Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202367 times)

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #540 on: 08 July 2014, 17:39:34 »
Sea Foxes are fine.

You're partnered with Clan Spirit Cat like the RotS was.  That must be safe.  ;)

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #541 on: 08 July 2014, 18:47:58 »
Sea Foxes are fine.

You just jinxed it...
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #542 on: 09 July 2014, 01:18:35 »
Sea Foxes are fine.

... and then the Homeworlds Clans have come.   ;)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #543 on: 09 July 2014, 03:14:06 »
What battle armors would you like to see the Protectorate fielding?

What would be the first local equipment produced?  Would the Foxes let the project go forward?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #544 on: 09 July 2014, 07:38:24 »

What would be the first local equipment produced?  Would the Foxes let the project go forward?

Clan Nova Cat has always incorporated local culture into the design of their equipment.  I see them continuing this.  I imagine that their more Samurai inspired designs (Clan Battle Armour for example) would take on a "knight" theme.  Otherwise I see most of the Battle Armour being produced by Clan Nova Cat, as Clan Sea Fox seems to be more focused on Mech and Naval designs in Dark Age.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #545 on: 09 July 2014, 11:51:18 »
I guess the protectorate is on the old marik commonwealth which is austrian so maybe knights. The orient is mostly greek influenced. Regulus is indian, andurien has a chinese aesthetic.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #546 on: 09 July 2014, 12:41:38 »
My biggest fear is that Marik culture will warp the Spirit Cats.  I've loved Clan Nova Cat ever since I found out that they utilize Energy Weapons over all other weapons.  This plays well into my play style.  The DC did pull CNC away from that style a bit with the Wendigo.  The Mariks are known for their love of ballistic armaments.  This is unpalatable IMHO.  Hopefully the Spirit Cats will work closer with CSF than the Mariks and they will return to their former Clan spirit.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #547 on: 09 July 2014, 13:07:49 »
There is nothing wrong with producing CBAs (Catgirl Battlemaid Accessories) ... Well it's eye candy, anyway.  As long as we can avoid the Teutonic Knight style, it'll still be good.  Incorporating local culture is not a problem, most of it comes from captured equipment used "as is".  Of course, the long tenure in the Combine meant that much was dictated by what Kurita decided was available. 

If anything, the Spirit Cats might embrace a different extreme to maintain a sense of identity.  There seems to be a fair number of Cat-themed mechs, tank, etc., but it would be nice to see it not be over-shadowed by something bearing a Wolf name with the exact same features?

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #548 on: 09 July 2014, 13:34:03 »
If anything, the Spirit Cats might embrace a different extreme to maintain a sense of identity.  There seems to be a fair number of Cat-themed mechs, tank, etc., but it would be nice to see it not be over-shadowed by something bearing a Wolf name with the exact same features?

GC

Seconded.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #549 on: 09 July 2014, 18:05:51 »
The Mariks are known for their love of ballistic armaments.

No they're not; the Davions are.  The Mariks have always had a fetish for lasers and LRMs.  Their ballistic expertise is fairly limited, all things being equal; they re-engineered the LB-5X and Ultra-10 autocannons from SLDF-era records and scaled the gauss rifle to its current "light" status, but that's it.  Compare that to being the re-engineering of the ER medium and small lasers, plus the plethora of LRM submunitions they came up with.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #550 on: 09 July 2014, 20:00:26 »
Prior to the 3050's they had a real fetish for large lasers. Due mainly to having most of the manufacturers of them, and a limited supply of PPC's. Post clans they just added the LRM to that.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #551 on: 10 July 2014, 02:03:49 »
Clan Medium Battle Armor - Clan BA suitable for the sub-Clan faction. I am not sure if there is any factory capable of producing BA in the Clan Protectorate.

It would depend on local factories. Some of them may have been damaged in fighting.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #552 on: 10 July 2014, 02:12:41 »
I think he is referring to the MSC, which the Protectorate took a chunk of, rather than the generic 'Mariks' referring to the League.  And they did go with ACs, look at the Shockwave and some of their other post-breakup designs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #553 on: 10 July 2014, 02:35:39 »
No they're not; the Davions are.  The Mariks have always had a fetish for lasers and LRMs.  Their ballistic expertise is fairly limited, all things being equal; they re-engineered the LB-5X and Ultra-10 autocannons from SLDF-era records and scaled the gauss rifle to its current "light" status, but that's it.  Compare that to being the re-engineering of the ER medium and small lasers, plus the plethora of LRM submunitions they came up with.
Actually, in the last few decades (approximately 3080-3140) the Mariks (from the Marik-Stewart Commonwealth) fell in love for Autocannons.

