Author Topic: Brigade of Guards colors  (Read 3660 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Brigade of Guards colors
« on: 12 March 2015, 11:07:35 »
If I were to paint up an Invasion-era unit of Davion Guards, would they have the mostly-blue color scheme or the blue-white-red-white-blue? 

Thanks!
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Brigade of Guards colors
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2015, 11:44:37 »
Every depiction I can recall shows them in the three-color scheme in that era.  I don't know that anyone's really sure when the changeover took place, or if they're both used contemporaneously in different circumstances, but all the depictions of the blue-dominant scheme I can recall are from the 4th SW era or before.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2015, 16:22:05 »
Rats.  Oh well, looks like I better start practicing using lots of bight paints.

Thanks!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2015, 16:53:27 »
If I were to paint up an Invasion-era unit of Davion Guards, would they have the mostly-blue color scheme or the blue-white-red-white-blue? 

Thanks!
Canonically the first one, with blue background and narrow white and red stripes on the side torso and leg of a BattleMech.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2015, 12:36:46 »
Canonically the first one, with blue background and narrow white and red stripes on the side torso and leg of a BattleMech.

That would definitely make life easier.  Is there a reference somewhere that I can check against to confirm?

Cheers!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2015, 12:38:54 »
Wait, what?  Where?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2015, 02:19:58 »
That would definitely make life easier.  Is there a reference somewhere that I can check against to confirm?

Cheers!
Wait, what?  Where?

BattleTech Recognition Cards.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2015, 09:10:59 »
Interesting.  There's at least one picture in FM:FS (12/06/3062) showing the five-stripe scheme.  I'm drawing a blank on other pictures we can assign a known date to.  Perhaps the changeover occurred between the date the cards are set and 3062?
Sunrise is Coming.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2015, 09:18:39 »
Perhaps the changeover occurred between the date the cards are set and 3062?

From the digging that I have done, that seems to be the case.  Somewhere between the 4th Succession War and the end of Revival, someone decided to change the Brigades's color scheme.  I suppose that means that I still need to use the newer scheme, just to be safe.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2015, 09:29:23 »
Interesting.  There's at least one picture in FM:FS (12/06/3062) showing the five-stripe scheme.  I'm drawing a blank on other pictures we can assign a known date to.  Perhaps the changeover occurred between the date the cards are set and 3062?
That picture from the Field Manual: Federated Suns is from 3062. That means that it's not from the Clan Invasion era, but from the Civil War era.

From the digging that I have done, that seems to be the case.  Somewhere between the 4th Succession War and the end of Revival, someone decided to change the Brigades's color scheme.  I suppose that means that I still need to use the newer scheme, just to be safe.
In your very first post you wanted Davion Guards livery from the Clan Invasion era. That's the one with the blue background and narrow red and white stripes on the left side torso and left leg.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 14 March 2015, 10:00:57 »
That picture from the Field Manual: Federated Suns is from 3062. That means that it's not from the Clan Invasion era, but from the Civil War era.
I'm aware of that.  The Invasion Era runs from 3050-3061 and then the Civil War Ear starts in 3062.  They're very close, only a few years separating the Invasion from the Civil War.  It was apparently a pretty sudden change.
Sunrise is Coming.

Jochmann

• Private
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2015, 15:10:48 »
I would bet that the change is directly connected to the unification of LC and FS in '57.

Cribsoffer

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2015, 22:26:52 »
Mechcommander painted the 1st Davion Guards in Fedcom Blue and Gold similar to the 1st Fedcom RCT... This was during Operation Bulldog in 3059'

While games are usually limited canon, its relevant that FASA was running the development show and they ultimately chose the colors. I think it needs to be considered for the time frame.
« Last Edit: 15 March 2015, 23:32:28 by Cribsoffer »

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2015, 23:02:40 »
I would bet that the change is directly connected to the unification of LC and FS in '57.
That would be their split.
Unity started in 3040's by the Military & was "official" as single Nation in 3055.

3025 = Mostly Blue
3061 = Big Stripes

So yeah, FC Union could have been the trigger.  Or maybe Hanse's death when Victor took over the FS in 3052?
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2015, 08:28:45 »
If you look on the cover of TRO:3145 FS it seems that in the dark age the Guards are back to the light blue  with two stripes color scheme.
While we don't have a unit insignia on these 2 mechs I don't think they represent any other unit.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2015, 17:20:29 »
Given they go back to the old way in the DA,  I'd say its probable that the scheme was changed when the name changed.
So they were triple striped while they were the FedCom, say 41-67, & then the mostly light blue was while they were FedSuns.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2015, 09:08:33 »
Given they go back to the old way in the DA,  I'd say its probable that the scheme was changed when the name changed.
So they were triple striped while they were the FedCom, say 41-67, & then the mostly light blue was while they were FedSuns.

That makes a lot of sense.  The reasoning is certainly sound enough to justify using the triple stripe scheme for my Invasion/Civil War-era units.

Thanks all!

Register