Author Topic: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!  (Read 251828 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Naval Pictures Forecastle: Laying siege to the poop deck!
« Reply #90 on: 17 August 2017, 18:39:22 »
anyway, here are some more images of HMS Queen Elizabeth, HMS Victory and because there are "exploded" diagrams of both warships, another exploded warship

I'm a little surprised at that flagship picture...I mean not at least one or two Ark Royal's? I would have thought that at least the one that served as the English flagship against the Spanish Armada would warrant...personally, I would have used her before the Mary Rose...

???

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #91 on: 17 August 2017, 18:43:16 »
I love how in that image depicting the Mary Rose they just say "sank in battle". "Rolled over in a strong gust of wind" doesn't have the same patriotic punch.  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #92 on: 17 August 2017, 22:26:10 »
I love how in that image depicting the Mary Rose they just say "sank in battle". "Rolled over in a strong gust of wind" doesn't have the same patriotic punch.  :P

Well its not wrong :p She was taking part in a battle at the time, or at least sailing to engage the enemy (and seeing as it was the 1500's it was of course, The French).
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #93 on: 18 August 2017, 07:56:38 »
This is the USS Hewell (AG-145) & also (AKL-14). Originally built in 1944 as FS-139, she was intended to work for the US Army as a cargo ship. She brough into service as a light freighter for commissioned US navy work, where she was a light freighter conveying cargo to small US bases in the Central Pacific region.  Commissioned in 1948 in US Navy as the Hewell, she then operated in Pacific until 1955.  She essentially did runs to Hawaii initially for Guam (other central Pacific islands) and later years for Korean War, she was operating out of Japan.  Until the war's end.  She was only armed with 50 cal machine guns.

Now she not a remarkable ship, except for one thing.  This ship was also, the ship used "Mister Roberts", the old 1950s Comedy film.  The ship solely was utilized for the filming between Hawaii and Midway Island. 

She ended her days in Washington state where she was decommissioned and scrapped.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #94 on: 19 August 2017, 02:37:40 »
HMAS Arrow (P88) an Attack-class patrol boat, top speed 24 knots, armed with a 40mm Bofors and two 50-cal M2 Browning machine guns:

She was based in Darwin, when on Christmas Day 1974, Darwin was hit by Cyclone Tracey. This is HMAS Arrow, following Cyclone Tracey:

Here is the story about her on that day.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 19 August 2017, 04:07:33 »
One hopes that the crew was enclosed in a nice and safe barracks building. That boat can be sent out for recycling and turned into beer cans.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #96 on: 19 August 2017, 04:47:05 »
Unfortunately, HMAS Arrow's crew were ordered to take her out to a Navy-provided cyclone buoy, roughly a kilometre out to sea from Stokes Hill Wharf in Darwin. Arrow's anchor winch and cable slips were ripped clean from the deck of the ship, leaving the vessel to the mercy of the waves and winds more than 200 kilometres per hour.

Quote from: Robert Dagworthy, Captain of HMAS Arrow
"We could see red and green light as waves washed right over the ship — the rain actually took the paint off the metalwork."

Unfortunately, two of the crew died as they attempted to bring the ship back into Darwin harbour and ground it.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #97 on: 19 August 2017, 10:07:34 »
One pic, two threads:

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #98 on: 19 August 2017, 14:51:08 »
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #99 on: 19 August 2017, 15:04:31 »
Finally!  I'm otherwise at a loss for words...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #100 on: 19 August 2017, 18:42:43 »
Based on the photos available so far, she's in remarkably good shape. The amount of marine growth seems to be pretty minimal compared to the Musashi a couple of years ago- being out in the middle of nowhere away from islands seems to be helpful in that regard (as was the case with Yorktown).

I'll be very interested to see more of this.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #101 on: 19 August 2017, 18:46:21 »
Wasn't Indianapolis in deeper water?  Won't that keep her better preserved?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #102 on: 19 August 2017, 18:49:40 »
Amazing. I didn't know Indianapolis was a flagship or that she was delivering nuke components.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #103 on: 19 August 2017, 18:56:52 »
Aerial view of the Repair Tender, USS Promedeus servicing the USS South Dakota and some destroyers in 1942.  The heck of undetaking.  There isn't a lot repair tenders left in the US Navy now, i guess shipyard work is better than trying do repairs at sea.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #104 on: 19 August 2017, 21:12:13 »
Amazing. I didn't know Indianapolis was a flagship or that she was delivering nuke components.
She's also the ship described in the movie Jaws, when Quint is describing the Navy cruiser that was torpedoed and lost a lot of crew to groups of sharks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4190178/Jaws-death-story-USS-Indianapolis.html

Approximately nine hundred sailors survived the torpedo attack and rapid sinking of the cruiser.  Three hundred were rescued.  The rest?  Food.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 19 August 2017, 21:37:55 »
She's also the ship described in the movie Jaws, when Quint is describing the Navy cruiser that was torpedoed and lost a lot of crew to groups of sharks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4190178/Jaws-death-story-USS-Indianapolis.html

Approximately nine hundred sailors survived the torpedo attack and rapid sinking of the cruiser.  Three hundred were rescued.  The rest?  Food.
It was the subject of the eponymous Nick Cage movie last year. It got extremely poor reviews.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #106 on: 19 August 2017, 21:39:55 »
It was the subject of the eponymous Nick Cage movie last year. It got extremely poor reviews.