Honestly, it wasn't as much as a case of "love" (although I would admit that perhaps they decided to favor more direct approach than their traditional LGRs and LRMs), but the fact that they lost access to some other factories of the former FWL.
However, they were left with the Imperator Automatic Weaponry plant on Atreus, known for producing fine ballistic weapons such as various Autocannons and Gauss rifles.

Thanks those factors the Mariks used such ballistic weapons on their refitted and upgraded 'Mechs and designed some new 'Mechs armed with those guns.
Some examples are:
- new 'Mechs: Shockwave SKW-2F/4G (RAC-5), SKW-6H (UAC-10), Thunderbolt TDR-9M (LGR), Anzu ZU-G60 (UAC-10)/J70 (RAC-5), Trebaruna (GR)
- refitted 'Mechs: "Orions and Tempests modified ... to utilize rotary and ultra autocannons", Albatross (GR)
- their R10 ICV sports ballistic weapons on two of its three configurations
- Partisan AA vehicles, again with twin Autocannons; Partisan tanks with quad autocannons
- Red Kite was originally designed with Light Autocannon
- Poignard ASF (LAC)

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #554 on: 10 July 2014, 11:59:30 »

I stand corrected.  Maybe this partnership can work.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #555 on: 16 July 2014, 15:26:34 »
I think it's been asked of the Spirit Cats already but would the Nova Cat Provisional Cluster have a fair number of RAF units in their roster?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #556 on: 16 July 2014, 16:06:00 »
I think it's been asked of the Spirit Cats already but would the Nova Cat Provisional Cluster have a fair number of RAF units in their roster?

We don't know, no details have been given. 20 'Mechs is not a big number.

They are rated as "Clan Secondline", so I would give them some variant of Shadow Hawk IIC or Griffin IIC. Sphinx as a heavy 'Mech, Shadow Cat and Nova Cat or two if you are feeling generous.
Some Lights such as Ocelot, Morrigan, Arbalest. Crimson Hawk maybe.
I don't think that Republic 'Mechs are especially common here, although perhaps they use some.

My guess is that they might field Juliano, Havoc or Gambit since these 'Mechs are produced in the Clan Protectorate, as replacement of their losses ...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #557 on: 16 July 2014, 16:11:28 »
I'd guess the Ocelot would be quite common since it was previously a Nova Cat produced unit.
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #558 on: 16 July 2014, 16:18:29 »

I'm not certain which question you are asking.  Do you want to know ...

... If any equipment or supplies were acquired or captured and issued to available warriors?

I'd say yes, any found object that can improve the Cluster's combat ability would be deemed very useful.

... Were any Republican pilots or troops recruited or assimilated by the Clan as they were found to be willing to participate?

Maybe.  That would depend on how and when they joined the Cluster and if they were Bondsmen.  An independent company of volunteers might have tagged along as a team of disenfranchised units with no other 'friendly' units to join up with.

So my question is "would a fair number of RAF units on the roster still be RAF if they are in the Nova Cat Cluster?"

Think carefully about what a Clan (even one that's Abjured, Assassinated, Annihilated) battle group would expect from those RAF units.

GC

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #559 on: 16 July 2014, 20:53:25 »
To clarify:

Quote from: FM3145 pg. 109
The Nova Cat Provisional Cluster is a relatively new formation
predominantly staffed by Nova Cat refugees seeking asylum in the
Clan Protectorate after fleeing the Republic’s collapse. According to
reports, the Cluster consists of three Trinaries of partially functional
’Mechs—and the occasional OmniMech—that have yet to see
proper repairs from fighting in the Republic.

They are Nova Cats from Republic enclaves. I would assume that Nova Cats from Republic enclaves would use some Republic equipment. I'm looking to see if anyone has some input regarding that assumption.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #560 on: 17 July 2014, 05:22:27 »
I think your quote answers most of your questions for you.

