Author Topic: And so it begins...  (Read 4191 times)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
And so it begins...
« on: 07 December 2015, 17:29:48 »

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: And so it begins...
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2015, 17:56:49 »
Either this is the beginning of the end or a good boost to the game's population. Either way, I am wholly not prepared for the annoyance of screechy ten-year-olds who play Steam Games.

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2015, 12:15:31 »
I am wholly not prepared for the annoyance of screechy ten-year-olds who play Steam Games.

I am looking forward to killing them in droves.
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2015, 14:11:43 »
beware of the little screeching jackals they hunt in packs... >:D
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2015, 14:57:16 »
That just makes them screech more. Dear Cthulu, that makes them screech more...

Seriously, though, the new blood's good. At least MWO won't have as much of a disconnect when comparing F2P and paying consumers, compared to about 80% of other Steam Games.

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2015, 15:21:51 »
I dropped last night. The new guy might have been from Steam, or might have been just from something else.

I could tell he was new when he tried to jump from the River up on the bridge with a Highlander in Riverside.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2015, 15:33:58 »
This is gonna be sweet. Kinda reminds me of playing Halo Reach Christmas day the month after it had come out. The "noobs" were plentiful and the kills were easy to achieve. What a week that was.  >:D
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Jim1701

• Captain
  • "Don't Panic"
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2015, 17:28:16 »
Either this is the beginning of the end or a good boost to the game's population. Either way, I am wholly not prepared for the annoyance of screechy ten-year-olds who play Steam Games.

I use Steam and I haven't been 10 years old for several decades.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2015, 23:05:30 »

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/216632-countdown-to-mwo-steam-launch/

Starting Thursday December 10th at 10:00 AM PST (6:00 PM UTC) MechWarrior Online will go live for download on Steam!

Steam client FAQ:

Q: Will my existing MWO profile carry over?
Yes. After downloading MWO through Steam and logging in with your regular MWO credentials, if Steam detects existing profile data for that MWO account on your computer from an existing MWO install, it will use that profile data.
The same profile data is used by Steam and the standalone MWO client.

Q: Will downloading MWO on Steam overwrite or alter my regular MWO client?
No. Downloading MWO through Steam will download and create a new instance of the MWO client in your Steam install folder. This is the client that Steam will reference when launching MWO through Steam. After downloading MWO through Steam you can go ahead and remove your previous standalone MWO client.
However, logging in to MWO through Steam and making changes to your MWO settings or weapon groups will commit those changes to your shared MWO profile data.

Q: Will I still need or be able to use the MWO Repair Tool?
Steam has its own integrity checker, so you won't need to use our Repair Tool if you're running MWO through Steam. If you run into an issue after applying a patch through Steam, you can verify the integrity of your game cache with the following steps:
• Open Steam
• Access the Library
• Right click on MechWarrior Online
• Select Properties
• Click the Local Files tab
• Click Verify Integrity of Game Cache

Q: Is MechWarrior Online available for pre-load on Steam?
No.

Q: Will we have to run MWO through Steam starting December 10th?
No. You can continue to run MWO as normal.

Q: I notice the MWO Steam Page has a 'Steam Achievements' tag. Am I going to have to re-earn all of my Achievements?
No, your Steam Achievement progress is derived from your existing profile! The first time you log-in to MWO through Steam you'll receive notifications for each of the Achievements you've already unlocked.

Q: Does that mean I get the Achievement rewards again?
Alas, no.

Q: Can I use my Steam Wallet to purchase content?
Funds from your Steam Wallet can only be used to purchase the following items:
• MC packs through the in-game 'Purchase MC' button (brings up the Steam overlay)
• Steam Performance Pack DLC Bundles (through the MWO store page)

Steam Performance Packs will be priced using a Steam-recommended regional pricing structure.
MC purchased using Steam Wallet funds will use standard USD exchange rates.

Q: Will you have Steam Trading Cards?
Not at launch.

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2015, 09:39:13 »
Steam Performance Packs will be priced using a Steam-recommended regional pricing structure.

Well, I have donated enough money to Steam in my past. I'll stick with buying through the website to PGI gets the full money I'm putting into the game.

If I could speak to PGI at this point, I would say stop talking. No more Twitter. No more Twitch TV sessions. Stick with bare announcements when you have a concrete time something is going to happen, and teaser pictures. It is clear the community can't handle speculative information.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #10 on: 10 December 2015, 13:45:27 »
heh for the first time ever, i think steam reviews have been disabled by the game's publisher.
EDIT: curious.....it seems like reviews are locked, yet people are reviewing it. hmmm...

