interest of the foxes to dominate Clan Spirit Cats

This is as objectively truthful as saying its a bad idea to saw your own leg off with a chainsaw. I agree completely.

A War take resources and profits, i think the foxes better made there a good deal for them what looks good for the cats but is great for them self.

still true.

But to compare the Sea Fox with the East India Company is just wrong!
They was a tyranic Company who dont care of non British lifes.
I Think the Foxes are more human in open a market. ( i never read from a Revolt against the Sharks )

Saying that Clan Sea Fox is like the East India Trading Company, or the Hanseatic League is like saying the Draconis Combine is like Feudal Japan or The Federated Suns is like Britain in space.

While they certainly derive inspirations from those works. Its one of those author tricks.

Lets say you write a character that you want to put into a story but he's incredibly one dimensional. Well, something authors do in this scenario is they take a second character and make those two characters one character. It diversifies that character. Does the same thing for factions. Take one faction, take a bunch of different cultures and throw it into one pot. Then you've got Blade Runner. Or Firefly (which, lets face it, is like Blade Runner in space. Its even more similar to the deep periphery)

Are the surviving Nova Cats independently?

There is the remains of a Cluster in the Protectorate. They're keeping themselves separate from the Spirit Cats. But they're part of the Protectorate. So ... Yes and No.

Guys in some of your posts 'Shark Foxes' sounds like an own Faction ?!?

The 'Shark Foxes' is an in joke. Because Clan Sea Fox has changed its name to Clan Diamond Shark and back again. Rather than clarifying which Clan it was at the time when talking about them you can call them Shark Foxes and it covers the faction under both pseudonyms.

I think the Foxes can resist the temptation to attack the allied factions and Clans in the Protectorate.  Though suggesting that ANY Clan would do something sensible or reasonable is pretty much an oxymoron in the making.

Should check out the Shark Foxes. Invading Clans, Warriors of Kerensky, Operation Klondike, Golden Century, Warden Clan, Touring the Sphere with Herb! Masters and Minions Starcorps, Interstellar Players 3. Wars of Reaving.

If we aren't being lead by Ian Hawker we're surprisingly reasonable and sensible.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #501 on: 07 May 2014, 01:23:23 »
If we aren't being lead by Ian Hawker we're surprisingly reasonable and sensible.

This is off topic (and it has me showing my age), but I kinda liked the Sharks under Hawker. The whole rabid crusader thing kinda appealed to me.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #502 on: 07 May 2014, 16:29:49 »
There are 6 Aimags (Clusters) floating around Marik Space. If they follow oldschool Diamond Shark tactical doctrine then those clusters are two clusters deep. Which means they have just enough force (or twice as much force) to smash the Spirit Cats without needing any other Khanates to swim by.

Clan Sea Fox wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their monopoly in the FWL.  Destroying one of the nuFWL factions, no matter how new or small, would make the rest nervous that they were next or that Clan Sea Fox intended to seize control.

This is off topic (and it has me showing my age), but I kinda liked the Sharks under Hawker. The whole rabid crusader thing kinda appealed to me.

You mean when they were losing all the important battles?
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #503 on: 07 May 2014, 16:45:02 »

Then everyone shows their age around here somehow, and you are not the oldest by this standard.   :)

Ian Hawker's legacy is in Wolf hands, where it might best be used.  Outside of the Jade Falcons' talons.

Jade Turkey Hawkers.  Awww yeeeeeah
« Last Edit: 07 May 2014, 16:46:36 by rebs »

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #504 on: 07 May 2014, 21:30:39 »
I know I tended to avoid the IC stuff. For me, it was more like the Cats were my favorite sports team.
Yeah. I cant feel quite as passionate about the game as I used to.

I've certainly gone this way with canon timeline.  AU is different has been for a while

As a Cat fan ... still around ... biding my time.

Same here
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Doy

• Sergeant
  • Clan Snow Wolf
    • Clan Snow Wolf - Homepage
« Reply #505 on: 08 May 2014, 09:39:44 »
@ Kitsune413
 i agree you in every point.

And i love this partnership from the Sea Foxes with the Spirit Cats  O0

Thank you for the answers

@glitterboy2098
It's an insult to compare them with the Compagnie!
Read what  Kitsune413 said to this.
And take a look of all bad things the Compagnie did and you understany maybe what i mean.
The Sharks are carefull with other Clans and self with the Houses or other Factions why they dont wanna close or lost some Market, Profit.

@all
It would be interesting to see what the CLan Potectorate and his members become in future.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #506 on: 08 May 2014, 18:09:28 »
While the Protectorate units have been Trial'ing the Wolves, anyone think they might be interested in blooding the new units being raised elsewhere against another foe?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #507 on: 08 May 2014, 21:51:48 »
@glitterboy2098
It's an insult to compare them with the Compagnie!
Read what  Kitsune413 said to this.
And take a look of all bad things the Compagnie did and you understany maybe what i mean.
The Sharks are carefull with other Clans and self with the Houses or other Factions why they dont wanna close or lost some Market, Profit.

his comments apply to the british east india company. i compared the foxes to the dutch east india company. the british were in it for power and colonies. they raped india to do it.

the dutch, who were there first, and were the reason the british even got interested in asia, just wanted trade and the money that brought, and played reasonably fair with their trading partners.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #508 on: 13 June 2014, 07:52:23 »
So, what's next?  We have the Sharkfox, SNoCat, and various Marik militias working together to make a single combined power base.  The Cats need time to rebuild their infrastructure, but there is nothing definite to prevent that from happening. 

And that begs the question, will they become Nova Cats again or keep the Spirit Cat name while assimilating the remaining survivors of their old Clan.  Will there be clone wars of canned kitties breeding like rabbits and fighting Wolves like Falcons?  (gah ... that was a silly time for the invading clans)  Have we finally seen the end of cosplay Catgirl Battlemaid Armor? 

I liked the Samurai Cats, but their time is done.  Even to the point of destruction, they kept their Pride and Honor intact.  No small feat or legacy in that.

GC

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #509 on: 13 June 2014, 08:57:39 »
So, what's next?  We have the Sharkfox, SNoCat, and various Marik militias working together to make a single combined power base.  The Cats need time to rebuild their infrastructure, but there is nothing definite to prevent that from happening. 

And that begs the question, will they become Nova Cats again or keep the Spirit Cat name while assimilating the remaining survivors of their old Clan. 
I would prefer that they keep the name "Spirit Cats".

I liked the Samurai Cats, but their time is done.  Even to the point of destruction, they kept their Pride and Honor intact.  No small feat or legacy in that.

GC
They lost their "Honor" when they turned against their fellow Clans in the midst of the battle and joined those Inner Sphere barbarians they were supposed to fight against and defeat.