Author Topic: Clan Protectorate  (Read 202154 times)

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
Re: Clan Protectorate
« Reply #570 on: 18 July 2014, 00:08:01 »
This is a wholly depressing line of discussion.

That's genocide for ya.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #571 on: 18 July 2014, 08:52:12 »
That's genocide for ya.

I've been thinking about that lately, and it's not likely that the Combine can affect or influence such practice in Realms it doesn't control.

But what they have seen is how quickly even a small Clan like the Nova Cats can replace their losses after a major battle.  Then they look at Clan Wolf overpopulating the occupied worlds without restrictions or limits in the space of just a few decades.  And it's not just one Clan they have to Fear. 

We've made jokes about the sibkos and the breeding program, but consider how many Thousands of Clan sibkos can be produced in a single year if such production had a priority mandate.  They are not just a few clones, but Clones of Clones Replicated as many times as they are needed.

"Born in a bottle, raised in a can, we all have the same face, but only one is a Man."

GC
"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #572 on: 18 July 2014, 09:44:37 »
That's fine for a clan that is fast and loose like the Wovles, or even the Horses who get multiple warriors out of a single sibko.  More traditionally minded clans are still limited by Trials of Position.  Of course, that's Trueborns were't talking about.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
« Reply #573 on: 18 July 2014, 10:37:18 »
Flip to that though FS is that then add in freebirth birth rates while eliminating tbe stigma of being a freebirtb or even spheroid and allow production to run wild so that you can field them. Even the small fry could out populate larger polities.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #574 on: 18 July 2014, 11:57:44 »
What else is a freeborn to do... And that's where I'll leave it before that goes any further.  I think in the Homeworlds the percentage of failed trueborns to freeborns would maybe be more balanced as the Populations were smaller?  But on the occupied IS worlds freeborn numbers must dwarf trueborns

True.

I wonder if the number of Trueborns in "hosted" clan factions (Clan Wolf (in-exile), Clan Steel Wolf, Clan Nova Cat, and Clan Spirit Cat) would have higher Trueborn numbers? 
Both Roosterboy and DragonCat are correct, the OZ would definitely have higher Freeborn numbers (and maybe this is why the Homeclans charge the Invading clans with being tainted), but traditional Clan society would naturally move that ratio closer in favour to the number of Trueborns over time.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #575 on: 18 July 2014, 12:58:54 »
That's fine for a clan that is fast and loose like the Wovles, or even the Horses who get multiple warriors out of a single sibko.  More traditionally minded clans are still limited by Trials of Position.
...I don't think I've ever heard anyone suggest the Cats were traditional minded before. We're the ones who get 'puffpuffpass' jokes made for them. :D

Weird pseudoreligions aside, the Cats were one of the more pragmatic Clans.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #576 on: 18 July 2014, 13:12:36 »
They've already accepted IS populations into the Protectorate Guardians, so manpower may not be the problem in the long run.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #577 on: 18 July 2014, 14:38:16 »
While searching the internet today I saw this:

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/17/16607/NovaCatmark2model.JPG

I like the look of this design.  Maybe it's time to develop a new line of mechs and equipment to replace what we lost in the DC?

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #578 on: 18 July 2014, 15:39:51 »
i think that instead of a Nova Cat MkII it would be more interesting to see a "spirit cat" omni that takes the old nova cat design and adapts it to the tech available to the protectorate. for example, maybe an alternate armor, or the use of a mixtech Radical heatsink system, etc.
though it might be better to start with a standard mech, with an onmi version later ala the WIE Arctic wolf.

perhaps start with the Nova Cat Prime, and make a standard mech version with reflective armor and maybe a RHS..

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #579 on: 18 July 2014, 16:47:57 »
i think that instead of a Nova Cat MkII it would be more interesting to see a "spirit cat" omni that takes the old nova cat design and adapts it to the tech available to the protectorate. for example, maybe an alternate armor, or the use of a mixtech Radical heatsink system, etc.
though it might be better to start with a standard mech, with an onmi version later ala the WIE Arctic wolf.

perhaps start with the Nova Cat Prime, and make a standard mech version with reflective armor and maybe a RHS..

