Author Topic: Wet Willie and Isle of the Blessed - *spoilers*  (Read 2328 times)

abou

• Captain
Wet Willie and Isle of the Blessed - *spoilers*
« on: 22 January 2015, 10:11:14 »
I just finished reading Isle of the Blessed. The revelation of Annette Leyland's use of atomics and Kossacks' role in it seemed to come out of nowhere. Were there any hints before this? What were the repercussions and where was it published?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: Wet Willie and Isle of the Blessed - *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2015, 20:04:58 »
Anette Leyland's role in the Civil War, including her use of Atomic weapons was discussed in the FedCom Civil War sourcebbok.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 22 January 2015, 21:00:04 »
That's not exactly what I was asking.  I have that book. Unless I have missed something in the text, it doesn't address any of the conspiracies or what Wet Willie Kossacks' motivations were.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2015, 02:03:54 »
The only item that could be considered a hint prior to Isle of the Blessed would be the investigation (in the FedCom Civil War sourcebook) that concludes that Leyland likely was still in possession of a couple nukes.  After all it was a short-lived spur of the moment conspiracy to allow Leyland to detonate her last nuke near the Blakist base so there is no need for any further hints.

As far as repercussions, Isle of the Blessed already states that no matter what punishment a court martial might mete out to Kossacks that nothing would be as severe as Jackson's final condemnation making his court martial unnecessary.  Besides they already have a court martial of an AFFS officer in FR:AFFS.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2015, 20:52:14 »
It was referenced in the sourcebook?

The FCCW novels had some mysteries in them as well, like Vic getting tipped off by IIRC Blakists with some intel.  I want to also say there was some questions as to where the Black Rats got the info to find nukes.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2015, 21:54:47 »
I want to also say there was some questions as to where the Black Rats got the info to find nukes.

Quote from: FedCom Civil War, pg. 94
In fact, the only assistance Leyland seemed to get from New Avalon was a transmission that pinpointed the location of a secret AFFC weapons depot. Though she could never verify the origin of the transmission, it had gone out over the seal of the High Command, and she naturally assumed that someone in a high place was looking out for her. When her troops broke into the depot, guarded as it was a relatively small DMI contingent, she realize that could have only come from someone at the command level or higher.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2015, 23:25:37 »
The thing is that we know that Kossacks probably 'inherited' the Fifth FedCom  from someone else. Why? Because at that stage of the Civil War when Annette Leyland discovered the nukes on Axton, Wet Willie and the Second Davion Guard were on their way to Novaya Zemlya, and more to the point, the Second Davion Guards along with Flt Adm Kossacks were on the Allied side of the Civil War as oppose to the Loyalist one. Being a Fleet Admiral in command of a Davion Guard unit means that he is high up in the AFFC (really AFFS), but he can't really issue orders with official stamps from High Command.   

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2015, 23:40:11 »
Well, who did Kossacks replace in the High Command when he was promoted after the war? That's likely who he would've "inherited" them from.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2015, 00:41:08 »
According to FM:U, he was promoted to Chief of the General Staff after the Civil War, but FM:FS doesn't mention anything (that I can find anyway) about that particular position.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2015, 04:19:08 »
There is nothing to seriously suggest that Kossacks had any involvement with the Fifth FedCom RCT beyond being willing to sacrifice them in order to cripple the Blakist forces on New Avalon.

The source that provided the nukes to the Fifth FedCom RCT is likely to remain a mystery unless a writer decides to write a short story for BC that ties up what is merely one of many minor mysteries left over from the FedCom Civil War and the Jihad or it is briefly mentioned in some future material as a side note.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Register