Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish  (Read 222869 times)

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
Re: New and Upcoming Releases, Vol. X: All Systems Nominal...ish
« Reply #300 on: 31 July 2017, 16:55:46 »
Yeah, I'd be happy to volunteer to take care of exactly this kind of scut work if CGL wants, I just always was under the same impression of Sartris.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #301 on: 31 July 2017, 22:25:47 »
It wouldn't hurt to actually advertise that volunteers are wanted/needed. Not doing so and the constant reminders about not wanting any unsolicited work gives off a strong "don't call us, we'll call you" vibe
They did. Almost 2 years ago: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48296.0

And the discussion thread for it: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48297.0

Despite the request, no one has fulfilled all the requested options, at least not that I'm aware of.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #302 on: 31 July 2017, 22:59:35 »
I have no programming chops, sorry :P
(I really should take some classes)
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #303 on: 31 July 2017, 23:14:32 »
They did. Almost 2 years ago: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48296.0

And the discussion thread for it: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=48297.0

Despite the request, no one has fulfilled all the requested options, at least not that I'm aware of.

I kind of remember this, though I tend not to categorically memorize posts from years ago that request services far outside my own skillset.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #304 on: 31 July 2017, 23:22:30 »
And what requested options?

Take note that when it comes to desired features everything with any detail was actually submitted by fans for that design software request thread.

Seriously the requirements demanded by CGL are so vague and poorly specified that there is no wonder no serious submittals have been made.  Also we're still waiting for the promised FAQ.

Heck I offered to write a much more professional Request For Proposal for CGL.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #305 on: 31 July 2017, 23:41:39 »

I wouldn't call this a request for volunteers. You ask for volunteers for mods/admin, playtesting, spotting errors in a new product before released (almost like the betas), and other minor work that no one expects pay for.

Designing, prototyping, and developing custom software for mech design... thats a tall order w/o a lot of extra information. Even when I asked a few questions about it the response was a bit vague. Probably due to the lack of technical knowledge on the other end which I can understand.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #306 on: 31 July 2017, 23:45:59 »
Yeah, there really is a world of difference between "help out making record sheets" and "design this program from the ground up to make record sheets".  At this point we could probably already have finished making record sheet products by hand in a community effort.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #307 on: 01 August 2017, 00:00:46 »
As I understand it, the last record sheets we got were completed manually, one by one. I guess whoever the person(s) doing that might have been got tired of it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #308 on: 01 August 2017, 04:33:44 »
As I understand it, the last record sheets we got were completed manually, one by one. I guess whoever the person(s) doing that might have been got tired of it.

Not quite. They were kicked upstairs to help with more important products.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #309 on: 01 August 2017, 06:56:49 »
I wouldn't call this a request for volunteers. You ask for volunteers for mods/admin, playtesting, spotting errors in a new product before released (almost like the betas), and other minor work that no one expects pay for.
And CGL has lots of those, just check the "Fact Checking/Playtesting" acknowledgements section of any product. When that gets down to 5 or less people per product, then you might see new people joining.

Designing, prototyping, and developing custom software for mech design... thats a tall order w/o a lot of extra information. Even when I asked a few questions about it the response was a bit vague. Probably due to the lack of technical knowledge on the other end which I can understand.
Unfortunately, that's where the big need is right now.

And what requested options?

Take note that when it comes to desired features everything with any detail was actually submitted by fans for that design software request thread.

Seriously the requirements demanded by CGL are so vague and poorly specified that there is no wonder no serious submittals have been made.  Also we're still waiting for the promised FAQ.

Heck I offered to write a much more professional Request For Proposal for CGL.
I can't find it off hand, but it basically comes down to software that can be used to design units consistent with the published construction rules and print recordsheets for said units. This would be for all unit types that have some kind of recordsheet.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #310 on: 01 August 2017, 07:35:36 »
Unfortunately, that's where the big need is right now.
The technical knowledge or the need for design software? I'm guessing both, but not sure how many people may have started and stalled on the latter. I've gone over a few designs but my biggest question was if this was going to be commercial to replace Heavy Metal or for internal use. Makes a difference if you plan on using open source tools to develop software under a GPL license which makes it difficult to sell commercially since the source code must be available as well for free.

I can't find it off hand, but it basically comes down to software that can be used to design units consistent with the published construction rules and print recordsheets for said units. This would be for all unit types that have some kind of recordsheet.
I think I remember something about this and TPTB wanting something for units as well as for aToW character generation as well though I don't recall who brought it up.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #311 on: 01 August 2017, 07:50:28 »
Folks, please move the discussion back to new and upcoming products.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #312 on: 02 August 2017, 23:55:24 »
So maybe it's time for a state of the Coming Releases list assessment

Novels (Shadows of Faith, Case White, Kell Hounds Ascendant) - any news besides "currently being written"?

Combat Manuals (Davion, Steiner) - Thanks, Harmony Gold!

XTRO: Succession Wars II

RS: Prototypes Unabridged

TRO: IrregularTech - I don't recall seeing any updates since we got the table of contents a while back

TRO: Golden Century - I assume this comes after TRO:IT

ilClan - The truth (and the book) is out there.

