Author Topic: Introduce Yourself!  (Read 2665 times)

Mackie

• Recruit
Introduce Yourself!
« on: 14 November 2017, 08:17:49 »
Hi All, I'm new to Battletech.
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It just gets in your blood or something; I don't know.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #1 on: 14 November 2017, 09:56:51 »
battletech is happy to have you.

we specialize in being overwhelmingly helpful so don't be shy about asking questions  :)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Mackie

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 14 November 2017, 10:02:18 »
First question?

How do I make counters for Alpha Strike and Unit Cards? I have a unit card for the Mackie, but not a counter. I am more interested in the table-top wargaming aspect of Battletech, however I am interested in the role-playing aspect more for lore. The novels are great too. I am reading the Sword and the Dagger. All I have to say is WOW!!!
This Battletech thing is so exciting I just couldn't give it up. It just gets in your blood or something; I don't know.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #3 on: 14 November 2017, 10:08:53 »
Welcome aboard!

When you say you need 'counters', we're talking paper? I would suggest, if you want your games to look spiffy, going with miniatures. Iron Wind Metals is the official maker of Battletech miniatures- in fact, this seems right up your alley...

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=6659

Regardless, glad to have you aboard- as Sartris said, we're happy to answer any and all questions (except the ones we don't want to), and even will provide answers to questions you didn't want to know answers to. (For example, the answer to the question in your mind right now is 'tacos for dinner')

Now go kill something before the coolant in your heat sinks gets all stale.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2017, 10:13:41 »
if you're looking for a quick and dirty way to get some mechs on the table and want some tokens before committing money to miniatures, I made this series of paper standups: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53689.0

the mackie can be found in the TRO: 3075 file

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Mackie

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 14 November 2017, 10:31:47 »
Wow!?! Sartis, stand and deliver man!!! I haven't committed any money to buying miniatures yet. I also have a lot of paper-craft buildings and terrain thanks to Sarna.net. I am also looking for paper standups (counters) for vehicles and infantry, etc... I just want to get a feel for the game before I commit actual money to it. Plus I have little ones at home and they can destroy daddy's things real fast. My son, (5 at the time) spilled water all over a boardgame I bought from the UK. At least with this I can reprint everything.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2017, 11:12:56 »
Welcome aboard!

I have little ones at home and they can destroy daddy's things real fast.

(Solemn nod)

With a very curious 2-1/4 year old at home, I'm exploring a new and exciting aspect of the hobby: securing anything I love and want to keep intact.

Because Winter is Coming.

In the form of smudgy grabby toddler hands.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2017, 11:26:04 »

Hello! I'm very, very old to BattleTech. Welcome to the community!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Mackie

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2017, 12:10:33 »
My apologies if I stirred the pot. I am appreciative of this community and all it has to offer. I look forward to great times playing Battletech.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #9 on: 14 November 2017, 12:29:45 »
Welcome.

I'm...Old to Battletech: I'm 50+ BT is 30+

I'm Old to Battletech: Played the original Battledroid - 'Cause "Hey Look...ROBOTECH!"

I'm New to Battletech: After an on-again-off again playing of the game over 30 years, I'm finally playing BT almost exclusively

Again, Welcome!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #10 on: 14 November 2017, 12:31:25 »
First hello and welcome.  :)  Second, you did not stir anything, so no apologies necessary.

I'm both old and new to the game.  Used to play classic Battletech a long time ago, but have gotten back into the game now through Alpha Strike.  My step-son and I are quite enjoying it.  And the beauty of Battletech is you can commit as much (or little) money as you want.  Really all you need is a rulebook, a pair of dice, and something to play on.  What you use to represent units, terrain, etc is entirely up to you.  I've got some pics from a couple games I'm going to put up in the after action reports section later today and you can see what I mean.  We are nothing fancy (though I do have minis), but it works for us and we have a blast.