If I could speak to PGI at this point, I would say stop talking. No more Twitter. No more Twitch TV sessions. Stick with bare announcements when you have a concrete time something is going to happen, and teaser pictures. It is clear the community can't handle speculative information.

to be fair, from the way russ seems to thing things work, i'm not sure their leadership can handle speculative information.
« Last Edit: 10 December 2015, 14:30:17 by Orin J. »
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 10 December 2015, 19:15:34 »
heh for the first time ever, i think steam reviews have been disabled by the game's publisher.
EDIT: curious.....it seems like reviews are locked, yet people are reviewing it. hmmm...

That's normal, Steam won't let you post a review of a game unless you've actually played that game via Steam.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #12 on: 11 December 2015, 18:07:36 »
On my way downtown for the launch party as I type this!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 12 December 2015, 21:52:50 »
That's normal, Steam won't let you post a review of a game unless you've actually played that game via Steam.

yeah, it took a few minutes. i dropped my warning to players and moved on. the games i played had no meaningful change in skill levels compared to before, so i think the steam noobs will fit right in with the usual self-important dregs.

did get more IDF locks though.....

Cergorach

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2015, 13:56:05 »
It's been three years plus since I last played MWO. I liked it, but it also felt incomplete/clunky. I pretty much moved on to Planetside 2 for my multiplayer action, but when MSO showed up on Steam, I just had to try it. And boy! Did it change!

So many trial Mechs, some even with 30% XP bonuses. So many Mechs. Were did the repair between missions go? Why are my Commando builds no longer effective? Ohhh... Locust! What did they do with the MechHangar interface!?!? etc.

I like the game better, although it moved even further away from MechSim to MechFPS, no bad persé though.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #15 on: 14 December 2015, 14:02:10 »
It's been three years plus since I last played MWO. I liked it, but it also felt incomplete/clunky. I pretty much moved on to Planetside 2 for my multiplayer action, but when MSO showed up on Steam, I just had to try it. And boy! Did it change!

So many trial Mechs, some even with 30% XP bonuses. So many Mechs. Were did the repair between missions go? Why are my Commando builds no longer effective? Ohhh... Locust! What did they do with the MechHangar interface!?!? etc.

I like the game better, although it moved even further away from MechSim to MechFPS, no bad persé though.

mech repair was removed as it was found too many players took advantage of the "free 10% repair" and then never fully repaired/rearmed a mech leading to teams being under supported with players launching with mechs 1 shot from death for "maximum C-Bill return"

As a result, rewards were reduced across the board under the guise of "players always repair their mechs".

personally, I think it was a move for the better
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Orin J.

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 December 2015, 16:01:11 »
-Why are my Commando builds no longer effective?

PM me your builds and i'll be happy to let you know. the COM- is a staple of mine when i need to score decently to get through an event.

Hawktel

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 14 December 2015, 18:37:07 »
I've played a bunch and I like a few things, and dislike a few others...

I think it is good that your seeing some people trying new things.  Not every game on riverside needed to go to the Citadel and shoot across the river till the last few pushed on each other. On the other hand watching a atlas try to run across the high bridge in riverside is funny.

Disconnects. These seem way higher. I went from seeing them every now and then to fairly common. Also people seem to be slower of the mark.  Game time you can look back and see 2-4 mechs still in the starting area not moving, but later in the game they got out and involved. I don't think this is bad as it seems to be affecting everyone equally.

Fast Drops. Sunday morning I was dropping heavies to try to finish my Marauders to Elite and the heavy queue was 42%. I was waiting 2-3 minutes before drops. I swapped to Lights, and assaults after I got them completed and was dropping nearly instantly, 5-10 second waits for a drop.

Player shooting. I'm more careful about not crowding fire lines. Some of these new guys have no concept of don't shoot the team. Same with the random trigger pulls right after the drop. Shoot the rock all you want, Don't shoot the Team.

Map Coordinates.  That's all. They are not tough to figure out for most.

Grouping up doesn't isn't something some people want to do. The rolling ball of death is now 5 mechs if your lucky. Lots of potential Steiner recruits also. I can tell by the wall that Atlas is way over there, stomping Scouting around by himself.

Overall, I think its been great.

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: 14 December 2015, 18:56:10 »
Singapore server (its not in Oceania PGI...) has been pretty bad since Steam release, lots more disconnects both in game and after the map/mode winner page is shown - either ungracefully (just hangs on the page and never progresses and if you alt-f4 you are slugged with a disconnect penalty!) or gracefully (shunted back to mech lab with a "No game server available to connect to" error... after map/mode select?!)

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #19 on: 15 December 2015, 09:49:36 »
Overall, I think its been great.
In some respects, sounds like the new Steam population is playing much like how older MWO folks started.

Rolling zergs of death constantly macro'ing the fire key, unaware (or not caring) about friendly fire.
Hopefully that will sort itself out in the future.
Though I will say I'm of mixed emotions about queues and how weight factors into when you'll get a game.

On one hand, I like it. Eventually the community will sort out drop times and hopefully the weights will be settled out.
People will play various weight classes. Once again my optimism is showing.
Then again I do love my heavies more than my lights.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Register