Author Topic: The 5th FedCom, nuclear weapons, and conspiracy.  (Read 4276 times)

abou

• Captain
The 5th FedCom, nuclear weapons, and conspiracy.
« on: 02 February 2019, 17:11:46 »
Was it ever declared how or why the 5th FedCom was pointed to the weapons depot that held the nukes? I feel this was alluded to in Isle of the Blessed, but it has been a while since I read that. Even then, it didn't make much sense as to the purpose.

Any of you guys have better insight?

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: The 5th FedCom, nuclear weapons, and conspiracy.
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2019, 13:24:19 »
Always figured Katherine or one of her cronies gave the order to point them to the cache, while it was stockpiled with plenty of conventional weapons the nukes might have been a surprise or were not expected to be taken and used.

I've always believed Annette Leyland was always more guilty of bad judgment rather than the scapegoat in a conspiracy.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2019, 14:26:35 »
Its discussed at the end of the Isle of the Blessed, one of Jackson Davion's staff, who he considered a friend, gave the information to Atomic Annie.

Did FM3085 ever mention what happened to the Black Rats?  Jackson did not really seem eager to welcome them back . . . so whoever ended up in charge of the AFFS might have behaved differently.  I honestly wonder about where they were in the Periphery and how their pirate hunting for survival went.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2019, 16:59:32 »
Its discussed at the end of the Isle of the Blessed, one of Jackson Davion's staff, who he considered a friend, gave the information to Atomic Annie.

Did FM3085 ever mention what happened to the Black Rats?  Jackson did not really seem eager to welcome them back . . . so whoever ended up in charge of the AFFS might have behaved differently.  I honestly wonder about where they were in the Periphery and how their pirate hunting for survival went.

The Black Rat survivors ended up joining the 12th Vegan Rangers after the Jihad while the unit was struck from the AFFS Rolls.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2019, 17:14:55 »
Which was the Rangers unit on New Avalon, right?
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2019, 12:54:11 »
Which was the Rangers unit on New Avalon, right?

I believe so, I do believe they were there at the end of the Jihad.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2019, 07:07:26 »
The Black Rat survivors ended up joining the 12th Vegan Rangers after the Jihad while the unit was struck from the AFFS Rolls.

IIRC they had warrants out for their arrest pre-Jihad... I suppose turning back up and using some canned sunshine on Blakists so they could fight the good fight earns them at least some gratitude.

Edit: Just read Isle of the Blessed. I don't think it actually stated who provided them the warheads. Or maybe I missed something.
« Last Edit: 07 February 2019, 09:52:16 by VhenRa »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2019, 10:57:30 »
Go back and read the last portion then, because Jackson Davion finds out who his leak is and that person is tied to the Canned Sunshine Conspiracy.
Colt Ward

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 07 February 2019, 16:52:05 »
Go back and read the last portion then, because Jackson Davion finds out who his leak is and that person is tied to the Canned Sunshine Conspiracy.

Not quite. The evidence presented at the end of Isle of the Blessed is with regards to who was in on the plot to Nuke the WoB forces on New Avalon, which involved slowing down AFFS units, as well as shifting around logistics support and falsifying the presence of enemy WarShips.

It has, as far as I know, nothing to do with the original question of "Who gave Atomic Annie the warheads."

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2019, 21:35:06 »
Not quite. The evidence presented at the end of Isle of the Blessed is with regards to who was in on the plot to Nuke the WoB forces on New Avalon, which involved slowing down AFFS units, as well as shifting around logistics support and falsifying the presence of enemy WarShips.

It has, as far as I know, nothing to do with the original question of "Who gave Atomic Annie the warheads."

Yeah, thats my read on it. The person revealed would have had no motive to provide Atomic Annie with the warheads. They were on opposing sides of the Civil War ffs. And would be questionable on even finding out about said warheads. Whats a RCT CO doing knowing about a dozen or two warheads.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #10 on: 07 February 2019, 23:01:30 »
 . . . Jackson Davion was Katherine's Marshall, pretty sure his staff did not change.  Annette Leyland supported Katherine in the FCCW- which means when she was screaming for reinforcements on Axton from New Avalon, it was the Marshall's staff that would have seen it.  Unless you want to say it was Simon Gallagher who passed her the information- which is possible since he was Katherine's hatchetman in the Defense establishment.
Colt Ward

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 07 February 2019, 23:20:33 »
. . . Jackson Davion was Katherine's Marshall, pretty sure his staff did not change.  Annette Leyland supported Katherine in the FCCW- which means when she was screaming for reinforcements on Axton from New Avalon, it was the Marshall's staff that would have seen it.  Unless you want to say it was Simon Gallagher who passed her the information- which is possible since he was Katherine's hatchetman in the Defense establishment.