Three trinaries of battered and damaged mechs is pretty significant, but the mechs are all it mentions.  Of these, it states an occasional omnimech, perhaps not more than a dozen Clan Invasion era omnimechs remain.  The rest would be Captured or Salvaged from the battlefield, mostly. 

Though they were not mentioned, it did say it was a Cluster, and I'd suggest that at least one trinary of Battle Armored infantry and a binary of mixed armored combat vehicles with a few APCs and other 'Dark Age' toys.

So without being more specific about what units or troops are available, I'd guess that at least half of the Cluster may have been organized as part of the RAF at some point.  What they were doing before they became Isorla is another story.

GC

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #561 on: 17 July 2014, 09:22:56 »
I think your quote answers most of your questions for you.

Three trinaries of battered and damaged mechs is pretty significant, but the mechs are all it mentions.  Of these, it states an occasional omnimech, perhaps not more than a dozen Clan Invasion era omnimechs remain.  The rest would be Captured or Salvaged from the battlefield, mostly. 

Though they were not mentioned, it did say it was a Cluster, and I'd suggest that at least one trinary of Battle Armored infantry and a binary of mixed armored combat vehicles with a few APCs and other 'Dark Age' toys.

So without being more specific about what units or troops are available, I'd guess that at least half of the Cluster may have been organized as part of the RAF at some point.  What they were doing before they became Isorla is another story.

GC

I've two theories as to what the Republic 'Cats were up to:

Either they were in enclaves and had hardware to protect themselves or what we're seeing is the remnants of Stone's Trackers.

After work I'll see if I can find the reference but I believe that I came across a source stating that some special forces units were raiding along the CC border and hiding out in nearby civilian enclaves. I may be mistaken though.

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #562 on: 17 July 2014, 12:57:46 »
I wonder if BT will write a story where a call goes out throughout the IS calling all Cats to the Protectorate.  Even offering assistance from the Sea Foxes to arrive in the new home safely.  This could boost Spirit Cat numbers to the point where they would be effective again.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #563 on: 17 July 2014, 13:04:54 »
Wouldn't be much of a response to such a call. Those Cats who aren't already in the Protectorate are either behind the Fortress wall or dead or sterilized and enslaved in the Combine. If there are any left in the former Republic prefectures, it would be a negligible number at best.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #564 on: 17 July 2014, 13:56:00 »
dead or sterilized and enslaved in the Combine.

Assuming the Combine wanted to keep any Nova Cats alive, what sort of restraints will prevent the sterilized Nova Cats from seeking retribution on the Medical Staff?  I doubt anyone could successfully complete the process without incredibly high casualties.  Making slaves out of Clan Warriors is also a dangerous and silly thing to do.  The Cats in captivity would go berserk and fight until they've all been killed. 

Resistance may be futile, but Death is its own reward.

GC

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #565 on: 17 July 2014, 14:25:06 »
None of the survivors in the DC are warrior caste. Those were all executed.

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #566 on: 17 July 2014, 14:39:14 »
Assuming the Combine wanted to keep any Nova Cats alive, what sort of restraints will prevent the sterilized Nova Cats from seeking retribution on the Medical Staff?  I doubt anyone could successfully complete the process without incredibly high casualties.  Making slaves out of Clan Warriors is also a dangerous and silly thing to do.  The Cats in captivity would go berserk and fight until they've all been killed. 

Resistance may be futile, but Death is its own reward.

GC

And since most lower castes are washouts of the warrior caste, they would be semi-trained fighters to boot.  Very dangerous indeed.  The worst ones would be the Nova Cat Deep Watch members that would pose as a lower caste member, then work to sabotage the DC from within.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #567 on: 17 July 2014, 14:54:24 »
And since most lower castes are washouts of the warrior caste

Some lower caste members are washed-out warriors; the majority are not. The lower castes are (or were, I guess) a self-perpetuating population.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #568 on: 17 July 2014, 15:27:32 »
Some lower caste members are washed-out warriors; the majority are not. The lower castes are (or were, I guess) a self-perpetuating population.

What else is a freeborn to do... And that's where I'll leave it before that goes any further.  I think in the Homeworlds the percentage of failed trueborns to freeborns would maybe be more balanced as the Populations were smaller?  But on the occupied IS worlds freeborn numbers must dwarf trueborns
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #569 on: 17 July 2014, 18:55:50 »
This is a wholly depressing line of discussion.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Register