Again, welcome aboard and welcome to one awesome sci-fi universe.  Enjoy!  8)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #11 on: 14 November 2017, 12:32:01 »
My apologies if I stirred the pot. I am appreciative of this community and all it has to offer. I look forward to great times playing Battletech.

Why are you apologizing? From what I can see, you didnae do anything wrong. :) Welcome aboard, and may all your shots be critical hits!  O0

Hominid Mk II

• Warrant Officer
  • Unofficial, sure. But better than nothing, right?
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2017, 12:33:35 »
Why are you apologizing? From what I can see, you didnae do anything wrong. :) Welcome aboard, and may all your shots be critical hits!  O0

I'd like to second that.

Belatedly returning to the original topic of saying hello... I'm something of an old-timer too. I came on board (aged 18) in 1989, dropped out (aged 30) in 2001 after a major upheaval in the BattleTech Universe (the Federated Commonwealth Civil War) that I greatly disliked, and drifted back (aged 37) in 2008. I'm currently (aged 46) in the process of turning into an archetypal moaning old fart who endlessly complains about how much better things were in my younger days. Because they were in my opinion!
« Last Edit: 14 November 2017, 12:44:54 by Hominid Mk II »
Ever felt that The Powers That Were at FASA, WizKids and FanPro never gave Victor Steiner-Davion and the Federated Commonwealth a fair shake in the canon timeline? Then you might be interested in my Victor Victorious AU at

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=65976.0

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2017, 12:52:53 »

No apologies needed at all, everything is good. Welcome to the game and to the forums.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 14 November 2017, 13:00:52 »
Howdy Mackie,

Welcome to BT and the forums. The people here will be of great help with the game.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: 14 November 2017, 13:24:37 »
Welcome aboard.

My introduction to the Battletech Universe was the excellent MechWarrior 2 computer game and the cheesy Battletech Animated series of 1994... just realized that's 24 years of giant stompy robots.

The great thing about BT is that you don't need to invest a small fortune to play. Until more recently, I have been using the free Intro Rules and paper counters from the download section along with fan resources. I have purchased some AS Lance Packs for Minis + Cards this year, something to keep a eye on during the holiday sale season :) But all you really need is some 6 sided die to play ( and a tape measure for AS)

If you have any questions about any given Battlemech, the Master Unit List is a great resource http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2426/panther-pnt-c along with Sarna.net for and in-universe info and rule book sources http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Panther and of course, your fellow players on the forum.

« Last Edit: 23 November 2017, 17:15:13 by SteelRaven »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 14 November 2017, 13:34:01 »
No apologies needed at all, everything is good. Welcome to the game and to the forums.

What he said. You're certainly not stirring a pot, for sure!

That in mind, you did ask for introductions and I didn't, which was rude of me.

I'm a 25-year (good lord...) veteran of the game, dating back to being 12 and being talked into it by a friend's older brother. His group was jumping ahead to the Clan invasion era, and needed Clan players to beat on join their games, so he talked his brother and friends into playing. The games were hideously rigged against us, we lost constantly- and if we weren't losing, the rules would change to ensure we DID. After a few weeks of that, most of us quit- and started getting books and box sets of our own to learn the game the RIGHT way. My original Battletech book, a copy of TRO:3055, still sits proudly on my shelf despite decades of loving abuse. From there came Mechwarrior 2, an increasing number of books, eventually a couple of miniatures, and... what a literal life-changing journey it's been.

I became a member of the Demo Team (then called 'Commandos') in late 2004, a moderator on these forums in 2006, and an administrator in 2015, a decision no doubt regretted by my colleagues ever since. I also had the honor of contributing to the most recent core rulebook, Campaign Operations. Along the way I've been proud to teach a glut of players young and old, become friends with many of them, and get to know (both in-person and via the forums) a great many Battletech players from around the world.