Jackson Davion was Katherine's Marshal, yes.

William Kossacks, the one arrested at the end of Isle of the Blessed, was CO 2nd Davion Guards RCT and fought alongside Victor's forces at end of the FCCW. A Victor aligned officer is kinda unlikely to be arming Katherine's people with nukes, no?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2019, 16:16:56 »
I will be honest and say I always looked at it as she was in the given the info/leaked by WOB, with the goal of causing an massive escalate the FedCom Civil War and the damaged caused as both sides might start nuking places as matter for choice.

Of course this also leads to my next point, when people claim that the TC brought nukes into their reclaiming worlds from the FS.  Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, after all if you believe her story, she "found" a massive AFFC cache of WMD and showed that Fedcom troops had no remorse about using them if the battle wasn't going their way.  (ie the Fedcom became the like the good old TC when access to nukes was given)
Case in point after she made landfall on New Avalon, following the use of Nukes against WOB she was not locked up instantly even though she was "wanted" for using WMD earlier.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2019, 18:31:03 »
. . .  Unless you want to say it was Simon Gallagher who passed her the information- which is possible since he was Katherine's hatchetman in the Defense establishment.

See, this is actually what I was thinking. He’s was the sort of honourless, victory at any cost type who’d go the nuke option/wouldn’t ask any questions when his Ruler ordered him to do so.
And that’s exactly why Katy Steiner appointee him.

Of course we have no proof of this. Just fits with my head canon

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2019, 18:36:45 »
I will be honest and say I always looked at it as she was in the given the info/leaked by WOB, with the goal of causing an massive escalate the FedCom Civil War and the damaged caused as both sides might start nuking places as matter for choice.

Of course this also leads to my next point, when people claim that the TC brought nukes into their reclaiming worlds from the FS.  Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, after all if you believe her story, she "found" a massive AFFC cache of WMD and showed that Fedcom troops had no remorse about using them if the battle wasn't going their way.  (ie the Fedcom became the like the good old TC when access to nukes was given)
Case in point after she made landfall on New Avalon, following the use of Nukes against WOB she was not locked up instantly even though she was "wanted" for using WMD earlier.

The fact she had come to New Avalon with her troops and the FedSun's needed all the reinforcements it could get also made arresting her problematic. There was a good chance her troops might mutiny if she was arrested. And all they really wanted was to once again serve honorably in defense of the realm.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2019, 10:43:29 »
So what you are saving that if Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline and her gang had landed in the place of Atomic Annie and hers, the FedSuns would have looked the other way, because they were that desperate for troops.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2019, 13:24:00 »
Very possibly, bad situations make the strangest of bedfellows.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 03 March 2019, 17:35:55 »
So what you are saving that if Paula "Lady Death" Trevaline and her gang had landed in the place of Atomic Annie and hers, the FedSuns would have looked the other way, because they were that desperate for troops.

Well it helps that Atomic Anne and the 5th FedCom were a FedSun unit. I doubt Pirates would have been treated quite so well by either side.

Enemy's of all Mankind and all that.

phoenixalpha

• Warrant Officer
  • For God, Prince Davion & the Federated Suns
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2019, 02:41:08 »
I think if pirates showed up and offered to fight shoulder to shoulder with you in such a desperate situation, you'd be happy at anyone helping irrespective of their previous records.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2019, 05:41:15 »
Jean Lafitte's men at the Battle of New Orleans 1812 come to mind...

(I trust that 1812 is long ago enough to pass Rule 4)
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 05 March 2019, 05:57:24 »
Jackson Davion was Katherine's Marshal, yes.

William Kossacks, the one arrested at the end of Isle of the Blessed, was CO 2nd Davion Guards RCT and fought alongside Victor's forces at end of the FCCW. A Victor aligned officer is kinda unlikely to be arming Katherine's people with nukes, no?

Sorry random interlude: why was he arrested?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 05 March 2019, 10:41:47 »
He was arrested for falsifying reports, moving units around and delaying reinforcements in order to provide cover for a plan to nuke the WoB forces on New Avalon.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 March 2019, 19:03:43 »
That seems.... odd or silly I can't decide which. I'll have to acquire and read now.

Thanks.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 05 March 2019, 19:10:22 »
Basically he wanted to use nukes of the WoB forces on New Avalon, Jackson said no, so Kossacks went behind his back and conspired with Leyland to use the nukes. That's what he was arrested for.