Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202186 times)

Fletch

• Captain
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #510 on: 13 June 2014, 17:22:31 »
The Spirit Cats will be absorbed by the Horses when they move after gifting their OZ to the Star Adders.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #511 on: 13 June 2014, 19:03:07 »
The Spirit Cats will be absorbed by the Horses when they move after gifting their OZ to the Star Adders.

Uh, sure. Whaaaaaaaaatever you say
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #512 on: 13 June 2014, 19:43:43 »

Had a vision of it did you?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #513 on: 13 June 2014, 20:36:24 »
Had a vision of it did you?

Part of the Fletch Conspiracy Theories ...  ::)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #514 on: 13 June 2014, 21:53:32 »
Part of the Fletch Conspiracy Theories ...  ::)

Conspiracy theories are fun... Just remember; Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Anyhow, I'm finally getting back to assembling some Spirit Cats. While I know there's nothing on CSO for them yet I figured the grey and white scheme from MW:DA would suffice. Is there any guide to what proportion of the two colors the Purifiers Cluster would use?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #515 on: 14 June 2014, 01:07:46 »
Anyhow, I'm finally getting back to assembling some Spirit Cats. While I know there's nothing on CSO for them yet I figured the grey and white scheme from MW:DA would suffice. Is there any guide to what proportion of the two colors the Purifiers Cluster would use?

Not as such; I mentioned description of colour schemes from a novel some pages back but beyond that there's no hard and fast guidelines.

In the CMG, differing colour balance was used to differentiate the different units/experience levels. In theory, the Purifier cluster, being the "veteran" unit would have a roughly equal proprtion of the two colours (Grey and off-white) with no set pattern as to how they were distributed.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #516 on: 14 June 2014, 01:13:22 »
Aha! Found my own post!

Target of Opportunity gives us descriptions of two Spirit Cat 'Mechs, complete with colours:

Star Captain Cox's (Pouncer Trinary, Purifiers) Warhammer IIC is "two shades of grey, and a long diagonal stripe of red across the torso like a sash of honour"

Star Captain Caitlin Bauer's (Stealth Cat Trinary, Omicron) Vulture mk III is "painted in the grey and white striped pattern of her Trinary".

IMO, Both fall within the range of the Spirit Cat colours in the MWDA CMG.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #517 on: 14 June 2014, 01:59:56 »
Nice! Thanks  O0

I've actually found a faction that I like enough to put up with the difficulty of painting white...

In other news I'm trying to figure out where the Clan Protectorate falls on the FM3145 RATs. Are they rolled with no modifier since they're second line? That sure seems low tech if they're using the FWL RAT.

Edit: I just realized I asked that before  :-[

I'm going to blame it on the huge number of hours I'm working right now instead of my own forgetfulness.
« Last Edit: 14 June 2014, 02:59:02 by Klat »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #518 on: 04 July 2014, 19:38:13 »
a few quick questions.. i'm thinking of making a clan protectorate force.

would the Clan protectorate use protomechs?

and would the Spirit Cat's have any mechs that were republic faction availability still around?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #519 on: 04 July 2014, 20:18:49 »
a few quick questions.. i'm thinking of making a clan protectorate force.

and would the Spirit Cat's have any mechs that were republic faction availability still around?

From what I can find they are not using protomechs. As for RAF equipment, I believe that there is enough evidence to support some republic equipment in their arsenal.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #520 on: 04 July 2014, 23:29:04 »
It may have since been retconned away, but I believe when protomechs were first introduced, they required a special modified genotype pilot to use them. 

As for RAF units and equipment in the Spirit Cat stockpile, I'd say they have a good chance to have a little bit of Everything.  Best reason I can give is that they were very good at capturing and using stuff taken from every faction that opposed them.  That includes a few Republic Senators that didn't know who's side they were on.

It doesn't hurt to claim everything on a world as Isorla, and declaring any resistance will be punished.  (If you're going to win anyway, Win Big!)  So, "All Your Base Belong To Us."

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #521 on: 05 July 2014, 01:11:21 »
It may have since been retconned away, but I believe when protomechs were first introduced, they required a special modified genotype pilot to use them. 