I reside in the Washington D.C. suburbs, work for a non-profit, and spend my days happily painting Battletech miniatures numbering into the hundreds, which the better half smiles and pretends to be okay with.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #17 on: 19 November 2017, 02:21:45 »
Ahoy hoy, Steve, 37 from the UK. I work in customer support and started playing battletech when I was about...12 - 14.  Me and my friend Andrew had seen the movie Robot Jox and one day whilst mooching round Basildon we went to a game shop and saw an original boxed copy of the battletech game (the one with the plastic unseens).  We pooled our pocket money, saved up and bought it :) 

Although I don't play battletech anywhere near as much as I wish I could, I still love the universe and setting and have contributed towards it in my own little way with art commissions and a free fan made publication which you can find out more about here. - http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=59443.0
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #18 on: 19 November 2017, 03:47:39 »
Welcome to the forums I'm Mike from Scotland

I don't play nearly as much as I'd like to and nowadays enjoy the lore of BattleTech and the universe and of my own timeline of the universe (with a little help and a lot of thanks)

I love that in this game you can build almost anything a BattleMech, vehicle, Battle Armour Suit, Regiment, DropShip, WarShip, Planet, Solar System you name it this game is almost completely customizable
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #19 on: 19 November 2017, 04:48:12 »
More introductions?

OK, so I'm Lorcan, I'm 40 and I work in the IT department of a major medical equipment manafacturer in Ireland.  I got the 2nd edition box set something like 26 years ago, but didn't really get into the game for a few more years after I drifted away from 40K.  It's been my primary tabletop game ever since, though I also play Hordesmachine, and DropFleet and DropZone Commander. 

I became a mod here around 5 years ago, and somehow I haven't alienated everyone yet!  Outside of gaming, I read, walk my dog, be a husband and engage in political activism.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #20 on: 19 November 2017, 04:53:25 »
Welcome!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: 19 November 2017, 08:25:23 »
Howdy! I used to play back in my college days (back around the turn of the century) and dropped out after I moved on, and couldn't find a regular group. Just got back into it when I was at GenCon and played a game of Alpha Strike, and was immediately hooked. Now I'm trying to teach some of my RPG group how to play, because big stompy robots blowing each other away is pretty dang awesome.

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 19 November 2017, 22:39:05 »
Hello again Mackie,

My apologies for lacking manners. I'm a daft old retired submarine sailor that got hooked on D&D in 1975, stumbled into Traveller, tripped into BT, Renegade Legion, Albedo, and a few other games ever since. Unfortunately, I've not found any games close by so I work on learning the construction rules.

My BT collection is mainly from FASA, five FanPro BT books, and Catalyst Game Labs, TW, TO, SO, AToW, IO, and most of their free stuff. I also have the most of the BT magazines. Any questions on the FASA rules I may be able to dig-up an answer if the research gods are with me.

Again welcome to the forums and I'm relatively sure someone here will be able help you out.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #23 on: 20 November 2017, 11:42:07 »
Hi guys. Moderator with mod hat on.

The OP just wants a nice clean thread on intros. The back-and-forth isn’t helping. To those continuing to respond: Phaedros: knock it off. Hellbie: knock it off. The mods are big boys and girls and can take our ham-handed authoritarian jabs with aplomb. Real complaints are directed to our PMs and the report button.

Sorry about that, carry on.

Oh right. Intros. I’m a university researcher (with only an undergrad, weirdly enough) and I make drones safer and less likely to hit airplanes.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 20 November 2017, 17:23:07 »
I sincerely apologise Mackie, I welcomed you but didn't introduce myself.

I started playing Battletech at 15 in the fall of 1987. I remember when because it was right after we moved back to the States and the person that introduced me to the game was really the first person I'd befriended in my new high school. I've played ever since.

In 2006 I joined the Commando program, we became Demo Agents the following year. Obviously, I'm also a Moderator hear. I've contributed one design to the universe (the Bowman 3) so far, I've also been a playtester and fact checker.

If you have any questions everyone here will be glad to try and answer it.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Register