Maybe I'll do that as a side project.  I'll take the base stats for the Nova Cat, and using tech manufactured in the FWL, design the "Spirit Cat" (Nova Cat MKII). 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #580 on: 18 July 2014, 17:08:30 »
oohh.. could make it sorta like a Quasimodo IIC.. reflective armor, blue shield, and clantech energy guns.. that would be scary.. plus all of that is easily within the NFWL/Protectorate capabilities..

if a Quasimodo can go toe to toe with a Hellstar and win, what could a mech 50% heavier do?  >:D
« Last Edit: 18 July 2014, 17:13:16 by glitterboy2098 »

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #581 on: 18 July 2014, 18:02:10 »
A Nova Cat with RHS could be really cool.

That was a terrible pun...  :-[
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #582 on: 18 July 2014, 18:06:52 »
i've actually been playing around with reflective armor, blue shield, and laser insulation.. if i can get the bugs worked out of the design (or a less buggy copy of megamek lab installed.. my laptop's version is 10 releases out of date) it ought to be really really scary.. if the latest MML has the RHS, even better.. i keep running out of crit's before i run out of mass..

edit: managed to pull it off with 1.5 tons of mass and half a dozen open crits left. so might be able to fit some other gear in (ECM maybe?), though might thin the armor by a few points to get an even 2 tons to work with..

edit 2: or could stick in the ECM, and a flamer to handle the PBI's running around so much of the IS nowadays..
« Last Edit: 18 July 2014, 18:35:50 by glitterboy2098 »

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #583 on: 18 July 2014, 18:08:45 »
Thank goodness the Catalyst pun subjugation and suppression squads are on summer break.

Of course were a Nova Cat with a RHS exist it's more likely to be in the RAF's hands. Or an enclave now behind The Blind ...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #584 on: 19 July 2014, 01:52:24 »
Can a standard Nova Cat mount RHS?  I never looked at the rules closely but . . . easiest swap I could imagine would be to make the ERPPCs into ERLLs, which gives you four tons to play around with . . . or even better, the Supernova!  Engine change makes it a bit less durable, but allows armor to increase and gives you 7 tons & 4 crits . . . a Supernova able to fire salvoes of 6 ERLL without as much heat issues would be a monster.

I must now wander off to read the RHS rules again.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #585 on: 19 July 2014, 08:41:51 »
Yes, the RHS is completely pod-mountable. Have at it.  O0

And yes, an RHS equipped Supernova is a thing of beauty.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #586 on: 19 July 2014, 10:38:26 »
Where would one find the stats and rules for this RHS??

And I'm guessing that RHS is Radical Heat Sinks??

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #587 on: 19 July 2014, 10:41:22 »
Where would one find the stats and rules for this RHS??
And I'm guessing that RHS is Radical Heat Sinks??

In Field Manual: 3145, p.247.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #588 on: 19 July 2014, 13:31:32 »
it's basically a MASC system for your heatsinks.. each use lets the heatsinks vent extra heat, but you risk your heatsinks rupturing with repeated rapid use. if they rupture you actually gain heat and the system breaks.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #589 on: 21 July 2014, 06:47:42 »
The Sphinx was originally going to be an Omni, AND it first showed up in the DA timeline as a Spirit Cat piece. Might make a good base for a Spirit Cat Omni. You'd have to do something to help distinguish it from the miffed kitty, though.

GhostCat

• Lieutenant
  • If A, then B, The Evil Genius Argument
« Reply #590 on: 21 July 2014, 08:25:39 »
Yeah, I can think of a bunch of DA mechs that can make the Protectorate a good home for our Spirit Cats.

We have the Cave Lion, Sphinx, MadCat III (read Stormcrow with custom mod to look like a Timberwolf), Arbalest, and I like the Avalanche and Crimsonhawk, too.  Looks like the list of Spirit Cat goodies is longer than I thought, and we can still use some of the old Invasion omnis that survived to the Dark Age, too. 

