Author Topic: Iconic 3050-era mechs by House  (Read 7485 times)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Iconic 3050-era mechs by House
« on: 10 July 2015, 12:10:33 »
Similar to MoneyLovinOgre4Hire's thread at the bottom of the page, if you had to pick the four most iconic mechs for each Successor State (in the vein of Jenner, Panther, Dragon, ???? for the DCMS) at the start of the Clan Invasion, what would you choose?  Answers do not need to cover one mech for each weight class.

Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
Re: Iconic 3050-era mechs by House
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2015, 12:37:34 »
Steiner

Wolfhound, Griffin, axman,zeus
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2015, 14:18:12 »
House Marik

WVR-6M/6R Wolverine
TBT-5N/5J/5S Trebuchet
ON-1K Orion
AWS-8Q/8T/8R Awesome
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2015, 15:09:26 »
Capellan Confederation: Raven, Vindicator, Cataphract, Highlander

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2015, 16:20:57 »
Davion
VLK-QD Valkyrie
ENF-5D Enforcer or DV-7D Dervish
JM6-DD or (3054) JM6-DG JagerMech
VTR-9D Victor

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2015, 16:45:09 »
Capellan Confederation: Raven, Vindicator, Cataphract, Highlander

Not saying you are wrong, just looking for more information. Was the Highlander even made in the CC during 3050's? It does talk about them using it. But the only two planets that were making it but from 3030's to mid 3050's both were part of the FC. Also they were making less than a dozen units per year. Again I may be wrong as not up on all the CC fluff (big surprise) but I always put it with Comstar in 3050's. Some of this may also be the fact that when thinking of 3050 I always go back to the first TRO 3050 before the retcons that added some of the TRO 2750 units back in.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2015, 18:24:08 »
Yeah, if I were going 5o put an assault Mech on the CCAF list, it'd be a Victor.  HildCo made them for the CapCon until St. Ives left.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2015, 19:22:47 »
I'm also a little curious about the Highlander choice.  Since I'm not worried about weight classes, for Liao I was thinking something along the lines of Raven, Vindicator, Cataphract, Catapult. 

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2015, 21:29:04 »
I'm also a little curious about the Highlander choice.  Since I'm not worried about weight classes, for Liao I was thinking something along the lines of Raven, Vindicator, Cataphract, Catapult. 
those four are a lot more 'capellan' to me as well.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #9 on: 10 July 2015, 21:50:34 »
Iconic Mechs for each Faction in TRO3050.....  easy....

Davion:  Valkyrie, Enforcer, Centurion, Jagermech      (Its a crappy selection, our D-Variants of General mechs are much better)

Kurita:  Jenner,  Panther,  Grand Dragon,  Hatamoto

Liao:  Raven,  Vindicator,  Catapult,  Cataphract

Marik:  Hermes-II,  Trebuchet,  Orion,  Awesome

Steiner:  Commando,  Wolfhound,  Zeus,  Banshee    (Maybe swap out Wolfhound or Banshee for Hatchetman instead)

I can't ever pick the Unseen as "Iconic" to any one house, they are way to mass produced for that.
« Last Edit: 10 July 2015, 22:17:07 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 10 July 2015, 22:14:58 »
Zeus is an assault

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 10 July 2015, 22:18:00 »
Zeus is an assault

Correct.   
OP said it didn't have to be 1 from each category.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Avitue

• Sergeant
  • Avitue's Avenging Angels
« Reply #12 on: 10 July 2015, 22:42:04 »
You all forgot the mighty URBANMECH for CCAF :D

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2015, 06:51:10 »

I can't ever pick the Unseen as "Iconic" to any one house, they are way to mass produced for that.

I completely agree about the Unseen, which is a big part of why I asked because giving the Valkyrie to the Davions seems like a cop-out but I also can't imagine not associating it with them.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2015, 08:26:32 »
I completely agree about the Unseen, which is a big part of why I asked because giving the Valkyrie to the Davions seems like a cop-out but I also can't imagine not associating it with them.

Not all of the Unseen are equally dispersed or favored by the House armies, though.  The Valkyire is a very rare bird in the FWLM, for example, while the WVR-6M Wolverine is probably the single most common 'Mech in the FWLM.  You want flagship units?  Well, these meet that criteria.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 11 July 2015, 08:40:15 »
Not all of the Unseen are equally dispersed or favored by the House armies, though.  The Valkyire is a very rare bird in the FWLM, for example, while the WVR-6M Wolverine is probably the single most common 'Mech in the FWLM.  You want flagship units?  Well, these meet that criteria.

Very true.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 11 July 2015, 10:49:20 »
Correct.   
OP said it didn't have to be 1 from each category.

Oh gosh...your right. I assumed incorrectly. I'll now revise my favorites.

