Author Topic: Question on tech and development in the late Succession Wars - Coffee Model  (Read 1755 times)

abou

• Captain
I recently plopped down the money for all of the Handbooks. Reading through them in the science and tech sections, there are some statements that have changed a little of my perception about the individual states and their tech by 3025. I was hoping that other forum members could clear it up. This doesn't have to do so much with military technology, but rather with the tech available to individuals and infrastructure.

I think the best way I can sum up the Successor States is in regards to a cup of coffee as made by the average household.

Capellan Confederation -- Economic models aside, the CC has been the most severely beaten state. It has lost several worlds with industry and resources, which hampers the ability to keep more sophisticated domestic technology available. Tech may be relatively homogeneous throughout the Confederation due to economic models. Coffee would likely be made in a percolator if even available, and would be pre-ground Maxwell House or Folgers.

Draconis Combine -- Most of the economy is geared toward keeping the DCMS going - even more so than other states. A fairly consistent level of tech available throughout, but nothing particularly stellar. Yet because of social norms, no one seems to be that bothered by it. Pre-ground, state-branded generic coffee would be made in a percolator.

Federated Suns -- The most diversity. Although performing well up until the 1st SW in gradual improvements, the years have not been kind. Any advancements and high-tech infrastructure made available on poorer worlds quickly vanished after the industry to support them disappeared due to extensive -- but temporary -- military advances by the CCAF and DCMS. On the richer worlds, practically any coffee roasted any way you wanted would be available and could be made in any way you chose: whether a full-blown Italian espresso machine or your average Mr. Coffee drip-machine. On poorer worlds... well, you'd be lucky to have any coffee at all. A middle-of-the-road world would be using a drip and filter machine. I imagine this similar to Britain and Western Europe wherein cities could be quite ritzy and cultural, but once you get to the countryside, the differences are dramatic.

Free Worlds League -- Also a lot of diversity among worlds, but due to an economy with extensive wealth from trade you could find much in the way of different coffee roasts. On most worlds, you could find drip coffee makers. Extensive industry available, but many factories producing with limited output as resources are limited. Breakdowns in industry are frequent, which means access to coffee makers can be sporadic.

Lyran Commonwealth -- Consistently higher tech than the other states. Although dedicated smart-tech coffee makers that interface with a personal device are available, most people have simple higher-end drip makers that may or may not perform better than a Mr. Coffee. However, much like a BMW, they are always in the shop getting fixed. They have relatively high industry output and actual production compared to other states, but significantly decreased in complexity and numbers from the Star League era. The Lyran Commonwealth is also in an odd position in that many of its worlds that were damaged in the Succession Wars have been territorial loses (compared to the Federated Suns where damaged worlds were regained later). Success through mediocrity.

snakespinner

• Captain
It sounds like someone likes their coffee.
I've never thought to judge states by coffee status. O0
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

abou

• Captain
I do love coffee!

And it seemed to be one of the easiest ways to (severely) reduce the complexities of economics into something simple.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
I know next to nothing about coffee so your coffee model went right over my head as one cup is the same to me. Having said that I think that you are asking about the general education and technology available to the people of the IS? As I understand it in broad strokes.

Capellan Confederation -- As much as I hate to say it, I think that they probable have the best primary education across the board, their secondary is fine, but nothing special.

Draconis Combine -- My understanding is a little weak here, but is that they have fine education if you have the right political connections. If you do not or even worse have the wrong ones it goes form tolerable to awful.

Federated Suns -- Again hate to say it but they probably have the best and worst, if you live in the outback it is what ever your family/community can provide. If you live in on the major worlds the best in the IS

Free Worlds League -- As I understand it here they do not have as good of schools as FS (NAIS) but they have better school than the CC probably even the LA. They do not has as wide spread education as the CC and the infighting keeps them from become top notch.

Lyran Commonwealth -- There education is fine, but other than a few specialties nation wide not the draw that the other houses have towards education. They are more interested in rubbing shoulders with people who can help them than learning how to make something work at least at the upper political levels, the masses if they can make it into the school learn all that they can to improve there lives.

Luriael

• Warrant Officer
One of my economics teacher once told me that the best way to judge a country's economics (or in this case: Successor States) is with the price of a Big Mac.

Same product, made with local produce so the pricing and availability will be different. So I guess your coffee allusions aren't too far fetched :)
"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."

- Aleksandr Kerensky

abou

• Captain
The education thing is something I know of. But that wasn't really the point.

I'm trying to get a handle on what kind of personal technology was available. Coffee seemed to be a good analogue because of the different varieties of beans and the many different ways of making it: whether that is a percolator which needs nothing more than a heat source or a complicated maker that includes timers, built-in grinders, and some source of electricity.