Author Topic: Chinese names in BT  (Read 19185 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Chinese names in BT
« Reply #90 on: 14 September 2017, 18:22:08 »
should be organized in Alliterative verse format, and utilize more heiti and Kennings
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/onp/index.htm

:)

And there you have it.

One person tries to do something a little different, and another will come along and tell them how it should have been done. ;)

Or:

https://www.universallearningacademy.com/the-man-the-boy-and-the-donkey/
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #91 on: 14 September 2017, 18:40:31 »
There are certain phrases and pronunciations in Japanese that resemble Cantonese pronunciations.  One explanation is that Japanese absorbed this vocabulary and pronunciation from Tang dynasty China, and Cantonese similarly is descended from that period too, explaining why for example Tang poems still rhyme in spoken Cantonese but no longer rhyme in spoken Mandarin.

And it now it happens in all directions in our modern globalised world, for example

Japanese: カラオケ

English: Karaoke (which I understand is a phonetic translation of the Japanese characters)

Chinese: 卡拉OK (in Traditional Chinese script) or 卡拉OK (in Simplified Chinese script) or Kǎlā OK (in pinyin) (and yes that is the english/latin alphabet letters of "O" and "K" in the chinese word for karaoke).

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #92 on: 14 September 2017, 18:43:36 »
And it now it happens in all directions in our modern globalised world, for example

Japanese: カラオケ

English: Karaoke (which I understand is a phonetic translation of the Japanese characters)

Chinese: 卡拉OK (in Traditional Chinese script) or 卡拉OK (in Simplified Chinese script) or Kǎlā OK (in pinyin) (and yes that is the english/latin alphabet letters of "O" and "K" in the chinese word for karaoke).

And in Korean it's 노래방 (Noraebang/nolaebang) or literally in English, Singing Room ;)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #93 on: 14 September 2017, 18:46:08 »
Nolaebang seems an entirely appropriate term for karaoke.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #94 on: 14 September 2017, 18:57:37 »
Nolaebang seems an entirely appropriate term for karaoke.

Yeah, I don't know what Karaoke is in English beyond, well, Karaoke.

But 노래방, or Noraebang, is as I said, Singing Room (노래 - Singing, and 방 being Room).

When I went to korea before Marrying, I would often spend a couple of hours waiting while my wife was in class at one of the many: 비디오방, or (phonetically) a Pidiobang, which if you say it fast you can easily translate yourself knowing that Bang = Room.

비디오 is Pi-di-o or...Video.

Which is something that one never saw in north America. You and a bunch of your young friends want to get together and hang and watch a DVD or video, North American's would head to the local BlockBuster and rent the videos and take them home. In Korea, while they had those sort of places, they also had lots of 비디오방/Video Rooms, where, you would rent a video, they put it in a machine (DVD player/VCR) and direct you to one of the various rooms which had some chairs, couch, etc and a TV to watch it on.

Was really interesting.
« Last Edit: 14 September 2017, 19:01:48 by NeonKnight »

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #95 on: 14 September 2017, 19:34:34 »
Yeah, I don't know what Karaoke is in English beyond, well, Karaoke.

Carey-Okie.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #96 on: 14 September 2017, 19:37:47 »
Carey-Okie.

I meant translation. As i said above the Korean is literally 'Singing Room'.  :P

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #97 on: 14 September 2017, 19:51:12 »
Karaoke is a Japanese compound-abbreviation of kara okesutora, or "empty orchestra".  There's really no English for it other than karaoke, it's a Japanese invention.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 14 September 2017, 19:52:12 »
The word typically used for story in Japanese is 物語 - monogatari. My Japanese is very basic, but I'm not aware of kucha being used as a word for story.
Really? Well heck that again illustrates the folly of hearing about such things from non-native speakers.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #99 on: 14 September 2017, 20:01:29 »
Karaoke is a Japanese compound-abbreviation of kara okesutora, or "empty orchestra".  There's really no English for it other than karaoke, it's a Japanese invention.

Someone told me it was a joke, the closes English equivalent being tone deaf. Kara can also mean 'void' like your missing allot of notes.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #100 on: 14 September 2017, 20:04:16 »
Really? Well heck that again illustrates the folly of hearing about such things from non-native speakers.

Can confirm, "kucha" is not a Japanese word.

Possible translations for story:
ストーリー suto-ri-: Story in the sense of a "narrative" or "story line." Gets back to the key point that one major element for realistic linguistic drift is contact with other languages
物語 monogatari: as suggested this works, but sounds a little archaic, story in the sense of a "tale" or "chronicle"
話し hanashi: a spoken story, as in "cool story, bro"
小説 shosetsu: a novel
記事 kiji: a newspaper story or article
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #101 on: 14 September 2017, 20:09:20 »

I had read previously that "empty orchestra" is the literal translation of karaoke.

謝謝您 / xiè xiè nín (thank you) for confirming this for me and providing the full derivation of the word karaoke.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #102 on: 16 September 2017, 04:20:33 »
Some of the "linguistic drift" can also be because of situations like this: http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2017/09/14/crazy-name-melbourne-winery-has-people-hysterics

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #103 on: 17 September 2017, 08:10:18 »

What will our Japanese friends think of next? :o