Protomechs were originally piloted by test down aerospace pilot phenotypes because the pilot phenotype was somehow more resistant to the negative side effects of enhanced imaging implants (ie they didn't go crazy as fast as a mechwarrior phenotype).
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #522 on: 05 July 2014, 02:10:43 »
No, only the Hell's Horses and the Snow Ravens use them in this era.

That's interesting question.

► On one hand, it's entirely acceptable that the Spirit Cats acquired some RAF 'Mechs in the chaos of those early years of the Dark Age. That's possible.

► On the other hand, after almost 15 years of combat, I think that many of those originally Republic-owned 'Mechs have been destroyed. However, it's possible that some more durable units (or 'Mechs and vehicles piloted simply by some lucky pilots) are still serviceable.
Plus, it has been a decade since the Fortress of the Republic cut off access to all core Republic factories. Thus, no access to new Republic 'Mechs and spare parts for them.

► My impression is that the Spirit Cats use mostly equipment of FWL and Sea Fox origin now, with some generic IS units - simply because that's what the new FWL has available. Yes, some Republic units, but only here and there.

► You may check these topics:
BattleMechs produced in the new FWL
Combat Vehicles produced in the new FWL
Battle Armor produced in the new FWL

I mentioned some factories that were stolen by the Republic in 3080s and returned in 3130s. The Republic possibly retooled them to produce some modern 'Mechs and vehicles, but we don't know of what type.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #523 on: 05 July 2014, 02:56:04 »
► On one hand, it's entirely acceptable that the Spirit Cats acquired some RAF 'Mechs in the chaos of those early years of the Dark Age. That's possible.
► On the other hand, after almost 15 years of combat, I think that many of those originally Republic-owned 'Mechs have been destroyed. However, it's possible that some more durable units (or 'Mechs and vehicles piloted simply by some lucky pilots) are still serviceable.

They could have acquired additional Republic 'Mechs later through second-hand sources.

Plus, it has been a decade since the Fortress of the Republic cut off access to all core Republic factories. Thus, no access to new Republic 'Mechs and spare parts for them.

I mentioned some factories that were stolen by the Republic in 3080s and returned in 3130s. The Republic possibly retooled them to produce some modern 'Mechs and vehicles, but we don't know of what type.

The Republic did acquire some 'Mechs from foreign sources and as you mention lost some of their factories during the Dark Age to the Great Houses, such as those on Tikonov and Irian.  It is quite possible that those factories are still producing Republic 'Mechs.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #524 on: 05 July 2014, 08:11:17 »
Hmm. The Nova Cats used Protomechs in 3085 and simply aren't featured in 3145. So its not impossible that the Spirit Cats wouldn't have some Protomechs.

However, the majority of Spirit Cats are from the Republic. So it does seem very unlikely.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #525 on: 05 July 2014, 19:05:17 »
They could have acquired additional Republic 'Mechs later through second-hand sources.

The Republic did acquire some 'Mechs from foreign sources and as you mention lost some of their factories during the Dark Age to the Great Houses, such as those on Tikonov and Irian.  It is quite possible that those factories are still producing Republic 'Mechs.

well, the mech in question is a Bear Cub that's i recently picked up cheap, but which sits as the sole Ghost Bear design i own. the MUL has the republic using Bear Cub's in the early republic days so i figured i might be able to fit it into a republic splinter faction.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #526 on: 05 July 2014, 20:37:02 »
well, the mech in question is a Bear Cub that's i recently picked up cheap, but which sits as the sole Ghost Bear design i own. the MUL has the republic using Bear Cub's in the early republic days so i figured i might be able to fit it into a republic splinter faction.