Finally, I can have Front and Second Line mechs with mixed tech in the same Star, Cluster, Keshik, and it won't look stupid.   :))

GC

"Spirit Cats are just pirates basically." --- Quote from Herb

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #591 on: 22 July 2014, 00:56:43 »
Well . . .
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #592 on: 23 July 2014, 12:59:24 »
Yeah, I can think of a bunch of DA mechs that can make the Protectorate a good home for our Spirit Cats.

We have the Cave Lion, Sphinx, MadCat III (read Stormcrow with custom mod to look like a Timberwolf), Arbalest, and I like the Avalanche and Crimsonhawk, too.  Looks like the list of Spirit Cat goodies is longer than I thought, and we can still use some of the old Invasion omnis that survived to the Dark Age, too. 

Finally, I can have Front and Second Line mechs with mixed tech in the same Star, Cluster, Keshik, and it won't look stupid.   :))

GC

Don't forget the Wendigo.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

tbrminsanity

• Master Sergeant
  • 1st Dragoncat Cluster
    • TBRMInsanity's Website
« Reply #593 on: 23 July 2014, 18:00:49 »
I think any Mech asset from CSC can be game for the Clan Protectorate. 

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #594 on: 23 July 2014, 20:20:10 »

The Clan Protectorate already has a decent Mech production capacity, so rather than build new factories to produce what they used to produce back in the Irece Prefecture, it would probably make more sense just to upgrade the existing factories in Abadan and Angel II to Clan standards, or something pretty close to Clan standards.  I actually did some Clannified versions of the Mechs produced in the Protectorate over on this thread.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #595 on: 23 July 2014, 20:39:56 »
Look up Clan 'Mechs available to the Republic as well.

Finally, the Sprit Cat 'MMechs from MWDA could also have a few clues as to what zcould be found in the Protectorate. Marauder II,  Warhammer IIC, Dasher II, Mad Cat Mk II immediately come to mind. Also the Shadow Hawk IIC 9 is a Spirit Cat signature Mech
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #596 on: 23 July 2014, 21:46:20 »
Which one did Rikkard command?  I remember it had ATMs.
Colt Ward

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #597 on: 23 July 2014, 22:04:41 »
an interesting line of thought popped up in the design thread, decided to cross post to where it would could be discussed without derailing the thread..

@Wellspring and @Sabelkatten

I'm taking both of your concerns in consideration.  I think there will be a shortage of warriors in the future as the Eugenics program was never huge for CSC.  Also the design needs to be as self sustaining as possible (like the Nova Cat).  As for the future of the Clan Protectorate, I imagine that CSF will make up the naval assets of the Protectorate, while CSC will make up the military.
and my response:

that just means there will be a shortage of trueborns. i'm pretty sure they'll rely more heavily on the 'freeborns' recruited from within the protectorate.. personally i think it would be fun if they end up becoming more of a brotherhood of warriors type organization and not a self contained clan.. 'adopting' into itself elite/capable troops from all over the protectorate/NuFWL, inducting them into the Spirit Cat traditions. perhaps even adopt the idea of 'honornames' from the old Wolfs Dragoons, with the names of their original spirit cat members (and perhaps a fair number of Nova Cats) being bestowed similar to bloodnames, but with the recipients not having to actually have blood relations to the original.

sort of a mix of the old knight orders (like the templars and hospitaliers) and what the dragoons became. this would also give the new FWL something akin to the old FWL's knights of the sphere.. one of the few ideas of the false-marik that is worth saving.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #598 on: 23 July 2014, 22:05:49 »
Which one did Rikkard command?  I remember it had ATMs.
That would be the aforementioned 9.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #599 on: 23 July 2014, 22:16:59 »
Look up Clan 'Mechs available to the Republic as well.

Finally, the Sprit Cat 'MMechs from MWDA could also have a few clues as to what zcould be found in the Protectorate. Marauder II,  Warhammer IIC, Dasher II, Mad Cat Mk II immediately come to mind. Also the Shadow Hawk IIC 9 is a Spirit Cat signature Mech
pretty much all of those are obtained through the Sea Foxes. pretty much every faction in the IS uses them to some degree.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2014, 22:33:52 by glitterboy2098 »