Author Topic: Hover APC/IFV.  (Read 4195 times)

Zaskar24

• Corporal
Hover APC/IFV.
« on: 31 March 2019, 10:16:33 »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for ideas for a hover APC/IFV that can carry a platoon of conventional infantry, available to mercenaries in the Dark Age, and is fusion powered. I have looked through the MUL and am having a hard time finding anything besides the Maxim variant that has a 16 ton infantry bay. Any help would be appreciated. Worse case scenario is that I make a fully custom one. 

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: Hover APC/IFV.
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2019, 10:31:35 »
The Saxon APC should fit your needs.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2019, 10:49:14 »
There are some old designs still on the list like the can’t beat the price heavy hover apc. There’s also the blizzard. For something more modern, see the Winterhawk or the aforementioned Saxon

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2019, 10:54:07 »
The heavy APC has a fusion engine?  ???

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2019, 11:06:19 »
The heavy APC has a fusion engine?  ???

Oops missed that bit. Scratch my entire post  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Zaskar24

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2019, 11:31:58 »
Thank you for the replies. I know that I don't really need the fusion engine since this is my non-cannon unit, I just like to have them for long range actions. Silly, I know. As of right now the Saxon is at the top of the list. Now I just need minis made for it. Or I customize something or say that we found a pair of Bandit's somewhere that survived the Jihad and everything else that happened since that time.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2019, 13:08:43 »
No Saxon mini (or a big chunk of the other stuff post 3067). You’ll have to mod or proxy

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2019, 13:28:11 »
don't know if it's still around in the dark age, but the bandit qualifies for the rest.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2019, 13:35:08 »
For some reason it wasn’t on the gents mercs list but it wouldn’t be hard to justify

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2019, 14:42:05 »
If you can get hold of MWDA Saxons, they will work just fine on the maps oe tabletop.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Zaskar24

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 31 March 2019, 14:56:57 »
The search for MWDA Saxons begins. Or something that will make a good proxy, or something that I can use for a full custom mass production design.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2019, 01:07:20 »
In addition to the Saxon from Skye, there is the "Eldingar Hover Sled (HMMHV) 'HumHov'" a GB Dominion export in the Dark Age.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2019, 01:23:12 »
There is a fusion powered version of the Maultier. It's technically Taurian exclusive, but the Concordat sells a lot of material so it's not out of the question. Also, there is currently a mini available from iron wind metals.  .
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2019, 12:08:07 »
With how hovers changed between BMR and TW, you would be better off with a VTOL to get places fast (especially if using Jump infantry) or a track to get them places no other vehicle can go- except mechs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Zaskar24

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: 03 April 2019, 21:23:17 »
Thank you for the additional ideas.
The Eldingar (HumHov) looks like what I am looking for Hellraiser. And they make a mini for it!
The Fusion Maultier looks okay, smaller and lighter armored then I was looking for. Thank you for the idea it Liam's Ghost!
It is leg infantry unfortunately Colt. I keep forgetting about the change in rules for the hovers, though a VTOL could still work, just really fragile. Guess I have to look at the hover rules again, though their main job is to get the grunts in position and then fade back and provide support.
I was looking at the Svantovit as a possibility. Not availalbe to Mercs, but spread out widely enough that some might end up in a TO&E.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #15 on: 03 April 2019, 22:07:19 »
VTOLs are no longer as fragile as they were . . . if you can swing a Shun VTOL transport look it up, lol.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2019, 09:55:52 »
I agree with Colt Ward . VTOL is ok . Karnov with a fuel cell engine instead of ICE  can have the same speed :  8 ton infantry compartment and a small laser or support MG and more armor for small money . Increase operational radius by decreasing infantry compartment as needed . This is doable in any ERA but practical around 3070 ish when fuel cell engines become ubiquitous . If you insist on a fusion engine a light Fusion engine weighs about the same you then can have 6 ton infantry compartment 2 ton Angel ECM and maybe vehicle  Steath Armor .  Dark Age is tough to choose how best to apply tech .
« Last Edit: 30 May 2019, 10:02:59 by Col Toda »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2019, 14:36:51 »
Heads up, we are getting 2 new APCs with the Arano SB, though I think both are wheeled . . . one is pretty well armored and has 2 ML and some MGs.
Colt Ward

Register