Which was sad, really. I know it got a lot of negative, reviews, but I can't help but think that those poor reviewers deserved better than to have to watch that thing in the first place. (It was truly awful- like, bad to the point of being offensive. I gave up after about 45 minutes.)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #107 on: 19 August 2017, 22:05:22 »
You're making me glad I never heard of it...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #108 on: 19 August 2017, 22:17:51 »
One of the survivors still walks around Indy today. Last time I personally seen him was about three weeks ago at the local downtown grocery store. Must be close to well into his nineties...

Gives out those toothpick American flags and had a few years ago, a table with his autobiography for sale. Plus that painting that shows the sinking.

I haven't seen him in a while, hope he's ok...

TT
(Supposedly, Indy is to get the sail of the sub for the canal located downtown..)
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #109 on: 20 August 2017, 19:36:18 »
Just been reported here in Aus, that the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) has collided with a merchant ship east of Singapore.

I am beginning to think that the USN needs to consider improving their seamanship training for Arleigh Burke crews . . .

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #110 on: 20 August 2017, 20:09:57 »
Just been reported here in Aus, that the guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain (DDG-56) has collided with a merchant ship east of Singapore.

I am beginning to think that the USN needs to consider improving their seamanship training for Arleigh Burke crews . . .

[metalhealth] [metalhealth] [metalhealth]

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #111 on: 21 August 2017, 01:33:15 »
Thoughts and prayers for the 10 missing sailors and their families.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #112 on: 21 August 2017, 05:53:48 »
This is the ship the McCain ran into. The Alnic MC

Straights they were operating in is pretty dense in traffic.  While i was in the Navy in the early 1990s, the Auxiliary ship i was on responded to a collision of a freighter and tanker.  It sheered bow off the tanker, while freighter was listing to side.  There was at least 1 fatality, which wasn't pleasant business for my ship's crew on the flight deck.  It was terrible business.  That must been a minor glance they took, the McCain could have been easily sunk by that thing.

I thoughts are with the lost sailors/families and the the crews both ships.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #113 on: 21 August 2017, 07:59:25 »
While I am very very sorry for the crew and families of both this ship and the others recently involved in accidents, I do also have an evil black sense of humour...

There is a bit of me that can't help wondering if the training for lookouts aboard these DDGs needs to include more emphasis on their surface action role and not to just spend the whole time looking at the sky?

I do find it odd that these collisions keep happening in these waters as the English Channel is also very busy but people don't bump into each other badly enough to hit the news from one year to the next. Are people not using their radar, look outs etc? This bit a question to my more learned colleagues
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #114 on: 21 August 2017, 08:40:52 »
The collision also sparked a minor turf war as it happened in waters disputed by Malaysia and Singapore. That aside, all hands are on deck for the SAR though.

One would think that after USS Cole all the way back when, people would be watching their surface radars more carefully. Between this and Japan the USN's reputation has taken a couple of dents in these parts I'm afraid.

In more pleasant news... Queen Liz's arrived in Portsmouth.

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #115 on: 21 August 2017, 09:42:34 »
Why do navies have a tradition of having the men stand along the railings of the ship when entering port?

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #116 on: 21 August 2017, 10:52:29 »
Why do navies have a tradition of having the men stand along the railings of the ship when entering port?
Here you go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manning_the_rail
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: 21 August 2017, 11:03:01 »
Ah, so that's what they call it.  I knew it had a term, but I couldn't remember what it was.  Thanks.  I'm surprised that it's only a US tradition since it originated in the age of sail.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #118 on: 21 August 2017, 11:45:13 »
Ah, so that's what they call it.  I knew it had a term, but I couldn't remember what it was.  Thanks.  I'm surprised that it's only a US tradition since it originated in the age of sail.

The Royal Navy does it too, it used to be manning the yards when there were sail carrying masts but the wikipedia page looks to have been written from a purely USN point of view

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yard_(sailing)#Manning_the_yards
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

kato

• Captain
« Reply #119 on: 21 August 2017, 13:00:22 »
I'm surprised that it's only a US tradition since it originated in the age of sail.
In the German Navy - and the French Navy - the equivalent formation is pretty much only commanded if it's the ship's last cruise, usually accompanied with salutes. The default in both seems to be to have one or two dozen men in formation on the aviation deck (not at the rails). Other than that both only use it as an exceptional greeting - e.g. to distinguished warships, or for German ships also when passing the Navy Memorial at Laboe.

However, in both countries manning the rails seems to be generally used on entering port with cadets though. For Germany that's with an actual sail ship of course, but for France the only pictures of e.g. one of the Mistrals manning the rails are from the cadet cruises.

The Royal Navy does it too
Australian and Canadian ships too, in the same excessive way.

Register