Honestly I say go for it. I'd say that's a pretty reasonable unit given the command's background.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #527 on: 05 July 2014, 22:17:35 »
finding a spot for my protomechs is more problematic.. i have 5 Roc's, 6 Gorgon's (and 4 more somewhere) and 5 Satyr to stick somewhere.

i guess i can throw them in with my two Oro Tanks and 2 Shamash scouts to make a Hells Horses Star, just would prefer a group that could actually show up in the republic from time to time. :)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #528 on: 07 July 2014, 11:03:10 »

Normally i'd say yes, considering their close relationship with the Sea Foxes, who in turn have trading links with the Snow Ravens and Hell's Horses.  However, protomech pilots are specifically bred and surgically prepared, as opposed to mechwarriors and aerojocks that can be any Joe Schmoe.  Whether or not the Republic Nova Cats kept a protomech program, I don't know.  And if they did, did that program get transplanted in the Protectorate?  Draconis Nova Cat protomech usage was so low they didn't bother to make new ones, just refits of the exisitng Satyrs for recon duty.  And if those were part of the genestocks that were lost in the Ghost Bear genocide it makes the possibility even lower.

But, hey, this is Battletech.  If they want a time traveling Ares tripod in 3055, who is going to stop you?
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #529 on: 07 July 2014, 14:42:37 »
Whether or not the Republic Nova Cats kept a protomech program, I don't know.

They did not.

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #530 on: 07 July 2014, 15:24:18 »
So, what's next?  We have the Sharkfox, SNoCat, and various Marik militias working together to make a single combined power base.  The Cats need time to rebuild their infrastructure, but there is nothing definite to prevent that from happening. 

And that begs the question, will they become Nova Cats again or keep the Spirit Cat name while assimilating the remaining survivors of their old Clan.  Will there be clone wars of canned kitties breeding like rabbits and fighting Wolves like Falcons?  (gah ... that was a silly time for the invading clans)  Have we finally seen the end of cosplay Catgirl Battlemaid Armor? 

I liked the Samurai Cats, but their time is done.  Even to the point of destruction, they kept their Pride and Honor intact.  No small feat or legacy in that.

GC

Clan Spirit Fox???

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #531 on: 07 July 2014, 19:28:08 »
They did not.

It occurred to me later that the Satyr XP's TRO entry mentioning Aerospace washouts being used as volunteers in the Draconis Nova Cats.  I guess the Spirit Cats could do the same if they got a viable breeding program up and running.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #532 on: 07 July 2014, 19:37:08 »

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #533 on: 07 July 2014, 19:38:53 »
Clan Spirit Fox???

Yikes!  Visionary merchants with muscle?  That could be trouble ;)
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #534 on: 07 July 2014, 23:39:03 »

I instantly got an image of the Lush store.  I think those people have been smelling the product a little too much. ;)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #535 on: 08 July 2014, 10:13:17 »
I'd point out the Nova Cat Merchants were already pretty good at that, something a lot of people tend to forget or overlook as its not the Cats most obvious 'thing'. Didn't really help in the last couple decades.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #536 on: 08 July 2014, 11:07:12 »
hmmmm

Maybe we should use the White Tiger face with a black patch over one eye and wearing a Pirate's hat.

Somehow "Clan Sea Cat" just doesn't say enough.  And, we gotta give those Interstellar Master Traders a run for their Money.

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #537 on: 08 July 2014, 12:52:53 »
I'd point out the Nova Cat Merchants were already pretty good at that, something a lot of people tend to forget or overlook as its not the Cats most obvious 'thing'. Didn't really help in the last couple decades.

This. Several old books reference the Cats being second in merchant power only to the Sharks, and in financial power only to the Falcons. IIRC the Cats and the Mongooses were two of the major explorers of the post-Klondike setting, with the Mongoose touman and fleet taking point, while the Cats backed them financially. Of course then the Mongooses went rabid, the Sharks realized that there's more than one way to win a war, and the rest is history.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #538 on: 08 July 2014, 15:53:07 »
This. Several old books reference the Cats being second in merchant power only to the Sharks, and in financial power only to the Falcons. IIRC the Cats and the Mongooses were two of the major explorers of the post-Klondike setting, with the Mongoose touman and fleet taking point, while the Cats backed them financially. Of course then the Mongooses went rabid, the Sharks realized that there's more than one way to win a war, and the rest is history.

Do all our partners end up biting the dust?  Mongoose, Smoke Jaguar, our Kurita faction.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #539 on: 08 July 2014, 16:59:36 »
Do all our partners end up biting the dust?  Mongoose, Smoke Jaguar, our Kurita faction.

Sea Foxes are fine.

Register