Steiner

Wolfhound
Griffin
Zeus
banshee

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 11 July 2015, 18:18:48 »
while the WVR-6M Wolverine is probably the single most common 'Mech in the FWLM.
How do you figure that?  Do you have any statistics or fluff quotes?

I have close to a dozen RATs for the FWL available & only 1 of them has the Wolvie-6M in the '7' slot.
All the rest have it in lower position or even missing from the RAT altogether.

I don't have my House Marik SB production figures with me right now, but I'm pretty sure the Wolvie was not their most produced mech by far.
IIRC the Locust is their highest produced & the Treb & Hermes both beat it out in the Medium's category.

The 6M might be a nice variant but its far from the most common mech & the Wolvie is produced by 3 other houses at various times.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 11 July 2015, 19:12:52 »
House Marik: The Free Worlds League, pg 114:

"Twenty-four different 'Mech types are currently manufactured in the League, with the most common being Stingers, Wasps, Orions, Griffins, Hermes IIs, Locusts, Wolverines, and Warhammers.

Same source, pg 115, table listing 'Mech production by chassis.  The Wolverine was produced at two different locations with a total production of 36 per year in 3025.  Only Wasps and Stingers have higher production numbers.

Same source, pp 88-104, regimental briefs.  There are 55 FWLM regiments (not counting mercenaries) listed, and a total of 22 have given 'Mech weight of "Medium," and 15 are "Light" with 16 "Heavy" and two "Assault."  Assuming that there's a 3:1 ratio of X:Medium 'Mechs (where X is either Light or Heavy in their respective regimental types) in a lance, then you've got about 50% medium-weight 'Mechs in the FWLM.  This isn't conclusive for the WVR, I know.  I'm just establishing the FWLM as predominantly medium-weight.

And finally, the coup de grace, from TRO:3039, pg 290:

"A common sight on the battlefields of the Succession Wars, the majority of Wolverines reside in the FWLM. . ."

And

"The WVR-6M became the mainstay of House Marik's medium BattleMech forces during the Succession Wars."

And just for kicks, from TRO:Project Phoenix, pg. 32:

". . . with critics noting that the FWL (a prolific Wolverine user) haven't instigated an upgrade program."

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 11 July 2015, 19:22:36 »
House Marik: The Free Worlds League, pg 114:
Same source, pp 88-104, regimental briefs.  There are 55 FWLM regiments (not counting mercenaries) listed, and a total of 22 have given 'Mech weight of "Medium," and 15 are "Light" with 16 "Heavy" and two "Assault."  Assuming that there's a 3:1 ratio of X:Medium 'Mechs (where X is either Light or Heavy in their respective regimental types) in a lance, then you've got about 50% medium-weight 'Mechs in the FWLM.  This isn't conclusive for the WVR, I know.  I'm just establishing the FWLM as predominantly medium-weight.
Not saying you are wrong, but just because they are medium weight does not mean that it is made up of medium weight mechs. It could have a bunch of light with a couple of heavy or assaults giving it an overall medium weight. Having said that for the records I am not now nor have I ever been a fan (do not dislike either) the FWLM, and would say that when I think Wolverine I think Marik.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #20 on: 11 July 2015, 22:49:35 »
The Highlander might be made by the Confe in 3025ish, but it's the only faction that has access to all three variants available st the time (-733, -733C, -733P). And per TRO 3039:

Both the Capellan Confederation and the Lyran Commonwealth use the Highlander in small numbers, as the production lines only churned out aless than a dozen a year in either facility.

So, maybe not all that iconic, but it works for me. :)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 12 July 2015, 21:55:24 »
Not saying you are wrong, just looking for more information. Was the Highlander even made in the CC during 3050's? It does talk about them using it. But the only two planets that were making it but from 3030's to mid 3050's both were part of the FC. Also they were making less than a dozen units per year. Again I may be wrong as not up on all the CC fluff (big surprise) but I always put it with Comstar in 3050's. Some of this may also be the fact that when thinking of 3050 I always go back to the first TRO 3050 before the retcons that added some of the TRO 2750 units back in. 

The Highlander might be made by the Confe in 3025ish, but it's the only faction that has access to all three variants available st the time (-733, -733C, -733P). And per TRO 3039:

So, maybe not all that iconic, but it works for me. :) 

IIRC, there is fluff that the CapCon had a rebuild/refit facility in the 3SW so that they could save many of the "destroyed" Highlanders.
The Lyrans on the other hand brought back full production of the SL model in 3055, IIRC.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #22 on: 13 July 2015, 11:26:33 »
I'd think that the Highlander would be more associated with Comstar during the 3050s than one of the Successor States.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #23 on: 13 July 2015, 11:42:05 »
I'd think that the Highlander would be more associated with Comstar during the 3050s than one of the Successor States.

The Northwind Highlanders, being part of CCAF at the time, would beg to disagree  ;)
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #24 on: 13 July 2015, 18:06:19 »
When during the 3050's were the Highlanders part of the CCAF?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Register