Other PDFs (Milestones, OpFor, Spotlight On, Touring the Stars) - please?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #313 on: 03 August 2017, 00:49:19 »

I keep having 25 Years of Art and Fiction flashbacks, the idea some art may need be cut saddens me.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #314 on: 03 August 2017, 05:54:53 »
They should sneak in another produced called  Experimental Technical Readout: Boondoggles II (Republic Era Edition).
Nearly everything in Interstellar Ops's RISC section seems to be promising new entry with comedy potential entries..   ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #315 on: 03 August 2017, 06:04:41 »
Laser Pulse Modules and repeating TSEMP aren't that bad, Improved Heavy Lasers and HVAC's also have the explode when attack roll rolls a 2, but other's yeah not worth it.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #316 on: 03 August 2017, 07:05:20 »
I've removed the recent off-topic messages related to the design software.  That subject is finished in this thread until and unless CGL announces it is releasing software of that nature.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #317 on: 03 August 2017, 09:01:13 »

CM: Davion had been back-burnered well before the HG suit was filed in March, and certainly long before that suit was publicly noticed two weeks ago. As has been stated (more than once, IIRC) in a previous Upcoming Releases thread, the CMs are art-intensive and expensive to produce, and need to sell well in order to justify future volumes. I'm still nominally under contract to edit CM:D, and have been for more than a year, but for months there's been no indication that I'd be starting on it any time soon.

Certainly, the presence of the suit likely creates significant issues with the CMs, so you're not wrong in your statement. But it's worth re-iterating that the book was not seeing much movement even before that happened.

Other PDFs (Milestones, OpFor, Spotlight On, Touring the Stars) - please?

There's a number of Touring the Stars and Spotlights On in the hopper, at various stages in the editing and/or layout phases. Hopefully, with the convention-related product rush out of the way, you'll start seeing regular releases of them again.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #318 on: 03 August 2017, 17:35:31 »
I liked the Combat Manuals and hope we do get to see CM Davion and Steiner before the end of 2018 even if some of the newer art has to be cut.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #319 on: 03 August 2017, 18:36:14 »
CM: Davion had been back-burnered well before the HG suit was filed in March, and certainly long before that suit was publicly noticed two weeks ago. As has been stated (more than once, IIRC) in a previous Upcoming Releases thread, the CMs are art-intensive and expensive to produce, and need to sell well in order to justify future volumes.

Yeah, personally I'd seen the handwriting on the wall for the CMs long before any legal troubles were brewing, just from the way TPTB were suddenly talking in terms of "if" they are released, not "when" they'd be. I still hope they are, I very much enjoyed reading CM:M and CM:K, and Really want to see the Alpha Strike treatment given to my two favorite houses, Davion and Marik :)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #320 on: 03 August 2017, 18:44:02 »
Man, I though everyone liked the Combat Manuals. Then again, Herb said something about Faction Books not doing well in the past :'(

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #321 on: 03 August 2017, 18:52:17 »
How am I supposed to be sufficiently pithy and cast aspersions with that level of nuance?

.RL

• Master Sergeant
  • Freeborn Scum
« Reply #322 on: 03 August 2017, 18:57:03 »
Man, I though everyone liked the Combat Manuals. Then again, Herb said something about Faction Books not doing well in the past :'(

I enjoyed them. I am (was? :'() looking forward to the Steiner and Davion combat manuals to come out, and hoping they would make one which encompassed the clans. I think that the special formations/units are neat, and it's awesome to see the different camo patterns for each unit.

I hope they continue making them.
A bit obsessed with the BattleTech universe since I saw the glorious TV show as a kid...

My humble offering of painted 'Mechs

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #323 on: 03 August 2017, 19:06:36 »
Even if just PDF please please please finish them.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #324 on: 03 August 2017, 19:09:25 »
Even if just PDF please please please finish them.

<"Bada-book-bada-boom" guy> "promote that man." </"Bada-book-bada-boom" guy>

O0

And yes, I second this. Even if they have to be PDF only with minimal art, Please release them if at all possible.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #325 on: 03 August 2017, 19:11:34 »
I think the Combat Manuals are fantastic books. I'd also like to see the remaining volumes.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #326 on: 03 August 2017, 19:28:57 »
From what I'm getting their selling pretty good, it's just that the art required costs too much. If they covered 3025 IN ADDITION to 3050 maybe they'd be doing well enough to continue, or maybe if they focused on the currant era they'd sell well enough.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #327 on: 03 August 2017, 20:09:10 »
I hope for sake of everyone that CGL is able to come out with entire Combat Manual line in their entirety.  However the books may end up being likely to need to come out without the mini-TRO in it. Reason is its highly likely that what is holding things back aside from the expensive art is likely due to HG's shady legal moves i suspect.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2017, 21:26:26 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #328 on: 03 August 2017, 20:31:03 »
Im generally a PDF guy, but I bought hard copies of CM Mercs and Kurita at Origins, just to show a little extra support. I really would like to see the series finished, at least for the successor states. I'd buy all of them, even Liao! Of course, I'm only one guy, and not rich enough to fund it all by myself.

Still, that cover art for CM Davion haunts my dreams!

Doom

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #329 on: 03 August 2017, 20:47:32 »
I got the impression from Geoff Swift's FB page that Combat Manual Davion was written some time back. That means it's either art that's the issue or it was cancelled. I hope it's the former. If sales numbers are so important, it seems short-sighted to stop the series before what is almost certainly to be the biggest-selling of the entire series (if they go through with completing it).